Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 MLB Thread

Riggo#44

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

How are teams like Milwaukee and LA on the same playing field when LA's opening day team rosters was 60% higher salary wise?

To me, that's what is killing the MLB. There are about 5-6 teams that can (my team included) outspend everyone else by a ridiculous margin.

And yet, the Astros won the World Series last year, and reached the ALCS this year, and Kansas City won a few years ago and also reached the series again.   

Yeah its harder for smaller market teams but they can do it. 

11 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

And yet, the Astros won the World Series last year, and reached the ALCS this year, and Kansas City won a few years ago and also reached the series again.   

Yeah its harder for smaller market teams but they can do it. 

Astros are a top 10 team payroll team. 

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Astros are a top 10 team payroll team. 

This year sure, but last year they ranked 17th, and prior years much worst (20th or worst).  In 2014 their salary was a whopping $51m, which was a tad better than the Miami Marlins, who were last with $50m.  According to spotrac.

I should also bring up the Athletics, although they've had success making the playoffs fairly consistently never seem to do much when they get there.

3 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I don't get Joe West's argument that the Red Sox player didn't reach over the fence. There is no interference if it's over the fence when contact is made.

They definitely got the call wrong. I have no idea what the replay guy is looking at but in slowmo it’s clear.

36 minutes ago, Hersh said:

They definitely got the call wrong. I have no idea what the replay guy is looking at but in slowmo it’s clear.

They must have determined the ball trajectory was going down and if no one touched it, it would have hit the top of the wall. 

Looks clearly in the seats to me ... id be livid if I was a Stros fan. Shades of that asshole maier play.

I hate replay.  I like blown calls by the umps.  It's part of the game, and part of the imperfections that make the game human.  

I loved watching Earl Weaver come out and blow his top.  Could you imagine Lou Pinella politely raising his arm from the top step of the dugout suggesting that he needs a second to see if he wants to challenge a call?  Please.  Our pursuit of technical perfection is ruining some of the very things that make the game great.

6 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I hate replay.  I like blown calls by the umps.  It's part of the game, and part of the imperfections that make the game human.  

I loved watching Earl Weaver come out and blow his top.  Could you imagine Lou Pinella politely raising his arm from the top step of the dugout suggesting that he needs a second to see if he wants to challenge a call?  Please.  Our pursuit of technical perfection is ruining some of the very things that make the game great.

Well if it stops managers coming out and acting like 5 year olds being told no in a toy store, I’m all for it. 

Worst thing about baseball to me is the artificial and over dramatic manager blowups 

Name a Nats playoff series loss that didn't haqve something strange happen...

Also, the Brewers and Astros are nothing like the Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers.  Houston built their team on young, cheap, core players, and added pieces at the deadline last year and this year to complement them (Verlander, Cole).  Now, some of those players are eligible for UFA (Keuchal, Morton, Gonzalez, Maldonado).  To remain the same, the Astros will have to be top 5 in payroll for the foreseeable future (not likely).

That game 4 defense by the Red Sox outfielders was some of the best plays in MLB playoff history. Exactly none of the kids across America saw them because MLB wants to air games at 1 in the morning east coast time.

reason why baseball not appealing to kids? None of them get to see it 

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Red Sox vs. Dodgers is like asking if you'd rather root for Bin Laden or Sadam Hussein. Ugh.

Well, if the Dodgers are Hussein in this equation, call me Uday.  

I'd rather not watch baseball than root for the Red Sox.  Like if there was some weird way that the only reason I could continue to watch baseball games for the rest of my life would be to root for the Red Sox, I'd never watch another pitch again.  I hate them and their fans that much.  

Archived