Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The ESPN layoffs started rolling in today

justice98

ESPN is going the way of MTV, VH1, and CMT to name a few. Those were music channels that realized they could get better ratings by not showing music all the time. Now they dont even show music. 

It's hard to imagine ESPN not showing live sports, but if cord cutting continues to grow and ESPN continues to lose money like they are, they may not be able to outbid the other networks for broadcast rights. 

1 minute ago, Redskin4ever said:

ESPN is going the way of MTV, VH1, and CMT to name a few. Those were music channels that realized they could get better ratings by not showing music all the time. Now they dont even show music. 

It's hard to imagine ESPN not showing live sports, but if cord cutting continues to grow and ESPN continues to lose money like they are, they may not be able to outbid the other networks for broadcast rights. 

except that no one watches those channels anymore.  They are dead. 

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Hes retired now isn't he? 

Sad day, I loved the guy. His football highlights were must see Sunday recaps 

4 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

actually if they had more guys like jayson stark i bet people would tune in.  Their ratings are declining because of guys like stephen a smith.  People want highlights and game analysis. They dont need gossip or race relation talk

Retired, basically, glad he is gone, I've told this story. Basically he is a jerk. 

Stephen A... not the best. Thing is, he is one that raise ratings. 

I haven't really watched ESPN in awhile.  I've just gone straight to NFL/MLB/NBA networks for highlights or I'd rather just go online to seek it out.  Maybe with the newer generations growing up without ESPN being the only option, it's hurting their former monopoly.

I bet the sports leagues are crapping their pants because they won't have ESPN to use as a bargaining chip in the future. The cord cutting is a major concern because if ESPN isn't going to pay a billion a year for NBA and NFL in the future (which they shouldn't) revenue goes down, as do their salary caps. I wouldn't be surprised if within the next 10 years, NFL, NBA, etc. go subscription based like WWE did a couple of years ago. It seems to be going that direction. 

Stephen a Smith doesn't bring in ratings.  Our generations used to wake up and watch sportscenter to find out the late scores and fantasy impacts. With your phone you can do it instantaneously, this new generation has never had the need to watch espn

19 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Stephen a Smith doesn't bring in ratings.  Our generations used to wake up and watch sportscenter to find out the late scores and fantasy impacts. With your phone you can do it instantaneously, this new generation has never had the need to watch espn

This.

I'll go to espn, abc, newsobserver, cnn, and the tailgate on my phone while eating breakfast. TV doesn't even come on in the am.

My news knowledge is robust, especially when China is posting here.

Just now, daveakl said:

This.

I'll go to espn, abc, newsobserver, cnn, and the tailgate on my phone while eating breakfast. TV doesn't even come on in the am.

My news knowledge is robust, especially when China is posting here.

In addition, the standard home now really doesnt' have conventional cable anymore.  

58 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

He absolutely does, there's a reason First Take is as popular as it is.  Now, it got better ratings with the combo of Skip and SAS, but he's not there cuz he doesn't get eyeballs.

If ESPN wants to see a spike in ad revenue and an increase in site traffic, they should do away w/ "insider" content.  It's the most pretentious **** on their website.  And that's saying a lot.  I mean, why pay for a mock draft from Kiper/McShay, when you can go to sites like Walter Football, BR, SI, etc. and get the same/better content for FREE?  It goes on and on....ESPN really needs to re-evaluate how they're handling their business.  Whoever said that they're turning into MTV was spot on. 

3 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

If ESPN wants to see a spike in ad revenue and an increase in site traffic, they should do away w/ "insider" content.  It's the most pretentious **** on their website.  And that's saying a lot.  I mean, why pay for a mock draft from Kiper/McShay, when you can go to sites like Walter Football, BR, SI, etc. and get the same/better content for FREE?  It goes on and on....ESPN really needs to re-evaluate how they're handling their business.  Whoever said that they're turning into MTV was spot on. 

The idea of paying for ESPN insider content always seemed crazy to me.  From what I've experienced with it, the value just isn't there.  

Read point on another site, but this is evidence that the sports bubble will eventually burst and correct itself once the current TV deals expire. There are people like me who only have cable because of live sports programming. Otherwise, I could do without it. If people could without sports and drop cable, imagine what the could do to the rest of the cable networks? If I'm them, I'd be concerned too. 

Archived