Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The ESPN layoffs started rolling in today

justice98

On 4/26/2017 at 4:41 PM, Hersh said:

ESPN went the way of cable news while dishing out billions for TV rights. It isn't the least bit surprising that they aren't in great shape financially. 

their biggest issue is that they thought the cable subscription model would work forever.

Then streaming came.

On 4/27/2017 at 7:16 AM, skinfan2k said:

Stephen a Smith doesn't bring in ratings.  Our generations used to wake up and watch sportscenter to find out the late scores and fantasy impacts. With your phone you can do it instantaneously, this new generation has never had the need to watch espn

this is another issue too

And yet ESPN has seemingly doubled down on Sportscenter, although they are doing different things with the 6pm sportscenter and the SVP sportcenter shows. Making it less about sports highlights, and more about keeping it culturally interesting. I am not sure how this is gonna work long term, but its interesting that they are doubling down on it.

On 4/27/2017 at 8:40 AM, Busch1724 said:

Read point on another site, but this is evidence that the sports bubble will eventually burst and correct itself once the current TV deals expire. There are people like me who only have cable because of live sports programming. Otherwise, I could do without it. If people could without sports and drop cable, imagine what the could do to the rest of the cable networks? If I'm them, I'd be concerned too. 

100%

the next sports contracts with the leagues wont be with networks anymore. We are going to start seeing deals with Twitter, Youtube, etc. 

16 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

the next sports contracts with the leagues wont be with networks anymore. We are going to start seeing deals with Twitter, Youtube, etc. 

Twitter's already started.  They landed contracts to stream games from the NFL, NHL, MLB, and NBA.

On 4/28/2017 at 8:21 AM, BenningRoadSkin said:

their biggest issue is that they thought the cable subscription model would work forever.

Then streaming came.

This. 

ESPN was basically king and Disney's most profitable asset, actually the most valuable media asset on the planet by far; ALL because of the cable tv share.

And they had to pay big bucks to keep those rights with the MLB and the NFL. 

That was only a few years ago.

52 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Ed Werder says Jaworski and Merrill Hoge are out.

OK, these are two people that some of us enjoy because of their experience and knowledge. 

SC is scores & highlights, and nothing compared to what it was in the 80s, or 90s...I used to watch it for about 3 hours in the morning (back then, same segment) because as a bartender, I had to memorize some stuff/stats to work with my guests through the day...in ATL, baseball land for 2 decades.

I can't stand it now.  Just a rant, sorry.  (If Linda did every episode, I might care.  She's been the goddess amongst us sports goddesses for years.):) 

On 4/26/2017 at 6:20 PM, Kilmer17 said:

Aussie rules football and sailing?

Been banging the "we need more rugby on American TV" drum for awhile. ESPN would be a perfect place for it.

On 4/27/2017 at 0:39 AM, NoCalMike said:

I haven't really watched ESPN in awhile.  I've just gone straight to NFL/MLB/NBA networks for highlights or I'd rather just go online to seek it out.  Maybe with the newer generations growing up without ESPN being the only option, it's hurting their former monopoly.

Hell, my TV's been broken for a year now and I still keep up with the Nats just fine. If it's a night game, I can pick up WFED and can listen there. If I can't listen, I can always watch the highlights on Google, see the boxscore on Major League Baseball's website, and read Boswell's column.

Same thing during football season.

11 p.m. SportsCenter was a tradition for me. Now the whole network is completely irrelevant to my life.

15 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Been banging the "we need more rugby on American TV" drum for awhile. ESPN would be a perfect place for it.

I never really watched rugby until last summer. Then, I caught it during the Olympics and I watched every damn second of rugby that came on. I had no idea what was going on half the time, but I was quite entertained.

Count me on the "more rugby!" train.

2 hours ago, GhostofSparta said:

I never really watched rugby until last summer. Then, I caught it during the Olympics and I watched every damn second of rugby that came on. I had no idea what was going on half the time, but I was quite entertained.

Count me on the "more rugby!" train.

Up where I'm moving, there's apparently an adult rugby team and I'm not gonna lie...I'm sorta, kinda thinking about joining. Still in my mid-20s and I've been wanting to get back into sports for awhile.

Need to work on my endurance, though. Having asthma and wanting to get in shape is a ****.

11 hours ago, thebluefood said:

Up where I'm moving, there's apparently an adult rugby team and I'm not gonna lie...I'm sorta, kinda thinking about joining. Still in my mid-20s and I've been wanting to get back into sports for awhile.

Need to work on my endurance, though. Having asthma and wanting to get in shape is a ****.

It's a great sport but make sure you have decent health insurance.

23 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

They let go Marc Stein who was their main NBA reporter, but they are bringing in Woj and some of his team from yahoo.

It does seem they are keeping some of the newer people and bringing in more, at the expense of some vets.  Particularly as it pertains to the NBA.

Archived