Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 7

Riggo-toni

@Voice_of_ReasonNot totally disagreeing with you, but...

To be fair to Tyrion, two of the bigger disasters came from lack of information:  the knowledge that Casterly Rock was out of gold (and therefore not as important strategically), and that Euron had an enormous fleet.  

Another major failing was (I think) because he didn't quite realize the depths of Cercei's ruthlessness after losing her children.  

Battle of the Blackwater was an an example of his strategic mind when informed.  He's brave, but not stupid, smart but not totally elitist about it, and has a good heart.  He also doesn't look down on people less fortunate than him... if anything he can relate to them.  Not trying to suggest he's the perfect Hand, but he's better than anyone else I can come up with.  Bronn, in some ways, might make a better Hand overall... but I don't know that he'd be a fit for Jon.  

Anyway, my initial point was that Tyrion would balance Jon's lack of communication.  He could also help Jon see the world as a bit less black and white, while striving to put out the fires caused by Jon's headstrong righteousness through use of diplomacy.  The fact that you struggle to name a suitable Hand for Jon (I don't blame you) also says to me Tyrion, while far from perfect, might not be as bad a fit as you suggest.  

I kinda want to dispel this nothing that being honorable is somehow also being dumb. There is a difference. You can be honorable and not make stupid decisions. Ned, for example, very honorable but just because he had honor didn't mean he was forced to believe anything Baelish had to say. When someone tells you not to trust them you take them for their word. Ned underestmated how different people were from the North, and that was his downfall. Not because he had honor. Cersei isn't smart because she's dishonorable....she's actually not smart at all when you look at how clumsily she's created enemies.  

On 9/1/2017 at 4:20 PM, Gamebreaker said:

And since this just came to my mind, I think Jon will survive in the end. I feel in a way, he's been raised to rule. He's a Targaryen, but raised with a Stark moral compass. The biggest weaknesses the Targaryens had were their madness and pursuit for power. Jon is a Targaryen who was raised as a ****, he got none of the advantages/weaknesses most Targaryens had. He was raised with no expectations of what SHOULD be his, despite actually having a claim for throne. So that lack of ego and arrogance may result in a far better ruler than that realm has ever seen. He'll have the authority to shape the politics of King's Landing to his liking. Something Ned couldn't do because he lacked that authority, and the place was toxic long before he arrived. Jon could start fresh. A Stark running the Seven Kingdoms would be respected as they were in the North. 

On 9/1/2017 at 9:07 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Agreed.  Jon is the ideal King.  Young, strong, just, and wise.  Stronger and wiser than even Ned and Robb were.  He's been the clear hero of ASOIAF since he was introduced.

These two posts are right about everything, and that's what makes me so sure Jon is going to die. 

GRRM isn't interested in giving you the happy ending where the most qualified and deserving hero ends up on the throne.    

My prediction - Jon gave Dany the ole' babymaker on the boat.  Jon, Dany, Jamie and Cersei all die before it's all said and done. Jon is mortally wounded fighting the Night King.  Jamie dies protecting the baby (a repentance for the Targaryan children being murdered by Lannister forces).  Dany...in childbirth maybe?  I don't know.  Anyway, of our main characters only Tyrion, Sam and Davos survive.  Tyrion takes the baby as his ward, teaching and raising him to be a great king alongside Sam as Grand Maester and Davos his Hand.

2 hours ago, Bliz said:

GRRM isn't interested in giving you the happy ending where the most qualified and deserving hero ends up on the throne.    

He's said the ending to his story would be bittersweet. But he considers the ending to LOTR as bittersweet...so I am more in the camp of a fairly straightforward fairytale-esque ending. As much so as you can get in this story. 

Which is why I think Jon lives and Dany will die. It is Jon's story. I just can't see them killing him. However, similar to Frodo, Jon will never be the same or really find happiness due to everything he has endured in the path to saving the world. Maybe he has a child I don't know.

Maybe Dany gives him a new direwolf puppy as a dying gift. Then Theon will come rolling around and want to buy Jon's bangin white horse but when Jon says it isn't for sale, Theon gets pissed, follows Jon home and beats him senseless at night killing the puppy as well. We then have a new series, I don't know, let's call it Jon Snowick, as Jon just goes around and ruthlessly massacres anyone connected to Theon as he seeks his revenge.  

Ok but seriously, Dany dies, Jon lives, all dragons die, magic has left the realm for good. Jon destroys the throne and ushers in some type of democracy. 

• 2 weeks later...

First, is it time to retire this thread and start a "Game of Thrones - The off-season before Season 8" thread?  Happy to start one up... But don't want to overstep.

Other interesting show related info:

Directors revealed:

http://watchersonthewall.com/game-thrones-season-8-directors-lineup-revealed-old-favorites-return/

EW has just broken the news: the director of “Hardhome”, “Battle of the ****s”, and “The Winds of Winter” is back, and he isn’t the only one. Along with Sapochnik, season eight will also see the return of David Nutter, best known for directing successful pilot episodes for television. In terms of Game of Thrones in particular, Nutter was in charge of the Red Wedding in “The Rains of Castamere”, as well as “The Dance of Dragons” and “Mother’s Mercy”, the best episodes of season five except perhaps for “Hardhome”.

It seems Sapochnik and Nutter will divide the first five episodes among them; we don’t know who will take three (leaving two to the other one,) but Hibberd at EW claims to have heard Sapochnik may direct three episodes, which would leave two for Nutter.

No, the season eight and series finale will be directed by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, who have not only co-directed “Walk of Punishment” and “Two Swords” but also co-written most of the show’s episodes and stewarded Game of Thrones as its showrunners.

Season 8 Budget Revealed:

http://watchersonthewall.com/game-thrones-season-8-budget-revealed/

In a new feature about skyrocketing TV budgets (with a really cool cover, by the way), Variety casually revealed that each season eight episode will cost HBO $15 million.

Kinda bummed I decided to binge this entire show last month, not considering that the final season is at least 18 months away.  :rolleyes:

Where does GoT rank among the best primetime shows of all-time?  Sopranos?  The Wire?  Does GoT top them??

2 minutes ago, youngchew said:

Kinda bummed I decided to binge this entire show last month, not considering that the final season is at least 18 months away.  :rolleyes:

Where does GoT rank among the best primetime shows of all-time?  Sopranos?  The Wire?  Does GoT top them??

I suppose I should try to start watching it. 

Seriously, I am so bad about watching TV shows. I get caught up with other stuff that forces me have to catch up on many TV shows. 

I finally caught up with Sanford and Son last week ( that's a joke). 

Other shows like Breaking Bad... yep... still have a couple episodes to watch. 

Your comparison to those other shows. You have piqued my interest. 

3 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

I suppose I should try to start watching it. 

Seriously, I am so bad about watching TV shows. I get caught up with other stuff that forces me have to catch up on many TV shows. 

I finally caught up with Sanford and Son last week ( that's a joke). 

Other shows like Breaking Bad... yep... still have a couple episodes to watch. 

Your comparison to those other shows. You have piqued my interest. 

Hold up, brother Kosh.  You're posting in the Season 7 GoT thread, but you haven't watched all of the show yet?  :rofl89:

Thank god I didn't post any spoilers.  GoT is up there.  The hype machine behind this show is real.  You must watch it as soon as possible.  Clear your schedule

How the **** could you only watch some of BB and not finish it?!  You're a crazy person!  LOL.  BB was so good, there's no way I could have gotten halfway through it and just tossed it aside to finish whenever.  

haha. This is my second post on the thread. I ignored it all this time. Someone told me that it was ending... I went to the last posts. 

I'm definitely going to check it out. 

BB will finish during the bye week and I will catch up on some other stuff. 

26 minutes ago, youngchew said:

I've watched Sopranos and The Wire multiple times all the way through and it seems fresh. I love GoT, but it's in the tier just below Wire/Sopranos/MadMen. Maybe when it ends, I'll feel differently. 

5 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

I've watched Sopranos and The Wire multiple times all the way through and it seems fresh. I love GoT, but it's in the tier just below Wire/Sopranos/MadMen. Maybe when it ends, I'll feel differently. 

I'm with ya.  Sopranos and The Wire (so basically HBO) changed the game.  Outside of Oz (which is criminally underrated, pun intended), there had never really been a drama of such high quality on premium television, where writers and producers could essentially go as far as they wanted to with the language, violence, and sexual content.  :headbang:

GoT is right there, though.  

56 minutes ago, youngchew said:

I'm with ya.  Sopranos and The Wire (so basically HBO) changed the game.  Outside of Oz (which is criminally underrated, pun intended), there had never really been a drama of such high quality on premium television, where writers and producers could essentially go as far as they wanted to with the language, violence, and sexual content.  :headbang:

GoT is right there, though.  

I've never given the acting in GoT much thought. It's good enough for me. BUT when people bring it up, it's a good point. Sopranos and The Wire could hire mature actors with acting chops. GoT had to sign young actors and hoped they grow in their ability. The older cast members in GoT are pretty good actors.

31 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Charles Dance CRUSHES his character in GoT. Tywin Lannister.

He IS GoT, IMO.  Love his character and the actor that portrays him.  A lot of people on the GoT forums consider John or Dany to be the main characters.  I think it's Tywin.  Lena is great as well, she really makes you hate her LOL. 

Jarah and The Hound are my favorite charters outside of Tywin.  Davos, Tormund, and Brinn are quietly very likable as well.  Wait, why do I like so many dudes?  :mellow:

22 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

So does Diana Rigg. Lady Olenna. The scenes between her and Charles Dance, and right through to her scenes with Dany and Jaime. Stellar!

Oh yeah, love(d) her!

2 hours ago, visionary said:

GOT may be my favorite all time show.  But I love fantasy and similar stuff and don’t really care for mob or drug related shows Iike the others mentioned.

I agree, I've watched the others but they do not draw me. 

Archived