Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 7

Riggo-toni

Hate to continue the tangent, but Rothfuss is a heck of a writer.  His afterward (or was it the forward) about his mini book was so apt and hilarious, IMO.  

@stevemcqueen1Malazan is really heady (IMO), and so I don't recommend it to many people.  I think you, judging by your posts, would ****ing love it.  It's awesome in the biblical sense - incredible scope, writing, imagination, character building, and so on.  

Edit:  I made it sound grandiose, but it features huge chunks of nitty gritty, highly entertaining, cursing 'Bridgeburners' (think Marines).  Everyday, blue collar folks interacting/fighting with gods, monsters, and super heroes.  

Joe Abercrombie and Miles Cameron are my other favorite writers right now.  

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I have no problem with Sanderson.  He was given an impossible task and it didn't work.  No writer could have pulled it off, it was very decent of him to put in the work to try to finish the story for the fans and it speaks to his lack of ego.  Most successful writers would have said Hell no to Jordan's widow.  You just can't tell a story like that when it's not your own.

That said, reading Wheel of Time for the first time is an enriching experience.  It sparked my love for High Fantasy when I was a kid and it's still my favorite series to this day.  I'm not going to lie, I've outgrown it a tad bit because Jordan the stylist is no great shakes.  And that gets to me now.  But as someone with a passion for history, I have the utmost respect for Jordan the historian.  First rate world builder.  He's like the more disciplined and genteel older brother to GRRM.

I'd still recommend reading WoT, just be aware going in that you're probably going to give up soon after you get to Sanderson's books because it won't feel right any more.

Understood. I have the first book on Wheel of Time on my Nook. Still haven't made it through my backlog of books to get to it yet. I would recommend giving Sanderson's work a shot. Mistborn is looking at a media deal for movies or a TV show. 

36 minutes ago, Yohan said:

Book 3 comes out later this year. He is crushing both GRRM and Patrick Rothfuss in this department.

I can't wait. My co-worker is a big fan of this series too. He let me borrow Sanderson's collection of short stories, in it is a brand new novella about Lift from the Stormlight series, it takes place in between books 2 and 3. It was very good and got me excited for Book 3. 

14 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Joe Abercrombie and Miles Cameron are my other favorite writers right now.  

Miles Cameron, huh? Famillar with the Traitor Son Cycle? I'm reading Book 3 now. 

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I have no problem with Sanderson.  He was given an impossible task and it didn't work.  No writer could have pulled it off, it was very decent of him to put in the work to try to finish the story for the fans and it speaks to his lack of ego.  Most successful writers would have said Hell no to Jordan's widow.  You just can't tell a story like that when it's not your own.

That said, reading Wheel of Time for the first time is an enriching experience.  It sparked my love for High Fantasy when I was a kid and it's still my favorite series to this day.  I'm not going to lie, I've outgrown it a tad bit because Jordan the stylist is no great shakes.  And that gets to me now.  But as someone with a passion for history, I have the utmost respect for Jordan the historian.  First rate world builder.  He's like the more disciplined and genteel older brother to GRRM.

I'd still recommend reading WoT, just be aware going in that you're probably going to give up soon after you get to Sanderson's books because it won't feel right any more.

I'm a Sanderson fan so when I got to his books I was cool with it.  It does change, and it's weird, but not all the changes are bad.  Robert Jordan really liked to meander in his story telling.  To the point of absurdity.  I don't mean a few hundred pages but a few damned books in the middle of the series.  Sanderson is less prone to wandering and did a admirable job all things considered.  He's also got some other series that are fantastic.  I like Mistborn more than WoT.  No one imagines and then successfully builds a creative fantasy world like Sanderson.  

5 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

cannot recommend Mistborn and Stormlight Archive enough

i also have no doubt that Sanderson will finish his 10 book epic before Winds of Winter is ever released

I hope the next Stormlight Archive is 2000 pages long.  That's how I feel about that series.  More I just want more. 

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

i want that 3rd Rothfuss book more than what is considered acceptable for a rational 32yr old male

I've reread the first two twice.  Each time I hate him more for dragging his feet.  Why is he a damned inn keeper, and just what the hell happened.  I have to know these things! 

Also this article on why he hasn't released the third book is funny:http://blogs.publishersweekly.com/blogs/shelftalker/?p=21238

Rothfuss always intended to write a two-book unfinished trilogy as a kind of malevolent art form which he hoped would impress Andy Warhol’s ghost.

5 hours ago, Destino said:

I've reread the first two twice.  Each time I hate him more for dragging his feet.  Why is he a damned inn keeper, and just what the hell happened.  I have to know these things! 

Also this article on why he hasn't released the third book is funny:http://blogs.publishersweekly.com/blogs/shelftalker/?p=21238

He's got a movie and tv deal for his work with Lionsgate. Apparently Lin Manuel-Miranda is a huge fan of his work and signed on as executive producer and will create the music for it.

3 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

He's got a movie and tv deal for his work with Lionsgate. Apparently Lin Manuel-Miranda is a huge fan of his work and signed on as executive producer and will create the music for it.

What?  Haha, that's nuts!

14 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

No one is talking about the potential love square of Brienne-Jamie-Tormund-Hound. Who wins the, ahem, hand of Lady Brienne??

I felt like the Brienne/Hound conversation was more of divorced parents speaking about their muderous spawn.

Tormund seems like he'd be down for a Brienne sammich.

9 minutes ago, Yohan said:

I felt like the Brienne/Hound conversation was more of divorced parents speaking about their muderous spawn.

Tormund seems like he'd be down for a Brienne sammich.

Brienne wants Jamie, but we're not sure it's mutual

Tormund wants Brienne, but we're not sure it's mutual

Brienne and Hound have Arya. Relationships have been built on much less.

Something I like from the rewatches... Hound telling Gentry not to "weige?" about the Brotherhood selling him to the red priestess.

What gives me a chuckle: Hound practices what he preaches. The Brotherhood held him captive and tried to kill him in trial by combat. But they're all friends now--don't see Hound weiging about it.

Lady Brienne left Hound for dead. But you don't see him weiging about it, he gets along great with Brienne. Ditto Arya, from his reaction he's basically proud of her progress, though she left him mortally wounded and in great pain.

And the Mountain? Despite the history, still no weiging. Just a stone-cold, "You know who's coming for you." Period.

Yep, Hound knows a thing or two about not weiging! Listen to the man Gendry.

Btw, on facebook, some folks were authoring opinions on what they thought would happen.  Here's mine:

1. Arya kills Cercie

2. Mountain kills Arya

3. Hound kills Mountain

4. Bron kills Hound

5. Grey Work kills Bron. Grey Worm Lives! He and Missandei retire to somewhere and have lots of "outer-course." for the rest of their lives.  They deserve it.  

6. Dragons all kill each other

7. Theon/Yara kill Euron.  Theon/Yara die in the process. (Hopefully quickly so half of Season 8 is not tied up with Greyjoy nonsense)

8. Brienne kills Jamie because Bran tells her that Jamie is the one who pushed him out the window, and Sansa orders Brienne to "Off with his head!"

9. Brienne Lives! (Reward to the most honorable person on the show that actually has a brain, unlike the dumb-ass Starks.)

10. Night King/WW's kill Tormund and Berrick.  (They're not dead yet.  But they will be soon.)

11. Bran/Jon(Aegon) kill Night King.  Bran dies as they are linked, and neither can survive without the other.

12. Jorah kills Jon(Aegon) in his sleep on Danny's orders.  She wants the throne more than hot incest sex.  

13. Jorah kills himself when he finds out that he's still in the friend zone.  

13. Sansa kills Danny using Long Claw.  Brienne has secretly been teaching her to fight.  She becomes a bad-ass. And she's a foot taller than Danny.  Danny fights bravely, and dies quickly.  

14. Sansa marries Pod, after Tyrian informs her about his prowess in the bedroom.  They rule Westeros from Winterfell. They practice his skill as a lover often, giving Sansa the first true happiness in her life.  They have several heirs. 

15. Tyrian, having failed at all strategy in the last 2 seasons, is banished to go rule Mereen.  (Which might be fate worse than death) His banishment causes him to drink himself to death in a brothel.  (Fitting end. He drinks.  Turns out he didn't know things.)

15. Brienne kills Varys. Confirms he's not a mermaid. She doesn't like spies.  

16. Sansa/Pod disband the Night's Watch, leaving Sam to screw Gilly without guilt whenever he wants to.  They end up with 10 babies.

The End.  

EDIT: For those that can't figure it out, that was sarcasm... :P  

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Btw, on facebook, some folks were authoring opinions on what they thought would happen.  Here's mine:

1. Arya kills Cercie

2. Mountain kills Arya

3. Hound kills Mountain

4. Bron kills Hound

5. Grey Work kills Bron. Grey Worm Lives! He and Missandei retire to somewhere and have lots of "outer-course." for the rest of their lives.  They deserve it.  

6. Dragons all kill each other

7. Theon/Yara kill Euron.  Theon/Yara die in the process. (Hopefully quickly so half of Season 8 is not tied up with Greyjoy nonsense)

8. Brienne kills Jamie because Bran tells her that Jamie is the one who pushed him out the window, and Sansa orders Brienne to "Off with his head!"

9. Brienne Lives! (Reward to the most honorable person on the show that actually has a brain, unlike the dumb-ass Starks.)

10. Night King/WW's kill Tormund and Berrick.  (They're not dead yet.  But they will be soon.)

11. Bran/Jon(Aegon) kill Night King.  Bran dies as they are linked, and neither can survive without the other.

12. Jorah kills Jon(Aegon) in his sleep on Danny's orders.  She wants the throne more than hot incest sex.  

13. Jorah kills himself when he finds out that he's still in the friend zone.  

13. Sansa kills Danny using Long Claw.  Brienne has secretly been teaching her to fight.  She becomes a bad-ass. And she's a foot taller than Danny.  Danny fights bravely, and dies quickly.  

14. Sansa marries Pod, after Tyrian informs her about his prowess in the bedroom.  They rule Westeros from Winterfell. They practice his skill as a lover often, giving Sansa the first true happiness in her life.  They have several heirs. 

15. Tyrian, having failed at all strategy in the last 2 seasons, is banished to go rule Mereen.  (Which might be fate worse than death) His banishment causes him to drink himself to death in a brothel.  (Fitting end. He drinks.  Turns out he didn't know things.)

15. Brienne kills Varys. Confirms he's not a mermaid. She doesn't like spies.  

16. Sansa/Pod disband the Night's Watch, leaving Sam to screw Gilly without guilt whenever he wants to.  They end up with 10 babies.

The End.  

Dany turning on Jon? Brienne killing Jaime?? Booooooo!!!!! 

Image result for boooo gif

25 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Dany turning on Jon? Brienne killing Jaime?? Booooooo!!!!! 

Interestingly, of all of the ridiculous predictions (and most of them are ridiculous, lets be fair) I absolutely could see Danny turning on Jon.  If she finds out she's not the heir to the throne, and Jon is, it goes against her most singular purpose.  And I could see her turning on him.  I could also see Jon having enough dumb Stark in him not to notice until he doesn't have a head.  Aunt-cest sex is good.  Iron throne is better.  

As for Brienne killing Jamie...  that's probably not going to happen.  But I think that if Brienne found out Jamie pushed Bran out of a window to cover up sister-sex ...  I don't think her feelings for him would survive.  

You picked 2 of the more likely unlikely scenarios to boo. :P

Btw, what is that image from?  

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Interestingly, of all of the ridiculous predictions (and most of them are ridiculous, lets be fair) I absolutely could see Danny turning on Jon.  If she finds out she's not the heir to the throne, and Jon is, it goes against her most singular purpose.  And I could see her turning on him.  I could also see Jon having enough dumb Stark in him not to notice until he doesn't have a head.  Aunt-cest sex is good.  Iron throne is better.  

As for Brienne killing Jamie...  that's probably not going to happen.  But I think that if Brienne found out Jamie pushed Bran out of a window to cover up sister-sex ...  I don't think her feelings for him would survive.  

You picked 2 of the more likely unlikely scenarios to boo. :P

Btw, what is that image from?  

It's from the tv show, Community. Really underrated comedy that actually survived 5 seasons on NBCwith low ratings, but due to it's quality it kept getting renewed. 

And yeah, I picked those two because they just jumped out to me lol. If Dany turns on Jon I'd be very disappointed. Maybe it's just me, and I know you and others like Momma think Dany is on the path to the dark side, but I just don't see it. I think it goes counter to her character. The kind of person who would do that, wouldn't be the kind of person who would've spent so much time in the Eastern cities freeing slaves. She would've gone back to Westeros the first chance she got, which would've been years earlier. 

I do agree that if Brienne knew everything Jaime has done that she wouldn't feel the same about him. Despite his character growth, some of those actions are just too despicable for most people to dismiss. 

18 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

It's from the tv show, Community. Really underrated comedy that actually survived 5 seasons on NBCwith low ratings, but due to it's quality it kept getting renewed. 

Hmmm, the girl in front looked a lot like Michelle Tractenburg (sp?) but it wasn't her.  

And yeah, I picked those two because they just jumped out to me lol. If Dany turns on Jon I'd be very disappointed. Maybe it's just me, and I know you and others like Momma think Dany is on the path to the dark side, but I just don't see it. I think it goes counter to her character. The kind of person who would do that, wouldn't be the kind of person who would've spent so much time in the Eastern cities freeing slaves. She would've gone back to Westeros the first chance she got, which would've been years earlier. 

I'm not sure what Path Danny is on, actually.  The post was much more of a joke than anything.  I could see how her character would be single-focused on achieving the throne.  She's already dumped one lover (granted, a sell-sword, and not a King) in order to achieve her goal of sitting on the iron throne.  She could do so again.  And it would seem that GRRM likes to take good guys and make them bad guys, and bad guys and make them good guys.

That said, I have no idea how much of the show GRRM is involved with anymore, and as likely a scenario is that Dany and Jon decide that after they defeat the Night King, they'll keep screwing as King and Queen, and rule the kingdom together.  Or Jon could say, "you wan the throne, have it, I honestly just care about your pretty face and nice rack.  You want to rule, go for it. My watch has ended. Again. Oh, and Sansa can be warden of the North. I'm retired.  Let's go ****"  

I have no idea what direction the show will take.  I kinda think that GRRM, left to his own devices, would not write a "flowers and roses" happy ending.  So, I see something happening between the two of them.

Rose Leslie, btw, probably would like to have Jon eaten by a dragon pretty early in season 8 so she doesn't have to watch her fiance nakedly entwined with Emelia.  (I'm lead to believe the three of them are actually pretty friendly... Business is one thing, but that's gotta be a little awkward...

I do agree that if Brienne knew everything Jaime has done that she wouldn't feel the same about him. Despite his character growth, some of those actions are just too despicable for most people to dismiss. 

When you say everything he has done, what is everything, apart from pushing Bran out a window?  Honest question, I haven't watched the early episodes in a while, I can't remember what else evil he would have done that Brienne wouldn't know about.  Clearly she knows about him killing the Mad King.  Everybody does.  And I'm also pretty sure she knows/believes that Jamie and Cercei are (or at least have been for ages) lovers. 

Though, pushing a kid out of a window is kindof a game changer.  Especially when you're doing it to keep your incest relationship with your sister secret...

I kinda think that if she finds that out, and I have no idea how she doesn't find that out, it's a complete game changer for how she views Jamie.  Whether she kills him or not, I dunno.  Probably not.  But THAT little piece of information HAS to come out now.  Bran doesn't even need 3-eyed Raven knowledge to tell anybody that.  He knows that from just being the kid that was pushed out the window.

So IF Jamie heads up north to Jon, if that little reunion/discovery isn't a MAJOR plot point, then the Double D's are completely asleep at the switch.  Jamie throwing Bran out of a window was the match that lit the fire.  Baelish was the lighter fluid.  But he needed a spark, and that was the spark.  

Daenerys won't kill or turn on Jon.

1 - Blood relationships are paramount to Targaryans.  Not just them either, the other great houses valued fit male heirs above almost anything.  They are forgiven for almost any transgression because they are the foundation of security.

2 - She still holds a candle for the first man she loved and was willing to sacrifice anything to save his life

3 - She values honor and nobility in men.

4 - Since her first PoV section where her character was introduced, the thing she wanted most was the security and love of a stable family.

Finding out Jon is a Targaryan is only going to strengthen her commitment to him.  Jon is the wildcard instead.  But the bottom line with him is that he's Ned's spiritual successor and duty always guides him.

Archived