Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 7

Riggo-toni

Not sure if this has been posted or not. It will add to the Arya discussion. Interesting thoughts.This is all from reddit. I put the spoiler tag on there for anyone who is not up to date with the show. 

•  

Spoiler

• Foreshadowing: We have quotes from as far back as S6 suggesting that Arya will protect Sansa.

• No one can protect me." – Sansa, S6E9
      • You need better guards.” – Arya to Sansa, S7E4
    • Protecting each other: After LF suggests Sansa use Brienne to intervene in the Arya-Sansa catfight, Sansa sends Brienne away and says that she has trusted guards here already. Sansa is not afraid of Arya, nor Littlefinger, and she doesn’t want the honorable Brienne involved in their lying and schemes.

• Arya is trained in stealth: Arya was trained by assassins. She is far too stealthy to let LF know that he is being followed, unless she did this deliberately. In S7E4, Arya walks onto Brienne and Pod sparring just as Brienne says, “Don’t go where your enemy leads you.” In S7E6, the directors deliberately show us Sansa opening and closing a very squeaky door as she goes into Arya’s bedchamber. Yet Arya is able to sneak up on Sansa without a single noise.

• Staged fights: When Arya confronts Sansa about the Northern lords talking badly about Jon in S7E5, the door is wide open. Similarly, when Arya confronts Sansa about the letter from S1, Arya projects her voice just as she is reading the letter. It’s almost as if they want someone to hear their fights.

• The Game of Faces: In what seems to be the most psychotic Arya scene, Arya basically threatens to cut off Sansa’s face and pretend to be her. The entire scene is Arya playing the Game of Faces, presenting lies as truths. She even says that they are playing! She plays this game when she tells Sansa that she remembers Sansa standing on Ned’s execution stage – Sansa fought and screamed, and Arya knows this. Arya played the game when she told Sansa she would never serve the Lannisters – Arya served as Tywin’s cupbearer. Arya tells Sansa she wonders what it would be like to wear her face and her pretty dresses, to be Lady of Winterfell – we are beaten over the head since S1 that Arya HAS NEVER WANTED ANY OF THESE THINGS. Arya is playing the game of faces, and when she realizes Sansa hasn’t caught on to her lies, she hands her Littlefinger’s dagger, symbolically saying, “I trust you and want you to protect yourself from LF’s lies.”

• The third eye: Do we really think there hasn't been a single off-script scene where Bran tells them, "Hey, uh, LF kinda started the war of the Five Kings by lying about this dagger, betrayed our father, and is essentially the reason our whole family is dead." We hear crows when LF comes out of the crypts with Jon, when Arya enters LF's bedchambers, and again when LF and Sansa are talking in S7E6. These noises are very deliberate.

9 minutes ago, Destino said:

But why would anyone trust Sansa?

5 minutes ago, S.T.real,lights,out said:

Not sure if this has been posted or not. It will add to the Arya discussion. Interesting thoughts.This is all from reddit. I put the spoiler tag on there for anyone who is not up to date with the show. 

•  

Reveal hidden contents

• Foreshadowing: We have quotes from as far back as S6 suggesting that Arya will protect Sansa.

• No one can protect me." – Sansa, S6E9
      • You need better guards.” – Arya to Sansa, S7E4
    • Protecting each other: After LF suggests Sansa use Brienne to intervene in the Arya-Sansa catfight, Sansa sends Brienne away and says that she has trusted guards here already. Sansa is not afraid of Arya, nor Littlefinger, and she doesn’t want the honorable Brienne involved in their lying and schemes.

• Arya is trained in stealth: Arya was trained by assassins. She is far too stealthy to let LF know that he is being followed, unless she did this deliberately. In S7E4, Arya walks onto Brienne and Pod sparring just as Brienne says, “Don’t go where your enemy leads you.” In S7E6, the directors deliberately show us Sansa opening and closing a very squeaky door as she goes into Arya’s bedchamber. Yet Arya is able to sneak up on Sansa without a single noise.

• Staged fights: When Arya confronts Sansa about the Northern lords talking badly about Jon in S7E5, the door is wide open. Similarly, when Arya confronts Sansa about the letter from S1, Arya projects her voice just as she is reading the letter. It’s almost as if they want someone to hear their fights.

• The Game of Faces: In what seems to be the most psychotic Arya scene, Arya basically threatens to cut off Sansa’s face and pretend to be her. The entire scene is Arya playing the Game of Faces, presenting lies as truths. She even says that they are playing! She plays this game when she tells Sansa that she remembers Sansa standing on Ned’s execution stage – Sansa fought and screamed, and Arya knows this. Arya played the game when she told Sansa she would never serve the Lannisters – Arya served as Tywin’s cupbearer. Arya tells Sansa she wonders what it would be like to wear her face and her pretty dresses, to be Lady of Winterfell – we are beaten over the head since S1 that Arya HAS NEVER WANTED ANY OF THESE THINGS. Arya is playing the game of faces, and when she realizes Sansa hasn’t caught on to her lies, she hands her Littlefinger’s dagger, symbolically saying, “I trust you and want you to protect yourself from LF’s lies.”

• The third eye: Do we really think there hasn't been a single off-script scene where Bran tells them, "Hey, uh, LF kinda started the war of the Five Kings by lying about this dagger, betrayed our father, and is essentially the reason our whole family is dead." We hear crows when LF comes out of the crypts with Jon, when Arya enters LF's bedchambers, and again when LF and Sansa are talking in S7E6. These noises are very deliberate.

Better then what I was writing out.

27 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

Why did only one of the wights keep moving after Jon killed the White Walker? There's something going on there. 

It was shown that all the dead that a white walker revives will die if the walker is killed. The one that survived thus was reanimated by a different walker, as all the other dead dropped when Jon killed the walker in the group. Really it's just a way for the show to allow Jon to capture one alive.

4 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I wouldn't exactly call Arya a feminist at this point. She's behaving like an out and out sociopath.

She's the character that is literally is able to walk in the skin of others and has rejected her gendered role.  As such she isn't entirely without social justice messaging and symbolism.  

Arya is Westeros feminism.  

White feminism anyway.  Missandei probably isn't interested in hearing about how tough the princess of the north feels her life has been. 

5 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

and they couldn't swim, but they somehow managed to get the dragon strapped up to pull out the water

Come on, they just hold onto the heavy ass chains and ride them down to the dragon. Easy solution 

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This is straight out of the movie Moana.  "This is not who you are, you know who you are."  My 3 year old watches it on loop.  (Good movie, for an animated feature.)  

Thanks for the spoilers ?✋?

@Voice_of_Reason I would quote your post, but damn it was long. I'll just reply by number:

2. I agree with most of your thoughts about Arya and Sansa, but it's my thought that both of them are individually playing Baelish and just haven't openly stated so to each other. Regardless, I also can't say Sansa has done nothing wrong. Arya just isn't aware of what she did wrong. The letter she had no choice to write. Arya doesn't get it because she wasn't there in that situation. I think Arya would sympathize if she was there. But Sansa can absolutely be blamed for betraying her father's plans simply because he was sending her back to Winterfell. And in that part, where Arya stated Sansa wanted to be with her "beloved Joffrey", she was 100% correct. This is why a lot of fans can't stand Sansa. 

5. I think the show would've been better served having the NK just walk to the edge of the hole Viserion sunk in, and simply raise his hands. If they did that, and an undead Viserion crashes through the ice, breathing blue fire, that would've been much better than going with the wights doing all this grunt work to bring Viserion to NK. We've already seen he doesn't need to touch the dead to raise them, he did it at Hardhome. 

1 hour ago, PF Chang said:

Why did only one of the wights keep moving after Jon killed the White Walker? There's something going on there. 

It has been suggested that the White Walker had killed and raised the ones that died when he died. But the one that survived had not been killed/reanimated by him. 

I was engaged in the arya/Sansa arc after this episode. I took their last conversation as Arya helping Sansa, not as show of force or intimidation.

She gave her the dagger to protect herself. I don't think for one second she has fallen for LFs game. She was making sure Sansa had the dagger for protection and playing into Sansa probbaly knowing that it will get back to LF they Sansa. She is playing LF right back. 

I think he dies next episode when Arya reveals that she's known all along 

1 minute ago, Gamebreaker said:

It has been suggested that the White Walker had killed and raised the ones that died when he died. But the one that survived had not been killed/reanimated by him. 

Still that WW must have been a rookie. Or else wherever the rest of the army was a whole bunch of wights just suddenly died. That would be a good clue that something just went down

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

It was shown that all the dead that a white walker revives will die if the walker is killed. The one that survived thus was reanimated by a different walker, as all the other dead dropped when Jon killed the walker in the group. Really it's just a way for the show to allow Jon to capture one alive.

And potentially a way for them to win the war. Which was expressed by Beric later on when he pointed out the NK watching them on the top of the hill. 

47 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

They're boning.....

That's what the writers want you to think, but it doesn't make any sense.

1. Dany told Tyrion tha Jon was too small.

2. Jon was so frozen that they had to pry his clothes off.  So, we know there has to be serious shrinkage going on (i.e. A frightened turtle).

3. Drogo was her last husband.  No way Jon can compete with that while he has shrinkage... Unless it is just a plot hole.

Jon knows where the **** is and how to smooch it. The great equalizer

28 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

I think the show would've been better served having the NK just walk to the edge of the hole Viserion sunk in, and simply raise his hands. If they did that, and an undead Viserion crashes through the ice, breathing blue fire, that would've been much better than going with the wights doing all this grunt work to bring Viserion to NK. We've already seen he doesn't need to touch the dead to raise them, he did it at Hardhome.

I agree with this and actually think it should have cut just before showing the dragon. The NK walks to the edge of the water and raises his hands. Nothing happens. Finally, we see the water start to move and bubble and cut to black. 

Would have given us a week to speculate. And then we never see the ice dragon until it shows up in battle taking us and the heroes by surprise. 

2 hours ago, Destino said:

Those absurd chains would have weighed more than the dragon.  The dragon is a flying creature and as such must be lighter than it looks.  Using those chains to lift it out of the water makes no sense. 

Dragons that large are pretty much aerodynamically impossible anyway, so physics can't really help us here.  

Plus the dragon had to be heavy enough to support the weight of 5-6 adult men + one adult female, roughly 1000 pounds of weight.  I don't think it can do that without being pretty heavy itself.

So basically, magic.

5 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

It's not that the logistics are far fetched.

The problem is that they spent five seasons really establishing the logistics in this world.

The Hound and Arya.

Jaime and Brienne.

Tyrion and Jorah.

The pacing was very deliberate and we got a sense of the scale of this world - even if we didn't establish a great sense of time.

This year, dudes are going from the Wall to Dragonstone and back again in a matter of seconds - all while winter is supposed to have arrived.

Season 5 was essentially devoted to everyone traveling the world and having conversations until they reached their destinations and stuff played out in Season 6.

Season 5 was also the worst season of this show and it's effects are bleeding into Season 7 now. The pacing is completely different. 

Half the problem is that they cut this season into seven episodes. They are trying to convey the amount of story from 10 episodes into 7.

32 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

But Sansa can absolutely be blamed for betraying her father's plans simply because he was sending her back to Winterfell. And in that part, where Arya stated Sansa wanted to be with her "beloved Joffrey", she was 100% correct. This is why a lot of fans can't stand Sansa. 

This really didn't impact Ned that much though did it? The biggest mistake was telling Cersei about his knowledge of the **** children. BUT, knowing what he did about Jon being a Targaryen and how Robert would have killed him, I understand why he wanted to protect the **** Lannister children from Robert's revenge. 

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

Half the problem is that they cut this season into seven episodes. They are trying to convey the amount of story from 10 episodes into 7.

I don't know why we didn't just get 10 episodes for season 7-8. I assume its the larger pay increases that the main cast received and trying to keep those costs down but damn, this is HBO and the biggest show in the world. Stick the landing

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

This really didn't impact Ned that much though did it? The biggest mistake was telling Cersei about his knowledge of the **** children. BUT, knowing what he did about Jon being a Targaryen and how Robert would have killed him, I understand why he wanted to protect the **** Lannister children from Robert's revenge. 

I see what you mean, that was a mistake by Ned too. But Cersei already had plans in place and knew some of his plans by the time they spoke in the garden. Either way, Sansa showed what was important to her, and how dumb she was, by actually thinking Cersei was on her side. 

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

43 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Even for this show it's too much of a coincidence. I think the one wight is controlled by the Night's King and will allow him to spy on the upcoming meeting at King's Landing. 

I'm really enjoying this season, not too bothered by the issues people have with the chains, travel times, etc.

I get the sense that the NK has been waiting for the Dragons, so I'm ok with the chains.  But I do think there could be better ways for writers to address some of the things.  Maybe instead of getting a raven to Danny, Bran could have communicated the info faster, or maybe one of the dragons sensed Jon was in danger like Drogon did when Dany was in trouble.  That would help the timeline.  I love the idea of the dragon being resurrected while still in the lake.  I also like the idea of the other live dragon picking up Jon rather than Benjen saving him.

I will say, I still struggle with the whole plan of capturing one to show Cersi, I really don't think that will help.  And, when Jon went into the water, I had no concern about him being harmed (even though he was underwater (in armor) long enough for most of the wight army to walk away.  That is a change from previous seasons, I used to fear for the characters more.

1 minute ago, PF Chang said:

Even for this show it's too much of a coincidence. I think the one wight is controlled by the Night's King and will allow him to spy on the upcoming meeting at King's Landing. 

They all should have died when Jon killed the WW. 

Then while on the rock getting ready to board Drogon they just grab one and toss it on one of drogons spikes.

Would have served the same purpose revealing that the WW dying destroys the wights without being like "really, only one happened to stay alive?"

18 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I don't know why we didn't just get 10 episodes for season 7-8. I assume its the larger pay increases that the main cast received and trying to keep those costs down but damn, this is HBO and the biggest show in the world. Stick the landing

We will just have to accept this season for what it was: a fast paced transition into season 8, to get to the ending. They needed a bunch of stuff to happen to get to the main battle vs. the white walkers and squeezed it all into 7 episodes. This included resolving the stories of A LOT of main characters, in vastly different parts of the world.

Although I have no clue how they will wrap up this show in 6 episodes. It is rumored that each of the last 6 episodes will be around ~90 minutes.

The average length of episodes is usually around 50 minutes. Over 10 episodes, that's around 500-600 minutes. Six episodes at 90 minutes means, we will get around the same length as a full 10 episode season. 

If it's six episodes at season 7 pacing and episode length, then this show will likely end in a really poor way.

Archived