Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Things in movies you never quite understood...

codeorama

It's hardly fair to even begin to put Shymalan movies on this page.

Really, we could spend all month on just them..   but Signs..  Signs makes NO SENSE.

As said, this alien can't negotiate a pantry door after developing a ship that can traverse a galaxy.

They are killed by water, and yet land on a planet that is obviously nearly ALL water.. we've seen pics of us from space, it's pretty clear to anyone with a scientific mind.. which one would assume aliens that are capable of interstellar travel ARE.

But not only do they land on a planet that is 75% water, they are seen in BRAZIL, which is nearly all rain forest. Death for them literally falls from the sky practically every single day there, but there they are.. 

Fun movie, though, if yu can get past the gigantic plot holes. Usually, i can't take Shymalan because there are so MANY gaping plot holes.. suspension of disbelief is one thing, like someon asked above, how does Ant man control ants..  he's a superhero with super-science.. if you're willing to believe he can shrink, you can accept the rest. 

Superman requires total suspension of disbelief to even begin to accept the premise..  comes to earth, hides out with the Kents, goes off the Metropolis,,..

and then a Kryptonian warlord shows up demanding earth turn him over as a criminal. Earth reacts accordingly, arrests him at least, decides whether or not to turn him over. (I have a feeling if this were real, we'd turn him over right quick.)

But they don't, so, OK, fast forward.. Supes decides the put everyone at risk by staying and duking it out with the aliens there on Earth where everyone is. Couldn't go to the moon or anything.. stays put and puts everyone at risk.

Then we have MASSIVE world machinery that is literally compressing the earth and making it denser to increase the gravity.. and they work for a while so one has to assume they have at least SOME permanent adverse effect on the planet, but apparently not.

Superman and Zod destroy cities, skyscrapers are falling all over the place...   there has to be hundreds of thousands of people dead.

And yet when it's over, they're OK with him... because he saved them from the alien who would have NEVER BEEN THERE if he hadn't been there.

Superman, ok, i suspend disbelief to accept him, his powers and how he behaves... but human beings?

Superman would be villified and driven off the planet. Or he'd have to kill us, because no way human beings would leave him alone. They would hate him, he is literally responsible for a HUGE global cataclysm. 

DC movies.. really, other than Ledger's amazing turn as the Joker.. suck.

I guess the part i dont understand is.. WHY?

~Bang

10 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

How is it the aliens in Signs are advanced enough to travel from light years away, but can't break free from a locked door.

Or react to water like acid, but there's water vapor in the atmosphere.  Is it killing them slowly?  How would they stand a chance in a place like Brazil or New Orleans for that matter with all that humidity?

15 hours ago, DM72 said:

Movies? People do that in real life.

I have never in my life called my sister "sis" or anything like it in a conversation.  Nor has she ever called me "big brother" or anything like it.  And I've never heard anyone say it in a conversation.  (which was why I raised it in this thread...)

Maybe it's a regional thing?

5 minutes ago, Bliz said:

I have never in my life called my sister "sis" or anything like it in a conversation.  Nor has she ever called me "big brother" or anything like it.  And I've never heard anyone say it in a conversation.  (which was why I raised it in this thread...)

Maybe it's a regional thing?

My little sister and I do that occasionally, but more often in whatsapp.  Maybe you just hate your siblings : )

In LOTR, how does Gollum survive so long without the ring?

Bilbo ages significantly in just the time it takes for Frodo to complete the mission, without the ring continuing to keep him young.

Gollum was once relatively similar to a Hobbit.  He held the ring for a long time, during which it extended his life.  And he went a really long time without the ring - from the time Bilbo got it and all the years in between before Frodo left and the time Frodo held it, without any physical change or degradation whatsoever.

Just now, PokerPacker said:

Was that in any of the movies?

At the end of Revenge of the Sith they adopt her to Bail Organa and he is a Senator.  We could always go with the fact that Padme was a former Queen and Senator of Naboo, thus making her born into royalty prior to being adopted into it.

Just now, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

At the end of Revenge of the Sith they adopt her to Bail Organa and he is a Senator.  We could always go with the fact that Padme was a former Queen and Senator of Naboo, thus making her born into royalty prior to being adopted into it.

Yeah, I knew she was born into royalty (if we accept the prequels as having happened), I was just checking if the movies ever said anything about the Organas being royalty.

5 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Yeah, I knew she was born into royalty (if we accept the prequels as having happened), I was just checking if the movies ever said anything about the Organas being royalty.

I don't recall them specifically saying it.  Just watched a clip and the only mention of royalty was when Bail Organa was on the ship with R2-D2 and C3P0 and the soldier (captain) addressed him with "Yes, your highness."  At the 3 min 50 sec mark.

How Professor X has such bad luck. If I were him, I'd just roll my ass off a cliff. Spoilers for all x-men films, including the recent "Logan":

1) X-Men: Cerebro poisoned. Knocks him unconscious for the last half of the movie.

2) X-Men 2: Gets gassed, kidnapped, and mentally raped after mind control device placed on him. Almost kills every mutant on the planet.

3) X-Men 3: Gets ripped apart at the molecular level by one of his students and bff's, Jean Grey.

4) X-Men First Class: Gets shot in the spine and paralyzed, after watching his team leave him and turn to the dark side.

5) X-Men DOFP: Young Charles turns into a junkie and abandons everyone. Old Charles lives long enough to see all his x-men die.

6) X-Men Apocalypse: Again, mind-raped and kidnapped by Apocalypse. Later, almost has his body stolen, and loses all his hair from his psych-fight.

7) Logan: He's old and has advanced dementia and alzheimer's. Accidentally kills all of his x-men in a psychic seizure. Then gets killed by a copy of the man who's his last friend.

Tough life, man.

Can we change this thread title to "How many movies can we suck the enjoyment out of by pretending that fictional movies should be based on reality?"

7 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Usual Suspects --- what really happened? If Verbal aka Keysar Soze just made the story up as he went along .. then how did all those guys end up dead on the boat? 

Really bugs me. 

Verbal's made up his back story and a couple of other non-important parts of the story because he knew how long he had to be at the station before being released. The part on the boat was all true. 

22 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I will not stand for Signs backtalk. That movie is wonderful. 

The aliens are a metaphor for demons and a complete side story to the movie. 

Truth.  A very entertaining and frightening religious allegory.  No different than Vampires/holy water.

46 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Can we change this thread title to "How many movies can we suck the enjoyment out of by pretending that fictional movies should be based on reality?"

Verbal's made up his back story and a couple of other non-important parts of the story because he knew how long he had to be at the station before being released. The part on the boat was all true. 

Not sure youve really thought it through.  

For instance, did the Kobayashi thing actually happen?  We see him in the car at the end, but did he really show up as a lawyer and distribute those packets?  If that part is made up as you say, why was everyone at the boat docks at the end?

It is a problem with the movie as much as i loved it

3 hours ago, zoony said:

Not sure youve really thought it through.  

For instance, did the Kobayashi thing actually happen?  We see him in the car at the end, but did he really show up as a lawyer and distribute those packets?  If that part is made up as you say, why was everyone at the boat docks at the end?

It is a problem with the movie as much as i loved it

The parts he made up have to do with the what they showed him having read off the cops coffee mug and board. I think the meeting with the packets was real, that he killed his own family and that he killed the female lawyer as well. 

12 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The parts he made up have to do with the what they showed him having read off the cops coffee mug and board. I think the meeting with the packets was real, that he killed his own family and that he killed the female lawyer as well. 

Thats just an opinion, really. It's never made clear. Did Redfoot exist?  

Question is, did Verbal make the entire story up, or just change the names?

Archived