Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

EN: Study: 4-in-5 Oklahoma City students can't read clocks

China

Study: 4-in-5 Oklahoma City students can't read clocks

Oklahoma City, OK -- They may miss that hour of sleep, but as we turn our clocks ahead, chances are kids won't be changing their watches.

That's because the vast majority don't have a watch.

A new study shows that only 1-in-10 Oklahoma City kids ages 6-12 own a watch. And only 1-in-5 know how to read it.

"Yeah, I was super surprised," said Caitlin Carnes, who works for the Boys & Girls Club at Santa Fe South Elementary. "When I was growing up that was something that we learned. I don't know if that makes me old or not."

Instead Friday, Carnes worked to teach kids in the after-school program how to read analog clocks, something even the kids will admit they struggle with.

"I think the exposure to technology, everyone's so used to seeing digital," Carnes said. "They all have cell phones and tablets so they don't have to look at a clock very often that's analog."

Click on the link for the full article

10 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I would assume the same could be said for traditional maps?  Anyone remember their parents (or hell, even themselves) having to break out a Thomas Guide anytime they were going to previously uncharted territory?

About 6 months my wife and took a road trip and I turned off the gps.  We routed and took detours all using a paper map.  We had a blast.  I had to do some training with her before we left because she was the navigator .

48 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

About 6 months my wife and took a road trip and I turned off the gps.  We routed and took detours all using a paper map.  We had a blast.  I had to do some training with her before we left because she was the navigator .

The best way to "travel".  Keep a map handy when you need to find your way out or home, but otherwise see where the roads take you. There is an amazing country out there off the beaten track.

My daughter is in first grade she is learning to read a clock. Her friends in public school have no clue how to read a clock face. 

My my wife was a public school teacher and moved to a private school due to many different reasons. It has been a night and day experience with the quality of one on one time with her students and the support from parents and administrators. 

12 hours ago, LD0506 said:

The best way to "travel".  Keep a map handy when you need to find your way out or home, but otherwise see where the roads take you. There is an amazing country out there off the beaten track.

Just don't go TOO far off the beaten track...

1175475919_28d7112c64.jpg

I personally feel like analog clocks are antiquated technology. I cant think of an instance where I would prefer one over digital anymore. I put cursive in the same boat. 

I say this after having to "remind" my courier how to rewind the analog clocks in the office to the correct time. I know he had no idea. He knew I know he had no idea. We didnt speak of it. He cant read cursive either which is amusing to me.  

Seems like it should take all of 2 minutes to teach a kid to read an analog clock. Not a big deal, but kind of a weird oversight. I guess we do live in a digital world, though. At least my infiniti has an analog clock on the dash. It really makes me feel like I'm one with the past.

As someone who collects antique clocks I find it amusing.  This is one of the clocks I own (an Ithaca Calendar Clock from the late 19th century), with a mechanical calendar movement that when set properly knows when it is a leap year and goes to Feb 29th before going to March 1st.

1331092-ithaca-no-8-shelf-library_300.jp

15 hours ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

Wonder how many can write in cursive. 

I can't begin to tell you how many times I've been criticized for using cursive in a memo/notes, as if it's a niche form of communication. 

Archived