Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Now’s the time: Redskins fans should give their hearts to the other local teams

Sticksboi05

3 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

The article doesn't suggest going on hiatus let alone actually quitting, just opening up space for the rest of D.C.'s teams in your fandom while you continue to root for the Redskins. Just so the facts are out here for those who don't want to skirt the paywall.

What's in the article really does not matter when the title makes a different statement. The title says "Now’s the time: Redskins fans should give their hearts to the other local teams."If the title said Redskins fans should consider supporting other teams too, or even more that would be a different thing. But the title makes it very clear what he is trying to do.

I have family that still live in Wash. Several of them that do not even follow sports (It's a wonder I do.") ask me when I go home why the Wash Post hates the team so much.

As for this being an "OP/ED" piece, 95% of what they writer is OP/ED but they put it on the regular Sports team. Also, they should have at least one person on the staff that's not anti Redskins. They get someone come In that's OK, then after 6 mos the article's start turning nasty like the rest. Brewer is a great example. When he first came to the Post he had some reasonable articles. But then he started slanting everything negative also.

I am done with them. Not paying their pay wall either. That goes for any online newspaper. Not just WAPO.

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't know any Nats fans who aren't also Redskins fans.  And really, the only Wizards fans I know of who aren't Redskins fans are from Maryland and they naturally pull for the Ravens and Orioles.

I am a Skins/Wizards/Nats fan who doesn't really have trouble following all three teams closely at the same time.  There's not much of a time conflict between the three sports and I can watch almost every single game for each team.

Is the core complaint of the article that the local sports media spends too much time covering the Redskins?  If so, I'm not the audience for that argument, and I have no opinion on that because I live outside the DC radio market so I don't listen to its programming.  local radio here in Hampton Roads really only discusses the Redskins when they come up in national story lines like they did with this McCloughan thing.  The Wizards and Nationals never get mentioned, but that's because the teams haven't penetrated this market.

It's more, take advantage of the fact that we have three other very competitive teams that are also fun to root for at the moment. Any arguments about media coverage are misguided I think - in the end you gotta cover what will get the most viewers and that is the Redskins. 

Now obviously that will change during playoff runs but Redskins games rightfully get top coverage in D.C. 

The article is basically a Snyder bash piece, nothing new.  But I like the idea of reaching out to Redskins fans to follow the wizards more.  If the wizards got half the attention the skins got, changes would've been made years ago because of the pressure.

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

What's in the article really does not matter when the title makes a different statement. The title says "Now’s the time: Redskins fans should give their hearts to the other local teams."If the title said Redskins should consider supporting other teams too, or even more that would be a different thing. But the title makes it very clear what he is trying to do.

I have family that still live in Wash. Several of them that do not even follow sports (It's a wonder I do.") ask me when I go home why the Wash Post hates the team so much.

As for this being an "OP/ED" piece, 95% of what they writer is OP/ED but they put it on the regular Sports team. Also, they should have at least one person on the staff that's not anti Redskins. They get someone come In that's OK, then after 6 mos the article's start turning nasty like the rest. Brewer is a great example. When he first came to the Post he had some reasonable articles. But then he started slanting everything negative also.

I am done with them. Not paying their pay wall either. That goes for any online newspaper. Not just WAPO.

I'm not going to split hairs about whether or not they decided to use the word "too". It's 2017, headlines nowadays are going to be as provocative as possible - sad but true. Mike Jones, the beat reporter does a great job covering the team neutrally (as is a reporter's job rather than a columnist).

There's no question the Post doesn't shed the Redskins in the best light, but let's be fair, the franchise has been a disaster of mediocrity for over 20 years, you can't and quite frankly, shouldn't sugarcoat that with fluff pieces. I'm strictly talking about FO chaos and on-field mediocrity here NOT the name, that is a completely different entity.

I've gave the Capitals more attention as of late than the Redskins, I've been to 3 caps games this year, had a blast at every single game. Now if we could just get out of this funk we're in right now and get past the second round of the playoffs that would be stellar. 

4 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

I'm not going to split hairs about whether or not they decided to use the word "too". It's 2017, headlines nowadays are going to be as provocative as possible - sad but true. Mike Jones, the beat reporter does a great job covering the team neutrally (as is a reporter's job rather than a columnist).

There's no question the Post doesn't shed the Redskins in the best light, but let's be fair, the franchise has been a disaster of mediocrity for over 20 years, you can't and quite frankly, shouldn't sugarcoat that with fluff pieces. I'm strictly talking about FO chaos and on-field mediocrity here NOT the name, that is a completely different entity.

Sorry, but with all due respect it's not splitting hairs. It was done on purpose. It's not provocative it's a hit job meant to denigrate the team and the fans that still support the team. They can all go **** themselves.

I don't need the Post running their mouths all the time telling me how messed up the team is and then exaggerating it, taking things to entire extremes. Most of it either not true or based purely speculation. I have been following them closely since 1968. I know exactly what has happened. And it's not "fluff" pieces to just provide the actual facts without the skewed slant to it. It's total BS. Just report the facts. Otherwise shut the **** up. I will decide where I put my loyalties on my own thank you.

Let's not forget that as much of this is about the name as anything. They tried to shame Snyder into changing the name and he refused. I believe it's been much worse since then. Last but not least, Boswell has never liked the Redskins. He is a baseball guy. Has always been a baseball guy. He should stick to what he knows.

This has to be the only team in sports that can have back-to-back winning season with 2 divisions and 3 winning season in 5 years to have the local newspapers and many fans trashing the organization. People keep talking about how the Redskins handled the Scot thing. They have said nothing but that they had to separate. All the rest is speculation. But everyone hates Dan Snyder so bad (yes much of it deserved, but not all of it) that they refuse to see or hear anything else.

41 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

The article doesn't suggest going on hiatus let alone actually quitting, just opening up space for the rest of D.C.'s teams in your fandom while you continue to root for the Redskins. Just so the facts are out here for those who don't want to skirt the paywall.

unfortunately whomever created the URL for the article didnt read it either. going by that its easy to see why there is confusion.

40 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

I got ya.  But as you get older you find yourself weeding out a lot of other sports.  Between kids and life you just don't have the hours to invest into it.  Baseball was first to go.  Then NBA.  I only a watch VT and maybe a marquee game for college football.  Rarely even watch college basketball.  I don't even do March Madness brackets anymore.  The Redskins have been the only team that I've devoted about 4 - 5 hours per week on.  (Game plus post game on CSN).  So, Hiatus is the correct term for me and probably many other older fans. 

34 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

It's more, take advantage of the fact that we have three other very competitive teams that are also fun to root for at the moment. Any arguments about media coverage are misguided I think - in the end you gotta cover what will get the most viewers and that is the Redskins. 

Now obviously that will change during playoff runs but Redskins games rightfully get top coverage in D.C. 

This is part of my contention with the area in general--and why I'm so eager to agree with Boz here. Case-in-point, we were in May/June, there was plenty to talk about with the Nationals. And what is the "Flagship Station" talking about? Whether Nate Sudfield should make the team. There were crickets on the phone lines, yet they continued to hammer the issue, and beg for callers. Meanwhile, The Junkies, Danny Rouhier, and Chad Dukes insult and belittle Nats fans if they aren't calling in for every segment. It's lazy. Talk negatively about the Redskins, and there's your show.

19 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Sorry, but with all due respect it's not splitting hairs. It was done on purpose. It's not provocative it's a hit job meant to denigrate the team and the fans that still support the team. They can all go **** themselves.

I don't need the Post running their mouths all the time telling me how messed up the team is and then exaggerating it, taking things to entire extremes. Most of it either not true or based purely speculation. I have been following them closely since 1968. I know exactly what has happened. And it's not "fluff" pieces to just provide the actual facts without the skewed slant to it. It's total BS. Just report the facts. Otherwise shut the **** up. I will decide where I put my loyalties on my own thank you.

Let's not forget that as much of this is about the name as anything. They tried to shame Snyder into changing the name and he refused. I believe it's been much worse since then. Last but not least, Boswell has never liked the Redskins. He is a baseball guy. Has always been a baseball guy. He should stick to what he knows.

This has to be the only team in sports that can have back-to-back winning season with 2 divisions and 3 winning season in 5 years to have the local newspapers and many fans trashing the organization. People keep talking about how the Redskins handled the Scot thing. They have said nothing but that they had to separate. All the rest is speculation. But everyone hates Dan Snyder so bad (yes much of it deserved, but not all of it) that they refuse to see or hear anything else.

I hear you, it gets tiring seeing the team you love criticized as commonly as they are but I would just say that when you've been as bad and chaotic as our Redskins have for over 20 years - chances are when reports come out that things are chaotic, it's probably true. 

The beat reporters know dozens of people in the organizations and have direct access to players, coaches, execs etc. They know more than anyone in this forum. Mike Jones for example, isn't going to risk his professional career making stuff up. There's plenty of junk to sift through in this era of Twitter and social media, but the reporters (not columnists, big distinction) who are with the team every day with enough connections to have a Thanksgiving dinner, are doing their job, and it may hurt to read what they say, but it's going to be mostly accurate unless a source lies to them on purpose.

Anyway, everyone in the area benefits when they do well and that includes publications, so let's hope we keep our momentum going in spite of the front office changes.

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is part of my contention with the area in general--and why I'm so eager to agree with Boz here. Case-in-point, we were in May/June, there was plenty to talk about with the Nationals. And what is the "Flagship Station" talking about? Whether Nate Sudfield should make the team. There were crickets on the phone lines, yet they continued to hammer the issue, and beg for callers. Meanwhile, The Junkies, Danny Rouhier, and Chad Dukes insult and belittle Nats fans if they aren't calling in for every segment. It's lazy. Talk negatively about the Redskins, and there's your show.

That's just the way it is.

Right now, the NFL is king when it comes to sports. As baseball was for many decades (most of them before I was born :) ).

It's why, despite the fact that all sorts of college basketball championship tournaments were going on all over the place the last few days, some of the biggest sports stories were what NFL free agents were going where.

It's why the biggest sports story today is DeMarcus Ware announcing his retirement from the NFL.

It's why more folks care about the upcoming NFL draft then they do the start of MLB's season.

It's why the OTA's and mini-camps will be more scrutinized than the Stanley Cup finals.

It's why folks will put more effort into putting together their fantasy football research than trying to catch the NBA Finals.

Football is king, and a baseball nut like Boswell needs to step away from his articles, take a walk around the block, and explain that to himself. :) 

1 hour ago, kleese said:

The media/fan reaction over the past 2-3 weeks is the most absurd thing I've ever witnessed in my 30+ years of being a Redskin fan. Yes, even more absurd than the Romeo Bandison face mask penalty. 

I am completely baffled. I keep wondering if there has been some news released of which I am unaware, but I look and look and can't find anything and then I'm baffled again. 

Its nuts 

A recap....

The GM has been fired after the team posted it's first back-to-back winning seasons in 20 years.

The team posted a record of 17-14-1 during that time with a division title mixed-in after going 7-25 the 2 seasons prior.

Bruce Allen, while speaking on a Nashville radio show, says the GM is a "great guy" dealing with "family matters" - does everything he can to talk around the speculation he purposely let fester.

A week later, the organization fires him and immediately tells WaPo, anonymously, that the GM was a "disaster" for 18 months and smears him as an out of control drunk that had literally nothing to do with the recent success - stay classy Skins.

Force your GM away from the team, let the media run wild about why, call him a great guy, then fire him with a nice parting gift of anonymous trashing on the way out the door - not sure how you call that par for the course for other NFL organizations but that's absolutely par for the course for this one.

And even if you buy exactly what the Redskins are saying and discount all media reports otherwise - I don't know how you would think the organization did anything above a piss poor job of helping Scott deal with his drinking. Especially considering that Bruce and Snyder knew exactly who they were hiring before they brought Scott in. 

Now throw this little chapter onto the whole Snyder era of Redskin's history. Every ****ing chapter is the same and its gone on for over 20 years! At some point, fans that have invested so much into each one of these Snyder chapters only to realize that it's the same embarrassing/frustrating end as all the others hit a realization that the Snyder era is doomed to constant spectacular failures - the Redskins are not returning to sustained success because of his influence from the top-down, which isn't going away.

Let me be clear, it's not just the losing that has stirred all this up - if this team just lost without all the scapegoating and pettiness there would probably be more apathy than actual outrage. But the Redskins don't just lose, they make a spectacle out of losing by first swinging for shiny new hopes without a clear strategic direction, then throwing everyone out the door under the bus when it doesn't work. Add that to all the ways that Snyder has exploited the die-hard fanbase and I hope you can see why many are fed-up.

All this negative fan reaction is just a culmination of fans that have realized Snyder has turned the Redskins into a classless organization, he's not going to miraculously flip a switch. Wait for the next chapter to end and you'll see another wave of fans "overreacting".

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

What's in the article really does not matter when the title makes a different statement. The title says "Now’s the time: Redskins fans should give their hearts to the other local teams."

The start of this article's title: "Now's The Time"

The start of his previous article's title: "Time For Some Straight Talk"

The start of the article title he will write in 2019: "Now's The Time For Some Straight Talk"...

5 hours ago, hailer21 said:

A recap....

The GM has been fired after the team posted it's first back-to-back winning seasons in 20 years.

The team posted a record of 17-14-1 during that time with a division title mixed-in after going 7-25 the 2 seasons prior.

Bruce Allen, while speaking on a Nashville radio show, says the GM is a "great guy" dealing with "family matters" - does everything he can to talk around the speculation he purposely let fester.

A week later, the organization fires him and immediately tells WaPo, anonymously, that the GM was a "disaster" for 18 months and smears him as an out of control drunk that had literally nothing to do with the recent success - stay classy Skins.

Force your GM away from the team, let the media run wild about why, call him a great guy, then fire him with a nice parting gift of anonymous trashing on the way out the door - not sure how you call that par for the course for other NFL organizations but that's absolutely par for the course for this one.

And even if you buy exactly what the Redskins are saying and discount all media reports otherwise - I don't know how you would think the organization did anything above a piss poor job of helping Scott deal with his drinking. Especially considering that Bruce and Snyder knew exactly who they were hiring before they brought Scott in. 

Now throw this little chapter onto the whole Snyder era of Redskin's history. Every ****ing chapter is the same and its gone on for over 20 years! At some point, fans that have invested so much into each one of these Snyder chapters only to realize that it's the same embarrassing/frustrating end as all the others hit a realization that the Snyder era is doomed to constant spectacular failures - the Redskins are not returning to sustained success because of his influence from the top-down, which isn't going away.

Let me be clear, it's not just the losing that has stirred all this up - if this team just lost without all the scapegoating and pettiness there would probably be more apathy than actual outrage. But the Redskins don't just lose, they make a spectacle out of losing by first swinging for shiny new hopes without a clear strategic direction, then throwing everyone out the door under the bus when it doesn't work. Add that to all the ways that Snyder has exploited the die-hard fanbase and I hope you can see why many are fed-up.

All this negative fan reaction is just a culmination of fans that have realized Snyder has turned the Redskins into a classless organization, he's not going to miraculously flip a switch. Wait for the next chapter to end and you'll see another wave of fans "overreacting".

I don't like reacting to information I don't have. All we know is that they fired him. That's it. Everything else is speculation. You have two

parties neither of which has earned the benefit of the doubt. It's reasonable to think the Redskins smaeared SM and it's reasonable to think SM completely fell off the wagon again. History there of both. 

I don't know and clearly the media doesn't either because no one has really actually said anything-- they've simply drawn conclusions based on history. 

Prior to three weeks ago I never heard a negative word about Bruce Allen as a guy. As a matter of fact that take on him was generally good dude/not so great evaluating talent. And after the Kirk "how you like me now" game the media narrative was that SM was the one catching that heat from Kirk and HE was the one not wanting to extend and he was clashing with Allen/Snyder who wanted to get it done. Now, that narrative has flipped. Maybe because it's true but maybe because it's convenient. 

It is possible SM went off the rails and the Redskins had no choice. Maybe they supported him; maybe they could have done more. Or maybe he was totally sober and they completely did it over power and then lied. Who knows. I sure as hell don't. 

So I just go off what I DO KNOW.

--We've had two relatively solid seasons 

--Roster has stabilized 

--We fired a GM

--We extended our coach

--We signed FAs that I like and I think we've generally been smart thus far in the off-season roster-wise

That's about it. The Kirk situation is TBD. The rest of FA is TBD. The draft is TBD. The GM search is TBD. Next season is TBD. 

I am going to wait and see before I make any proclomations. We trade Kirk, we don't hire a GM, we make questionable draft picks, we regress next year in terms of record.... Well, that's when I'll say "looks like they bungled it again." But it is WAY premature for me to go there now. ESPECIALLY if Kirk does sign a LTD-- I think that would be your signal that this was a whole lot of melodrama and maybe we had a GM with a drinking problem who clashed with the team President. And that might be all there is to it. 

In other words, ask me again in November. 

6 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

I got ya.  But as you get older you find yourself weeding out a lot of other sports.  Between kids and life you just don't have the hours to invest into it.  Baseball was first to go.  Then NBA.  I only a watch VT and maybe a marquee game for college football.  Rarely even watch college basketball.  I don't even do March Madness brackets anymore.  The Redskins have been the only team that I've devoted about 4 - 5 hours per week on.  (Game plus post game on CSN).  So, Hiatus is the correct term for me and probably many other older fans. 

I have been a fan since the 70's, so I would qualify as an older fan and if Snyder blows this deal with Cousins, I am out. The majority of Redskins fans don't live in the DC area and aren't going to migrate to other area teams as a protest move, they are just going to bail and the only remaining hard core fans will indeed be local. Danny boy's reputation as a clueless dolt isn't going away no matter how this plays out. He has systematically destroyed most of the enormous goodwill the franchise had earned prior to his ownership. I knew the day he bought the team it was going to be bad news. A decade later I said he was a jinx. If he sold the team tomorrow 100% of the fan base would rejoice. 

8 minutes ago, fjblair said:

I have been a fan since the 70's, so I would qualify as an older fan and if Snyder blows this deal with Cousins, I am out. The majority of Redskins fans don't live in the DC area and aren't going to migrate to other area teams as a protest move, they are just going to bail and the only remaining hard core fans will indeed be local. Danny boy's reputation as a clueless dolt isn't going away no matter how this plays out. He has systematically destroyed most of the enormous goodwill the franchise had earned prior to his ownership. I knew the day he bought the team it was going to be bad news. A decade later I said he was a jinx. If he sold the team tomorrow 100% of the fan base would rejoice. 

If that's how you feel you should stop being a Redskins fan now. Nothing whatsoever about signing/not signing Cousins should sway your opinion.

10 hours ago, Califan007 said:

If that's how you feel you should stop being a Redskins fan now. Nothing whatsoever about signing/not signing Cousins should sway your opinion.

I think he feels, like myself, that signing Kirk would allow us fans some sliver of hope that the Redskins could still win in spite of Dan Snyder's meddling.  And hopefully, the heat he is feeling will keep him in his bunker long enough for the team to make a run.  Fjblair didn't say he would find another team.  I can't speak for him but for many of us rooting for another team is unthinkable.  We would just stop caring and stop supporting with our hard earned $. 

Since 1999 we've see the same pattern.  The team is making progress.  Danny meddles.  Team does a nose dive.  Danny replaces figure head with someone who thinks they can tame him.  Team makes progress.  Danny meddles... 

The words may change but the tune of the song remains the same.

11 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Well since none of the other teams have ever won a championship this is pretty weak sauce. (And no the Wizards don't get credit for any Bullets records).

It's the same franchise so ... yes the Wizards have been NBA champions before. This isn't like the Nationals taking Senators records. Now the more important thing is it was near 40 years ago so what have you done for us lately.

13 hours ago, kleese said:

I don't like reacting to information I don't have. All we know is that they fired him. That's it. Everything else is speculation. You have two

parties neither of which has earned the benefit of the doubt. It's reasonable to think the Redskins smaeared SM and it's reasonable to think SM completely fell off the wagon again. History there of both. 

I don't know and clearly the media doesn't either because no one has really actually said anything-- they've simply drawn conclusions based on history. 

The larger national media doesn't know but the reporters who follow this team daily and have dozens of in-house connections have a pretty firm grip on the Scot fiasco. Mike Jones didn't write that in-depth piece bored on a bender - he did his proper research and to discredit that isn't really right. The Twitter media that just retweets what the people doing actual reporting are saying however, are the worst and are the reason we have so much nonsense in today's landscape.

I do know that Scot was absent, Bruce blamed it on a Grandma to cover up the damage, then fired him and then suddenly SM was said to be fired because of alcohol abuse. And that is fishy.

It is what it is at this point, but I think people call things they don't like to hear speculation too often.

23 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

I went to nothing. Haven't rooted for another team since I quit the 'skins. 

Same here.  Football is my favorite sport because I love my Skins.  Any other sport I watch is just a pass time but it doesn't get me as amped like when The Burgundy & Gold is knocking it out the park.

14 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

i do think the days of the skins being #1 in DC are slowly evaporating. Once the Nats win a title, things will change. A caps title won't do anything for the city

Nah no matter what it tries to be ,, baseball is still just.. baseball.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love baseball and will watch more than 100 games of it on TV this year, i'm sure.

But it's not the same. The drama is not the same from game to game, there is not the thrill of a chase to sustain 6 months of baseball.

I always get a kick out of baseball broadcasts,, they open up with all the energy, all the fast music, all the highlights of big plays, and then they finish the open, and it's 2 balls and 1 strike, and we're waiting for the pitcher.. and it's another ball.... and so, 3 and 1 now, and the pitcher stares in and... Snooze.

The game of baseball, which i dearly love, is mostly two guys playing catch while 8 guys watch. Occasionally a guy might actually hit a ball, and 95% of the time he will be a routine out. In the entire game, there will be hundreds of pitches (snaps, if you will) and only about 8 of them will result in anything meaningful. to correlate to football,  snap,, and hand it back to the center. Reset, and snap... and hand it back to the center. ..etc. etc. etc.

Hell, 75% of baseball teams seasons are done by June. Even a contender..  the games are by and large the same rhythm.. which is slow.

A pitch clock.. wont really help, because all it will do is speed up the game of catch slightly.  Starting a guy on 2nd to begin extra innings? GTFO with thrt ****..  honestly, if they want to speed up the game, recognize people who are watching an extra innings game are not in any hurry.

Baseball can try all it wants to compete with football, but it just isn't able by it's very nature to generate and sustain the same level of drama and excitement through the entire season that football can.

~Bang

Archived