Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Now’s the time: Redskins fans should give their hearts to the other local teams

Sticksboi05

29 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm surprised they published it too given that it does open them up to criticism for having an obvious agenda.  Stuff like this hurts the credibility of their coverage of the team.  And one of the things that's become apparent to me about this whole fiasco with McCloughan is that sports reporters and analysts have credibility issues.  They will tweet/say poorly sourced innuendo and the rest of the media world will run away with those statements.  I notice that the media world chiefly pays attention to itself.  Then come the stories of how fans are freaking out after consuming their crap information, giving the impression that it's some sort of confirmation of the veracity of their crap information.  

Who is actually putting the entire picture together in a properly distanced and objective manner?  I am willing to be patient for that kind of reporting to play out.  But, quite frankly, I think the a lot of the finest journalists go into news and not sports, and very very few sports departments have the talent to do that kind of reporting.

An important distinction though, Boswell is a columnist not a reporter. He is allowed to be more colorful and opinionated with his writing. I don't think this has any impact on the excellent reporting Mike Jones does as lead beat reporter.

And I agree with Elessar that many people probably didn't actually read the article and just replied based on earlier replies/the headline. The article did not suggest quitting on the Redskins, or becoming a fan of another NFL team like many are insinuating.

cant give up on the Skins despite what the FO does...or does not do. however, in recent years i have started paying more attention to hockey full time, basketball part time and ive always been a baseball fan so i am really glad the Nats are about to start their season. there are a lot of local sports to actually watch when the drama of the Skins off season gets too ridiculous.

19 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

98% of Reid's tweets right now are passive-aggressive shots at the Redskins and their fans. Every hatched job negative article he can drum up he links to, calls "fantastic", and says every Skins fan should read it. 

Reid is a Class-A POS, who is bitter his awful show got cancelled. Sally Stinkins (yes, I am that mature) writes the same article every time the Redskins do something unpopular or controversial. The Post coverage of the Redskins is as bad as Snyder's management of the team.

That being said, the Nationals matter more to me now--mostly because they're a better run organization, I can take my wife and 3-year old daughter to games, and enjoy myself. Boz hit a major point: Everything about the Nats and Caps surpasses the Skins in every way, on the field/ice product, game-day experience, general front office competence. It doesn't mean I am not a fan any more, it means I care more about the Nats. 

17 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Reid is a Class-A POS, who is bitter his awful show got cancelled. Sally Stinkins (yes, I am that mature) writes the same article every time the Redskins do something unpopular or controversial. The Post coverage of the Redskins is as bad as Snyder's management of the team.

That being said, the Nationals matter more to me now--mostly because they're a better run organization, I can take my wife and 3-year old daughter to games, and enjoy myself. Boz hit a major point: Everything about the Nats and Caps surpasses the Skins in every way, on the field/ice product, game-day experience, general front office competence. It doesn't mean I am not a fan any more, it means I care more about the Nats. 

Is Boswell the one who wrote this article?...Wasn't he the one who wrote the article 2 years ago that Skins fans should start giving their attention to the other local teams because the Redskins won't be any good in 2015, 2016 and the foreseeable future?

2 hours ago, kirken said:

I live in Ohio and somehow I manage to attend 2 games every year. Honestly I will always continue rooting for them (even if they go 0-16) as long as they remain the REDSKINS!!

If  they changed their name and go on to a 16-0 season I wouldn't watch a game anywhere (including t.v)

Note my signature.  My only true devotion.  And to think we're one owner away from having another name...

Just now, Califan007 said:

Is Boswell the one who wrote this article?...Wasn't he the one who wrote the article 2 years ago that Skins fans should start giving their attention to the other local teams because the Redskins won't be any good in 2015, 2016 and the foreseeable future?

Probably, it sounds like a Boswellian thing to do. But, still, even if the Redskins remain competitive, they're still surpassed by the Caps and Nationals--and those teams should get more than the table-scraps they get from local media.

I wouldn't trust WAPO to tell me what toilet paper to use.  Didn't even read the article.  Even if the Redskin's screw up the Cousins situation (not getting a deal done and not getting anything in return) I would probably just go on a hiatus.  Maybe spend a little more time watching college football. 

It WAS Boswell lol...he apparently just wants the Redskins to matter less. 2 years ago he used their lack of success to make the case. That blew up in his face:

"Instead, the radio protozoa were discussing crummy former Washington NFL quarterback Mark Brunell, who had just decided to change his opinion of current crummy quarterback Robert Griffin III — from thumbs sideways to thumbs down. They talked. They took calls. They talked more.

Who knows the exact moment when we finally go insane? 

So as July 4 arrives, can we clam up about this clown-car team and focus on local or national athletes who actually know how to play their sports? Just please let me off the Ashburn Train to Nowhere for a few weeks in summer. September will come soon enough.

At the end of last season, I tried to point out, tactfully, that this city’s beloved 11 is historically putrid, multi-generationally pathetic and so bad (the worst Washington team in back-to-back seasons since 1960 and ’61) that any honest evaluation must begin from one premise: They stinkz

No one listened. The delusion-fest continues. Now it is a new general manager who is promoted as the latest savior. We also hear the NFL is the sport of parity; teams that go 3-13, then 4-12, can go to the playoffs in a year or two."

Sounds like he's regurgitating his earlier stance from 2015.

screw you WaPo

3 hours ago, slaga said:

Someone that changes loyalty based on success (or a lack there of), is just a bandwagon fan. Obviously the Post thinks all Redskins' fans are bandwagon fans...

Edit below:

I am at my limit of free articles so I only have the title and the snippet above to base my opinion on but, I definitely understand why the Redskins do not have a relationship, good or otherwise, with the Post

cliick the link, then stop you browser download real fast. 

8 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

WAS Boswell lol...he apparently just wants the Redskins to matter less. 2 years ago he used their lack of success to make the case. That blew up in his face:

Boswell is a HUGE Nationals fan.

I can remember him putting out stuff in the past in frustration about why everyone had the Redskins on their minds in June and July when the Nats were playing well.

He obviously doesn't bleed burgundy and gold.

Nor is he "Extreme". :) :815:

6 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

It WAS Boswell lol...he apparently just wants the Redskins to matter less. 2 years ago he used their lack of success to make the case. That blew up in his face:

Sounds like he's regurgitating his earlier stance from 2015.

I have to respectfully disagree--the Redskins should matter less. Even with the last two years, and ignoring the McCloughan Fiasco (not so much that they fired him, but how they did it) they pale in comparison to how the other teams are run, on the whole, in the area.

2 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

Snyder sued an old lady who couldn't afford her season tickets in 2009.

Snyder messed with parking to the detriment of the fans.

Snyder hires an offensive coordinator before a head coach and later promotes him to HC when no one will take the job. 

And there's a long list. Doing stuff to yourself may be one thing. Disrespecting your own fan base, your source of revenue, bleeding them dry is a whole 'nother thing.

Snyder ain't the Redskins.  Course my fandom is pretty different from most fans, I end up almost never putting money out on stuff, so I'm not financially supporting them

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I have to respectfully disagree--the Redskins should matter less. Even with the last two years, and ignoring the McCloughan Fiasco (not so much that they fired him, but how they did it) they pale in comparison to how the other teams are run, on the whole, in the area.

So we should be bandwagon fans?...

And disagree with what?...That Boswell wrote this same article 2 yrs ago but used lack of success as the reason to stop caring about the Skins as much? Because that was the point of my post, and he did use lack of success (and no success coming the Skins way) as the reason...

Just now, Califan007 said:

So we should be bandwagon fans?...

And disagree with what?...That Boswell wrote this same article 2 yrs ago but used lack of success as the reason to stop caring about the Skins as much? Because that was the point of my post, and he did use lack of success (and no success coming the Skins way) as the reason...

I was disagreeing with your assessment that Boz is off-base because he used the same article. The Redskins get 98% of the coverage despite being the least successful team, and worst run team, over the last 20+ years. 

28 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

I wouldn't trust WAPO to tell me what toilet paper to use.  Didn't even read the article.  Even if the Redskin's screw up the Cousins situation (not getting a deal done and not getting anything in return) I would probably just go on a hiatus.  Maybe spend a little more time watching college football. 

The article doesn't suggest going on hiatus let alone actually quitting, just opening up space for the rest of D.C.'s teams in your fandom while you continue to root for the Redskins. Just so the facts are out here for those who don't want to skirt the paywall.

Born and raised and went on my way away from the DC area in 1994. Back then there was no Nationals and the Bullets existed. The PC police took my basketball team away from me, and I grew up where we hated Baltimore so was never an O's fan. Always support the Capitals when they are in my area but all I got besides them are the Redskins. Just speaking for myself

1 minute ago, Sticksboi05 said:

The article doesn't suggest going on hiatus let alone actually quitting, just opening up space for the rest of D.C.'s teams in your fandom while you continue to root for the Redskins. Just so the facts are out here for those who don't want to skirt the paywall.

I hate baseball. :P 

It is the second most boring sport to watch (behind soccer).

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I was disagreeing with your assessment that Boz is off-base because he used the same article. The Redskins get 98% of the coverage despite being the least successful team, and worst run team, over the last 20+ years. 

My assessment was that Boswell is predisposed to wanting the Skins to become less relevant to local sports fans, using whatever issue that may come up to promote that viewpoint. Instead of saying "You know, he's right" we should be saying "We know, we know...People should care less about the Redskins and more about other blah blah blah...we get the concept."

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

My assessment was that Boswell is predisposed to wanting the Skins to become less relevant to local sports fans, using whatever issue that may come up to promote that viewpoint. Instead of saying "You know, he's right" we should be saying "We know, we know...People should care less about the Redskins and more about other blah blah blah...we get the concept."

Then I misunderstood you're point....

...the most important thing is that I'm right :)

4 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I hate baseball. :P 

It is the second most boring sport to watch (behind soccer).

NBA. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I don't know any Nats fans who aren't also Redskins fans.  And really, the only Wizards fans I know of who aren't Redskins fans are from Maryland and they naturally pull for the Ravens and Orioles.

I am a Skins/Wizards/Nats fan who doesn't really have trouble following all three teams closely at the same time.  There's not much of a time conflict between the three sports and I can watch almost every single game for each team.

Is the core complaint of the article that the local sports media spends too much time covering the Redskins?  If so, I'm not the audience for that argument, and I have no opinion on that because I live outside the DC radio market so I don't listen to its programming.  local radio here in Hampton Roads really only discusses the Redskins when they come up in national story lines like they did with this McCloughan thing.  The Wizards and Nationals never get mentioned, but that's because the teams haven't penetrated this market.

Archived