Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moose & Squirrel v Boris & Natasha: what's the deal with the rooskies and trumpland?

Jumbo

(I believe) the President certainly has the authority to decide which laws not to enforce.  

(See:  Obama and the Dreamers.)  

Now, I do believe that the courts have ruled, for example, that Reagan couldn't simply "line item veto" some spending items by refusing to spend money Congress had appropriated.  But I don't think that's the case, here.  

28 minutes ago, Larry said:

(I believe) the President certainly has the authority to decide which laws not to enforce.  

Now, I do believe that the courts have ruled, for example, that Reagan couldn't simply "line item veto" some spending items by refusing to spend money Congress had appropriated.  But I don't think that's the case, here.  

Assuming everything you just said is true, that's half the equation. 

The other half is why? 

56 minutes ago, Burgold said:

So, I'm not sure I get this. Congress passed the sanctions. The President signed them. How can they simply ignore them? Is every rule of law or decision passed by Congress equally meaningless?

Because he’s Trump and Congress is a bunch of spineless whelps who are complicit in one of the greatest crimes in American history.

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

If I get this right, the big accusation of the Nunes memo is that the FBI asked for permission to watch & listen in on a person who was known to have been interacting with Russian operatives for years. That's their bombshell?

Yes but it doesn't take much for that to warp into "The FBI is against the Trump administration and I have proof now!!" And thier base can't even read correctly. They will believe it. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Larry said:

What makes it stranger, Larry. Is that these are acts that Trump himself signed. Congress passed it, he signed it, and then he chooses to ignore an act he himself put into law? There's something fundamentally wrong with that.

Obama's decision to ask his attorney general to not prosecute marijuana or follow the old guidelines was dubious as well, but at least there was some standing as he was backing the wishes of how states voted on this issue. Still, he should have gone through Congress.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

So, I'm not sure I get this. Congress passed the sanctions. The President signed them. How can they simply ignore them? Is every rule of law or decision passed by Congress equally meaningless?

Just the ones the presidents wish to ignore

14 minutes ago, Burgold said:

If I get this right, the big accusation of the Nunes memo is that the FBI asked for permission to watch & listen in on a person who was known to have been interacting with Russian operatives for years. That's their bombshell?

Oh, that seems to be at least one of the talking points.  

"The NSA said that they had recordings of a politician holding back door communications with Russia.  And somebody high up in the White house asked who."  

I think that another one is along the lines of "The NSA asked for a FISA warrant on somebody, and they only listed the reasons why they wanted the warrant, and not any reasons why they didn't.  (Just like law enforcement does for every warrant application."  

I mean, the plan has always been to get the memo out in order to attack Rosenstein in order to remove him in order to clip Mueller's wings or remove him.  It doesn't matter how utterly stupid the memo is, they just need SOMETHING in order to cover themselves when they start their final attack on the rule of law.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

I mean, the plan has always been to get the memo out in order to attack Rosenstein in order to remove him in order to clip Mueller's wings or remove him.  It doesn't matter how utterly stupid the memo is, they just need SOMETHING in order to cover themselves when they start their final attack on the rule of law.

I guarrantee you this memo release was timed for the SOTU, bet that Trump talks about it tonight as a full frontal assualt on the investigation and the FBI.

and then there be those who defend Trump for it.

10 hours ago, Llevron said:

The way they literally did everything they could to force Obama into failure was not good for the country.

I realize our country has a history that includes lots of terrible things, but for me the way the gop behaved 2008-2016 is among, if not the, most shameful things I've seen.

A major political party was not just rooting for failure for our country, but working towards failure, all in an effort to be able to brand the other guys as "bad for America"

I know that is understood here, but I don't think it's understood and discussed well enough for the rest of the country.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

I realize our country has a history that includes lots of terrible things, but for me the way the gop behaved 2008-2016 is among, if not the, most shameful things I've seen.

A major political party was not just rooting for failure for our country, but working towards failure, all in an effort to be able to brand the other guys as "bad for America"

I know that is understood here, but I don't think it's understood and discussed well enough for the rest of the country.

"You mad bro?"

source-mitch-mcconnell-plans-to-vote-aga

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

its disgusting and we are probably in a crisis moment but the media will be focused on some BS memos.

This country is done.

They will because it drives clicks. I half wonder if this memo was a distraction. I mean they voted on it at the exact time he was supposed to make a decision on these sanctions. I don't put it past Nunes to be smart and cunning enough to use this to Trumps advantage even if Trump didnt know it was happening. Remember this is the dude that said he was going to recuse himself but never actually did. Just said it to get the heat off and came back once it was a good time for him to **** **** up. I cant believe he got away with it, too. 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

I agree, its not understood and honestly if it wasn't for you folks here I wouldn't have noticed it myself to be honest. 

12 minutes ago, Llevron said:

They will because it drives clicks. I half wonder if this memo was a distraction. I mean they voted on it at the exact time he was supposed to make a decision on these sanctions. I don't put it past Nunes to be smart and cunning enough to use this to Trumps advantage even if Trump didnt know it was happening. Remember this is the dude that said he was going to recuse himself but never actually did. Just said it to get the heat off and came back once it was a good time for him to **** **** up. I cant believe he got away with it, too. 

Thats what im saying.

People worried about minor stuff. The President just said "I am an agent of Russia and I will not enforce this law" and people are distracted and kee keeing over the distractions.

It disgusting, but that's what htis country is now.

56 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

twa questioning whether Trump will still be around in 2020 seems like a significant development.

He is old, besides he might retire after MAGA to rest on his laurels.

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

Hypothetical: Trump vs Obama

3rd party?