Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is your strongest political conviction?

Springfield

34 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Necessities, both traditional and modern, should be provided for cheaply or free of charge.

The technology and resources exist such that no human need go without water, food, shelter, clothing, electricity, indoor plumbing, healthcare, and means of societal interaction (internet, from which extends phones through VoIP as well).

I agree 100%. I'd also add education to that list.

Oh and I'm also super concerned about Ivanka being treated so unfairly by those bullies over at Nordstrom. :silly:

Act like a ****ing adult.

Education, and an eye to the future. Advance. Develop technology.

Keep your religion to yourself. Plenty of churches, plenty of religious organizations to be among your fellows, there is no need to have to push it into my life via public institutions. You are free to make your choices, and so am I, You are free  to raise your kids spiritually as you see fit, and so am I. All of your evangelistic notions of having to save me from myself need to stay in your pocket. 

Be willing to work with opponents. Partisanship will take away my desire to vote for you.  be about the good of the people, and not the good of your party.

Stay out of my life as much as possible, and keep the playing field FAIR for ALL so we ourselves are responsible for our opportunities.

Don't overtax me, and use the taxes you do collect wisely.  Like on our crumbling infrastructure.. I don't mind taxes if we get bang for our buck. 

~Bang

Funny, a year ago I could have answered this easily and quickly, now it seems like every single thing needs mentioning. Who thought that freedom of speech would be a concern? Don't we just take that one for granted? Public education? It's like I fell through a wormhole back to a day where the flat earthers held the stage.

My strongest convictions these days somehow feel like they ought to transcend politics, we need social convictions we can believe in. Basic human rights, life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness kinda things, the mere fact that we are all supposed to be Americans together seems to have been forgotten or discarded.

Education

Look at the current state of affairs and can pinpoint it to one thing...education. Not understanding points of view, trusting biased sources, spreading falsehoods, lack of why things occur the way they do, etc.; is a something that really bothers me. People voting against their own best interests is clear evidence of that whether it encompasses income inequality, health care, basic human rights, constitutional freedoms, putting party first, separation of church and state, etc.; it is disheartening to see and experience. I see many people every day not valuing the importance of a good education, take it for granted, and don't give their best effort. Much of this is apathy is reinforced at home by talking points spewed on social media and in the media itself, right and left. It's almost as if being a well educated person is frowned upon in some social circles.

im going to stay very simple, narrow, and specific.

taxes.

not tax cuts, not tax increase, just tax rationalization.   eliminate EVERY tax deduction, credit, break..except for the number of people that are being supported by the income (dependents), and re-investment (carefully defined and controlled).    Replace every tax credit/tax break with a direct payment (that has to be directly appropriated by congress), and you will force people to know what they are paying and getting.  

Rationalize the capital gains tax rules.   

Also, large (eventually) progressive inheritance tax.  (say nothing on the first 500k, then not much on 500k to to $1.5m, a little more on each step up from there.   again, no exceptions.   if you want to save family farms (or something similar) have a direct subsidy check that as SPECIFIC to what it is that you claim to want to save.    

NONE of these ****ty widespread tax breaks.   Even the popular ones:  mortgage, education etc... ESPECIALLY the popular ones.  these are always enacted *in theory*  to help people that otherwise would barely be able to afford houses or education or whatever...but then in practice, 90%+ just ends up being a tax break for the wealthy.   if you want to help first time/marginal home buyers,,, give them a direct subsidy (that they have to qualify for) 

once you have rid the system of all of the complicated and skewed breaks and loopholes... the overall base rates would be MUCH lower, and MUCH MUCH more simple.   You could slash (or even close to eliminate) corporate taxes.    you could afford to have many more targeted subsidies for things that you actually care about with LOWER tax rates.  

I don't get inheritance taxation. That's double taxation IMO, plus anyone with an accountant and financial planner WILL get around the inheritance taxes. I'm already setting my kids up so they won't have to pay taxes on what I leave.

As far as tax cuts, if Bush had directly tied the tax cuts to actual US job creation then I would have supported it.

6 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Limited Federal Government.

I like brief contracts too but every line is there because someone before screwed someone over. I also don't trust states to do the right thing, local watchdog groups aren't as effective at calling out local corruption. That and I'm against patchwork laws.

3 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I don't get inheritance taxation. That's double taxation IMO, plus anyone with an accountant and financial planner WILL get around the inheritance taxes. I'm already setting my kids up so they won't have to pay taxes on what I leave.

I like brief contracts too but every line is there because someone before screwed someone over. I also don't trust states to do the right thing, local watchdog groups aren't as effective at calling out local corruption.

I tend to agree, but I also think alot of that is the result of the Fed Govt being such an easy target. 

2 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I like brief contracts too but every line is there because someone before screwed someone over. I also don't trust states to do the right thing, local watchdog groups aren't as effective at calling out local corruption.

You go on with you millionaire self!!  The limits right now are individuals under 5.43 million pay no estate tax, couples it is 10.9 million.  I would even be fine with no tax under 20 million.  But the point of the tax is to not allow dynastic wealth.  That on some level you have to earn your keep. 

11 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

You go on with you millionaire self!!  The limits right now are individuals under 5.43 million pay no estate tax, couples it is 10.9 million.  I would even be fine with no tax under 20 million.  But the point of the tax is to not allow dynastic wealth.  That on some level you have to earn your keep. 

Not a millionaire today, but you build a proper foundation, also 5 million in liquid assets is a LOT different than 5 million in assets. Both are considered millionaires.

May I ask what is wrong with dynastic wealth? The whole reason we build wealth is so that the generations that follow can be well established. But again, no true dynastic family exposes themselves to inheritance taxation.

Just now, AsburySkinsFan said:

Not a millionaire today, but you build a proper foundation, also 5 million in liquid assets is a LOT different than 5 million in assets. Both are considered millionaires.

You go!! Humble preacher to real estate baller!! Five million in net worth is pretty well off any way you cut it. 

Just now, Kilmer17 said:

Arent we all working to provide a better future for our children?

I guess that all depends on what that future looks like to each of us. I'd say that for years I was doing so, but with VERY different goals. My goals now have changed and as such so has the plan and methodology.

13 hours ago, zoony said:

And even things like common core, and taking away education of our nations young people from local yokel backwoods morons  A child born in Martinsburg WV should be provided the same curriculum as a child born in Manhattan or a child born in Omaha.

But most importantly, economic equality is the biggest hurdle we have to overcome as a society.  Where would Donald Trump be if he were born in a trailer park?  Your economic destiny in this country is determined by which vagina you come out of more than any other factor.  

I take issue with the phrase "which vagina you come out of more than any other factor" bc it totally dismisses the family tree aspect. My opportunity for success was not calculated the instant I popped out of a vagina. That vagina was not random. My "opportunity for success" was the product of generations of hard work. My "opportunity for success" is based off all the blood, sweat, tears and sacrifice of my family who came before me. 

To provide your children with the best opportunity to succeed is a parents number 1 goal. My parents and my grandparents worked their asses off to provide me and my brothers the best life they could give to us. It is my job to make my branch of the family tree stronger for my kids and their kids.

I am all for economic equality as long as it doesnt mean that nothing is arbitrarily taken away from what my family line has worked centuries towards (i.e. me and my ability to pass it on to my kids).   

Should a child born to drug using, early disability parents in W Va get the same quality education a child born to hard working, moderately wealthy responsible parents in NYC?   In a fairy tale utopian world, maybe yes. A child going to public school in Martinsburg will absolutely not get the same education as a kid going to private school or who lives in a good school district. A child going to public school in west Baltimore will not get the same education as a child going to public school in Howard County. 

Its unfair for the baby born in poor circumstances bc its not the baby's fault. 

There is a thread on helping us understand each other where multiple values can and should be incorporated. Doing that here would make this thread a bit redundant IMO  so I recommend you all stick with the thread originators intent and put only one value.  It may require some thought so I took a while to think about it and settled on the traditional number one core American value

Liberty - People must be free to pursue their life's goals without interference from the State.

Archived