Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Baltimore Orioles Thread - We suck again!

MattFancy

We're playing the Tigers at home.

Yankees are in Cleveland 

Seattle is in KC

TB play one more in Houston then come home against the Brewers.

On paper, this could be a very good weekend for the O's.

I was of the "sell our guys" group the past couple of weeks but its nice that we are back in the mix.  Its very possible that DD by being a buyer, has invigorated the team and they are playing a little better.  With a little extra boost and the fact that our August schedule is a little easier playing west coast teams, maybe we can make a push for the playoffs.

I'm just hoping this isn't a fools gold situation like Bojan was for the Wizards.  Man, he played awesome those first few weeks, only to really crap out in the end/playoffs.

2 hours ago, The Gibber said:

I was of the "sell our guys" group the past couple of weeks but its nice that we are back in the mix.  Its very possible that DD by being a buyer, has invigorated the team and they are playing a little better.  With a little extra boost and the fact that our August schedule is a little easier playing west coast teams, maybe we can make a push for the playoffs.

I'm just hoping this isn't a fools gold situation like Bojan was for the Wizards.  Man, he played awesome those first few weeks, only to really crap out in the end/playoffs.

If I were betting, I would bet on fool's gold.  But hell, I'll be along for the ride.

Even if it isn't, they're not a serious threat and the better big picture play was still to sell.  

I think DD was really thinking about the backs of baseball cards when he traded to stay in it. 

He thought Bundy and Gasuman would start pitching better. Britton returning would be a boost to the pen. Davis off the DL. Machado turning it around, etc. Finding a serviceable starter means one of the disaster boys doesn't have to. 

Tillman's disastrous season is the most painful thing about this team. It's not Machado/Davis/JJ's down year. It's Tillman going from a 4 WAR horse to a -1.5 liability. Gausman's struggles hurt too, but this is the shift that will likely keep the team out of the playoffs.

I don't think he's going to pitch better, either. I think his shoulder is toast.  At least we didn't give him the Porcello type of deal last offseason, I guess. 

Given the leash Ubaldo and others have been given, how long do the O's go with Tillman if he gets shelled tonight? It's going to be interesting to see how the O's handle the roster cause they can't carry 6 starters all month. 

1 hour ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Tillman's disastrous season is the most painful thing about this team. It's not Machado/Davis/JJ's down year. It's Tillman going from a 4 WAR horse to a -1.5 liability. Gausman's struggles hurt too, but this is the shift that will likely keep the team out of the playoffs.

I don't think he's going to pitch better, either. I think his shoulder is toast.  

Unfortunately I agree with every word of this. 

If the O's are gonna go for this, they should claim Verlander off of waivers. You'd get him for two more years at a bit more than what Miley and Ubaldo make combined. I wouldn't offer the Tigers much in the way or prospects given the salary. Still would be plenty of money to sign a 4th starter in the off-season at a minimum. Just a thought. 

This is one trade/pick up that DD really got right. Castro will almost certainly get a chance to start in spring training next season. Has really good stuff, not afraid to throw it in any count and seems very efficient. I know it will be different going through a lineup two and three times, but it should be worth a try. 

That was a hell of an at bat by Jones.

I've been wondering lately about pitches per plate appearance.  I know there are splits for different hitting counts, such as what a batter's slash line is for when the count is 1-2 vs. 2-1 or 3-2.  

But even if a count is, say, even at 2 balls and 2 strikes....and the batter proceeds to foul off 3 or 4 straight pitches, what does that do the averages?  The count is still at 2-2 but the batter has seen 4 more pitches in the at bat.  

I suspect that the longer the at bat goes, the more of an advantage the batter has.  IMO, part of an at bat is gathering information and understanding what a pitcher is doing....how his stuff works.  And the more pitches a batter can see, the more information that he's gathering.  He understands how that pitcher's stuff works, how it moves, how it breaks.

So when you get a prolonged at bat like Jones just had where he's seen more pitches the chances of him working a walk has to increase...right?  I mean he barely walks as it is, but he was able to gain so much information simply by seeing more pitches in that at bat he felt comfortable taking that 3-2 pitch because he knew it'd be out of the zone.

8 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

Ladies and gentlemen your new long middle reliever / set up man....Chris Tillman! 

Its almost like you have to put him in th DL for 10 days so he can get two rehab starts in Bowie and try and figure it out. He's dropped his release point so much and he has no idea where it's going. He has to learn to pitch again. 

26 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Its almost like you have to put him in th DL for 10 days so he can get two rehab starts in Bowie and try and figure it out. He's dropped his release point so much and he has no idea where it's going. He has to learn to pitch again. 

It seems that there is only one reason he dropped his release point: he isn't physically capable of having a higher release point due to injury. If he needed surgery, he should have gotten it done. Now he will get a minor league contract with an invite to spring training instead of cashing on this off-season 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

It seems that there is only one reason he dropped his release point: he isn't physically capable of having a higher release point due to injury. If he needed surgery, he should have gotten it done. Now he will get a minor league contract with an invite to spring training instead of cashing on this off-season 

He picked a bad time to get injured. Went from trending toward some kind of 4/70 deal (maybe 4/60 with a vesting as a hometown discount) to minimum wage. He may be able to figure it out, but I can't see them giving him more shots right now. Non-competitive starts absolutely MURDERED this team between late May and July. 

Joseph just got his hands up in front of his face to prevent getting hit in the face and they call it a strikeout because the bat helicoptered around. That's ****ing horrible. ****ing horrible. 

(Home umpire signaled to first and I guess the 1b overruled him? Or maybe the HP was signaling to first for a check swing call? I don't know. Awful still.)

I have never seen a call like that.

How the hell did he call it a strikeout anyway? Did he say that not only did the ball not hit him buty he tried to bunt?

Even if he wanted to ignore the ball hitting his hands, it hit the bat next. Foul ball at worst

WTF Was thAt? Buck should've had a fit and gotten himself tossed.

~Bang

Archived