Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Baltimore Orioles Thread - We suck again!

MattFancy

Good win.  

Still pissed about today.  

Beckham doesn't move the needle, really.   I mean, not every player on the field 1-9 is going to be an all star unless you're Boston or the Yankees but you can find a Tim Beckham somewhere else.  

The kid we traded for him was like 19 who threw in the 90s.  I'd rather have taken my chances with someone like that.  This is a franchise that is pissing away young talent left and right and can't develop young pitching at all.  And while Beckham is still young with some upside, I'd go with the pitching.

I think other GMs were heisitant to spend big prospects for ZB because of the injury. I'd rather keep him than make a bad deal for the sake of making a deal. Seemed like an abundance of decent relievers whom were much cheaper. 

I think the O's make another deal or two through the waiver deadline. Possibly that most of Beef, Alvarez, Smith, O'Day, Jimenez, and Miley clear waivers. 

I think Beckham was probably due for a 3 million dollar raise next year and the Rays knew they were likely to non-tender him. You know, that's how the O's got Hardy. The Brewers didn't want to pay him a couple million and dealt him to us for next to nothing. So we'll see. 

2 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I think other GMs were heisitant to spend big prospects for ZB because of the injury. I'd rather keep him than make a bad deal for the sake of making a deal. Seemed like an abundance of decent relievers whom were much cheaper. 

I completely agree.  We have a chance to play some meaningful baseball into September (not at all saying we're a playoff team, but I could see this club making things interesting if they go on a run), and we've still got the core of this team coming back next year with some bad contracts coming off the books.  I was all for selling everyone not named Schoop, Mancini, and Bundy in exchange for a restocked farm, but you can't make a deal if there's nothing worthwhile on the table.  To me, selling low on Britton (or Givens or Brach) would be a lot worse than keeping him for this season and next.

2 minutes ago, MattFancy said:

Angelos is worse than Snyder

Houston has a lot of quality in their farm system according to all the rankings. Would have been great to end up with a couple of pitchers plus a guy like Colin Moran. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Based on reports out of Houston, Angelos killed a Britton trade that had been agreed upon by DD and the Astros' GM. 

That would suck if true, but I'm always skeptical of "reports" like these.  In this case, Astros fans and even some of their players have criticized management for not doing more at the deadline.  It would be entirely in their best interest to leak a story like this to appease their fanbase.  Not that I'd put anything past Angelos, but just sayin'.... 

3 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

That would suck if true, but I'm always skeptical of "reports" like these.  In this case, Astros fans and even some of their players have criticized management for not doing more at the deadline.  It would be entirely in their best interest to leak a story like this to appease their fanbase.  Not that I'd put anything past Angelos, but just sayin'.... 

I think their owner was the source this morning,  

1 hour ago, MattFancy said:

Angelos is worse than Snyder

I can't go that far. At the very least, Angelos, at least came close to the World Series. Snyder haven't sniffed an NFC Conference Championship.

The good news is now I can just go back to rooting for the O's. For a couple months now I've been hoping for losses so that we'd sell. That didn't happen (well, the losses did). So now I can at least just hope my favorite team wins. If (when) they don't win much more in 2017, I can hope that they sell during MLB hot stove. The positive is that you might have a couple more teams believing they are contending in 2018 and potentially interested in our players. The negative is that we'll likely be one of those teams. 

45 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

The good news is now I can just go back to rooting for the O's. For a couple months now I've been hoping for losses so that we'd sell. That didn't happen (well, the losses did). So now I can at least just hope my favorite team wins. If (when) they don't win much more in 2017, I can hope that they sell during MLB hot stove. The positive is that you might have a couple more teams believing they are contending in 2018 and potentially interested in our players. The negative is that we'll likely be one of those teams. 

Agree with this.

Also kind of looking at the rest of this year (and perhaps most of 2018) with a bittersweet perspective.  It's essentially the end of an era, got out of the 1998-2011 dark days with some really exciting seasons.  Really exciting players.  A fantastic manager.  Lots of good memories.  

Unfortunately, it's dying with a death rattle.  DD could have put it out of it's misery this week and he didn't do it.  So the death rattle goes on, the Orioles limp to another 81-85 wins (maybe) this year and roll into 2018 thinking they're contenders when the rest of the world is telling them otherwise.

And someone just shut Jim Hunter up.  Chortling at the national writers grades about the O's deadline deals, which everyone hated.  There's no bigger kool aid drinker than Jim Hunter, it's ****ing ridiculous.  I mean, if there was ever nuclear fallout you could count on Jim Hunter trying to figure out a positive spin.

19 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Nice hustle double for Beckham.  

Seriously? I had just read that Buck had chewed him out for not hustling. If so, why hasn't he chewed Manny out?

But anyway, this team is a lot easier on the eyes when they get good pitching.

4 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Seriously? I had just read that Buck had chewed him out for not hustling. If so, why hasn't he chewed Manny out?

But anyway, this team is a lot easier on the eyes when they get good pitching.

Guy hasn't been in Baltimore for more than 24 hours, how had Buck already chewed him out for not hustling?  

Great to see Bundy bounce back from some rough outings. 

What do the O's do tomorrow? Hellickson has to come onto the roster. O's actually have some really interesting decisions to make this month. Santander has to be on the roster soon and the O's will keep him for one, but also Hardy, Flaherty, Trumbo and, as mentioned, Hellickson. 

@Spaceman Spiff

Prospect report:

Santander is crushing AA pitching. 6 games in he is batting a cool. .692 with 2 home runs, 4 doubles and 7 RBI. 3 walks to go along with only 2 Ks. 

Austin Hays: Batting a cool .338 in 34 AA games. Over .333 between Frederick and Bowie so far. 

Cedric Mullins: Batting a cool .330 in 50 AA games. Sucks he's been on the DL twice this year. 

Chance Sisco: Batting .280 with a cool .349 OBP. 

Archived