Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Baltimore Orioles Thread - We suck again!

MattFancy

I'll be shocked if the O's sell tomorrow. I think they really believe they are in it and will

keep all these vets around. Next guy that gets called up will be Pedro. Heck, I wouldn't be shocked if the O's were buyers tomorrow. I have zero faith in the organization to do what's right now and think long term. 

Hope I'm wrong.

57 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I'll be shocked if the O's sell tomorrow. I think they really believe they are in it and will

keep all these vets around. Next guy that gets called up will be Pedro. Heck, I wouldn't be shocked if the O's were buyers tomorrow. I have zero faith in the organization to do what's right now and think long term. 

Hope I'm wrong.

Watching the Giants/Dodgers tonight, Buster said there's a 50/50 chance that they'll deal Britton.  Which, IMO, means he has no idea, either.

He also said that fangraphs said that the Orioles have a 3% chance of making the playoffs.

My gut tells me that they don't sell tomorrow which would be disappointing.  Prying some Dodgers prospects away from them would be really awesome.  And I like the Dodgers a little bit so I'd like to see Britton in a place where he can make a difference in the postseason.  

16 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Watching the Giants/Dodgers tonight, Buster said there's a 50/50 chance that they'll deal Britton.  Which, IMO, means he has no idea, either.

He also said that fangraphs said that the Orioles have a 3% chance of making the playoffs.

My gut tells me that they don't sell tomorrow which would be disappointing.  Prying some Dodgers prospects away from them would be really awesome.  And I like the Dodgers a little bit so I'd like to see Britton in a place where he can make a difference in the postseason.  

It was big that Britton pitched tonight on back to back nights and I'm sure there were tons of scouts there. I'll be okay if they don't trade guys like Britton or Brach if they really aren't getting a strong return. Britton can always be moved in the off-season and it wouldn't surprise me to see them keep Brach. However, if they are getting big offers, they would be foolish not to take it.

I would take pretty much anything for O'Day but I think he has pitched himself out of having any value to another team. 

I'll be most disappointed if they don't at some point unload Castillo, Smith and anyone else with an ounce of value that is a pending FA. 

If it's true that the Nats, Dodgers and Astros at a minimum are involed, the O's should get what they are looking for to trade Britton.

I just don't see it happening today.  That Hellickson deal really made no sense.  I mean, Kim was going to be an FA and if Hellickson had years remaining on his contract I'd say we're reloading but he doesn't.  He's an FA, too.

If we add anyone for the sake of going after it this year, I'll be pissed.  Everyone seems to understand that we have almost no chance of making the playoffs except DD and PA.

Any predictions on the game tonight? Royals are only -106 and I'm thinking about betting on them lol. They are still dangerous and I expect Jimenez to pitch horribly (I'm sure he will pitch 8 shutout innings). Duffy is a solid pitcher, although he is a lefty and our right-handed lineup is hot. Plus he has bad experience at Camden.

13 hours ago, Hersh said:

Hope I'm wrong.

I agree with you. I don't think they make any moves today. They stand pat and we're right back in this situation next season.

2 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Any predictions on the game tonight? Royals are only -106 and I'm thinking about betting on them lol. They are still dangerous and I expect Jimenez to pitch horribly (I'm sure he will pitch 8 shutout innings). Duffy is a solid pitcher, although he is a lefty and our right-handed lineup is hot. Plus he has bad experience at Camden.

Ubaldo used up his one quality start for the month already.  

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Seems like there is some chatter around Britton...I'm getting my hopes up that maybe they do the right thing today!

I'm not holding my breath. It sounds like the Astros, Indians, and Dodgers are all interested in him. Should be easy to get a bidding war going, but DD will find a way to mess this up.

So the O's ended up being buyers and traded away two minor league pitchers. I need to get out and go laugh about this cause this is how franchises don't win a WS or are put in the best position to do so. I don't mean that either minor league pitcher traded was a difference maker, but the inability for the O's to sell when they haven't been in playoff contention has cost this team at least 10 prospects in the system now. 

In case anyone missed it, the O's got Tim Beckham from the Rays today for last years 6th rounder. He will be the O's starting SS for the next couple years. 

What the ****, why did we get Tim Beckham?  Move Schoop to SS, dickheads.  

I hate this franchise.  Love the team, hate this franchise.

How the **** was I so fortunate to be born in an area where I had to grow up rooting for dumbass franchises.  Seriously, the Wizards (trading Chris Webber when I was in high school, what the ****), the Orioles (Angelos) and of course, the Redskins.

Like, it's a trifecta of ****ery.  It just doesn't ever end.  It's ineptness followed by colossal dumbassery.  

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

What the ****, why did we get Tim Beckham?  Move Schoop to SS, dickheads.  

I hate this franchise.  Love the team, hate this franchise.

I wouldn't hate the Beckham move if it accompanied the trade of Britton. O's need a SS next season and dude is serviceable and not expensive. However, this is a BUY move coupled with Hellickson. They literally think they are in playoff contention. Full incompetence by the O's front office. Ended up giving up minor league prospects instead of loading up on prospects. 

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

I wouldn't hate the Beckham move if it accompanied the trade of Britton. O's need a SS next season and dude is serviceable and not expensive. However, this is a BUY move coupled with Hellickson. They literally think they are in playoff contention. Full incompetence by the O's front office. Ended up giving up minor league prospects instead of loading up on prospects. 

I agree with everything in here except that this was a buy move by the Orioles. If it was a buy, we would have seen more moves probably for mediocre players. I think these moves were what we all sadly expected which is basically doing nothing. I think they were going to release Kim and instead got a pitcher to throw with the other bums. They also got a SS to replace Hardy. I don't think these moves really constitute much. My response to both was meh. 

I just wish they would commit one way or the other. Either go big and spend to get pitching or sell and rebuild to try and develop pitchers. I too am dejected since I think these moves don't move the team anywhere. I also worry they hold Britton too long and he either gets hurt or just starts to pitch like O'Day. Closers have such a short life span. I think they needed to strike while the iron was hot and they did not. Maybe the offers weren't any good and all this pans out, but I'm not hopeful.

Just now, abdcskins said:

I don't mind the Beckham move.  He is 27 and has showed some skill.  Not a bad acquisition.

He's still young and has upside and it's not costing a ton. We were going to need a SS next year anyway.

44 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

I agree with everything in here except that this was a buy move by the Orioles. If it was a buy, we would have seen more moves probably for mediocre players. I think these moves were what we all sadly expected which is basically doing nothing. I think they were going to release Kim and instead got a pitcher to throw with the other bums. They also got a SS to replace Hardy. I don't think these moves really constitute much. My response to both was meh. 

I just wish they would commit one way or the other. Either go big and spend to get pitching or sell and rebuild to try and develop pitchers. I too am dejected since I think these moves don't move the team anywhere. I also worry they hold Britton too long and he either gets hurt or just starts to pitch like O'Day. Closers have such a short life span. I think they needed to strike while the iron was hot and they did not. Maybe the offers weren't any good and all this pans out, but I'm not hopeful.

I'm dejected as well. The reason I view the Beckham as a buy move is that wasn't necessary to do now and the O's gave up a 6th round pick that is showing well in low-A. For an organization that lacks pitching, I don't give up anyone that is showing promise and is only 19. 

Hopefully it works out but I'm skeptical that a team in the playoff race and in our division gave him up. Especially when that team does a pretty good job developing pitchers. 

Archived