Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Baltimore Orioles Thread - We suck again!

MattFancy

2 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Should have been sellers.  We are no further along then 3 weeks ago.  But I do like getting Beckham to replace Hardy.

Curious to see what Beckham settles out as.  Obviously he's on a ridiculous hot streak. 

I can see him as a .280, 20 homer guy though.  

Passed out last night, pissed that I missed that game. Well, most of it anyway, I missed the fun parts though.

I think I saw on ESPN this morning that Manny has 5 grand slams over the past two years which is more than a lot of teams have.

If he keeps this tear up through the end of September he'll have a respectable stat line after a dreadful first half.  30 homers is still in reach and he can maybe get to 100 RBI.  

6 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Passed out last night, pissed that I missed that game. Well, most of it anyway, I missed the fun parts though.

I think I saw on ESPN this morning that Manny has 5 grand slams over the past two years which is more than a lot of teams have.

If he keeps this tear up through the end of September he'll have a respectable stat line after a dreadful first half.  30 homers is still in reach and he can maybe get to 100 RBI.  

At this pace, he'll end with a typical Manny year.  Typical, as in similar to the last couple healthy years. He's on pace for 31 HRs, 99RBI.  

If he keeps .339 up since the break, the BA will be where it usually is in the .280-.290 area.  It wont look any different.

Hate saying this, but of all the AL teams that are going for the wildcard, the Yankeees are probably the only team that actually deserve to get in.

Once again, the two teams that we're chasing for the final playoff spot loses and we lose right along with them. 

I knew exactly how last night was going to go by the 3rd inning. I knew all it was going to take is for Seattle to have one decent inning.

Very bad effort for a team fighting for a playoff spot.

I knew when Davis came up last night in the 9th it was over. Figured it be a strikeout too. Typical Davis at bat. Wave at 2 pitches and miss badly, then keep the bat on your shoulder and game over. Terrible. We have to win 2 out of 3 against the Angels at home or I'm ready to say season over. A sweep would have us tied for the last wild card spot. Assuming the other teams ahead of us don't go on a winning streak. Big series.

9 minutes ago, GOSKINS_08 said:

I knew when Davis came up last night in the 9th it was over. Figured it be a strikeout too. Typical Davis at bat. Wave at 2 pitches and miss badly, then keep the bat on your shoulder and game over. Terrible. We have to win 2 out of 3 against the Angels at home or I'm ready to say season over. A sweep would have us tied for the last wild card spot. Assuming the other teams ahead of us don't go on a winning streak. Big series.

We could sweep the Angels and I'd still say the season is over.

I think I've said it before, I'll say it again....but the beauty of a baseball season is that it's a marathon and who you really are as a team makes itself clear by about this part of the season.  For example, we all knew the Cubs weren't as bad as their record early on and no one thought that the Brewers would be that good for an entire season.  It's starting to show in the standings there. Strong chance that the Cubs take the central (or maybe even the surging Cardinals!) and Milwaukee is left out of the picture altogether.

Yeah, the Orioles could get hot and win 7 out of 10, but you can bet on them losing 7 out of the next 10, too.  They're a .500-ish team and they've been that way all.  season.  long.  Minus the hot start to the beginning of the year which I think a lot of us enjoyed but knew was a mirage.

But yeah, to quote Denny Green...THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE! ;) 

I believe we have to have a sweep against the Angels to realistically have a chance at the wildcard. IMO, 2/3 isn't going to cut it and if we lose this series, "we're toast." 

This is series is our last chance.

1 hour ago, DM72 said:

I believe we have to have a sweep against the Angels to realistically have a chance at the wildcard. IMO, 2/3 isn't going to cut it and if we lose this series, "we're toast." 

This is series is our last chance.

Absolutely, and then we need to go on a run after this.  It's easy to say we're only 3 games out of a wildcard, but we're behind 6 teams to get there!  I'd almost rather be 5 or 6 games behind one team, because when you're chasing half-a-dozen you're pretty much cooked if a few of them go on a run and you don't.

Still holding out hope, but .500 ball the rest of the way isn't going to cut it.

Looking forward to tonite.  At this point I'm residing that they'll be lucky to finish at .500 or so.  I'm thinking anywhere from 78 to 83 wins.  

So I'm rooting for personal performances.  I'd like to see Manny keep knocking the **** out of the ball until the very end.  I'd love to see Schoop finish in the top 10 in batting average and somehow wrestle the RBI crown away from Nelson Cruz but I doubt that's possible.  I want to see Mancini finish with the Orioles rookie record for homers and finish at .300+.   Strong finishes from Beckham, Trumbo and Davis would be nice, though I think the only one you can bank on is Beckham.

I'd love to see Gausman and Bundy finish strong, too.  The rest of the rotation is whatever.  

Archived