Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maurice Harris: What Do We Have Here?

NoCalMike

Taking a collective *deep breath* and small break from the large issues facing this team this offseason, I'd like to have a discussion on some of the smaller details.  A WR like Maurice Harris.  He didn't catch a ton of balls, but besides the last game when he lost his footing, he did manage to catch just about everything thrown his way, even some big 3rd down conversion catches which is kind of an oddity for a WR that barely gets playing time.

I was hoping as the season went on he would have received more opportunities due to him seeming to perform well when given the chance.  There's also the fact that he is a WR that has size (and again, good hands) which would have seemed to make him a good candidate for the red zone offense.

Is this a WR who can contribute in a bigger role on this team in the future, or was this simply a case of having no better options down the depth chart and his number was called merely out of the "next man up" code?

Love the kid!  Can't wait till he gets more time in the offseason.  The slip vs the Giants was just a case of him being excited and trying to make an impression.  Not gonna hold that against him.  As a coach here's what I like.  First, he doesn't mind mixing it up as a blocker.  He has good feet and can keep his guy out of the play.  His route running is pretty good for a 1st year player and he at least tries to set up his cuts.  He will get faster as he becomes more comfortable with his routes.  For example, let's say the Redskins run their dig routes (deep in) at 12 yards.  Next year he will automatically know what 12 yards feels like and how long it takes to get to that depth so he can improve on setting up those cuts even better.  The best attribute (besides his height) is that he is a hands catcher.  There's no way he makes that behind the back catch on a bad ball if he didn't get his hands out. 

Let's not get crazy about him.  No disrespect but he's just another guy right now.  8 catches for 66 yards is nothing.  He can and will play special teams.  But who wouldn't as an undrafted free agent.

I'm pretty sure there is no way that Jay and Scot go into the year banking on him being "the guy", but more then "just a guy".

He's not fast, he doesn't separate well right now, but he's tall.  So was Anthony Mix and The Comb.  I'll be rooting for him, but won't be holding my breath.

27 minutes ago, campfodder said:

Let him compete for one of the two spots Grant & Ross occupied in Training Camp.

Um, we cut Ross and he's now on the Lions Practice Squad. Not sure what his plans are for the offseason, but judging by how little he was used I doubt he is in our plans.

I think the plan is for Grant and Harris to compete next year. Hopefully he can turn into another good pick up from UDFA. One thing about him is that we really don't know his skillset other than scouting reports and college ball (which I haven't looked at). He played so little, but he caught 75% of the passes thrown his way. Ross caught 64% and Grant has a catch rate of 47% (this year).

I think we're going to end up with:
Garcon, Crowder, Doctson, Grant, Harris, and some rookie.

Of course this is all dependent on Doctson's health. If he's not ready to go, we'll probably shop for some vet WR (along the lines of a Kendall Wright type)

I like Harris as a 4th or 5th receiver. Maybe he can become our new James Thrash.

That slip was killer...did our guys have on the wrong cleats? On our home field? It seemed we were slipping much more than the Giants ...SMH...

I am not sure about Harris, he is big and seems to have good hands...need to see more of him...

I am done w Ryan Grant...

As a number 4 or 5, he is good.  Good hands, hard worker.  He made a few big catches for us this year and plays special teams

I dont think he has the talent to be a 3, let alone a 2 or 1.

We could upgrade there, but again, I think at the 4 or 5, he's pretty good.

23 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

He's WR Fan Crush #13, the likes of which we haven't had since the days of Ryan Grant's rookie year, Dezmon Briscoe, Terrence Austin, Anthony Armstrong, Marko Mitchell.... I feel like I've forgotten five or so.

Anthony Armstrong was at least a useful contributor for a year.  He made more plays than than the other 4 guys combined.

4 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

The slip vs the Giants was just a case of him being excited and trying to make an impression.  Not gonna hold that against him.

Lots of players from both team slipped here and there during the game. So I doubt it have anything to do with excitation. More due to the field.

Otherwise, the kid is a pleasant surprise. With some contribution considering his opportunities. He was a late addition to the active roster (Week 10) so his stats might be misleading.

Not expecting much out of him right now, but I also don't see anything wrong in bringing him back next year. With a bit more seasoning and experience he might be reliable enough to be worthy of a roster spot from the beginning.

And honestly, if he's slow, I don't really care much, makes him run short routes.

A while back, I found this nugget from our rookie mini-camp when I was trying to figure out how Doctson initially injured his foot. 

(WAPO) Josh Doctson stands out, and other observations from Redskins rookie minicamp

● Cal wide receiver Maurice Harris (6-2, 195) looked pretty smooth running routes, and had good hands. It’ll be interesting to see whether can find roster room since Garcon, Jackson, Jamison Crowder, Ryan Grant, Rashad Ross and Andre Roberts all remain.

Why that stood out to me was because the story at the time was Josh learning an NFL playbook while simultaneously the blurb on Harris was that he was running smooth routes so kudos to Maurice.

Hopefully for his career he'll be able to shake that play off. Probably felt really bad from his POV on the ground watching our season slip away. 

Archived