Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maurice Harris: What Do We Have Here?

NoCalMike

5 hours ago, Audible_Red40 said:

He's not fast, he doesn't separate well right now, but he's tall.  So was Anthony Mix and The Comb.  I'll be rooting for him, but won't be holding my breath.

Ahhh, Mix and Malcomb "Weak Knees" Kelly. The good ole days.

A young guy with a big body that was an undrafted rookie working to get playing time on arguably our deepest position by the end of the year. Thats what you want to see from your team. Growth. He grew this year. By the end of the year, he was on the roster in the most important game of the year getting the ball thrown to him. Yeah, he slipped. Yeah, he wasnt a stud, But hopefully he can develop into a solid player for us. Potential is there if he keeps working. Kid can block, that is always a great place to start as a receiver. He also catches the ball, which is good. Hopefully he can learn some routes and maybe be a 30-40 catch type of guy. He already plays well on special teams.

So many people putting this off as JAG, but he is exactly what I want to see from our players.

Kyshoen Jarrett was a JAG and look what he grew to in his first year, stupid injury. Robert Kelley was just a guy. You need 53 guys. They will not all be stars. Doesnt mean they cannot contribute positively.

1 hour ago, PortisBetts said:

A young guy with a big body that was an undrafted rookie working to get playing time on arguably our deepest position by the end of the year. Thats what you want to see from your team. Growth. He grew this year. By the end of the year, he was on the roster in the most important game of the year getting the ball thrown to him. Yeah, he slipped. Yeah, he wasnt a stud, But hopefully he can develop into a solid player for us. Potential is there if he keeps working. Kid can block, that is always a great place to start as a receiver. He also catches the ball, which is good. Hopefully he can learn some routes and maybe be a 30-40 catch type of guy. He already plays well on special teams.

So many people putting this off as JAG, but he is exactly what I want to see from our players.

Kyshoen Jarrett was a JAG and look what he grew to in his first year, stupid injury. Robert Kelley was just a guy. You need 53 guys. They will not all be stars. Doesnt mean they cannot contribute positively.

Great post. and this is what I wish we were saying about guys on our defense. I was hoping Everett would be here with the INT, but he didn't get the opportunities. I don't know why because we had nobody at S and he had made plays but it just didn't happen.

Harris was a guy who worked hard and got onto the field at a position where there were almost no injuries, got Ross cut, seems to have moved ahead of Grant, and caught a lot of first down passes to the point where Cousins trusted him enough to throw it to him a lot in that last game.

IMO, Harris is good enough at 24 years old that I wouldn't even invite 26 year-old Grant back to camp next year.  Harris may never be a #3 or better WR, but at least it's a possibility.  I'd rather have him duke it out with another up-and-comer rather than bring back a journeyman to compete for the #5 spot.

Crazy thought triggered by someone further up in the thread - is it worth looking into a transition to TE like Niles Paul?  Reed is a once-in-a-lifetime talent that is constantly banged up and IMO is a lot closer to retirement than his age would suggest.  Davis' claim to fame is his speed, and that may drop off any year now (and he's not even under contract next year).  If Harris is a good blocker, maybe it's worth having him make the transition?

8 hours ago, Reaper Skins said:

It's promising to me that he seems to be moving up the depth chart.

He's already starting to take over some of Grant's "slip and fall down" routes that we like to feature in the redzone

He has even mastered the interception part out of his. Brilliant!

On 1/3/2017 at 10:52 AM, DJHJR86 said:

Ryan Grant 2.0

I don't want it to be true, but I have a feeling it will be.

He's already better than Grant, he actually looks like a WR when he's playing.

Personally I like what he brings. He's not going to wow anyone with measurables, but he runs good routes, blocks well and catches everything thrown at him. And he's a big body.

Some of you guys are really rough. I don't know what his ceiling is, but I know that several of the catches he made were really good ones. The ball was well off and he snagged it. I'll take a guy with great hands over a 50-50 guy like Rod Gardener. Hopefully, he can improve and find a niche.

Young, good hands, tall, willing (or better) blocker, moved up the depth chart, contributed when given PT... exactly the type of guy you hold onto and hope develops into something more.  He caught my eye watching tape of CAL last year.

I don't know enough about his special teams play or route running, but they at least don't seem a detriment.

Don't think it's fair to call him a JAG given the above attributes.  Doesn't mean he is, or will be anything special, but he's a rook that has shown some promise.  

17 hours ago, Burgold said:

Some of you guys are really rough. I don't know what his ceiling is, but I know that several of the catches he made were really good ones. The ball was well off and he snagged it. I'll take a guy with great hands over a 50-50 guy like Rod Gardener. Hopefully, he can improve and find a niche.

50-50? Wow, we really are on a nostalgia trip in this thread. :) Most likely his ceiling is as a depth guy who can contribute in certain packages and on teams. There's nothing wrong with that. The good news is that on the offensive side of the ball we seem to have coaches that do a decent job of developing younger players into solid contributors. The challenge will be to get more of the same on the defensive side of the ball to get more production out of some key players who I'm certain can do better than they have.

Harris is great depth guy who has stepped up and earned more opportunities as the season wore on. You want depth players like him on your team that can push the other depth guys to do well or expose them. Expecting every player on the roster to be an all-star and devaluing depth guys with a cynical "JAG" label is a formula for losing. If we had more depth like Maurice Harris, guys that have the ability to push past others even at deep positions and earn more starting time and contribute, we'd probably be in the playoffs right now. 

He was undrafted, is on a very cheap contract, and contributes on offense in his rookie year. We definitely need more like that for depth.

Archived