Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has This Season Been A Success?

Diehard Otis

Honestly, I don't know.  Finishing with a Winning Record was important, but that's 2 duds in critical HOME GAMES!  In that context....it's hard to call this Season a success.  

BUT

In the context of this rebuilding effort, we did turn a corner.  So I guess it has been.  

****, I dunno.

The only positive is they didn't do the usual let's win 4 games after a playoff appearance schtick but no this was a failure.

Two games vs. teams with zero to play for AT HOME, missing/benching key players and you can't get a W. That speaks louder than winning 8 games against crappy teams and some clown like Chris Russell bloviating on the radio about how admirable beating the Chicago Bears was. 

If it gets Joe Barry fired, then it may be a success.

Nee

Because it showed we miss one component...play making ability. We could have won 11 games of we had players that make plays. We do some nice stuff but outside of Garcon and Norman we just lack guys who win games. Make big plays at big moments. Have ice water in their veins and just do it.

We will never win a monday night football game or playoffs game with current weak mindset. 

Peaks and valleys. A lot of peaks and valleys. Definitely not a success. We took a step back, missed the playoffs and a worse record and the defense needs a complete overhaul.

Historically bad defense (sound familiar Barry? When do we admit the guy who led the worst defense in the history of the league now coached the team with the worst 3rd down % of all time). No growth out of the linebackers. When do we fault the coach for that? Get a new linebackers coach in here. Worst Inside linebackers in the league by a long shot. Sign someone in free agency who can start right away because we wont be any better if we don't get better at inside linebacker. By far the worst position on the team and thats saying a lot because our safeties are ****ing awful too. Get a safety that can actually cover. Get a defensive lineman that isn't on the wrong side of time. (besides baker). Only positives on defense? Kerrigan had a good year. Murphy was pretty good but tailed off. Pretty highly ranked in terms of sacks. If they had a d-line in front of them, it would help tremendously. Norman played well most of the time. Preston Smith played ok at best, but should be much better than what he was. Cravens made a play 14 weeks ago. That's about it. Everyone else was hot garbage. I mean, just absolutely putrid. Breeland got beat all season. Every one of our safeties sucked. Every single one. Not a lot of future building blocks. Its pretty bare bones there. 

Offense- Kirk showed well this season. Terrible red zone though. Also terrible in big games that could have either kept our seeding(Panthers, Cardinals) or when we could have outright won it (Giants). The running game, either we never stuck to it, or it flat out didnt produce. We don't have an athletic starting running back (Kelley was good, but we can definitely get better play out of that position somewhere) Receivers played well, tight ends played well, line generally played well (except for Lavauo. Please get him out of there next season, he was getting bullied all year) . Couldnt put the ball in the end zone. Tons of yards, not enough points. I mean, 4,800 yards, 24 touchdowns? That's difficult to do. 

Special teams were generally good except for Hopkins. No idea what happened to him in England, but that was the end of him. Crowder is the best punt returner in the league.

Coaching.....This is what kills me. I like Gruden. But he didnt succeed this year either. Lots of time mismanaged. Very bad with time outs. Team came out flat on multiple occassions in big time situations.

McVay needs to learn to run the ****ing ball.

Barry....no words needed.

Can't be a success is you take a step back.

Offense played well for the most part this year, but Jackson and Garcon could be gone.

Defense was horrible as usual and our kicker is a bum.

Overall team has has a lot of holes and might have more holes next year if the right moves aren't mad.

I'm going to say no too. We were given multiple chances to control our fate and we choked each away. In fact, I think we did worse than choke.

I'm ranking this season as one in which we tread water. We didn't gain ground, but we also didn't lose either. The passing game looked better, but the ground game regressed. The D was a consistent disaster except ironically this last half. Special teams clearly improved esp in the punt return game.

Archived