Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you watch and root for Dallas if it helps Skins???

Renegade7

You watching and rooting for Dallas if it helps us???  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sit and watch a Dallas game and root for them to win if it helps the redskins???

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, CBass1724 said:

Dominating both sides of the ball?  I don't think you've looked at their games lately since beating us.  Last night was a total effort, but that hasn't been the case lately.

They beat the Vikings 17-15.

They lost to the Giants 10-7

They beat the Bucs 26-20.

Where is this domination you speak of, outside of last night?  Look, I'm not arguing that they aren't a good team, because they really are.  They just are not as "dominant" as you and others say they are.  They are beatable for sure.

And of course our defense sucks, but it doesn't mean we don't have a good team.  Our team is GREAT on offense and crappy on D which still makes us a pretty good team overall.  And because of our offense, it keeps us very competitive no matter what.

Well at home (which is where they're going to play out the playoffs), they are now 7-1 on the year.  At home, they avg 29 PPG, and D gives up 19 per game.  Average margin of victory being 10 points is pretty damn good.  Are they beatable? Sure....any team is on any given Sunday.  I'll step back from calling that dominant.  But it's still very, very good.  

29 minutes ago, CBass1724 said:

Anyway, like you said, it's not that serious.  And my comment was obviously hyperbole.  Even my signature says "Forum Smartass".  I can really act like a horses ass if you want me to, but I like you and have never had a problem with you.

FWIW, there's a difference between being a smart ass and being an internet tough guy/jerk.   

Not a great generation for true die hard Redskins fans...to each there own, but as a Redskins fan I'd take 100 years of no playoff football and only mediocre seasons before rooting for that team in Dallas...I didn't last night nor against the bucs and haven't since December 5th 1977 AND NEVER WILL!!..NO MATTER WHAT!!.. I guess I feel awful for the younger generation who didn't start watching the redskins until 93.

Its sad how one sided this rivalry is in terms of fan emotion. I guarantee Cowboy fans would have no problem rooting for the Redskins if it helped their team, it'd be unanymous 100%.

Some peoples hatred of the Cowboys borders on the irrational. They'd probably rather go 2-14 if it meant both wins were against the Cowboys then go 9-7 and make the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Some peoples hatred of the Cowboys borders on the irrational. They'd probably rather go 2-14 if it meant both wins were against the Cowboys then go 9-7 and make the playoffs.

Seriously doubt its that serious, but lived through many cowboys fans being spoiled by one-sided-ness of the rivalry in mid 90s - mid 2000s.  Being born and raised in NOVA and having to deal with people who wear silver and blue (the sometime fans), yes, I don't like them.  I'd say cowboys fans don't like us either, but aren't as pissed off as we are because of recent history.

31 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Yes. Because I love the Redskins more than I hate the Cowboys.

I can respect that.

17 minutes ago, Nfcbeasts4721 said:

Not a great generation for true die hard Redskins fans...to each there own, but as a Redskins fan I'd take 100 years of no playoff football and only mediocre seasons before rooting for that team in Dallas...I didn't last night nor against the bucs and haven't since December 5th 1977 AND NEVER WILL!!..NO MATTER WHAT!!.. I guess I feel awful for the younger generation who didn't start watching the redskins until 93.

So I think that makes me a bigger fan of the Skins than you.  

Your a telling me if the Redskins playoff hopes rested on Dallas winning the very last game of the NFL season, even if that win means nothing for Dallas, you would rather see Dallas lose and the Redskins miss the playoffs?  That to me doesn't mean you are a Redskins fan, it means you are a Dallas hater.

56 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Hey man, your thoughts aren't the problem.  Your holier-than-thou approach to it, to quote a poster in this thread, blows.  Renegade has been on this board for coming on thirteen years.  You've been here for eleven.  If you don't know to chill out and not unnecessarily attack or antagonize fellow posters, then you might not be the best fit until you learn otherwise.

I pulled hard for Dallas.  Frankly, I think it's ridiculous to want anything other than what's best for the team to win a Super Bowl at any given point.  It's not always popular, I was part of the "Suck for Luck/Whiffin for Griffin/Take a pill 'till Tannehill" crowd in 2011 so that we wouldn't have to make a trade like we did just to win some games none of us remember now, but to me it's a no-brainer.  Does that mean that those who disagree don't have a brain?  Of course not.  I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.

Just because you call yourself out on being a dick doesn't make it okay to be a dick.  I've only been here since you were five-months-old on this board, but I would expect any of us veterans to act like we know how to be civil even when others disagree.

TL;DR - Chill out.

Holier than thou?  Maybe on this subject, yes.  Do I think I'm right in this case?  Absolutely.  I've been wrong plenty on this board and have no problems admitting so.  Yeah, I probably came across as a jerk if you (the proverbial you) disagreed with me.  If I antagonize a few posters along the way, that doesn't bother me one bit.  It really does not matter how long a lot of us have been here.  There are plenty of great contributors who have been here shorter than us and plenty who have been here longer that are terrible.  I've enjoyed yours and Renegade's opinions and thoughts for years.  My original comment in this thread wasn't to call him out and I only quoted him because it was a reply to the OP. The line that I typed that you and he had a problem with was this:

But if you're just saying "I can't root for Dallas because they are Dallas" then you can go blow yourself. 

Was that harsh?  Yes, probably so.  But that's how much it irritates me.  If I change the "blow" part to "go kick rocks" or "I can't help you", is that acceptable to you?  It was merely hyperbole to make a point.  Not rooting for a team because they are your rival makes no sense in this case because rooting against Dallas was rooting against the Redskins best chance to make the playoffs.  If you dislike my style of posting, "I can't help you."

Also, calling myself out for being a dick goes a long way.  There are plenty of dicks here who do not have the self awareness to know that they are being a dick.  :ols:

46 minutes ago, bradboyd80 said:

Well at home (which is where they're going to play out the playoffs), they are now 7-1 on the year.  At home, they avg 29 PPG, and D gives up 19 per game.  Average margin of victory being 10 points is pretty damn good.  Are they beatable? Sure....any team is on any given Sunday.  I'll step back from calling that dominant.  But it's still very, very good.  

FWIW, there's a difference between being a smart ass and being an internet tough guy/jerk.   

The bolded was my only point towards you.  You tried calling me out saying they are dominant and I pointed out to you that they weren't exactly that.  At no point was I a jerk towards you, or even an "internet tough guy."  I haven't threatened anybody in my posts.  But if someone says or believes something ignorant, they should expect criticism.  <---- This is a "just in general" comment. 

Anyway, I just feel very strongly about this subject and this whole "I can't root for Dallas" angle doesn't ever make sense in my head when it comes to the Redskins best interests.  It wouldn't have mattered if Detroit was playing Dallas, Philly, New England, or Cleveland - I was going to be rooting for whichever team Detroit was playing against.  Who cares if it was our most hated rival playing the Lions?  That's it and that's all.

/start sarcasm

I'll try to do better in the New Year by not bullying all of you with inferior opinions.

/end sarcasm 

53 minutes ago, superozman said:

So I think that makes me a bigger fan of the Skins than you.  

Your a telling me if the Redskins playoff hopes rested on Dallas winning the very last game of the NFL season, even if that win means nothing for Dallas, you would rather see Dallas lose and the Redskins miss the playoffs?  That to me doesn't mean you are a Redskins fan, it means you are a Dallas hater.

Nope ya got it all wrong...check the book of rules page 11..Never root for the Cowboys regardless!!..now I have no problem rooting for the team there playing to do horrible but to root for the cowboys I would never do.... I guess it makes sense for you Redskins fans rooting for the Cowboys on account of your fantasy foosball team is made up of mostly Cowboy players...

6 minutes ago, CBass1724 said:

Holier than thou?  Maybe on this subject, yes.  Do I think I'm right in this case?  Absolutely.  I've been wrong plenty on this board and have no problems admitting so.  Yeah, I probably came across as a jerk if you (the proverbial you) disagreed with me.  If I antagonize a few posters along the way, that doesn't bother me one bit.  It really does not matter how long a lot of us have been here.  There are plenty of great contributors who have been here shorter than us and plenty who have been here longer that are terrible.  I've enjoyed yours and Renegade's opinions and thoughts for years.  My original comment in this thread wasn't to call him out and I only quoted him because it was a reply to the OP. The line that I typed that you and he had a problem with was this:

Was that harsh?  Yes, probably so.  But that's how much it irritates me.  If I change the "blow" part to "go kick rocks" or "I can't help you", is that acceptable to you?  It was merely hyperbole to make a point.  Not rooting for a team because they are your rival makes no sense in this case because rooting against Dallas was rooting against the Redskins best chance to make the playoffs.  If you dislike my style of posting, "I can't help you."

Also, calling myself out for being a dick goes a long way.  There are plenty of dicks here who do not have the self awareness to know that they are being a dick.  :ols:

The bolded was my only point towards you.  You tried calling me out saying they are dominant and I pointed out to you that they weren't exactly that.  At no point was I a jerk towards you, or even an "internet tough guy."  I haven't threatened anybody in my posts.  But if someone says or believes something ignorant, they should expect criticism.  <---- This is a "just in general" comment. 

Anyway, I just feel very strongly about this subject and this whole "I can't root for Dallas" angle doesn't ever make sense in my head when it comes to the Redskins best interests.  It wouldn't have mattered if Detroit was playing Dallas, Philly, New England, or Cleveland - I was going to be rooting for whichever team Detroit was playing against.  Who cares if it was our most hated rival playing the Lions?  That's it and that's all.

/start sarcasm

I'll try to do better in the New Year by not bullying all of you with inferior opinions.

/end sarcasm 

1)  You came across like a jerk because you were being a jerk.  This isn't a case of misinterpretation; this is just you being a self-proclaimed dick.

2)  The point of saying how long the three of us have been here is not to argue that length of membership equals quality (god knows that's not true for me), but it does indicate that we know, or should know, the rules and decorum by now.  If you remember white font on black backgrounds, if you know Om/Art/Tarhog/Die hard/Blondie/bubba/MTH, if you remember the original URL, then you know how to act here.

3)  If you change that line, then yeah, it's better.  Still dickish, but better.  The best choice would be ". . . then I don't know what to tell you" or what you said "I can't help you."  You can validate/reinforce your own opinion without trying to tear down someone else's.  We reserve that for opposing teams fans. :cheers:

4)  Your point isn't wrong, and I agree with it fully.  Team first, ALWAYS.  It's just how you say it that matters.

5)  Pointing out that you're a dick only proves that you know that you're being one.  Sometimes members don't even realize it, and it's still not acceptable.  To do it flagrantly and proudly just sucks.

6)  I'm only saying this because I have enjoyed your posts over the years, too.  This type of **** is beneath you.

5. Your default position is to be respectful of your fellow members in your posts.
Upon registering, every member agrees to not post inappropriate material or topics. This includes content which is knowingly false, defamatory, deceptive, inaccurate, racist, insulting, abusive, inflammatory, vulgar, hateful, obscene, profane, sexually graphic, or physically threatening. It also includes posting anything invasive of another member's personal privacy outside of their posted content on ES, or in violation of any law including any stalking or otherwise harassing any member. Such material connected to the poster's life beyond what they willingly post on ES is a particularly serious violation.

Free debate within the parameters outlined is welcome, and diversity of opinion is vital to a good debate. Every member is free to post their own opinion on the topic/subject of the thread without sanction, as long as the way it's expressed does not violate forum rules. As you debate your fellow members we request you maintain contact with the content of the discussion within each reply, especially as any exchange becomes more heated.

We encourage spirited discussions and holding people accountable for what they post. This may be done in ways from funny to firm, including being castigating if reasonably merited. For example, calling someone "clueless" or calling some comment or post “stupid” when done in appropriate and justifiable context to the poster’s actual content is often allowable. This is most safely done when in response to a specifically posted comment using the "quote" feature or in accurate reference to a poster’s general content in various threads over time on a given topic. Such castigations must not be excessive, and the reaction should be such as may normally be expected by an average reader with a strongly opposing and reasonably informed opinion. If you're unsure, being civil is the safest course. You will rarely go wrong by going after the views of the poster more than the poster's character or personality as you see it. Moderators determine any actions to be taken if needed. Bottom line--do as you choose and so will the moderators.

We are not seeking to favor some genteel "tea & crumpets" gathering or some dry and ponderous book club discussion forum. Nor are we seeking some gratuitously flaming cage-match atmosphere in our threads.

Understand that moderators have wide latitude in defining and enforcing this rule. For this and all matters related to moderation, we suggest close inspection of Rule 18.

You can see here that while you may not be blatantly breaking the rules, you're treading the line.  You may not be spiking the ball in another player's face, but you're definitely taunting.  The mods may not throw the flag, but I'm just one of your teammates telling you to watch it so that you don't draw one by keeping it up.  I like your posts, I like you, I want to see you post more. :)

I hear ya, @NewCliche21.  You made your point.

5 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

You can see here that while you may not be blatantly breaking the rules, you're treading the line.  You may not be spiking the ball in another player's face, but you're definitely taunting.  The mods may not throw the flag, but I'm just one of your teammates telling you to watch it so that you don't draw one by keeping it up.  I like your posts, I like you, I want to see you post more. :)

ME:

image.png

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I took it as a direct shot, and we squashed it via PM.  Just want to put that out there before this thread goes anywhere else except on-topic.  Ya'll good people, even if I disagree with rooting for Dallas.  Free Country : )

Way to take it off topic and talk about your own PM's.:P

I do agree with @CBass1724 that we need to put the team first in any and all situations.  I'm really just trying to go by my mantra of, "In a day, in a month, in a year, will it matter?"  The 2011 wins, nope.  Not making the playoffs in 2016?  Yep.

To me it's that simple.  Before I became a dad, this team was like my baby.  I'd much rather see my kid get into college than the asshole kid from "Texas" not.  Except in this scenario it literally wouldn't affect the other kid in any way.

If rooting for Dallas somehow would have helped them get into the race and just changed our seeding from 6 to 5, I'd have some pause.  But the only way this affected anyone was to help us.  It didn't make a lick of difference to them.

Just curious, who did you pull for on Thursday with the Eagles/Giants?  I wanted the Giants to win.  They were gonna make the playoffs anyway (it would have taken ten stars aligning for that not to happen), so why not put them in a position to rest their starters some this week to increase our chances of getting in?

2 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Way to take it off topic and talk about your own PM's.:P

I do agree with @CBass1724 that we need to put the team first in any and all situations. 

Just curious, who did you pull for on Thursday with the Eagles/Giants?  I wanted the Giants to win.  They were gonna make the playoffs anyway (it would have taken ten stars aligning for that not to happen), so why not put them in a position to rest their starters some this week to increase our chances of getting in?

It's all good, it would be boring if we agreed on everything : )

Honestly, I think ya'll are still confusing my question (difference in understanding the stakes and actively rooting for a certain outcome while watching the game).  I totally understand the reasoning for wanting Dallas to win, but the question was if you would watch the game and actively root for Dallas to win.  That I can't do it, and part of that is I've fallen back from watching much football if the Redskins aren't playing (occasionally watch NFC East games for scouting purposes).  If I did, I'd rationalize everything in an irrational way of the team Dallas was playing doing me a favor (much others have mentioned) by sucking so bad.  Thank you, Detroit.  **** you Dallas. 

As for the Giants-Eagles game, I was busy helping parents get a tree in their house, but I'd be fine with Eagles winning to further stow chaos with that teams offense.  I'd rather get a discombobulated Eli and pissed off OBJ then a well oiled machine debating on whether to pull starters or not.

First of all, this thread and the asses chapped by cbass are hysterical.

Second, if routing for Dallas would enable any of us to blow ourselves, there'd be a lot more cowboy fans here.

Third, rivalries mean **** all since FA era started, except when it comes to playoff positioning.

Fourth, if Dallas winning a game helps the Redskins, of course you route for them. Doing otherwise is to route against the Redskins.

Definitely,, ,, i would find it hard to consider a person a "fan" if they did not want what is best for their team. And if it means the playoffs via a Cowboys win, well, go Dallas!

If you are having a hard time coming to grips with this, consider it this way.

You are NOT rooting for the Cowboys, you are rooting for the Redskins, and it just so happens the best thing for them would be if the team Dallas is playing loses.

So when you cheer for a Prescott TD pass, you are not cheering for a Prescott TD pass.. you are cheering for the Redskins being 6 points closer to their goal.

Now, if you cheer a Prescott TD pass and it does not affect the Redskins in a positive manner (or your fantasy team) then i really would question your upbringing and point out how obviously your parents failed you.

~Bang

23 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Its sad how one sided this rivalry is in terms of fan emotion. I guarantee Cowboy fans would have no problem rooting for the Redskins if it helped their team, it'd be unanymous 100%.

For what it's worth I have 5 cowboys fans at work and only one said he would root for the Skins if roles were reversed.   And he can't even name their qb.

On 12/27/2016 at 1:23 PM, Nfcbeasts4721 said:

I would definitely be for going two and 14 each season if there's only two wins came against the Cowboys better yet even if we went 5 and 11 swept the Cowboys and Eagles and beat the Giants once

23 hours ago, Nfcbeasts4721 said:

Nope ya got it all wrong...check the book of rules page 11..Never root for the Cowboys regardless!!..now I have no problem rooting for the team there playing to do horrible but to root for the cowboys I would never do.... I guess it makes sense for you Redskins fans rooting for the Cowboys on account of your fantasy foosball team is made up of mostly Cowboy players...

This isn't rooting for the Redskins. This is just rooting against the Cowboys, and in turn rooting against the Redskins simultaneously. You're quite literally rooting for us to fail.

Lol Also, I know what you meant, but I can't help but chuckle at the concept of "Fantasy Foosball".

11 minutes ago, jpage520 said:

This isn't rooting for the Redskins. This is just rooting against the Cowboys, and in turn rooting against the Redskins simultaneously. You're quite literally rooting for us to fail.

Lol Also, I know what you meant, but I can't help but chuckle at the concept of "Fantasy Foosball".

No one roots harder for the redskins than I do...majority of y'all saying I'm not rooting for the skins but for Dallas to so horrible partially watch the game and half the time have no clue what's going on cuz ya got ur mind so focused on fantasy Foosball...again I can always root for the opposing team that's playing Dallas to do horrible but as far as to get excited or to hope for dallas to have success in any way is just not in my blood!!

Archived