Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What If I Told You The Browns Spend More Money On Defense Than The Redskins?

KingGibbs

Let me start by saying that our organization is being built strategically and methodically and we must stay the course. It's not going to happen in a day. Just ask Rome.

That being said? Well damn! No wonder our defense is filled with deplorables. We our LAST,  that's right LAST in the NFL in defemdive monies allocated against the cap at $33,000,000. That's with the Norman signing included. The Browns are 31st at I believe $38,000,000. 

As we know, we are going to have a plethora of cap space even with a possible Cousins extension and we are IMO set on offense minus a LG, RB and depth.

Not going to discuss FA because DC9 has a thread addressing FA, but we have an opportunity to address what has been our achilles heel for years and see a dramatic turnaround. Oh yeah. Barry must go. 

Those figures are a little misleading since base salaries change and the signing bonuses are spread out.  Norman's base salary will jump from $5 mil in 2016 to $16.5 mil in 2017.  Kerrigan's base salary will increase $3 mil next year.  Joe Haden is their highest paid player on Browns's defense and his base salary is about at it's max.   So if you look at 2017, based on current rosters, the Skins allocated money towards 2017 will significantly spike and the Browns will stay relatively flat.  

KZYERVJ_zpsuzhhmn7b.jpg

Clearly you smartasses missed the part where I said we are building strategically and methodically and need to stay the course.

In no way am I suggesting another Haynesworth type signing. I'm merely suggesting that GMSM will have the means to get his type of football players and potentially improve the defense dramatically. Not that it would take much compared to the current defense.

Sorry I missed the other threads. Pretty much sticking to the works of the great HapHazard in BBRN.

Merry Christmas you filthy animals.

Thanks KG

this can be thread where I air my grievances about GMSM

i actually don't care that we spent less than the browns. I'm ****ing pissed that we can't do better than Washington Valor players like Compton, Foster, Reyes, Bruton, and the like 

no way you can convince me that you could not at least marginally improve those positions. Those guys don't belong in the damn league. 

I don't think KG was advocating to go nuts in FA.

For me, this isn't just about spending money, it means that there aren't enough players on the defensive side of the ball that have warranted medium to large contracts. And that's because our own talent, outside of Kerrigan, hasn't warranted that. 

So we've got a ton of players that were had on the cheap as well as a bunch of young guys on rookie deals. Our two best players, and guys deserving of being paid, are on the outside in Kerrigan and Norman. 

Unsurprisingly, that's how the defense plays. Decent on the outside, horrific up the middle. 

The good news is we're relatively young on that side of the ball and a few solutions to our problems can easily come within because of that. And, furthermore, we should be able to allocate a bigger chunk of cap space to that side of the ball this offseason. 

It's also why I'm more sympathetic to Barry than most. 

I remember hearing that one of the reasons we shied away from hiring Wade Phillips is because he demanded a certain amount of resources to be immediately put into the defense (e.g. Our first rounder or x amount of cap space). We were unwilling to give him that. 

If that's true, I'm impressed by him. He gets it. He knows he can't do crap as a coach without top notch personnel. 

38 minutes ago, mojo said:

All I'll say is that although I like Norman,  I wish we would have spread that 30 million among a few other positions on D instead of sinking it into one position.

But is that ever really the case in FA? FAs in general are paid a premium, its very difficult to get quality players at a bargain. I mean, we basically went bargain shopping and got garbage. Guys like Olivier Vernon got monster contracts.

A lot of y'all sounded like I did after week 2. Fact is, there wasn't a lot of great FA and the ones who were there, were vastly over paid.

Scot said three years. Offense is pretty much in place and special teams is pretty good. We've got some players on defense now and we know where our holes are.

Next year will be better.

On 12/8/2016 at 9:57 AM, Wildbunny said:

So what's the point? You miss Vinny?

I think the point is that we spend a much larger percent of our cap on the WR then any other team in the league vs having spending the least amount of cap on our secondary. I did a cap space by breakdown of the skins vs other teams last year and the comparisons were eye opening. We allocate very little resources to our secondary, Josh Norman addition was huge for us. I dont have the time right now bc it takes a good hour of research and number crunching but I imagine the large disparities still apply to our roster. 

It will be a good summertime thread imo. 

21 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I think the point is that we spend a much larger percent of our cap on the WR then any other team in the league vs having spending the least amount of cap on our secondary. I did a cap space by breakdown of the skins vs other teams last year and the comparisons were eye opening. We allocate very little resources to our secondary, Josh Norman addition was huge for us. I dont have the time right now bc it takes a good hour of research and number crunching but I imagine the large disparities still apply to our roster. 

It will be a good summertime thread imo. 

I got that, but I really doubt that's relevant. You spend money in FA if there's guys that suits you and if you want to over pay or not, not really looking at the position. If you have a good feel for the draft or not. If you resign your own guys as well...

With all the turnover we had in the secondary last year I doubt that means much right now. Money goes with opportunities to me. They're not allocated like a budget thing saying you have to spend 13% on the QB, 20% on the line... and so on...

20 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I got that, but I really doubt that's relevant.

I think looking at cap space allocation per position is very relevant to how a roster is constructed. I find it interesting. I understand "opportunities" in FA are somewhat unpredictable (ie Norman) but to have such an unbalanced roster is worth discussion imo. Or not discuss it. Something to kick around in June. 

We spend 34.8% of our cap on Defense. $83,371,969 on offense and $44,562,476 on defense.  

http://overthecap.com/positional-spending/

Archived