Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

9 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Keim said <50 % chance and two beat writers for CLE shot down Jimmy G trade and said Pryor is CLE top priority right now. The Land is still heavy favorite for him

Thanks hadn't heard or read that.

11 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Keim said <50 % chance and two beat writers for CLE shot down Jimmy G trade and said Pryor is CLE top priority right now. The Land is still heavy favorite for him

Combination of Cleveland being able to front load the contract and flat out be willing to pay market value in free agency with Bruce being a proud cheap guy -- I think makes us the underdog to land him if Cleveland is serious.  Now that we are more aware of Bruce's involvement -- I think its fair to label Bruce's FA approach is to overpay for 3rd tier-marginal 2nd tier FAs.  He will give 5 million a year to arguably a 3 million dollar type player -- but with a rare exception becomes gun shy to acquire marquee names in the 8 million-12 million range.

If they don't make a serious signing I think its easier to make the claim that they have gotten worse not better in FA thus far whereas the Giants and Eagles have taken another step up.

I am intrigued by Pryor, but if we don't pony up for Kirk, Pierre, Baker etc, why would we pony up for a guy still learning a new position?

To make a splash I guess, and distract us.

I assume there aren't enough tubes of him dominating at WR to wow our Dan scouting department. Forced to guess, I don't think he will land here.

Maybe a guy like Terrance Williams is on our radar. I think we need to look at cheaper options if you want to try to guess what Allen is thinking. He is likely scrambling to have enough cap room to sign Cousins to the type of deal it will now require to get him to stay.

5 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Garcon got 9.5 AAV according to spotrac. The spotrac market value before FA was at 8.7. 

Neither number was/is ludicrous. 

I'd agree the numbers are not ludicrous. But it's an aggressive contract for a 30 year old receiver. Not signing him

or Jackson and wanting to go younger at that spot is very defensible from a team and roster building perspective.

If we sign Pryor as his replacement we got an upgrade IMO - but I'd expect him to cost significantly more.

If having lost both Garçon and Jackson we don't sign Pryor color me concerned.

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I am intrigued by Pryor, but if we don't pony up for Kirk, Pierre, Baker etc, why would we pony up for a guy still learning a new position?

To make a splash I guess, and distract us.

I assume there aren't enough tubes of him dominating at WR to wow our Dan scouting department. Forced to guess, I don't think he will land here.

Maybe a guy like Terrance Williams is on our radar. I think we need to look at cheaper options if you want to try to guess what Allen is thinking. He is likely scrambling to have enough cap room to sign Cousins to the type of deal it will now require to get him to stay.

We already 'ponyied' up 24M for Cousins.

As for film of Pryor dominating we watched him hand Norman is ass when we played Cleveland last year. If signing Pryor is a splash I'm all for diving in.

34 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pryor would be a huge get. Has the make up to be another Randy Moss IMO. 

Still need FS, DL and ILB.

I'll go you one better. I think he's got the build, strength, hands  and confidence to play like Terrell Owens..  minus all the drama.

Moss was pretty much a vertical guy, he outran everyone and could catch anything.
Owens.. man, he used to beat the CRAP out of the DBs trying to cover him. 

Except for Sean. He was terrified of Sean.

I call a player like that a "weapon receiver"..  he can destroy your defense from anywhere on the field, and he will run your DBs into the ground physically. Much more than a vertical deep threat.Much more than a 'possession' receiver.

There's not many of them. 

I think Pryor can be that type of weapon receiver. Cousins would LOVE him.

~Bang

Imagine we still have a good chunk of cap space left. The 3 signings yesterday weren't bank breakers. Signing Pryor doesn't preclude us from going after anyone else. 

Also, I think Swearinger IS our FS signing. It's wheee he played best last year and he's young and has pedigree. Now does that mean he's THE answer at FS? No way. I'm sure we draft someone in the mid rounds as well ...  but I'd remove it as a need for FA at least 

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

We already 'ponyied' up 24M for Cousins.

We backed ourselves into a corner on that one. And its only only year.

I thinking more of the framework now required for a long term deal. I suspect he and Dan feel like they are in damage control mode, hoping the drinking angle makes things blow over. If not, a possible solution to all that ails them is to get Kirk under contract, by backing up the truck.  

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

I'd agree the numbers are not ludicrous.

From what I've read of his contract, it was front loaded. It has the potential to pay out more money through achievements. Apparently the base salary drops significantly is year 2. The contract overall, as it was intimated by the writer, was an easy get-out. 

So, after 2 years, 3 years, if he is falling apart, you can cut bait and not lose your shirt over it. 

Actually the total monies in his new contract are not significantly more than the previous contract he had here with the Redskins. Im fact I think the guaranteed money is the same. If you cross compare the two contracts and add in the cap inflation, percentage wise it looks like a significant value contract, honestly, to me.

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

But it's an aggressive contract for a 30 year old receiver. Not signing him or Jackson and wanting to go younger at that spot is very defensible from a team and roster building perspective.

Yeah but that's just generic talk. You could apply the 'get younger' and '30 year old' stuff anywhere, to anyone. 

Since apparently Scot was barred from the lockerroom by Bruce, I guess McC had to rely on the game film, like me, to make his determination to the worth of Garcon. And in my estimation, Garcon was nothing short of amazing  for us in crucial situations. No other person I'd want to throw the ball to on 4th down and whatever, if my life depended on it. 

Of course, I was never in the lockerroom or behind closed doors to see the clod blooded businessman I've read so much about here on ES. To be sure, whether the FO used the interpersonal relationships thing to make a determination on Garcon, ES certainly did. 

And all I'm saying is that if you base not re-signing Garcon because he requested a trade, or was a meanie, or whatever, instead of the game film, then it's my claim that the decision isn't being made by a football person. 

All good. 

Pryor would be a huge net.  Absolutely necessary if we're hoping for KC to be here beyond 1 year.  If we lose Garcon/DJax and Doctson is a ? that goes badly, then suddenly it's basically TEs and Crowder.  That's a bad time waiting to happen, especially if we don't find a thousand yard RB somewhere.

But beyond that, Pryor has a very high ceiling.  He could make a QB very happy for 3-4 years.

McClain, McGee, and Swearinger aren't bad signings.  Realistically McClain and McGee fill in for Swaggy, we're still missing that top-end talent, but it's not a terrible bunch.  I like what Swearinger offers.  More security on the back end is always good.

Aside from EVERYTHING ELSE going crazy everywhere else, this isn't a terrible FA period.  If we land Pryor the offensive downgrade is negligible while defensively we probably improve slightly.  Probably a slight net positive.  Maybe.

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

It looks like Slim Pickens after Pryor... everyone else has baggage.

Our chances of landing a top WR has come down to him, or bust.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2017WR.php

If we do not get Pryor we will be drafting a receiver and it would not shock me with a first round pick again. I think if they miss on him then they go with the big DT signing. So much to play out still.

24 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If having lost both Garçon and Jackson we don't sign Pryor color me concerned.

That's exactly where I am at.  

I am ok with D. Jax and Garcon gone if Pryor comes here.  But if Pryor ends up too rich for Bruce's blood and instead lets say Bruce pays 7 million a year for Victor Cruz or K. Wright then I'd be unhappy.  Unless that comes with Bruce signing 2 marquee defensive FAs.  I don't mind McGee and McClain -- but they are in the Ziggy Hood mode IMO -- average guys with deep injury histories, maybe at best slightly above average.  But at the moment the D line IMO is worse considering Chris Baker was the one difference maker and he's gone. 

Free agency in recent years have been mostly window dressing.  Bruce has shown he's willing to pay $5 instead of $3 for a Big Mac but that's really IMO the heart of his FA approach.   The Giants ate at Morton's in FA last year and had a steak this year already too.  They've had great payoff for that approach.  Eagles have eaten already at Mortons, too.  

I'd rather have a steak or two in FA then 6 big Macs.  I get that the big Mac approach doesn't hurt the cap much but we've also seen it doesn't help the team much either.  So far only signing I like a lot is Swearinger. 

14 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

@wilco_holland I saw something recently stating that coaches though Mo had the best hands of the WRs last year. I think he could be decent. Ryan Grant? Hurts the offense more than he helps when he's gotten on the field. Jay's love fest for him is...baffling I guess is the best word to describe it

Mo being our only WR over 6 foot last year, maybe he has the big monster hands that is just rare to find on a guy under 6 foot - that is the best hands thing.  But its hard to argue against Garcon, who I think had only 3 drops IIRC in infinitely more targets over 2 years.  Mo is big and physical and Jay is high on him, but again Jay is high on Grant.

I do think Grant had a tough job. Coming in with really only Jay having his back. Telling the D we are running the ball, and then being expected to make the odd reception with a DB closing expecting a run play... its just an odd role for a young smallish WR to have. Some of his plays that drew the ire of fans, I think were horrible play calls. Throws to the far side of the field, attempting a 3 yard pass.

4 minutes ago, Bang said:

I think Pryor is gonna get the Dan treatment.. they won't let him leave the building without a signature and stuffing his pockets full of money.

A lot is riding on Doctson's heel.

~Bang

I hope so.   Funny that there is a protest albeit small one I hear at Redskins Park while Pryor is visiting this morning.   There is much I don't care for relating to Danny but I actually do like the full court press he puts on when he wants a player.   

So who do we have on the DL?

0T: Phil Taylor, A.J. Francis

3T: Stacy McGee

5T: Terrell McClain, Ricky Jean-Francois, Anthony Lanier, Matt Ionidis

Still need a playmaker at 3T and 5T or both. Maybe through the draft. Team seems to rely a little less on the 0T than most 3-4 teams ... and I think McGee can be that 0T in the right situations. So toss 0T out ... you still need a 3T and 5T and playmakers there, I'd argue. Granted, you can get that in the draft, but ...

Also, per FanSpeak ... Skins current cap situation sits at $19 million. Now, you can create another $8 million be releasing Hall and Lavaou ... and if you can get a LTD for Cousins then you get another $5-6m. But we don't have tons to spend at this point.

Archived