Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins leads NFL in passing yards through Week 8

NattyBo

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

Cherry picking stats to make Kirk seem like an untouchable franchise QB is not goal. I'm as critical of him as the next guy.

However, dismissing his successes (such as they are) because of the system he's in is short-sighted and I felt the need to mitigate that concern with some positive stats. Namely, his YPA is actually quite good; 7th among those with at least 150 attempts, which is floor for day 1 starters this season. 

I'm not really arguing any of that. Just that having a thread dedicated to praising Cousins for leading the league in yards (total) and highlighting how impressive that is considering he's only 7th in attempts (per game) is a completely misleading, at best, way to discuss him.

7 hours ago, NattyBo said:

EDIT: The NFL site hadn't updated with the Falcons - Packers game yet - Cousins is #2.  Oh well. 

Mods, my apologies if this doesn't warrant it's own topic - send it to the garbage bin if so.  Seems pretty notable and thread worthy to me. 

WF2Qhfh.png

Is that good? :) 

Side topic, can the Red Zone issues be fixed?

Obviously it's encouraging and we are clearly moving the ball but we have yet to put up 30 points on anyone. That's what counts, we are hovering around 500 and we need to ekk out close wins. There are three kinds of lies; lies, damned lies and statistics. 

For the record I think Cousins has been excellent last 3 games but we are 1-1-1 in that stretch, not 3-0, even 2-1 would feel a lot better.

4 hours ago, NattyBo said:

When was the last time a Redskins QB was #1 on this list halfway through a season? 1999, maybe? 1991 if not.  I'm not saying it's a predictive stat but what I do think it's a good indicator of is that the issues do not lie with QB play.

Pay that man and start building around him before the window closes

You gotta go back to Jurgenson in '69 and '67 when we had a QB who lead in years yards or rating in a season. Bob's 102 rating in 2012 u can note that. Rypien had his '91 season which was great but other QB's had better seasons, Young for example. Brad Johnson in '99 was known for being just the 2nd skin to get 4,000 yards. It was a big deal for us, cause times were starting to change, many teams had QB's hitting 4k and we thought Brad would do that for a while. It wasn't a huge TD year for him, and his rating that year only ranked 4th in franchise history.

5 hours ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

Obviously it's encouraging and we are clearly moving the ball but we have yet to put up 30 points on anyone. That's what counts, we are hovering around 500 and we need to ekk out close wins. There are three kinds of lies; lies, damned lies and statistics. 

Maybe you were asleep or whatever but...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016100207/2016/REG4/browns@redskins#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000713423&tab=recap

We won 31-20

14 hours ago, NattyBo said:

I don't think the RZ issues are on Cousins. He can't stop Matt Jones from fumbling, or the coaching staff from calling 3 fades in a row to their new toy, or not trying to scheme Reed open, or not calling more zone read keepers for him...etc.

I guess it's impossible to have this not turn into a referendum on Cousins, but, I think that's a pretty impressive stat through 8 games. He's 46 yards short of being on a 5,000 yard season pace, which is incredible. 

It was an interesting exercise watching him live yesterday and having the perspective of the whole field. He moved the team well, making some brilliant throws within that. And he was standing up and encouraging/ leading the O. That was noticeable. But conversely, he complete overlooked at least two guys for walk in TD's in the RZ, and another for what would of been a big gain downfield. 

I really don't know where to peg him right now and I'm honestly not sure at all you pump elite money into him and hope he continues to develop and iron out his flaws. 

Hail. 

4 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

But conversely, he complete overlooked at least two guys for walk in TD's in the RZ, and another for what would of been a big game downfield. 

I would be curious to know a couple things as it relates to him overlooking open guys: 

1) How often does this happen around the league and where does he rank?

2) If he's passing up one open guy to hit another one, how tough do we "grade" that play?

What you hear about some of the better offenses is that they have guys running open all the time. A by-product of that is the outcome where we complete a pass to one open guy instead of another. That's always going to lend itself to criticism if the results aren't what you want. 

8 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I would be curious to know a couple things as it relates to him overlooking open guys: 

1) How often does this happen around the league and where does he rank?

2) If he's passing up one open guy to hit another one, how tough do we "grade" that play?

What you hear about some of the better offenses is that they have guys running open all the time. A by-product of that is the outcome where we complete a pass to one open guy instead of another. That's always going to lend itself to criticism if the results aren't what you want. 

Absolutely. I just found it an interesting perspective watching the game live from on high seeing the whole field/ play to watching a minimised version on the TV.

Naturally SO much more you overlook or more so don't get the opportunity to see on TV. 

Hail. 

4 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

It was an interesting exercise watching him live yesterday and having the perspective of the whole field. He moved the team well, making some brilliant throws within that. And he was standing up and encouraging/ leading the O. That was noticeable. But conversely, he complete overlooked at least two guys for walk in TD's in the RZ, and another for what would of been a big gain downfield. 

I really don't know where to peg him right now and I'm honestly not sure at all you pump elite money into him and hope he continues to develop and iron out his flaws. 

Hail. 

Are you saying all elite QBs find every single open guy?  I was at the game last year when we played Brees I can tell you he had wide open receivers at least twice and totally ignored them.  When you drop back 40 times you will have 3 or 4 times at least a receiver that you don't see.

Bottom line is if we have a little better D, a RB that doesn't fumble, and Hopkins hits on a freaking chipshot we are 6-2..and those 4 wins are actually a little easier than they were, again if the D was a little better especially stopping the run.

49 minutes ago, justice98 said:

From a numbers standpoint, he's doing what it takes to get paid.  Although, at this pace, yardage will be up, but so will INTs, while TDs will be down.  But within the reasonable margin, IMO.  Attempts will be way up though, like 100 more than last year.

Incorrect sir. At this point last year he threew about 10 tds and 9 ints, this year he has thrown 12tds and 7 ints i believe. In every way the first half of 2016 kc is better than the first half of 2015. 

You are assuming linear progressions which is not what the data indicates. The data says kirk will likely Improve in the second half of 2016 just like 2015. (Hopefully that will be enough to silenece the last remaining rg3 fans who want anyone but kirk.) 

Just now, Cliffmark1 said:

Incorrect sir. At this point last year he threew about 10 tds and 9 ints, this year he has thrown 12tds and 7 ints i believe. In every way the first half of 2016 kc is better than the first half of 2015. 

I wasnt arguing the first half.  I was using ESPNs projections for the second half, which is just simple math.  Obviously, he could be better or worse.  But the safe assumption is he'll be what he has been in the first half, rather than assume he'll duplicate the hot streak of last year.

15 hours ago, NattyBo said:

When was the last time a Redskins QB was #1 on this list halfway through a season?

When's the last time a Redskins QB had 321 pass attempts halfway through a season? lol...Averaging 40 pass attempts a game is not good.

24 minutes ago, Cliffmark1 said:

You are assuming linear progressions which is not what the data indicates. The data says kirk will likely Improve in the second half of 2016 just like 2015. (Hopefully that will be enough to silenece the last remaining rg3 fans who want anyone but kirk.) 

What? lol...What 'data" says Cousins will improve? He didn't improve in 2014...and I can't think of anything, data or otherwise, to suggest that a QB will mirror his same production arc from the previous season in the current one.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

When's the last time a Redskins QB had 321 pass attempts halfway through a season? lol...Averaging 40 pass attempts a game is not good.

But I would guess we're running more plays, in general.  More run and pass plays.  But that's a guess, I could be wrong about that, but it seems that way.

We're a pass first pass second pass third team. Its just what we are. If we want to win games we have to pass it 35+ times a game unless we're up in a blowout late. This notion that we absolutely have to be balanced is silly and outdated. Do what you do best. Every time we run the ball we're basically giving the D a play off.

13 minutes ago, justice98 said:

But I would guess we're running more plays, in general.  More run and pass plays.  But that's a guess, I could be wrong about that, but it seems that way.

We're averaging 3 more plays a game this season over last season at the moment. We're averaging 6 more pass plays a game this season over last season at the moment.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We're a pass first pass second pass third team. Its just what we are. If we want to win games we have to pass it 35+ times a game unless we're up in a blowout late. This notion that we absolutely have to be balanced is silly and outdated. Do what you do best. Every time we run the ball we're basically giving the D a play off.

A millions times better to be closer to balanced than to be pass-heavy.

I mean, we act like Cousins' arm is bionic or something and will never tire as the season goes on. We also act like our run game can just get turned on when needed--and don't fool yourself, the run game will always be needed--without committing to it in most games. Also less chance of Cousins getting injured if he's dropping back less per game. Offense also becomes less predictable...weird how opposing offenses becoming one dimensional is seen as a bad thing for them, but good for ours lol...

Cousins throws a good short and medium catchable ball.  He throws a lot of them; and completes most of them.  It is a good ball, no doubt.  That 's great.

There is one thing I have seen repeatedly in close games we lose or now tie.  At the very end, he seems lackadaisical with the game on the line and still a chance to win.

Last week, it was his weak throw to Garçon at the 50 with 10 seconds to go.  He wasn't under pressure and Garçon was wide open.  Yesterday, on the last play of the game, with only three rushers, Cousins receives the snap and immediately backpeddled in a way that showed he never intended to try and get the ball to the end zone and win the game.  And, yes, he did throw it out of bounds to end the game.  Seen it before a bunch of times.  I would like to see him give it everything he's got at that moment.  But, maybe that's just not him.  Maybe it's just not Gruden either.  I love it when the Redskins lay it on the line until the end.  When it comes to sports, we can easily except close losses and ties, or..

"Winning isn't everything.  It is the only thing."  Famous Hall of Fame Redskins Coach Vince Lombardi

23 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I mean, we act like Cousins' arm is bionic or something and will never tire as the season goes on. We also act like our run game can just get turned on when needed--and don't fool yourself, the run game will always be needed--without committing to it in most games. Also less chance of Cousins getting injured if he's dropping back less per game. Offense also becomes less predictable...weird how opposing offenses becoming one dimensional is seen as a bad thing for them, but good for ours lol...

Not to mention that beating up the defense with the run game, particularly given how good we've been at sustaining longer drives, leads to a worn down defense by the end of the game.

With that said... passing is obviously our strength, so I'd expect things to skew that way.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

QBs arms don't really tire out in football. This ain't baseball pitchers. Cousins will be fine throwing it 800 times over the season if he has to.

Ideally yes you want balance, but if your pass game is well above average if not lethal and your run game is mediocre, then %s say you should throw a lot more. Of course there are times you want to run it(short yardage, goal line, clock kill, etc.)but I don't think people should be going crazy about the run pass ratio being skewed towards the pass. We're a passing based team, lets do what we do best.

I think predictability is a myth too. When we had the Hogs we were predictable too, doesn't mean anyone could stop us. Its about talent and execution and we have that in the pass game. I mean the Pats short pass game is super predictable but its damn near unstoppable. Everyone knows Jordan Reed is getting the ball but he's unstoppable.

14 hours ago, Taylor703 said:

Our O is part of the problem. For whatever reason, the playcalling in the redzone has been a disaster. I don't really blame Kirk for that though. 

For a fourth round pick I guess you can't ask for much more. 

ding ding ding

People act like he's a 1st round draft pick.  Cousins is a bona fine starter in this league.

67% completions percentage, Leading the NFL in completions, 2nd in yards, 2nd in attempts.  He's leading one of the most productive offenses in the NFL.  Rarely gets sacked because he has a quick release, smart with the ball, although he makes occasional boneheaded plays.

Cousins is a good quarterback

He's not great yet, but he is VERY good.

Archived