Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How good could we be without these game killing mistakes/turnovers?

Skinzorz

Everything aside, good teams overcome mistakes.  However I have said this before and I will say it again, Joe Barry can't coach situational football.  The entire series on that last drive he played prevent D.  You can't do that man, you need to mix it up, did you guys see any blitz say from a corner?  Hell no.  Very predictable and vanilla, this is why we lost.  One good blitz and a hit on Stafford may have done the trick.  You simply can't give up a 75 yard TD with a minute to go.  You just can't. All the mistakes, all the misqueues we still had that game won if this Ahole can actually learn how to attack a QB under duress.  

Look what the Eagles did against Stafford, they shut him down the 2nd half.  They attacked Bradford yesterday and beat the Vikings.  This guy I am telling you sucks as a DC.

I don't know what to expect against the Bengalities, but during the bye week I'd like to see Grant demoted and Jones just sent packing. He's not worthy of being a starter, and I'd bet no one would be jumping out to grab him. He lacks the essential tools needed to be a RB; ball security, absorbing contact, kinda reminds me of Chuck Muncie, a guy who had potential but was known to fumble.

Put Kelly and Thompson on a beer & donut diet, beef em up a little, make sure their hair is tucked in, and they will show how a RB runs the ball. Jones goes down as soon as contact is made, and he just refuses to protect the ball. How many more fumbles will he lose before Jay gets the picture? Regardless of whether we recover his fumble, its a sign of a poor RB; I cringe every time he touches the ball.

46 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Everything aside, good teams overcome mistakes.  However I have said this before and I will say it again, Joe Barry can't coach situational football.  The entire series on that last drive he played prevent D.  You can't do that man, you need to mix it up, did you guys see any blitz say from a corner?  Hell no.  Very predictable and vanilla, this is why we lost.  One good blitz and a hit on Stafford may have done the trick.  You simply can't give up a 75 yard TD with a minute to go.  You just can't. All the mistakes, all the misqueues we still had that game won if this Ahole can actually learn how to attack a QB under duress.  

Look what the Eagles did against Stafford, they shut him down the 2nd half.  They attacked Bradford yesterday and beat the Vikings.  This guy I am telling you sucks as a DC.

the rush was there.  you cant blitz when you have your best corner out and then you have breeland who is nursing a injury. 

57 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

I don't know what to expect against the Bengalities, but during the bye week I'd like to see Grant demoted and Jones just sent packing. He's not worthy of being a starter, and I'd bet no one would be jumping out to grab him. He lacks the essential tools needed to be a RB; ball security, absorbing contact, kinda reminds me of Chuck Muncie, a guy who had potential but was known to fumble.

Put Kelly and Thompson on a beer & donut diet, beef em up a little, make sure their hair is tucked in, and they will show how a RB runs the ball. Jones goes down as soon as contact is made, and he just refuses to protect the ball. How many more fumbles will he lose before Jay gets the picture? Regardless of whether we recover his fumble, its a sign of a poor RB; I cringe every time he touches the ball.

I'm with you on most of this...a couple quibbles: 

1) I wouldn't cut Jones, but I would give Kelly the starting reps and potentially look to expand Thompson's role. In fact, we could go more spread so that Thompson is in there more and featured a bit more often. 

2) I wouldn't have Thompson beef up at all...much of what he brings to the table is his quickness and speed. I wouldn't mess with that right now. 

3) Grant is the one I'd cut - we've been patient for a couple years now. At this point, he's taking reps away from Ross despite repeatedly coming up small in huge situations. 

12 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I wonder if this is part of the process...we are relatively young and learning how to transition from an average team to a good team.

This is exactly whats going on in Washington! This is a team that is growing up, and the process is only time and experience playing with one another. This team is young in every way, and is starting to show they can play toe to toe with anyone. Limit the mistakes, which will happen as they grow, and we have a pretty good team in Washington, soon to be one of the big boys in this league.

2 minutes ago, ddub52 said:

Is it weird that after Cousins scored the TD with a minute left I felt pretty confident we would hold them off and get the W? 

No because the team is "re-training" our expectations as fans. Over the last year and a half we've done well in close games where we need to make a few plays to win or seal the deal. Yesterday was an exception. Stafford is really good, give him credit. And Roberts made a heckuva catch on that one over the middle. We left too much on the field yesterday. We just got going a bit too late. 

We both missed FGs, so those "mistakes" offset. Granted, their attempt was due to a terribly thrown 3rd & long pass by Stafford that bounced off of Breeland and right to Tate. Lucky SOBs. 

We fumbled the ball into the end zone from the 1; those are guaranteed points wiped off the board. We fumbled again, which I don't believe resulted in points, but it was a 3rd down that would have gotten us into range.

It was good to see the refs keeping the laundry in their pockets; penalties didn't favor either team.

When all was said and done, these were two above average teams playing a back and forth game of football. Just about every stat line favored us, except for the turnovers... If we played a clean game, we win. 

I strongly second some of the comments above about getting Jones and Grant the F off of the field. 

31 minutes ago, youngchew said:

Two mistakes have kept us from being in a completely different position.  Without Kirk's bonehead INT in the endzone vs Dallas and Jones' goal line fumble yesterday....we're 6-1 :( 

I don't disagree, but any number of bad breaks in the Ravens and Giants game could have easily turned those into losses. I think 4-3 feels about right for this team given how razor thin the margins have been in most games. 

As much as it sucks that the Skins beat themselves yesterday, for some reason, I am not very upset about this loss or concerned about the team after it.  They moved the ball and only punted twice.  They simply made some critical mistakes at the wrong times.  I still feel those issues are correctible and that they can fix them and will be okay.  I think we'll see less of Matt Jones now which should hopefully make the running game fumble issues go away.  It sucks we could easily be 5-2 right now, but I don't know, I just don't have that terrible feeling after a loss.  It's because I can see them getting better still.

2 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

How good could we be if we used more Rob Kelley and Chris Thompson?

I've been ranting about Matt Jones since week 1

its a lot more than just fumbles. I think he lacks vision and runs too high. But what do we know, apparently nothing

The problem with a thread like this is....that is exactly the team we are right now.  Turnovers have been a consistent issue this season. I believe they are -2 on the season?

I mean look at the Browns game, I am sure the Browns fans could have created the same thread.

Every team will have one of "those" games, but for the 'Skins it has been a problem in almost every game.

45 minutes ago, youngchew said:

Two mistakes have kept us from being in a completely different position.  Without Kirk's bonehead INT in the endzone vs Dallas and Jones' goal line fumble yesterday....we're 6-1 :( 

Just saying... That's a dangerous game to play. We got the touchback gift against the Ravens and Eli threw a pick in a game winning drive, something he never does

i think the only game I've seen this year which felt like a solid win was the Eagles game... And even that was in doubt

It goes both ways. The Skins have also won games because the other team makes bonehead plays. Eli threw two horrible picks late in the game. The Ravens had their kicker throw a deep ball as opposed to taking 3 points. Eagles had something like 13 penalties. 

What's the moral of the story? The league has a lot of parity and mistakes lose games. 

23 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

How good could we be if we used more Rob Kelley and Chris Thompson?

A lot better.  Thompson is Jones, but without the threat of fumbling and with the explosion to make plays out of the backfield.  Kelley is in the same mold of Alfred Morris who can get the hard yards and won't go down.  Seriously, I think Gruden needs to let go of his ego and make Kelley and Thompson his 1-2 punch at RB.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Could have, Would Have Should have......the story of this team for some time now.  I would say the difference is that outside the turnovers and sloppy play, this team does look to be the best it has been since Gibbs 2.0's playoff teams. 

I don't buy this after one tough loss, we could have and should have beat the Giants and Ravens in nip and tuck games and we did.

38 minutes ago, purbeast said:

As much as it sucks that the Skins beat themselves yesterday, for some reason, I am not very upset about this loss or concerned about the team after it.  They moved the ball and only punted twice.  They simply made some critical mistakes at the wrong times.  I still feel those issues are correctible and that they can fix them and will be okay.  I think we'll see less of Matt Jones now which should hopefully make the running game fumble issues go away.  It sucks we could easily be 5-2 right now, but I don't know, I just don't have that terrible feeling after a loss.  It's because I can see them getting better still.

Agreed also because Cousins dare I say it is starting to find some of that 2015 down the stretch form.  We will bounce back from this. I am nervous about Trent's MRI though, keep everything crossed on that one.

13 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

I'm disappointed KC continues to make one dumb play per game.

What dumb play today? He got tripped on the handoff and had us in position to score at least 27 points if not for the fumble and missed fg.

However, I dont know how the Skins justify continually giving Jones the ball when Kelley just looks so much better. He is such a natural runner.

31 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

What dumb play today? He got tripped on the handoff and had us in position to score at least 27 points if not for the fumble and missed fg.

However, I dont know how the Skins justify continually giving Jones the ball when Kelley just looks so much better. He is such a natural runner.

Must be something to it. 

47 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

You don't hand that ball off, you tuck it and deal with the loss of yards.  He basically threw the ball into Matt Jones hands and Matt isn't too trust worthy.

Do you think it was smart to throw the ball into Matt Jones hands?

18 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

You don't hand that ball off, you tuck it and deal with the loss of yards.  He basically threw the ball into Matt Jones hands and Matt isn't too trust worthy.

Maybe, but I'm not gonna kill Cousins for that one. The majority of the blame goes to Jones with some on the C/OL for not holding up in protection. Its 3rd and 1, how does your C get driven that far back that quick?

8 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

Yeah that's not really on KC in my mind. If it was 2nd down maybe you eat it but he's just trying to get Jones the there. Even if KC eats it it's still gonna be Lions ball, maybe a 20-25 yard difference in field position. 

Archived