Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How good could we be without these game killing mistakes/turnovers?

Skinzorz

On 10/23/2016 at 7:21 PM, Skinzorz said:

Bih, I certainly hope not! Haha

I think we have a good team, but not a great team. If we limit mistakes against any team I think we can win.

We did come back today... we showed adversity. Stafford just went off on that last drive.

Its not like Stafford had much trouble "going off" our rush was non existent, our coverage was non existent, our defense was nonexistent on that drive. He had all day to throw but didn't need all day as his receivers were wide open. I mean come on, what did it take? 40 seconds to go 65 yards and score?

On 10/24/2016 at 8:18 AM, ddub52 said:

Is it weird that after Cousins scored the TD with a minute left I felt pretty confident we would hold them off and get the W? 

Unfortunately as I have been callused against this team after all these years my first thought was we left too much time on the clock.

On 10/24/2016 at 0:07 PM, PortisBetts said:

This is it. Matt Jones continues to fumble away his opportunities and should see less and less of the ball. I have never seen a 230lb back stutter step as much as he does. For the love of god, make a decision and run through it. Even when he is 1 on 1 with a 190lb dback, he is still trying to dance around him instead of going through him. We have another undrafted rookie who has such better vision it is unreal. It is like night and day watching Kelley run and then watching Matt Jones run. Jones runs in mud side to side, Kelley is just constantly moving forward.

Ryan Grant, when is this experiment over? Not only did he commit every folly you mentioned, but on top of that, he is nearly a dead give away that we are running the ball. Nearly every single time he is on the field, the defense knows what is coming. And when we actually decided to pass, he either drops it, lines up incorrectly, or has some other error. Completely 0 productivity from him.

another thing i notice that Jones does is that as soon as he is to hit the line he turns his back as he hits or gets hit

How many teams in the NFL can ask this same question?

I still believe this is a 10-6 football team.  That's not bad, but its more the just mental errors holding us back.  We're getting better, though, but right now we're good for about 1-2 critical mistakes a game.  Believe we're at a point we can either weather it or still be competitive, which is better then most seasons last 25 years.

14 hours ago, GoDeep81 said:

One of the final (and hardest) hurdles in becoming a consistent "good" team, is cleaning up the mental errors and stop shooting off your feet.. I don't know how some teams get over it, but coaching seems to usually come into play.. Good/great teams mimic their coaching.. For that reason, Im not all that convinced we'll be able to clear that final hurdle. I view Jay and Co being at, or close to, their ceiling unfortunately..

Once you have better depth across the board, its easier for coaches to sit guys who make mental mistakes and show them that their production can be replaced.  Were not there yet but were trending in the right direction

I was listening to sports radio the other day and one of the hosts brought up a very good point about the modern NFL.

The NFL is now an 8-8 kind of league.  A few teams will be very good, a few will be very bad, but for the most part the majority of teams play like a .500 team.  Some weeks they will break out of that funk and look great, but then the very next week they perform like a mediocre team.  This is the price you pay for parity.  The NFL wanted parity. They wanted a league where every year, most teams have a chance by the time December rolled around. 

Right now the 'Skins are the epitome of NFL parity.  Their regular season results often are a mix of very good and very bad, and although it might skew a little more in one direction than the other in some seasons, overall they are a shining example of what the modern NFL is.  

They aren't a good enough team to withstand turnovers every week.  (I suppose no team is really) However as of right now, they can't stop doing it at least a couple times a game it seems.  Fortunately for them, in games where they turn the ball over, the other team is also turning the ball over.  Which just furthers the point of the parity of the NFL.

Archived