Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The curious case of how we use DeSean Jackson

NoCalMike

Teams are playing extremely soft, especially on his side of the field. Which is why it's been fairly easy for us to take the underneath stuff and move the ball consistently all year. Same deal today, except we kept shooting ourselves in the foot once we got down to the redzone or in FG range. 

That bend but don't break D worked for the Lions because we did the one thing you can't do against it, turn the ball over late in the drive.

It'd be nice if DJax could get more involved, but we are trying. We're sending him on crossing routes off PA often enough, and it does get open here and there. But teams are not giving us the go route to him, and he's not someone who's going to work the middle. Guy gets hurt after almost every tackle. They're playing their safeties way off. And the one time a game they don't, Kirk has either overthrown him or he's dropped the ball, unfortunately. 

Basically, either we start feeding him the ball more on underneath stuff, be it curls, hooks, ins, drags, etc... and increasing the likelihood of losing him to injury, or just continue to move the ball like we have with him forcing teams to back off.  

Again, it's not an accident we've been able to kill teams with the underneath stuff. That is a function of utilizing him, whether we accept it or not.     

50 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Let me preface that by saying that I think Austin is a terrible NFL player and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as DJax. I think he could easily do more in those spots than Austin could

We try and use DJax like the Rams use Austin, he will get hurt. No question. Austin has a more compact build and his running style is better with regards to absorbing hits. DJax would get killed. Maybe there's an argument that the team is overly protective of him, but I believe it wouldn't be too "overly" even if that's proven to be the case.  

5 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Why would Garcon want to come back as well?

Garcon is a mercenary.  He goes where the money is good.

One of them will come back.  In the past I've picked DJax, but so far this year I'd target Garcon.

One play I'd really like us to try is that WR screen Philly use to run with Jackson.  Not the brand of screen play where you throw sideways immediately, it was the kind where the blockers get about 3-4 yards upfield first and then you throw it.  It was like a delayed/developing screen.  Jackson used to tear it up on those plays.

@SkinsPassion4LifeDespite TODAY's result... this team is moving in the right direction.  I know you beg and have been begging to differ but it doesn't add up.

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

One play I'd really like us to try is that WR screen Philly use to run with Jackson.  Not the brand of screen play where you throw sideways immediately, it was the kind where the blockers get about 3-4 yards upfield first and then you throw it.  It was like a delayed/developing screen.  Jackson used to tear it up on those plays.

Can you show a video? Cause that's ineligible man downfield as you describe it, though I know what you're talking about.

2 minutes ago, Bigmuss1 said:

The Pats can get Gronk the ball on more deep seam routes then we can with arguably one of the fastest men in the league.  

They also just ran the ball 3 times for over 40 yards... that kind of pulls the safety up doesn't it?

With Crowder, Reed, and Doctson fully healthy next year, I'd be okay with letting both Garcon and Jackson go. Use that money to get  top notch LG/C and to fix up the D. The passing game will take a hit but we'll be more consistent running the ball and actually be able to make stops late in games.

16 minutes ago, DC9 said:

@SkinsPassion4LifeDespite TODAY's result... this team is moving in the right direction.  I know you beg and have been begging to differ but it doesn't add up.

Can you show a video? Cause that's ineligible man downfield as you describe it, though I know what you're talking about.

I could be describing it wrong.  Maybe the O-lineman don't go "downfield" so much as the pass itself is delayed. Like the QB drops back as if he will be passing downfield and then the WR gets into position, I think the main difference is it always seemed like the pass was thrown way later into the play than a typical screen pass.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

I could be describing it wrong.  Maybe the O-lineman don't go "downfield" so much as the pass itself is delayed. Like the QB drops back as if he will be passing downfield and then the WR gets into position, I think the main difference is it always seemed like the pass was thrown way later into the play than a typical screen pass.

Maybe a middle screen?

Yeah I'm not sure that's in our playbook.

I don't think we've run one of those since Spurrier anyways

I have a couple of thoughts on this.  First, even when DJax gets space downfield Kirk can't hit him with the pass.  Kirk seems to really be struggling with deep throw accuracy this year and that takes DJax out of that part of his game.  Second, it seems when they do have him on something other than a go route it is not designed to maximize his ability to get YAC.  I don't know if that is lack of creativity or what. 

I am starting to think it would be okay if both Garcon and Jackson left, as long as we brought in one other wideout.  Kirk doesn't have a real rapport with either of them, he prefers Reed and Crowder.Jackson might have been hurt a bit more than they wanted to admit.

I mean Ryan Grant does not spend as much as on the field as he did this game in an ideal situation.  And the way Crowder has been returning punts means putting Blackmon back there instead of him makes no sense, unless they were being overly cautious

I have been thinking that Jackson wants to go back to the Eagles.

I do not see him staying with the Redskins.   Our offensive coordinator does not know how to use him properly.

Crowder is not afraid to go over the middle so if Jackson leaves we will still need a speedy receiver to replace Jackson.

The mistake I think some people make is thinking Jackson is just a speedy downfield guy.  He is a lot more then that, but he is also going to be at the mercy of how he is used within the offense. If he is mostly catching underneath routes with someone draped over him, it will take away his ability to turn on the jets in the open field.  

I don't mind him catching passes on shorter routes, but I'd like to see maybe more slants or seams or routes that allow the ball to get into his hands where he has at least a couple steps where he can work the field and try to make the first guy miss, because for a guy like him that is usually all it takes before he is off to the races.

28 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The mistake I think some people make is thinking Jackson is just a speedy downfield guy.  He is a lot more then that, but he is also going to be at the mercy of how he is used within the offense. If he is mostly catching underneath routes with someone draped over him, it will take away his ability to turn on the jets in the open field.  

I don't mind him catching passes on shorter routes, but I'd like to see maybe more slants or seams or routes that allow the ball to get into his hands where he has at least a couple steps where he can work the field and try to make the first guy miss, because for a guy like him that is usually all it takes before he is off to the races.

I think they were trying to get him in space but the D was covering him well. Their secondary played better than I have seen them play all year really. Several times they made open field tackles with the receiver running away that saved huge plays. We have getting those plays recently. Sometimes the other team plays well.

Having said that, there were just not enough shots down field to anyone. And the one or two they did take, Cousins missed the guy - badly. I love Kirk but he has to start hitting some of those plays. If people know they don't have to worry about defending deep they will be able to crowd the line more and make him throw everything underneath and in traffic. Hurts the run game too. Kirk has a good day overall, but just like several other games those couple of misses change the game.

That is not to bail out Jones. If he holds the ball we win, it's really that simple. He owns this loss. What's too bad is that he was just starting to hit his stride. He was starting to run with more confidence. After todays game he will go back to stutter stepping and not hitting holes hard enough. If he does, they have to make a change.

One positive out of this is that we got some 1st downs on the ground today - from all 3 RBs. Humor me. I am trying to find some kind of silver lining.

50 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I have been thinking that Jackson wants to go back to the Eagles.

I do not see him staying with the Redskins.   Our offensive coordinator does not know how to use him properly.

Crowder is not afraid to go over the middle so if Jackson leaves we will still need a speedy receiver to replace Jackson.

If Crowder continues going over the middle, at 5', what 6? We're gonna need someone to replace him as well.

Archived