Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The curious case of how we use DeSean Jackson

NoCalMike

Most of the time when we do throw to Jackson it's a short pass near the sideline and he runs out of bounds. Not many YAC this season. He also avoids contact because he usually gets hurt when he gets hit. Garçon disappears for too many games at. We really do not have a #1 WR playing right now. 

I actually like Gruden's offense.

I don't always agree with how it's run, but I like the offense.

DJax isn't a dude you build an offense around anymore. 

13 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

You guys act like you are surprised.  This guy is not even Santana Moss.  He's a one trick pony. 

Yep, but that one trick is outstanding.

2 hours ago, WilberMarshall said:

If you go to the Home games you will see DeJax running open or with a favorable matchup.  As a fan, I really don't mind if Kirk goes to DeJax and the DB makes a heck of a play.  But you got to go to your playmaker.  

Maybe it is a case of having many options.

Unless you are related to Jackson or own him in a fantasy league, I am struggling to see why it matters that Cousins isn't keying on him. I don't recall too many drives where throws to Garcon, Thompson, Crowder, or the TEs have cost us. We move the ball at will and only really stall when we commit penalties or drop the ball. 

Also, to the guy who suggested that McVay relinquish play-calling duties...wow. We are more consistently dynamic on offense than we have been in a very long time. We drive the ball on basically every team we face. We are doing this with an inexperienced group of RBs and a newly assembled OL. I am elated about the long-term outlook of a McVay offense in DC!

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Unless you are related to Jackson or own him in a fantasy league, I am struggling to see why it matters that Cousins isn't keying on him. I don't recall too many drives where throws to Garcon, Thompson, Crowder, or the TEs have cost us. We move the ball at will and only really stall when we commit penalties or drop the ball. 

Also, to the guy who suggested that McVay relinquish play-calling duties...wow. We are more consistently dynamic on offense than we have been in a very long time. We drive the ball on basically every team we face. We are doing this with an inexperienced group of RBs and a newly assembled OL. I am elated about the long-term outlook of a McVay offense in DC!

Not true I mean we've got a guy that can take the top of a defense. You hit one deep ball to Jackson or even just try a couple and that makes the defense play different.

There is no reason why this team doesn't score 21 plus points a game.

More talent than most teams in the NFL. Yet we have a hard time scoring points.

Good news is we don't have to worry about resigning Jackson,because we're not even using him. Even though he's under contract this year.

Could have fooled me. Can't even tell he's on he team for most the game.

5 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Rams give Tavon Austin pitches, screens, end arounds. Tons of goofy ****. We don't do anything like that. Dude is physically limited in terms of a route tree. You have to be creative.

In all honesty, this is a minor issue because the offense moves the ball. The real issue is that we mentally check out far too often and that's what causes you to only score 17 points on a poor defense 

Because everytime we give Djax the ball in space he seems satisfied with falling down after he catches it.

Crowder has been way more useful after the catch, and getting open. 

Don't understand people.

1 play for 75 yards and a TD isn't as good as a 10 play 75 yards and a TD?

The offense is rolling. Mistakes left point on the field today. Not "we don't force the ball to Djax"

Honestly, I'm never listening to "training camp reports" again. This year, supposedly Breelend had become so good Norman would be our #2 CB and Jackson was ready for a career year. SO far, they're maybe our two big disappointments on the season.

I agree we don't seem to be using Jackson in a way that maximizes his talents, but I'm not seeing anything from him that makes me think he's doing anything but aging normally.

Yeah it very well could be the case that Jackson is just hitting his decline. I thought he'd have a big year too, finally healthy and playing for one more contract, but it isn't happening. Now of course we don't know, we could be misusing him, or he's just not getting open downfield, or he is and Cousins isn't seeing him(we know he's overthrown him a few times).

Right now Crowder is our #1 WR and when Reed is healthy that's a hell of a 1-2 punch. If we can just get one big play from Jackson per game that's probably enough.

He's a great weapon when he is on but I don't see myself being a huge fan and I kind of hope he walks after the season.

Prime example is last week - guy ****es and complains about targets then drops one of Cousins most beautiful passes of the year for the TD.  Haven't forgotten about the playoff game either . . .

Getting back to the original point of the post though, are there better ways we could be utilizing Jackson in the offense? 

The way the Lions use Tate.

The way the Steelers use Brown.

Didnt we hear during camp that Jackson put on muscle and was stronger without losing any of his speed? I'd like to see some kind of effort to get the ball in his hands other than the 1-2 random deep shots per game.

I would not say we use D Jax wrong. We don't have another WR that can beat coverage deep so the safety is gonna always roll to D Jax side when he goes deep. I suppose we could be more aggressive but that will lead to more INT's. If Josh Doctson were healthy one of the two would be having a great year.

4 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Not true I mean we've got a guy that can take the top of a defense. You hit one deep ball to Jackson or even just try a couple and that makes the defense play different.

So because we're not taking deep shots a game for DJax you believe defense don't take it into account? Stop that. We're probably not doing it because they're preventing it and we've got better, easier, options to go for (ie: Reed, Crowder) that makes us moves the chains easily.

One thing not mentioned is the o-line.

Is Cousins comfortable enough in the pocket to scan the field more? Against the Lions it took awhile before we took a deep shot, and most everything was dink and dunk.

DJax still has good speed to him, and I'm sure defenses are doing things to slow him down, but there still needs to be shots taken downfield to loosen the defense. Right now Reed is the security blanket; without him this offense is forced to do other things outside of their normal gameplan. I'd like to see our WRs be more aggressive to the ball, not just let it fall into their hands. Crowder went up and made a beautiful catch; that's the type of player performance we need, the attitude needed.

But I agree, they are not being creative with DJax. If he does go somewhere else, he will be a force there, and we will see how we should have used him but it will be too late. He has too much talent and presence to throw away; McVay needs to open up the playbook a few more pages and give him the chance to live up to his 'playmaker' nickname.

10 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

There is no reason why this team doesn't score 21 plus points a game.

More talent than most teams in the NFL. Yet we have a hard time scoring points.

Good news is we don't have to worry about resigning Jackson,because we're not even using him. Even though he's under contract this year.

Could have fooled me. Can't even tell he's on he team for most the game.

Well, we do take shots to Jackson - we hit him for a 30-40 yard pass play just last week. Let's not act like the guys is invisible out there, he's been targeted more than any other player on our team through 7 weeks. 

The fact that we didn't score 21 points yesterday had nothing to do with Cousins not throwing a 50-yard pass in Jackson's direction. We turned the ball over twice in Detroit territory. Without those two fumbles, we score at least 23 points. 

If our offense was struggling, I would agree with you. But guys are open on every drop back. I'm not against using Jackson more...but it certainly isn't one of the top 5 or 6 things that we need to concern ourselves with right now. The offense works. We are racking up yards and making mistakes at critical times in the games we lose. That's not really something that a long pass attempt to Jackson would fix. 

DeSean is the same player he always was.

Kirk can't hit the deep ball this year. I for one don't expect to keep seeing it, exacerbating the worst part of his game right now.  This neutralizes DJax's thing he brings to the team, that no one else does. Kirk had one deep throw and again, overthrew it early in the game to Garcon.  Wipe the deep ball from the playbook, can't blame wind.... so he went 30 for 39 instead. 

The real story here is the emergence of Crowder.  An effort was made to get 11 touches in the 2nd half but Crowder is the man right now, followed by Davis. Garcon was near invisible too. Scot is well positioned to low ball.

6 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

DeSean is the same player he always was.

Kirk can't hit the deep ball this year. I for one don't expect to keep seeing it, exacerbating the worst part of his game right now.  This neutralizes DJax's thing he brings to the team, that no one else does. Kirk had one deep throw and again, overthrew it early in the game to Garcon.  Wipe the deep ball from the playbook, can't blame wind.... so he went 30 for 39 instead. 

The real story here is the emergence of Crowder.  An effort was made to get 11 touches in the 2nd half but Crowder is the man right now, followed by Davis. Garcon was near invisible too. Scot is well positioned to low ball.

Yeah, I'm fine with continuing to look deep if it's there. But in general, this offense is working fine and clicking. We move the chains and get ourselves into scoring position quite often. I'm not really sure we should be too concerned about how the passing game is working. When every game seems to come down to the final 5 minutes, there will be opportunities to nitpick. But overall I would say that our passing game is the primary reason we've had a shot in 6 of our 7 games (and won 4 of them). 

10 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Yeah, I'm fine with continuing to look deep if it's there. But in general, this offense is working fine and clicking...

Yep. Forcing the ball to WR's is just that.... forced. Is it best for our offense right now?

If Kirk is going through his progressions properly and doing well, how Jackson is used, is what it is. I do hope and expect McJay to start to counter what teams will inevitably do to counter Crowder.  Crowder... Crowder... DJax over the top FTW. Toss all the WR's a bone, and randomly feature them to start games, to keep DC's guessing. 

All my thoughts aside, I think DCs still look at our team and fear DJax going deep. They are not comforted by his 10yd average, and actually it probably makes them uncomfortable knowing a breakout game is due. 

11 on the field should make Crowders life a little easier, and Kirk's completion % a little higher. He is still helping our team.

Archived