Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The curious case of how we use DeSean Jackson

NoCalMike

7 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Getting back to the original point of the post though, are there better ways we could be utilizing Jackson in the offense? 

The way the Lions use Tate.

The way the Steelers use Brown.

Didnt we hear during camp that Jackson put on muscle and was stronger without losing any of his speed? I'd like to see some kind of effort to get the ball in his hands other than the 1-2 random deep shots per game.

The only thing I can think of is letting him be a returner or maybe run an end around or two... but again, that requires you running a play to set it up earlier in the game and is the NET result of the end around going to be worth burning two plays on Desean running the ball?

So I have 980 on this morning for a bit, and listening to Cooley talk about the offense.  He is stating watching them the one thing missing is the big plays, those 2-3 big plays downfield that put fear in a defense and change the way they have to scheme.  He said our grind it out style has plenty of merit and has it's place, but you contrast that with the Lions offense which for the most part was ineffective the entire day however on both their scoring drives it was the long downfield plays that set them up, by gaining huge chunks at once.

The 'Skins have the personnel to go downfield, but it seems like they aren't doing it.  They are conceding that third of the field letting the defenses know they aren't going there so it is allowing defenses to cheat up and play closer.

It seemed like we at least took shots earlier in the season despite not hitting them, but even the attempts at hitting someone for a HR pass has gone away.

He might be the best deep ball WR in the entire NFL. The issue is that there really isn't much outside of that. He runs essentially 3-4 routes. He has a go route, post, hook and sometimes a deep cross over the middle. 

He never has been able to win in traffic and I also think it's dumb with his frame to think he can start doing it now. 

IMO for what he'll cost he just can't be kept. Crowder is probably a bit more of a complete WR and does some of the same things well.

29 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Well forget about 2017, the question is what can he do for us now?  What should we be trying to do with him this season since whatever we are doing with him doesn't seem to be translating into very much production?

He keeps defenders honest. It should open things up underneath for Garcon, Davis/Reed and the running game. 

He's also one of those WRs who can impact a game without catching a ball. 

IMO you don't have to use DJax any more that you already are. If anything take this time to really find out what Crowder has and see if Garcon is needed over the middle.  

I'm not reading through all of this, but I come to make the point that there is no reason not to max protect 1-2 times a game and just chuck it deep to him. 

2 hours ago, DC9 said:

The only thing I can think of is letting him be a returner or maybe run an end around or two... but again, that requires you running a play to set it up earlier in the game and is the NET result of the end around going to be worth burning two plays on Desean running the ball?

How about a formation with Crowder to one side and Djax on the other, with a jailbreak screen going to whichever side looks better prior to the snap? 

Way too many weapons on this offense to have the type of plays currently being called. 

Anyone think running 3-5 plays a game where Jackson is actually in the slot running a seam route might work?  Giving the defense a different look possibly, something they aren't expecting.  Jackson is about the usual size you'd expect a slot WR to be, and certainly has more speed than Crowder.  You get a defense confused and Jackson could end up wide open down middle of field.

Cooley brought up the same point I have been bringing up: we simply don't run any or at least not enough intermediate down the seam plays. Everything is either super short rinky dink, or a deep shot 40 yards downfield go route. We need to start attacking the intermediate 15-25 yard areas, pick up easy chunk plays that every other team in the league can get regularly. We have the weapons to do it, including Jackson, and if D Jax breaks a tackle or makes a guy miss there its 6 points.

Its not just a Jackson issue, I feel like we're underutilizing all of our weapons. We're too focused on this west coast high % short passes and hope our guys make a million other guys miss. We have explosive athletes, use them. You don't run thoroughbreds like oxen.

19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Cooley brought up the same point I have been bringing up: we simply don't run any or at least not enough intermediate down the seam plays. Everything is either super short rinky dink, or a deep shot 40 yards downfield go route. We need to start attacking the intermediate 15-25 yard areas, pick up easy chunk plays that every other team in the league can get regularly. We have the weapons to do it, including Jackson, and if D Jax breaks a tackle or makes a guy miss there its 6 points.

Its not just a Jackson issue, I feel like we're underutilizing all of our weapons. We're too focused on this west coast high % short passes and hope our guys make a million other guys miss. We have explosive athletes, use them. You don't run thoroughbreds like oxen.

I think that many of the plays have multi level patterns being run at the same time, but Kirk sees that short read is open and gets the ball out quickly, so you rarely see the 2nd and 3rd routes in the play progression. 

I'd also say unless it's a hook or a bubble screen Jackson will be the guy taking the coverage away from the quick ball. 

17 hours ago, Aireskoi said:

Put D'Jax in the slot and we'll find out.  

Therein lies the problem. You put DJax in the slot, you take Crowder off the field. Do we really want to do that? 

Crowder's emergence has taken away from DJax being used there, and I don't think that's a bad thing. 

We went to him on underneath stuff a lot against the Steelers. I think they're just worried he'll get hurt. I mean, the dude gets up after almost every tackle slowly. He's got his shoulder deal again. 

They're protecting him. It's that simple. 

14 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

They are conceding that third of the field letting the defenses know they aren't going there so it is allowing defenses to cheat up and play closer.

That doesn't sound right to me. I'd like to see this verified. All I'm seeing are defense's playing extremely soft against us for the most part. Even when they show blitz (especially on the A Gap), they back off... but I'm not seeing extra defenders in the box. 

I could be wrong, but I definitely haven't got the sense that teams are cheating with extra guys in the box. 

Why put Desean in the slot when his BIGGEST attribute is his ability to flat-out break away from a defender off the line and blow by him. There have been SO many times that he's been open and in the clear downfield where Cousins has missed him or just didn't throw to him. 

Desean may be a baby when it comes to not getting the ball but come on, he's not the only one that benefits from 60 yard TD completions. 

He'll probably walk after this season and I don't blame him. We are completely wasting his talents here. Our offense is SUPPOSED to be about deception and confusion and spreading the ball and discombobulating defenses yet it's ridiculous how predictable it is. 

Why are we going to use him more? I don't get it.

Week 1 - 6 for 8, 2nd in team targets
Week 2 - 3 for 5, Tied for 3rd in team targets - This was the Josh Doctson game
Week 3 - 5 for 6, 2nd in team targets
Week 4 - 1 for 1, 3rd in team targets
Week 5 - 3 for 5, 2nd in team targets
Week 6 - 4 for 8, 2nd in team targets

So he wasn't used at all in Week 4, but the games when he had his season highs in targets we ended up losing those games.

We have only had one single game where any WR or TE for that matter got more then 10 targets all season. We don't run an offense imo where you want to target one of these guys that much. We have to spread the football around.

Now Deseans ADOT (Average Depth of Target) so far this year is down from 16.9 last year to this years 14.5 which is still very high for a WR in this league (Julio Jones, Will Fuller, Mike Evans, John Brown, and Michael Floyd are the only WR's with higher ADOT's and as many targets if not more targets then Desean).

Point being he's being used plenty and doing well with his chances. Why would we change and give him even more targets? We want to be a balanced team

DeSean is DeSean, little has changed there besides him adding a pounds. 

The biggest issue is that Kirk cannot hit the deep ball this year. They are consistently overthrown, Doctson's moment of fame aside.

I think this is Kirk trying to avoid INTs. I am convinced an under thrown ball will result in a PI long before an INT, as the scrambling DB in panic mode is easily abused. Predictably, McVay is going to stop dialing it. Maybe we can try a trick play and have someone else toss one this week. For he will underthrow it. 

We are surviving without the deep ball but our offense is not explosive, more methodical. 

Archived