Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The curious case of how we use DeSean Jackson

NoCalMike

At seven games into the season it's becoming apparent that defenses simply aren't going to allow Jackson to beat them deep outside of a rare busted coverage. Currently Jackson seems to get his 1-2 sideline out pattern catches but besides that is relatively quiet.

So what do you do with a WR that is obviously a weapon with the ball in his hands, but isn't getting the ball in his hands very much?  For starters, did everyone see how Detroit was using Golden Tate today?  He was running all sorts of short routes, screens, reverses....the Lions were making a direct effort to put the ball in his hands and let him make a play.

I know Jackson is not that same 23 year old lightning bolt anymore, but last I checked, his speed and acceleration is still electric. He outruns defenders.  Now for this specific game I understand he might have been too banged up and he could have been out there as mostly a decoy.  However going forward the scheme on offense needs to start making an effort to give him touches on that ball.  You simply can't allow a defense to take such a big weapon out of the game.  Maybe the coaches feel he will take too many hits and get too banged up running those kinds of plays?  I am not sure, but I am baffled at how Jackson has basically turned into Aldrick Robinson.

I don't understand why we don't run more seam/post type routes down the middle with him. It seems like his routes are either straight go routes or some rinky dink short crap that never gets YAC. Use Reed/Davis to clear out the LB junk underneath and let Jax make a move on the CB over the top down the middle.

In general our offense doesn't use the deep middle third of the field very much. That's where you get the regular big chunk plays. Its either sideline or dink and dunk middle. When we were actually moving the ball and scoring TDs it was with Crowder and Davis being used more down the middle.

Golden Tate is a far more physical receiver than Jackson.  I think there is a legitimate concern that using Jackson in ways that runs him into a group of defenders would get him injured.  I don't think Jackson wants any part of that either, he avoids contact.  We use Crowder the way Detroit uses Tate.  He's only 5-8 but he doesn't play like a small player and seems to deal with the physical side of football well.  

1 minute ago, Destino said:

Golden Tate is a far more physical receiver than Jackson.  I think there is a legitimate concern that using Jackson in ways that runs him into a group of defenders would get him injured.  We use Crowder the way Detroit uses Tate.  He's only 5-8 but he doesn't play like a small player and seems to deal with the physical side of football well.  

There are ways of creating space though, we just don't do it. Gruden likes playing all the bunch formations.

Again, coaching. Some really questionable things about the top end of this staff. That being said, I doubt Jackson is in our long term plans. I think they will try to re-sign Garçon for a reasonable rate and let Jackson walk. By this time next year, Jackson will be leading New England to another division title.

Just now, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

literally every other team finds ways to get their guys the ball.

We don't. It's ****ing weird.

I'm not happy just getting him the ball. I want to get him the ball in situations where he can make plays to score and win games. Just throwing it to him 10 times on 5 yard underneath dinkers doesn't do it for me, they'll give us that everytime.

He's a porsche. Don't use him like a ford pickup.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There are ways of creating space though, we just don't do it. Gruden likes playing all the bunch formations.

I agree, but perhaps they think is that Crowder is better in that role. 

Jackson is a weird receiver.  He is an absolutely elite threat... but I don't know if i see him as a guy that is so good otherwise that we just have to find ways to get him the ball.  

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

I'm inclined to think that DeSean was less than 100% with a shoulder.  Mostly decoy stuff for him today.

That was my thinking, too.

I have a feeling that they were using him to take the top off the defense, but didn't want to really go to him much because of his injured shoulder.

Why even have him out there if you aren't going to use him as a legitimate decoy? Defenses don't even anticipate under the assumption they're going to take a shot at him once or twice deep. Especially with how well we moved the ball, it wouldn't have hurt to take a downfield shot once per drive.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I'm not happy just getting him the ball. I want to get him the ball in situations where he can make plays to score and win games. Just throwing it to him 10 times on 5 yard underneath dinkers doesn't do it for me, they'll give us that everytime.

He's a porsche. Don't use him like a ford pickup.

Rams give Tavon Austin pitches, screens, end arounds. Tons of goofy ****. We don't do anything like that. Dude is physically limited in terms of a route tree. You have to be creative.

In all honesty, this is a minor issue because the offense moves the ball. The real issue is that we mentally check out far too often and that's what causes you to only score 17 points on a poor defense 

5 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Rams give Tavon Austin pitches, screens, end arounds. Tons of goofy ****. We don't do anything like that. Dude is physically limited in terms of a route tree. You have to be creative.

In all honesty, this is a minor issue because the offense moves the ball. The real issue is that we mentally check out far too often and that's what causes you to only score 17 points on a poor defense 

I know woulda shoulda coulda doesn't mean squat, but as far as I'm concerned we put up 27 on this defense if it weren't for brain farts.

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I know woulda shoulda coulda doesn't mean squat, but as far as I'm concerned we put up 27 on this defense if it weren't for brain farts.

exactly my point.

No reason why we didn't score more. We just seem to have either Kirk or Matt Jones **** something up depending on the week. If we could just be fundamentally sound, we would be an elite offense. It's frustrating. 

6 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

But what exactly does that amount to for Austin and the Rams? Today he had 10 catches sure....for 57 yards. That's basically a bunch of nothing plays in today's NFL, the D will happily give you that(as evidenced by the fact that the Rams only had 10 points).

Jackson is a racehorse. We have to scheme up ways to get him open downfield where he can really do damage. Hes like that guy in baseball who might only go 1 for 5 but that 1 is a homer. That guy doesn't do you any good hitting singles.

12 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

exactly my point.

No reason why we didn't score more. We just seem to have either Kirk or Matt Jones **** something up depending on the week. If we could just be fundamentally sound, we would be an elite offense. It's frustrating. 

Well i've been one of Cousins' harder critics but those 10 points we didn't score were not on Cousins in any way.

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

But what exactly does that amount to for Austin and the Rams? Today he had 10 catches sure....for 57 yards. That's basically a bunch of nothing plays in today's NFL, the D will happily give you that(as evidenced by the fact that the Rams only had 10 points).

Jackson is a racehorse. We have to scheme up ways to get him open downfield where he can really do damage. Hes like that guy in baseball who might only go 1 for 5 but that 1 is a homer. That guy doesn't do you any good hitting singles.

Let me preface that by saying that I think Austin is a terrible NFL player and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as DJax. I think he could easily do more in those spots than Austin could

8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Well i've been one of Cousins' harder critics but those 10 points we didn't score were not on Cousins in any way.

I know.

I was talking about the season as a whole. Today, I was fine with Kirk. 

39 minutes ago, Destino said:

Golden Tate is a far more physical receiver than Jackson.  I think there is a legitimate concern that using Jackson in ways that runs him into a group of defenders would get him injured.  I don't think Jackson wants any part of that either, he avoids contact.  We use Crowder the way Detroit uses Tate.  He's only 5-8 but he doesn't play like a small player and seems to deal with the physical side of football well.  

Well today, Crowder was doing Reed's job.

37 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

literally every other team finds ways to get their guys the ball.

We don't. It's ****ing weird.

We're getting our guys the ball.

I don't get the complain. We're not using Jackson enough?

Our main receiving target is Reed. Crowder was doing his stuff today (kudos to the kid, really stepped up). Jackson is part of the turnover regarding WR as Garcon (pretty quiet today, but reliable more often than not). And share some of this with Davis. Jackson got 5 receptions today.

But you just can't use the guy only on go routes. That would be stupid. And if I read some of us around here, we should only throw the deep ball to DJax all day long. Why we are even playing guys like Crowder and Reed or Davis is disturbing...

Guys we moved the ball at will today.  You can't fumble on the one yard line like Jones did by loosing the ball.  Cousins had 301 yards with 30 completions and that is after Crowder dropped a 30 yard pass and Davis catch for 22 had to be called back because of a stupid ass penalty.  DJax is paid a lot of money to play on this team and he should STFU and play, not wind and **** about it.  

To clarify too, I still remember Jackson as an Eagle.  The guy was all over the field.  The defense literally had to shift and audible depending on where Jackson lined up.  The defense couldn't just settle for putting a safety over the top because Jackson was a threat regardless of the routes he was running. 

I also agree with whoever said in response that our offense seems 100% about finding the favorable match up. Almost to a fault, it seems like Cousins sees pre-snap where he wants to go with the ball and looks to go there unless he can't.  They don't seem to draw up plays very much if at all, however that isn't something that couldn't change, right?  It's not like I am suggesting Jackson have the ball in his hands 20 times like a running back, however if after a quarter or so you see the defense continually shadowing those deep routes against Jackson then why not change up what you are doing with Jackson to get the ball in his hands.

Again, there are ways to make getting the ball into his hands 5-7 times a game a priority.  It doesn't have to be all passes downfield. In fact I'd argue that if Jackson gets big yards on a screen or crossing route, it end up opening up the chances on hitting the big stuff downfield later in the game.

Maybe, it's time for McVay to relinquish his play calling duties. We have too many weapons on offense to not use them all. Not just DJax, but Garcon too. If we are going to be a passing offense, spread it around some. Kirk seems to keep his eyes focused on one guy a lot. I agree DJax needs to get more plays drawn up for him. We seem to be wasting his time. Don't think he will re-sign with us. 

1 hour ago, Destino said:

And Golden Tate was a RB in high school and his freshman year at Notre Dame.  He can take the contact.

1 hour ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

It's pathetic...why would he want to come back here?

Does Scot have him back?

Or does Bruce over rule him?

See what I did there?  It's a paradox...

Archived