Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rawstory: Dash cam video shows unarmed black man with hands in air before Tulsa police shoot him dead

No Excuses

it ruins your narrative (and any credibility) if you try to pick off whatever lowhanging tangential fruit there is (particularly if it also includes happily leaping into the narrative script that is being pushed by really really bad people in "comments sections" everywhere)

stick to the police violence question (are the police too violent? and if so... is it an evil?  or a regrettable function of the terrifying work that they do, but perhaps something that can be improved if not altogether eliminated).    and add to that an undercurrent of whatever it is that the police are doing (evil or unfortunate yet unavoidable) it is happening to black pople more often than white people.

if your argument boils down to stupid snarky comments... you aren't going to win any awards here.

Interesting article regarding Charlotte and race relations, etc:

Excerpt from article:

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/the-charlotte-fallout/

The worst places to live for social mobility are the South, and Appalachia. See this map based on Chetty’s findings.  In a subsequent paper, Chetty and a colleague found that this is actually a neighborhood-by-neighborhood thing, and that the longer a child lives in a bad neighborhood, the less his chances are of ultimately escaping poverty. This suggests that to be socialized in a bad neighborhood — that is, to absorb its culture — is a key factor in predicting adulthood poverty. In other words, a neighborhood where young men lionize and absorb the values of Boozie BadAzz is not a neighborhood likely to produce anything but poverty.

Here are some other key points from the Chetty paper:

Places with large black populations have less social mobility — but this is also true for whites in those places. Why? Because, they say, “areas with a larger black population exhibit greater income segregation.” The problem could be more a matter of class than race. Poor people of all races are more likely to live in ghetto-like conditions in these places, separated from the middle and upper classes. And, when Chetty et al. weighted for the other factors, race faded as an explanation. That is to say, poor white children born into single-parent households and who grow up in dysfunctional neighborhoods/societies, and go to lousy schools, are just as trapped in poverty as poor black children. It’s the Hillbilly Elegy story. 

The nature of local industry probably matters. That is, are there plenty jobs that make it possible for poor people with less education to rise? In Charlotte, the main (but not sole) economic dynamo is banking. The loss of an industrial base in the US, and with it a gateway to the middle class for the proletariat both black and white, plays a role.

The worst thing you can do for your child is raise him without a father. The researchers write, “The fraction of children living in single parent households is the single strongest correlate of upward income mobility of all the variables we explored.” I can’t find statistics for the number of single-parent households in Charlotte, but the most recent available stats from the US Census show that 35 percent of Charlotte is black.  Nationally, 66 percentof black children are born into single-parent households (versus 25 percent of non-Hispanic whites). This suggests that at least 20 percent of the children born in Charlotte are to black single mothers. With whites at 50 percent of the overall Charlotte population and 25 percent of the single-parent child rate, that adds roughly another 12 percent to the fatherless child rate in the city. Latinos are 13 percent of the Charlotte population, and 42 percent of Latinos nationally are born to single mothers, adding 5 percent or so to the single-parenthood birth rate in Charlotte. No doubt the actual stats are somewhat different, but if this is generally in the ballpark, that means more than one in three children born in Charlotte come into the world with the greatest possible strike against them in terms of upward mobility. And this is a problem that affects the black community more than any other. It’s not even close.

Social capital matters. Chetty et al. write, “Religiosity is very strongly positively correlated with upward mobility, while crime rates are negatively correlated with mobility.” I don’t know anything about churchgoing among Charlotte’s black community. Crime is easier to track. According to the Charlotte Observerhomicides are spiking in the city this year. 

More at link...

25 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

Why can't they release the video? I heard on the radio they can't "because there's an ongoing investigation".. So what?

Well, because there's a law...well, it really isn't a law just yet...but it's a law...that white guy in the Governor's mansion told me so!

You can get those Jordan Wiz jerseys for $2 at the Value Village here...want one?

And into Charlotte comes Colin Kaepernick with the 49ers to play the Panthers.

Come on, kid. Show us. Stand up and tell people to calm down and work n a more productive manner.
An opportunity is there to take a leadership role in a situation that you have attempted change through protest.

Show us. Frankly, i'd like to see it.

~Bang

1 minute ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Not releasing the video is a bad idea.  Tonight is gonna be worse than last night.  More people will travel to Charlotte with bad intentions in mind.

We are really just one misstep (on either side) away from going nuclear.  Hopefully cooler heads will prevail.  

Man I hope you're wrong. Was up till after 2 this morning, hoping the mob that vandalized the NASCAR HOF didn't walk over the bridge, cause then they'd have been right on my doorstep. 

1 minute ago, Long n Left said:

Man I hope you're wrong. Was up till after 2 this morning, hoping the mob that vandalized the NASCAR HOF didn't walk over the bridge, cause then they'd have been right on my doorstep. 

I hope I'm wrong too, brother.  Hopefully the presence of the National Guard will make a difference.  But with the news coverage this is getting, I fear the worst.

Stay safe out there.

18 minutes ago, brandymac27 said:

That is to say, poor white children born into single-parent households and who grow up in dysfunctional neighborhoods/societies, and go to lousy schools, are just as trapped in poverty as poor black children. It’s the Hillbilly Elegy story. 

The loss of an industrial base in the US, and with it a gateway to the middle class for the proletariat both black and white, plays a role.

The worst thing you can do for your child is raise him without a father.

Social capital matters.

gee, who would have thought?

it's almost as if this is a class/socioeconomic issue more than a race issue...

no, can't be!

Bang's post made me think of people on my FB timeline. First, Colin kneels during the national anthem and everyone is outraged! Now, people are rioting and looting stores, and the same people condemning him for kneeling (on my FB timeline) are calling for all the rioters to be shot because they're being violent. They say that it's ok to peacefully protest (which Colin was doing by kneeling), but not ok to riot (which is understandable IMO).

My point is that they're hypocrites. They were calling for CK's head on a platter because he kneeled during the anthem, but now they're saying it's PERFECTLY fine to peacefully protest! You can't have it BOTH ways. It boils down to people being bigots. No matter what some people of a certain race do, there will always be a group of people who have problems with it just because they're racist pigs.

What's pathetic is there are folks who are reveling at the fact that it was a black officer who did the shooting and that Charlotte has a black chief of police (like it matters.)  All this does is help shape their warped and off-base narratives even more, all while losing sight on the person who lost their life.  It's like that's secondary to the gloating, false narratives, covert/passive aggressive racism, etc. Some of yall have shown yourselves. 

2 minutes ago, brandymac27 said:

My point is that they're hypocrites. They were calling for CK's head on a platter because he kneeled during the anthem, but now they're saying it's PERFECTLY fine to peacefully protest! You can't have it BOTH ways.

Yes you can.

One has to do with the flag/anthem and what many people believe it stands for, not peaceful protest.

The other has to do with peaceful protest vs rioting/violence/etc.

I'm not saying you have to agree with them, but it is a little different. I think the people that get so angry at CK are a little overly-patriotic, personally, but I understand. Especially people who have been deployed, or where injured while deployed, or have close family/friends that were killed while deployed.

9 minutes ago, tshile said:

gee, who would have thought?

it's almost as if this is a class/socioeconomic issue more than a race issue...

no, can't be!

It's always been mainly a class issue. Problem is that black people are disproportionately poor because of centuries of racism in America that persists in our society today. So race still plays a huge factor, both directly through individual instances of racism and more importantly indirectly through the societal racism that has resulted in the inequalities the black community is faced with.

5 minutes ago, brandymac27 said:

Bang's post made me think of people on my FB timeline. First, Colin kneels during the national anthem and everyone is outraged! Now, people are rioting and looting stores, and the same people condemning him for kneeling (on my FB timeline) are calling for all the rioters to be shot because they're being violent. They say that it's ok to peacefully protest (which Colin was doing by kneeling), but not ok to riot (which is understandable IMO).

My point is that they're hypocrites. They were calling for CK's head on a platter because he kneeled during the anthem, but now they're saying it's PERFECTLY fine to peacefully protest! You can't have it BOTH ways. It boils down to people being bigots. No matter what some people of a certain race do, there will always be a group of people who have problems with it just because they're racist pigs.

Sounds like a little cleaning up of your FB timeline is in order.  Personally, I have no problem unfollowing those who persist in posting/share stupid thoughts. 

Just now, skinsfan_1215 said:

It's always been a class issue. Problem is that black people are disproportionately poor because of centuries of racism in America that persists in our society today. So race still plays a huge factor.

making this a 'race relations' issue is just prolonging any chance of making things better.

16 minutes ago, brandymac27 said:

They were calling for CK's head on a platter because he kneeled during the anthem, but now they're saying it's PERFECTLY fine to peacefully protest! You can't have it BOTH ways. 

:cheers:

Kap protests peacefully by taking a knee, people are outraged.  Angry rioters set **** on fire and break windows, "why can't they protest peacefully?!"

U1PHT7H.gif

7 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

What's pathetic is there are folks who are reveling at the fact that it was a black officer who did the shooting and that Charlotte has a black chief of police (like it matters.)  All this does is help shape their warped and off-base narratives even more, all while losing sight on the person who lost their life.  It's like that's secondary to the gloating, false narratives, covert/passive aggressive racism, etc. Some of yall have shown yourselves. 

why do I get the feeling my Daniel Carver post missed the mark.....

artest, you should understand that my post (assuming its mine we're talking about) was sarcasm, most importantly, in response to Scotts brother saying white people are devils.

ironic, black cop, black police chief....that kind of thing.

1 minute ago, tshile said:

making this a 'race relations' issue is just prolonging any chance of making things better.

I actually expanded more on my point via edit but it's still a race relations issue to a large degree. Hell just read the DOJ report on Baltimore. I just think the MAIN issue today is class and poverty, which incidentally don't get addressed by police reforms. 

Course when you're faced with poverty in your community with no quick fix available, and also with cops that seem to kill members of your community too often (something that SEEMS like it should have a quick fix), you can understand why it's easier to focus more on wanting to not get killed than it is to focus on things like social mobility.

5 minutes ago, youngchew said:

:cheers:

Kap protests peacefully by taking a knee, people are outraged.  Angry rioters set **** on fire and break windows, "why can't they protest peacefully?!"

U1PHT7H.gif

16 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

realize something, most of the people doing that really dont care about police violence against minorities. Last thing on their minds.

That's why they run in saying "socioeconomic status matters most" while ignoring that minorities make up the poorer end of that spectrum. They do not care and will never care. You can't talk to them.

17 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yes you can.

One has to do with the flag/anthem and what many people believe it stands for, not peaceful protest.

The other has to do with peaceful protest vs rioting/violence/etc.

I'm not saying you have to agree with them, but it is a little different. I think the people that get so angry at CK are a little overly-patriotic, personally, but I understand. Especially people who have been deployed, or where injured while deployed, or have close family/friends that were killed while deployed.

The problem is that those same people who were chastising him for kneeling turned his peaceful protest into a race issue BEFORE the Tulsa OR Charlotte incidents occurred. For them, it was always about race. The kneeling during the anthem outrage was their attempt to throw some passive aggressive racism at CK.

Archived