Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GAME DAY THREAD - cow****ers at REDSKINS

TK

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yes. we are just a bad team. I think last year winning the division was nice. But we beat NOBODY to win it. This is the same team as last year. We lost to a great team in the Steelers and  our arch rival. It is what it is. And that is we are a mediocre team at best.

Again, we've always struggled beating those nobodies in the past. So, I don't care... that was major progress to me and a sign we were moving towards becoming a consistently good team. And that was just one sign among many. This hurts as much as it does because it really is shocking and unexpected. Anyone claiming otherwise is lying to themselves. 

I kinda expected something like this; a big play in the 4th qtr costs us the game, as usual with Dallas, at least early season-wise.

It would not surprise me to see us beating them on turkey day in Dallas; its how it works.

What bugs me is the amount of talent we have receiving-wise, seriously, we have big play guys, but we're not making them. Yes, blame does go on KC, but not all of it. I say lock KC and every receiver on the team in a room, get them to communicate signals to each other, and when practicing, run deep routes all friggin day long, every day, and get them in sync with each other.

They do this and we'll be fine.

I don't even know what to say its so frustrating, its not that I expected us to be a superbowl team but the players and coaches continue to make dumb mistakes and now that KC has lost his accuracy I think we're pretty much ****ed.  I wouldn't have predicted us to be playing so undisciplined and while I didn't think KC would have as good of a year as he did last year I still thought he would be solid.

This sucks.

I think the most disappointing part is that the skill position players are delivering.  They are getting open.  In fact I can't remember the last time I saw so many guys get so wide open, yet were simply missed.  It doesn't take a Tom Brady or Big Ben in order to hit wide open WRs downfield when they have a clean pocket and all day to throw.  Hell, I don't even remember Cousins himself being this inaccurate throwing the ball downfield before. Right now the caliber of WRs/TEs on the field don't require Cousins to be a "difference maker" at the position, they simply require to wide open targets when they are.....wide open.  He is failing.

• So here are all of Matt Jones Carries:

•  

• 1st and 10 at WSH 25

• (9:17 - 1st) M.Jones left guard to WAS 31 for 6 yards (A.Hitchens, S.Lee)

• 1st and 10 at DAL 41

(8:21 - 1st) (No Huddle) M.Jones up the middle to DAL 38 for 3 yards (J.Crawford)

• 2nd and 7 at DAL 38

(7:49 - 1st) (Shotgun) M.Jones right tackle to DAL 38 for no gain (T.McClain; B.Church)

• 1st and 10 at DAL 37

(15:00 - 2nd) M.Jones right end to DAL 30 for 7 yards (M.Claiborne, B.Church)

• 1st and 10 at DAL 14

(13:08 - 2nd) Matt Jones 14 Yard Rush D.Hopkins extra point is GOOD, Center-N.Sundberg, Holder-T.Way.

• 1st and 15 at WSH 46

(2:56 - 2nd) M.Jones right tackle to WAS 48 for 2 yards (B.Jones)

• 1st and 10 at WSH 25

(15:00 - 3rd) M.Jones left tackle to WAS 29 for 4 yards (A.Gachkar)

• 2nd and 10 at DAL 23

(12:48 - 3rd) M.Jones right end to DAL 16 for 7 yards (S.Lee; J.Durant)

• 2nd and 4 at DAL 32

(5:03 - 3rd) M.Jones up the middle to DAL 25 for 7 yards (B.Church)

• 1st and 10 at DAL 15

(3:45 - 3rd) M.Jones right guard to DAL 10 for 5 yards (M.Collins; J.Crawford)

• 1st and Goal at DAL 9

(1:06 - 3rd) M.Jones right tackle to DAL 9 for no gain (J.Crawford, C.Thornton)

• 1st and 10 at DAL 22

(12:14 - 4th) M.Jones right end to DAL 19 for 3 yards (A.Hitchens)

• 1st and 10 at WSH 25

(4:45 - 4th) M.Jones left tackle to WAS 28 for 3 yards (M.Collins)

•  

So Matt Jones had 2 carries for no gains and not a single negative run play. The longest run was for 14 yards and the rest somewhere in between 2 and 7 yards. We gained yards on 85% of his carries. And yet we let him run the ball only 13 times while throwing 46 times. This game was close at every time so there was no need to throw that often. Kirk Cousins is no Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. I understand that our biggest strength is our receiving corps but it is simply ridiculous to not use the running game when it obviously works.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

I think the most disappointing part is that the skill position players are delivering.  They are getting open.  In fact I can't remember the last time I saw so many guys get so wide open, yet were simply missed.  It doesn't take a Tom Brady or Big Ben in order to hit wide open WRs downfield when they have a clean pocket and all day to throw.  Hell, I don't even remember Cousins himself being this inaccurate throwing the ball downfield before. Right now the caliber of WRs/TEs on the field don't require Cousins to be a "difference maker" at the position, they simply require to wide open targets when they are.....wide open.  He is failing.

I think he's getting impatient.  Just take what the D is giving you, draw them up, and then take a shot. 

Play selection is suspect, too.  Those 2 fades on back to back plays were ridiculous.  Had to be the ugliest fade passes I've ever seen.

Just now, campbellcooleyconnection said:

He looks like John  Friggin Beck out there!

He really does. It's atrocious. Don't understand what this staff is doing. Everyone on this team seems clueless. I've seen enough of Gruden at this point. I'm already wondering how many more consecutive losses it will take before a change is made. 

all this prognostication is really irritating.  It sucks we lost, but some of these claims seem really ridiculous to me.  Like Kirk has no guts(paraphrasing)  his INT was a gutsy play, it just failed., though

We do definitely have to find a run game

25 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Again, we've always struggled beating those nobodies in the past. So, I don't care... that was major progress to me and a sign we were moving towards becoming a consistently good team. And that was just one sign among many. This hurts as much as it does because it really is shocking and unexpected. Anyone claiming otherwise is lying to themselves. 

I expected us to win this game. I really did. But on the flip side I am not shocked we lost it. Scott still needs a couple of more years to build a consistent contender. What I was saying in my last post is that winning the division probably gave us all expectations that were probably too high. I still believe we ARE heading in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, Dheavy said:

He's played two crappy games already this year. Please stop making excuses for Kirk, he's not a starting QB in this league. don't expect to beat the good teams in this league with him starting.

making  a claim like that is pure nonsense.  Maybe he's not a franchise QB, but stop mistaking that for starting caliber

someone please implement a thumbs down button for this site

11 minutes ago, carex said:

all this prognostication is really irritating.  It sucks we lost, but some of these claims seem really ridiculous to me.  Like Kirk has no guts(paraphrasing)  his INT was a gutsy play, it just failed., though

Fine line between "gutsy" and "stupid", then lol...that INT was stupid. NEVER, EVER take points off the board late in a close game.

Just now, Califan007 said:

Fine line between "gutsy" and "stupid", then lol...that INT was stupid. NEVER, EVER take points off the board late in a close game.

yes, there is a very fine line, most of the time it's a matter of if the play works or not

4 minutes ago, carex said:

yes, there is a very fine line, most of the time it's a matter of if the play works or not

I would say most of the time it's a matter of the situation. For example, Romo has made a well-deserved rep for taking unecessary risks when the game situation did not call for it, and in fact called for a more pragmatic approach. He makes risky throws that are also stupid because there was no reason TO take that risk in that situation. He had little situational awareness during the game.

6 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I would say most of the time it's a matter of the situation. For example, Romo has made a well-deserved rep for taking unecessary risks when the game situation did not call for it, and in fact called for a more pragmatic approach. He makes risky throws that are also stupid because there was no reason TO take that risk in that situation. He had little situational awareness during the game.

Romo has his faults....but he is also a play maker in certain situations. He is almost the anti-Cousins.  Cousins is shaping up to be a poor-man's Alex Smith.  He seems to be able to look good when the flow and pace is just right, but is easily rattled and taken out of his "comfort zone"  Alex Smith is supposed to be someone else's "poor man" When you are poor man to Alex Smith......yikes.

I said this last year, even during Cousins's nice finish to the season, that I think Kirk is pretty good at taking what defenses give him, but I have yet to see the ability from him to change the DNA of the game, change the flow, flip the script etc etc......when he drops back to throw the play is either going to develop according to plan and Cousins will hit it, or it will fail because Cousins doesn't seem to have that next level ability of a top QB to rip the heart out of a defense just when they think they have the upper hand on the play.

Archived