Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per CNN: 25 injured in Manhattan explosion

Corcaigh

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/19/us/new-york-explosion-investigation/index.html

NY, NJ bombings: Suspect wounded, arrested after shootout; 2 officers hit

New York (CNN)[Breaking news update at 12:30 p.m.]

-- Ahmad Khan Rahami, the man suspected in bombings in New York and New Jersey, is now in custody after a shootout with police, sources said.
The shootout happened Monday in Linden, New Jersey. Rahami was shot and was taken to an ambulance in a stretcher with his right shoulder bloodied and bandaged.
-- Two officers were hit in the shootout with Rahami, the mayor of the nearby city of Elizabeth said. One officer's vest was struck, and the other was shot in the hand.
-- Investigators first identified Rahami Sunday afternoon, a senior law enforcement official told CNN Monday. They were able to identify him through a fingerprint, the official said. The cell phone on the pressure cooker device found at the 27th street location in Manhattan also provided some clues, the official added.

*Click Link for More*

They ID'd him through a fingerprint so I'm assuming he was on a watchlist. Explains why the FBI was able to narrow it down to him so quickly. I guess this one wasn't stupid enough to fall for the FBI agent posing as a jihadist trick. 

I expect that he was a lone wolf. If not, part a very small group (no more than 3). FBI, DHS, Intel community, etc have done a great job at making sure it's impossible for a larger group to plan an extensive attack on American soil.

The family of suspect Ahmad Khan Rahami  lives in Elizabeth, New Jersey above a restaurant they run called First American Fried Chicken. 

20liveblog-firstamerican-tmagArticle.jpg

This is the latest Google review for the restaurant:

"This place is The Bomb, Literally! The Pressure Cooker Fried Chicken is awesome- the breading just explodes with flavor!"

3 hours ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

How ****ed up is he? Anyone know? Because I saw some quote from a witness about him "still twitching" after getting shot. I hope he's alive. Really cuts down on the conspiracy bull****.

23db1d5d75b6e7ba4bab1d07ca98bc436d7fe4cc

Image result for Ahmad Khan Rahami

Image result for Ahmad Khan Rahami

Oh, he alive. Though I suspect he will have a rough life in prison...

This story is weird.  The guy was extremely careless in placing and detonating the devices.  He didn't seem to have a plan to hide as he was caught sleeping outside a bar.  But according to experts the bombs he built and the explosives he made are very difficult to make and likely required training and skill.  A meticulous bomb maker becomes a disinterested bomber?  It's possible certainly, but it seems strange.  

8 minutes ago, Destino said:

This story is weird.  The guy was extremely careless in placing and detonating the devices.  He didn't seem to have a plan to hide as he was caught sleeping outside a bar.  But according to experts the bombs he built and the explosives he made are very difficult to make and likely required training and skill.  A meticulous bomb maker becomes a disinterested bomber?  It's possible certainly, but it seems strange.  

Maybe he didn't make the bombs, he just planted them. 

(I really haven't followed the case, and I'm binge watching Person of Interest, so I'm just throwing out goofball responses, here.) 

5 minutes ago, Destino said:

I agree. From the jump, I thought some dickhead rookie, because everything just seemed horribly set up and carried out.

14 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Now I'm hearing the dad called the FBI and said (paraphrasing) that his soon was a terrorist. And the didn't do anything.  

Thanks Obama.

Being sarcastic.

Sorta.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fbi-opened-previous-inquiry-bombing-suspect-ahmad-khan/story?id=42201580

The FBI first became aware of Rahami in the summer of 2014, when local law enforcement contacted the agency's New Jersey field office about him, sources said.

A dispute at the Rahami home had brought local law enforcement to the house at that time. A neighbor told the authorities he overheard Rahami's father calling his son a "terrorist," according to a U.S. official. In addition, the neighbor said Rahami’s father had expressed concern his son may be in contact with people overseas who were collecting explosives, ABC news was told.

The FBI then opened a guardian file on Rahami, initiating a process to determine whether Rahami had any links to terrorism or other criminal activity and whether a more formal investigation was warranted.

The assessment of Rahami produced no clear evidence or indications of radicalization, and at one point his father recanted his claims, sources said. Rahami was not placed on any U.S. terrorism watch lists.

Speaking to reporters today outside of his New Jersey home, Rahami's father said he "called the FBI two years ago" about his son.

"I told them you got a connection with this guy," he said, without offering any further information.

The FBI interviewed Rahami’s father after New Jersey officials compiled complaints and sent them a suspicious activity report. He told the FBI that his son had traveled to Pakistan and was interacting with "bad people," according to sources. Rahami's father also told the FBI his son had injured and beaten members of his immediate family — but a grand jury declined to file charges against him.

However, Rahami's father later told the FBI he didn't mean to suggest his son was a terrorist, but that he was hanging out with "undesirables," the U.S. official said.

At a press conference Monday, the head of the FBI's field office in New York, Bill Sweeney, noted that the FBI had previously received "a report of a domestic incident," adding that "the allegations [were] recanted." However, Sweeney did not address terrorism-related allegations.

It’s unclear if the FBI or other law enforcement agencies interviewed Rahami in 2014.

As in most cases the FBI assesses after receiving suspicious activity reports, the FBI found no significant derogatory information in Rahami's case, sources told ABC News.

One source emphasized that only a single report came to authorities related to Rahami. Had more reports come in, authorities would have looked further at him, the source said, adding that the FBI does not have the resources to put every subject of a suspicious activity report under full-time surveillance.

"We should not be keeping people under surveillance indefinitely" when there is no solid reason, another U.S. official said, adding that doing so would violate Constitutional rights.

12 hours ago, Destino said:

I think Larry hit on it...

My understanding (from reading/documentaries, not in the military/intelligence/etc) is the bomb makers are kind of coveted and are not actually used for things because they don't want to lose them (capture or death.) So it'd seem weird if he made the bombs and planted them, so long as the bombs are actually sophisticated.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/21/nyregion/ahmad-khan-rahami-suspect.html?gwt=pay&mtrref=undefined&nlid=69180503&referer=

Ahmad Khan Rahami’s Father Gave Police Terrorism Tip in ’14, Officials Say

So he did exactly what the anti-Muslim crowd in this country screams about Muslims not doing. And not only did he do it, he did it to his own son. Ho hum.

3 hours ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

So he did exactly what the anti-Muslim crowd in this country screams about Muslims not doing. And not only did he do it, he did it to his own son. Ho hum.

It's tough. Is this guy truly "ideological"? Or is he one of these neo-terrorist groupies? They claim they are (or get claimed after the fact) but really they're just oissed and happen to tie it into being Muslim.

2 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

It's tough. Is this guy truly "ideological"? Or is he one of these neo-terrorist groupies? They claim they are (or get claimed after the fact) but really they're just oissed and happen to tie it into being Muslim.

Yeah, it can certainly be a grey area, telling the difference between "terrorist" and "guy who went postal, who was a little Muslim, too". 

Maybe one filter that could be used to separate the two, is whether an organization is involved. 

For example, I posited the theory that maybe somebody else (somebody deemed more valuable) may have made the bombs, and then he was simply the UPS guy who delivered them. 

(I will note that that's only one possible explanation for the claims that the bombs were sophisticated, but the tactics were dumb.  Another possible theory would be that he's just a dummy who got got bomb making instructions on the Internet.) 

But yeah, if the guy had a higher-up who did the skilled work for him, that would sure move him more towards the "terrorist" label, in my personal filing system. 

(I get the impression that, to a lot of people, the filter used to differentiate "terrorist" from "guy who went postal" is "has he ever been in a mosque?") 

21 minutes ago, visionary said:

Not really sure I agree with that. 

I think that we're trying real hard to take a statute that was designed to target people who use nuclear weapons, and apply it to people who use hand grenades. 

7 minutes ago, Larry said:

Not really sure I agree with that. 

I think that we're trying real hard to take a statute that was designed to target people who use nuclear weapons, and apply it to people who use hand grenades. 

I seem to recall some people traveling overseas to fight being charged with this (after they came back) because they used an R.P.G.

3 minutes ago, visionary said:

I seem to recall some people traveling overseas to fight being charged with this (after they came back) because they used an R.P.G.

I made a similar argument when I was living in OKC, at the time of the bombing, and the Feds announced that they wanted McVeigh to be the test case for their first-ever federal death penalty, for terrorism. 

My argument was that the difference between a murderer and a terrorist is that the latter has a political motive.  That, to convict McVeigh of being a terrorist, the prosecution is going to have to open the door to all kinds of discussions about Waco and Ruby Ridge and flags with fringes on it and who knows what all. 

And to note that, while the terrorist's act (killing people) can certainly be criminal, that his motive (wanting political change) is a constitutionally-protected right. 

I asserted that the right way for society to treat McVeigh, was to haul him into the county courthouse (which happens to be a few blocks from the building he blew up), and prosecute him for felony murder. 

Now, the prosecution doesn't care about his motives.  They don't even have to prove that he intended to kill anyone.  All they have to prove is that

1. He committed a felony
  2. People died

Haul him into the county courthouse, prosecute for felony murder.  It's a law, and a punishment, that's already been challenged to the Supreme Court.  (And upheld).  And if the defense wants to put McVeigh on the stand, and try to bring Waco and Ruby Ridge into the trial (and they think that the jury won;t view this as a confession?), they're welcome to do so. 

Archived