Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

34 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I don't have a 1st round grade on McCaffery, in fact I have him behind Mixon. Who will be there in the 2nd round. So no matter what, he is not BPA for me.

You'd better hurry up and email Bruce your board, or else there is a chance he might not follow it.

We can talk about other guys not loving football but as long as they are playing hard on the field IMO it doesn't matter.  It seems as if McDowell plays to this personality and apparently his interviews play to that personality, too.

Then you add what Cooley talked about (Brandt's assessment was the same about playing high) that he plays high with poor technique just about always and good O lineman in the NFL can push him out of plays accordingly and just seems to rely on his athleticism and doesn't play smart.   McDowell doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.  I agree he could surprise and be a beast but think you take risks like that further down the draft board not early.  IMO you don't go for a boom/bust type with your first pick.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state-university/2017/04/12/analyst-msus-mcdowell-has-ability-lacks-effort/100389678/

“One of the things when I’m watching defensive linemen, I always want them to be in the frame at the end of the play,” Jeremiah said. “If it’s a wide receiver screen, if it’s a toss, even if it’s a throw down the field you’re seeing guys break tackles. Malik McDowell drove me nuts because there are so many plays he doesn’t make his way into the picture frame at the end of the play. Just no effort.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2017/01/20/malik-mcdowell-nfl-draft/96825454/

NFL.com analyst Bucky Brooks wrote that McDowell is “one of the most polarizing prospects in the draft” because of his inconsistent effort and poor technique. NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah ranks McDowell the No. 39 prospect overall.

“He needed to really step up, and I thought he could have been one of the elite defensive players in this draft,” Kiper said. “As I said, his performance was underwhelming, so he’s kind of an underachiever now, and somebody’s going to roll the dice.”

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2017/2/22/14654088/malik-mcdowell-scouting-report-falcons-draft-2017

McDowell has also been knocked for disappearing at times during the season, and for his blatant lack of technique.

http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Bolt/NFL-team-says-Malik-McDowells-interview-was-combines-worst-51644947

Michigan State interior pass rusher Malik McDowell entered the NFL Combine as one of event's most polarizing prospects and exits as a player who didn't leave a great impression with several teams, according to Yahoo Sports.

“Worst interview we did," one NFL team told Yahoo Sports' Eric Edholm.

“Awful interview. Awful," another reportedly said.

McDowell shrugged off questions about his work ethic during interviews, saying it wasn't a problem.

“He might be the type who, maybe he falls (in the draft) and it lights a fire under him," one team told Yahoo Sports. "I don’t know. But I need that light on more often, and he didn’t like it when we asked him about that.”

http://spartanavenue.com/2016/10/20/michigan-state-football-nfl-scout-knocks-malik-mcdowell/

the scout claimed that McDowell takes too many plays off. Moreover, he claimed that the junior defensive lineman needs to play through the fatigue.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state-university/spartans/2016/12/08/msus-malik-mcdowell-dipping-nfl-draft-board/95151754/

Early indications are the 6-foot-6, 276-pounder is trending in the wrong direction after high ratings before the 2016 season began.

... he missed the final three games with an ankle injury and was in and out of games throughout the season with various injuries.

Those issues have raised questions...

“...you look at McDowell, I think technique work needs consistency, playing with a high motor every play. All those things.

Jon LedyardVerified account @LedyardNFLDraft

Malik McDowell going off script,saying coaches eventually conformed to his style bc they couldnt change/improve him

1 hour ago, fordranger76 said:

And this is the most damning quote about him I have seen yet. Sounds very Haynesworthish.

One of my favorite Maya Angelou quotes applies to this situation..."When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time"

I'm no expert on McDowell but what I read tells me this guy is going to drop on draft day. There looks to be a lot of negative hype around him. Mostly about his play on the field. Teams are going to take him on the secobd day because of the upside but don't see him go in the first round. He feels to much like a gamble. Arizona took the gamble on Robert Nkemdiche last year and even one of the NFL top motivational coaches could not get him to play to his ability.  

I am ok with the way you look at it. If you feel that McCaffery is not that great truthfully that is fine. My problem is those that totally ignore the fact that he just may be the pick at 17. Heck Fournette could be a bust. We have no idea. BUT I would not hate the pick. I am not a Cook guy myself but I would not hate the pick even though I don't like the guy. People need to be more optimistic about where we could go with that pick in the first and not get one sighted into whom we could select. But I do feel that RB is a need I really do. IMO I think we have one of the worst ground units in the league and I think its due to the back itself and not the line.

You can feel that way, but he numbers don't back it up.

I'd also like to say something about McCaffery as to one reason why I don't see him as a 3 down back (and thus, really not spending a 1st round pick on). Charley Casserly made a statement about backs that weight 200 pounds or less and how they do in the NFL. Basically, the numbers say that they are not big enough to hold up as a 3 down back. Guys like C.J. Spiller, Reggie Bush, ect. McCaffery is 5'11 and 200. By comparison, our tiny Chris Thompson is 5'8 and 195.

And isn't big enough to be an all down back.

Rob Kelley is not a great back, but he's decent. Sure, I'd like to upgrade it, but not for a guy that cannot be a full time RB, and IMO very overrated in the 1st round. To me that is a complete waste of a pick.

And this is the most damning quote about him I have seen yet. Sounds very Haynesworthish.

Yes it is.

I think the plan is to play McCaffrey "with" Phat Rob ... not to replace him.

They will tandem nicely a la the Freeman/Coleman duo at Atlanta.

Chris is so clean ... has such great versatility ... etc. ... if he is there you must pull the trigger.*

*Unless a trade-down offer to good to refuse arises at 17.  

Cooley's assessment of McCaffrey and Cook.  I heard more of the take of Cook.  I'd sum it by he loves both guys, loves McCaffrey a little more.

McCaffrey:  He talked about him in a segment I missed this morning so I only caught some spillover later on when he was talking about Cook.  He suspects Jay would be more of a McCaffrey guy and Callahan more of a Cook guy.  McCaffrey he thinks is a no brainer to take at #17 but he doesn't think he will be there.  Says runs routes as crisp as Jordan Reed.  He's a real patient runner who knows how to wait to find the right crease.  He compares him to Laveon Bell.

Cook:  He went against the grain on two things about Cook.  1.  He thinks he's overrated as a pass catcher.  He think he catches the ball too awkwardly at times, using his palms versus his fingers.  2.  He thinks he's underrated as a pass blocker.  He says as a pass blocker, he's fearless.  He throws his body into oncoming D lineman.  He plays with attitude and ferocity as a blocker that makes him fun to watch.    He sees him as more of a one cut and go runner.  If he gets a crease, watch out.  He has a great sense of finding the end zone.  He's hard to tackle, grabbing his legs is usually not enough, you really get to take him down, especially when running in open field.  The thing that jumps at Cooley the most watching him is his "toughness".  He plays tough with a ferocity about him.  He reminds him of Clinton Portis.  Ironic considering some of the discussion here we've had about Cook versus Portis.

He thinks Cook is likely more of a fit for what Callahan might want to do with the running game in that he can be a featured back, move the chains type as part of the package.  He thinks McCaffrey is likely more of a fit for Jay wants to do scheme wise -- he didn't elaborate why -- but presume it has something to do with his hands/passing game.  He compared the two like being able to pick from two hot girls in a bar, you can't go wrong either way.  He said he'd take Cook over McDowell then said he'd take him over Forrest Lamp.   He paused about whether he'd take him over Foster or Reddick when asked by Sheehan -- but he didn't answer it one way or another. 

I'm anti-RB-in-the-1st, but have come to terms with the fact that there's a decent possibility we'll take one if they fall. Fine. So, now the nightmare scenario would be that we trade up for one, especially if McCaffery is the one; 200 pounders simply can't survive as three down backs. 

I know a lot of us are holding out hope that we go non-RB in the 1st then grab Mixon in the 2nd (or later). My "I'm going out on a limb, but not really too far" prediction is that he goes in the 1st.

Best case scenario is that some defensive stud drops to us at 17. Next best would be that we find a trade partner to move back 5-10 spots, and pick up another 3rd rounder. I want as many day 2/3 picks as possible.

TJ Watt as an ILB, is this possible/probable? Aside from injury issues, he's ceilingless. Huge, fast, strong, leader- he'd be Urlacher with better pass-rushing skills.

In a 5-10 spot trade-down scenario he's on the wishlist with Cunningham, Lamp, Robinson, Brantley, Conley

Kiper posted his "Grade A" mock draft this morning: http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/insider/story/_/id/19185386/mel-kiper-jr-three-round-grade-mock-draft-2017-nfl-draft

I wouldn't know what to do with myself if we ended up with these 3 players by the end of the 3rd round.

Washington Redskins

Round 1 (17): Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State

Round 2 (49): Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State

Round 3 (81): Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn

Washington signed former Cardinals safety D.J. Swearinger to a low-risk deal this offseason, but it's far from settled at free safety in the long term. Hooker is the best center-field-type safety in this class. He had seven interceptions last season, including three pick-sixes, and made plays all over the field. He could drop a little because he started only one season and has some injury questions, but he has tremendous potential. Cook is another prospect who has dropped a little. He didn't have a great combine, and his shoulders are a concern. There's a chance he drops here because of how deep this running back class is. Robert Kelley and Matt Jones are decent, but neither is a home run threat like Cook, who had 38 rushing touchdowns the past two seasons. Adams, who would probably play nose guard, could be a second-round pick if a team rolls the dice on his talent. He must be more consistent.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cooley's assessment of McCaffrey and Cook.  I heard more of the take of Cook.  I'd sum it by he loves both guys, loves McCaffrey a little more.

McCaffrey:  He talked about him in a segment I missed this morning so I only caught some spillover later on when he was talking about Cook.  He suspects Jay would be more of a McCaffrey guy and Callahan more of a Cook guy.  McCaffrey he thinks is a no brainer to take at #17 but he doesn't think he will be there.  Says runs routes as crisp as Jordan Reed.  He's a real patient runner who knows how to wait to find the right crease.  He compares him to Laveon Bell.

Cook:  He went against the grain on two things about Cook.  1.  He thinks he's overrated as a pass catcher.  He think he catches the ball too awkwardly at times, using his palms versus his fingers.  2.  He thinks he's underrated as a pass blocker.  He says as a pass blocker, he's fearless.  He throws his body into oncoming D lineman.  He plays with attitude and ferocity as a blocker that makes him fun to watch.    He sees him as more of a one cut and go runner.  If he gets a crease, watch out.  He has a great sense of finding the end zone.  He's hard to tackle, grabbing his legs is usually not enough, you really get to take him down, especially when running in open field.  The thing that jumps at Cooley the most watching him is his "toughness".  He plays tough with a ferocity about him.  He reminds him of Clinton Portis.  Ironic considering some of the discussion here we've had about Cook versus Portis.

He thinks Cook is likely more of a fit for what Callahan might want to do with the running game in that he can be a featured back, move the chains type as part of the package.  He thinks McCaffrey is likely more of a fit for Jay wants to do scheme wise -- he didn't elaborate why -- but presume it has something to do with his hands/passing game.  He compared the two like being able to pick from two hot girls in a bar, you can't go wrong either way.  He said he'd take Cook over McDowell then said he'd take him over Forrest Lamp.   He paused about whether he'd take him over Foster or Reddick when asked by Sheehan -- but he didn't answer it one way or another. 

Funny he said Portis as his comp.  I have that written down on my big board as my comp for Cook...aside from fumbles, & pass catching...but Portis loved to clean clocks in pass blocking

1 hour ago, 3 Rings said:

I kinda wanted Mixon.  I was on the fence.  This is a video of an interview with a girl who claims Mixon knocked her unconscious....IN HIGH SCHOOL.  

That is a video of Amelia Molitor, maybe you posted the wrong one?

Again not defending the guy, but http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/joe-mixon-claims-in-new-court-filing-that-amelia-molitor/article_67452953-3d5e-566c-9cde-6da49cf3d789.html

26 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Kiper posted his "Grade A" mock draft this morning: http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/insider/story/_/id/19185386/mel-kiper-jr-three-round-grade-mock-draft-2017-nfl-draft

I wouldn't know what to do with myself if we ended up with these 3 players by the end of the 3rd round.

Washington Redskins

Round 1 (17): Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State

Round 2 (49): Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State

Round 3 (81): Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn

Washington signed former Cardinals safety D.J. Swearinger to a low-risk deal this offseason, but it's far from settled at free safety in the long term. Hooker is the best center-field-type safety in this class. He had seven interceptions last season, including three pick-sixes, and made plays all over the field. He could drop a little because he started only one season and has some injury questions, but he has tremendous potential. Cook is another prospect who has dropped a little. He didn't have a great combine, and his shoulders are a concern. There's a chance he drops here because of how deep this running back class is. Robert Kelley and Matt Jones are decent, but neither is a home run threat like Cook, who had 38 rushing touchdowns the past two seasons. Adams, who would probably play nose guard, could be a second-round pick if a team rolls the dice on his talent. He must be more consistent.

This would be nuts. Although I might have Adams at DE, and maybe move him to NT in some situations. But this would be sick.

So, there's no way it could happen, dammit! Be right for once, Kiper! ;)

I can't deny that a backfield of Mcaffrey at HB and Fat Rob at FB is extremely attractive.

I have to be convinced that he is worth a 17 over all, listening to Cooley get so excited is kinda doing that.  At the end of the day I'm just a fan and will default to Gruden's decisions

2 minutes ago, pray4surf said:

@3 Rings The video you posted is the victim at OU.  The alleged HS incident is totally different.  If this HS incident is true, then this is a pattern and not an isolated case.  

this is the most recent statement from the father of the girl in the "alleged HS incident"

"Once, when they were in school together, my daughter had a minor disagreement with some of her classmates that got blown out of proportion. Like any father would, I reacted emotionally. Unfortunately, I did so before I had all the facts. Now, having talked to my daughter and investigated the whole story, I realize that I was mistaken about Joe’s involvement. I definitely overreacted, and I regret that my words might have given some people the wrong impression about Joe. I know that Joe did not hurt my daughter, did not intend to, and would not do so."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2704570-joe-mixon-alleged-hs-assault-on-female-reportedly-investigated-by-2-nfl-teams

Archived