Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Yes. Thats why I had him rated highly before doing study on this draft. His 2014 tape wasnt awful either. They had him lose weight this year and played him all over the line. Maybe that actually had a negative effect on him? The bottom line for me was his tape was actually pretty poor this year. Yes. He shows flashes. But I dont even have a first round grade on him.

I think his on-field decline in his final season happened for similar reasons that Clowney's did in 2013.  Clowney went from 13 sacks to 3, 23.5 TFLs to 11.5, and 3 forced fumbles to 1.  I think they both decided to mail it in for their final seasons to protect themselves so they didn't end up like Marcus Lattimore and lose themselves a ton of money, especially when they realized their teams weren't going anywhere because their coaches suck at recruiting.

McDowell is basically another one of those guys who's struggling with the "hype fatigue", because he's been hyped as a top 10 pick since early last season.  I do think there are legitimate questions about his character off the field though, but even those have been blown out of proportion IMO.

2 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Mate, it's neither my nor anyone elses' 'job' to do F-all for you because you chose to be a skeptical so and so. 

You want to find something? Dig like anyone else has to. 

And the hypocrisy of you accusing someone else of being snarky given your recent previous is not a good road to travel down. As exemplified by the way you 'asked' for the extra information right there. 

Hail. 

What, this?

"I did a quick search, and could not find anything like that about Fournette. The closest thing I saw was that some scouts thought he was more into his own hype that playing football. But nothing where he came out and said anything like that."

Yeah, that's snarky.

As for me, if I post something, I actually try to put the link in there when I post it. It's called "citation". And why should I just take everyone, you included, at their word? Sorry, if I don't I don't think anyone is perfect, and that was a pretty big claim. For which you provided no evidence. So I looked, didn't find anything and asked for citation.

Sorry it hurt your ego.

8 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

What, this?

"I did a quick search, and could not find anything like that about Fournette. The closest thing I saw was that some scouts thought he was more into his own hype that playing football. But nothing where he came out and said anything like that."

Yeah, that's snarky.

As for me, if I post something, I actually try to put the link in there when I post it. It's called "citation". And why should I just take everyone, you included, at their word? Sorry, if I don't I don't think anyone is perfect, and that was a pretty big claim. For which you provided no evidence. So I looked, didn't find anything and asked for citation.

Sorry it hurt your ego.

Uhmmm, how about your original reply .....

29 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Then drop a link, or do you think you are above such a thing?

Next time you want a clarification, first, ask in a non-condescending manner and you might get somewhere. Then, don't compound your B/S by then trying to flip it back onto someone like a 'woe poor attacked me for nothing' scenario.

Don't try and be a smart-ass when it's all within a few frigging posts of each other. 

Hail. 

1 minute ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Uhmmm, how about your original reply .....

Next time you want a clarification, first, ask in a non-condescending manner and you might get somewhere. Then, don't compound your B/S by then trying to flip it back onto someone like a 'woe poor attacked me for nothing' scenario.

Don't try and be a smart-ass when it's all within a few frigging posts of each other. 

Hail. 

Um, that was NOT my original reply. That reply was after you got snarky. Go back and look a little harder. Like you told me.

3 minutes ago, Dukes and Skins said:

I've basically narrowed down to RB being the pick at 17. Either going to be Cook or McCaffrey. If they go another route its really because someone in the top 10-top 13 range fell.

I kinda get that feeling too.  I think it's a bit of a reach not based on talent, but based on Jay's lack of commitment to the running game.  We shall see.

I really don't care what position we draft, I'm just hoping we pick someone who turns out to be a good player.  We are not in the position to be able to miss on our first  round guys.

Just now, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I kinda get that feeling too.  I think it's a bit of a reach not based on talent, but based on Jay's lack of commitment to the running game.  We shall see.

I really don't care what position we draft, I'm just hoping we pick someone who turns out to be a good player.  We are not in the position to be able to miss on our first  round guys.

Yep I'm right there with you. I would be ecstatic with Reddick, but I worry he's gone in the top 15. Cook just fits here really well in that Jamaal Charles type role

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

At the end of the day I'd Cook or Mixon or McCaffrey are on this roster, our offense will be elite. LG be damned. 

Now, beyond 2017 who knows what it will look like. Man a LTD with Kirk would clear so much up for our future 

That ship has sailed. He's not going to be here after next year. I honestly can't say I blame them for not wanting to throw that cash at him either.

37 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Stfu

Both of you go back to your corners and quit ****ing this thread up.

Jesus christ.

No.jpg

28 minutes ago, Dukes and Skins said:

That ship has sailed. He's not going to be here after next year. I honestly can't say I blame them for not wanting to throw that cash at him either.

62917040.jpg

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've gone back and forth on McDowell but I've never liked the idea of picking him, I haven't hated it either.    He definitely would not be my preferred choice at #17.  Main thing which makes it acceptable is he's a talented guy on a unit with so little talent.   But too many red flags IMO on him.

From NFL Draft 2017 Preview, Nolan Nawrocki.  

Quoting a scout

"McDowell's interview was one of the most difficult to sit through.  There was a lot of blame for everyone else.   It was very self-centered,  It confirmed what you see on tape.  He is a boom-or-bust guy -- there is no in between. How far does he slide before someone says this guy is too big, too long and too athletic not to draft? Some coach will be pounding the table saying, "I know I can change him.  I'm glad it just won't be us."

See...this is what i need to see.  So much anecdotal stuff....even this has to be taken with a grain of salt, but it comes with plenty of corroboration.  

That just sounds awful...something like this, if i was this dude in that interview i would run, & tell my FO "no earlier than 3rd...possibly off my board altogether."

1 hour ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Just watched the ESPN special with Kiper and McShay.....question was asked McCaffrey/Cook as it relates to the Skins...they both said McCaffrey better fit, but won't be there at 17...and then they mentioned Reddick and Foster as options.......they obviously read this thread prior to the show.

This wins the thread for today.  Everyone can pack up now.  Good night...

5 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I tried to emulate just now with a "going for this one time, see how close I can get" with FanSpeak. Traded 1.17 to Cleveland for 2.1, 2.20 and 4.1 ... in order ...

2.1: Joe Mixon, RB Oklahoma

2.17: Malik McDowell, DT MSU

2.20: Ryan Anderson, EDGE Bama (Bowser also there at pick)

3.17: Blair Brown, ILB Ohio

4.1: Ethan Pocic, G/C LSU

4.7: Chad Hansen, WR Cal

4.16: Eddie Vanderdoes, NT UCLA (also could have taken 3T Jaleen Johnson, who I like better, but given McDowell is a 5T and Johnson is a 3T ... Vanderdoes is more of a 1T/NT ... but I have seen where J Johnson could play 1T, anyway ... carrying on)

5.10 Eddie Jackson, S Bama

6.17: Deatrich Wise, EDGE Arkansas

6.25: Jerod Evans, QB VT 

That trade with Cleveland would be fantastic. I could see CLE going Myles, Oj Howard/McCaff, and if Watson or Mahomes is available when we pick I could see them making that trade. 3 building blocks for them in round 1. It would be a great Friday/Saturday for the Skins

Watching CSN tonight and B.Mitch was asked if he would take Christian McCaffrey if available at #17. His very quick, blunt answer? "No, not for a back that wont be on the field all 3 downs" 

Also read an article earlier that brought up a very good point: The Redskins FO & Bruce Allen desperately need this years draft to be extremely positive from a PR standpoint after the drama that occurred surrounding Scot's departure this offseason. FA was a mixed bag in that regard because of the two defensive lineman signed, so I agree with the idea.

I hope it means the Skins will look to draft a can't miss prospect in the first, ruling out anyone with character concerns (McDowell) or with questionable value from a positional standpoint like an RB not named Fournette. A player with an extremely high-floor, and if no one meets the aforementioned criteria; trade down. Barring a top-10 talent falling in our laps, of course.

Unfortunately I think teams outside the top 10-15 all have the same idea. Supporting evidence being a team like the Patriots making the rare trade of their 1st rounder for Cooks in the offseason. Also could be why Scot had the foresight to trade for as many picks this year as he could beforehand. I'm predicting we might see trade-downs fetch far less than usual in relation to the trade value chart this year. Just a hunch. 

And with how much Dan and Bruce crave positive PR like junkies, I can see us pulling a 2008-esque draft but with way more picks. A "look at how many 1st round talents we got in the 2-4th rounds fans!"-type draft, and I wouldnt be upset at all about it. Lets just hope the selections pan out better than Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas, and Fred Davis haha

Or perhaps McCaffrey, Cook, McDowell, and all the 1st-round QBs will be gone before we pick so I'm not grasping for scenarios like this one to make me sleep better at night. Draft day couldn't come sooner.

6 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Mate, it's neither my nor anyone elses' 'job' to do F-all for you because you chose to be a skeptical so and so. 

You want to find something? Dig like anyone else has to. 

And the hypocrisy of you accusing someone else of being snarky given your recent previous is not a good road to travel down. As exemplified by the way you 'asked' for the extra information right there. 

Hail. 

Dude there has been maybe one tweet that said something along the lines of someone may have heard from a source that Fournette may be driven by being a star more than anything else (if I remember correctly) 

Acting like its fact that he doesnt love the game and there are tons of evidence out there supporting that claim is asinine. Quit being a bully. 

He's absolutely correct thats its difficult to find anything about it and youre deflecting instead of citing your source because you know it too. 

6 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Leonard Fournette. Openly admits he doesn't love football. That it's just 'a job' to him. He doesn't live it. Read a couple of scouts say that doesn't sit well with them. 

Now he's 100% professional when he's at work. But where do you draw the line on 'desire' and 'love for the game?'

Hail. 

Yeah I believe any prospect came out on record and told any team or member of the media that he doesnt love the game. 

Ridiculous.

13 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Really? Isn't that interesting. 

Not been up on the Redskins this past few months but thanks for that. 

Hail. 

And actually no, its not interesting because if you read the press release with direct quotes from crowder on the subject it's not even close to correct.

"But I'm not going to do the leg work for you" and supply you with the truth because you'd rather run with speculative information that supports drafting McCaffrey. Comical.

13 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I don't get that. Why would you not want as many weapons at your disposal as you can have? It's how you get stellar depth if nothing else. 

Hail. 

Because you dont draft depth in the 1st round. And you don't take better players off the field to get him reps at receiver to make up for the lack of reps at RB.

I'd completely left responding as Kb made a fair and pertinent point about this being beyond tedious to everyone. But then here comes DC gegging in on something that had nottin' to do with him. Again.

This is an informal message board. Nobody has to cite F-all for anyone. Not least when you're asking someone to find a something that was contained in articles over the whole draft process. There's plenty out there if you look on GM's/ Scouts being concerned with Fournettes lack of passion for the game/ not growing up watching football/ not watching it now and liking to get away from it et all around the combine private interviews if you delve. I gave you a straight up source of a long-standing scout to tweet which is far more than I should.

The ironic thing being I don't agree as he comes to work and gives everything so his driving passion being earning a great living is solid enough for me. But you both are so stuck up on your McCaffrey B/S (whom I was never advocating we drafted to begin with), it clouds everything and has you jumping on anything you perceive to be a negative on Fournette. 

McCaffrey we'll leave as yet again you're talking out of your rear end on a player you patently have no frigging concept over. 

Hail. 

I have said it before and will say it again that you draft BPA! Depth becomes starters in an instant. Why can't so many of you see that? Two years ago we had about 6 tight ends on the roster because 3 of them got hurt! An RB if not a luxury pick or a depth pick or any other crazy scenario out there. It is a need just like pretty much every other position on the roster. Some act as though Rob Kelley is Clinton Portis. People talk about Kerrigan being a jag? No. Kelley is a jag. If you can upgrade him in the first you do it in a heartbeat. Here is the thing though. If they find a guard to be the best player you take him. That is the way it works. If you see a way to improve the team you do it. The approach some of you would like to take is baffling. Just draft need and call it a day. DL DL DL. Go ahead and draft McDowell with our first with those character concerns and see what happens then you will be wishing for a RB in the first.

4 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

I have said it before and will say it again that you draft BPA! Depth becomes starters in an instant. Why can't so many of you see that? Two years ago we had about 6 tight ends on the roster because 3 of them got hurt! An RB if not a luxury pick or a depth pick or any other crazy scenario out there. It is a need just like pretty much every other position on the roster. Some act as though Rob Kelley is Clinton Portis. People talk about Kerrigan being a jag? No. Kelley is a jag. If you can upgrade him in the first you do it in a heartbeat. Here is the thing though. If they find a guard to be the best player you take him. That is the way it works. If you see a way to improve the team you do it. The approach some of you would like to take is baffling. Just draft need and call it a day. DL DL DL. Go ahead and draft McDowell with our first with those character concerns and see what happens then you will be wishing for a RB in the first.

If Fournette drops and is there are 17, take him. Run to the podium.

If Cook is there, and he is your BPA, take him.

I don't have a 1st round grade on McCaffery, in fact I have him behind Mixon. Who will be there in the 2nd round. So no matter what, he is not BPA for me.

As far as I'm concerned, there are better OLB, ILB, S, and CB that will all be BPA @17. I think one DL will be there. The fact that all those positions are also a need is even better.

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

If Fournette drops and is there are 17, take him. Run to the podium.

If Cook is there, and he is your BPA, take him.

I don't have a 1st round grade on McCaffery, in fact I have him behind Mixon. Who will be there in the 2nd round. So no matter what, he is not BPA for me.

As far as I'm concerned, there are better OLB, ILB, S, and CB that will all be BPA @17. I think one DL will be there. The fact that all those positions are also a need is even better.

I am ok with the way you look at it. If you feel that McCaffery is not that great truthfully that is fine. My problem is those that totally ignore the fact that he just may be the pick at 17. Heck Fournette could be a bust. We have no idea. BUT I would not hate the pick. I am not a Cook guy myself but I would not hate the pick even though I don't like the guy. People need to be more optimistic about where we could go with that pick in the first and not get one sighted into whom we could select. But I do feel that RB is a need I really do. IMO I think we have one of the worst ground units in the league and I think its due to the back itself and not the line.

Archived