Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

Sure, he's an upgradable player. Outside or Trent Williams, who isnt?

But, outside of Fournette, there isn't a RB that is a slam dunk to be dominant. And Fournette is not going to be there.

Now, if you want to blow a (and I do me blow) a 1st round pick on McCaffery, I think that's a dumb move. He's not a great back. And I could care less how well he runs routes, to be honest. If we didn't have Reed or Crowder, I might care. But we have both, so I really don't. Because both those guys are better, and I will not pull them off the field to get a RB in the slot.

If I thought he was the 2nd coming of Eric Dickerson, I'd be frothing at the mouth to get him. But I see him as the 2nd coming of Toby Gerhart. Overhyped white Rb from Stanford that is going to be a bust in the NFL.

I don't even want Cook at 17, and I think he's twice the RB McCaffery is.

Yeah, we get it. You completely undervalue Cook and McCaffery. Thats fine. Maybe they do, maybe they dont work out.

Our RBs are **** though and need a playmaker back there.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, we get it. You completely undervalue Cook and McCaffery. Thats fine. Maybe they do, maybe they dont work out.

Our RBs are **** though and need a playmaker back there.

:kickcan:

I'd take Mixon in the 2nd, because it's not a first round pick and he's better than McCaffery.

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, I've really started think RB/CB are our first pick. Maybe even second too.

I never saw that Jay quote until now about how he thinks a great running back makes a team different.  That's a strong comment.  You combine that with him gushing when asked about McCaffrey and Cook by JP Finley and Bruce in a recent interview said they didn't make the playoffs because of their inability to run the ball against the Giants and stop the run.   You got the report yesterday (if true) that one team selecting from the mid round first told McCafffrey they'd take him if he lands there.  (only 3 teams got a private workout with the McCaffrey, Redskins were one of those teams) 

There is some serious smoke pointing towards McCaffrey or Cook.  Cook the more likely to land at #17.  As for CB yeah if Humphrey or Conley fall to #17, I could see it.

Why does McCaffrey keep being talked about as taking reps from Crowder in the slot? 

He was lined up all over Stanford's O and was better than a lot of wideouts split wide. 

Wherever he ends up, if he's not that OC's wet dream then said OC is very unimaginative indeed and not worthy of the title. 

13 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I'd take Mixon in the 2nd, because it's not a first round pick and he's better than McCaffery.

I'd take Mixon over any back in this draft on pure talent. 

But without getting into it all again I have a thing about guys that hit woman. Shrugs.

Hail. 

22 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, I've really started think RB/CB are our first pick. Maybe even second too.

Yep that's my thinking too. 

6 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Why does McCaffrey keep being talked about as taking reps from Crowder in the slot? 

Think the plan is for Crowder to actually spend less time in the slot. Pretty sure that's been said over recent weeks.

4 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

He was lined up all over Stanford's O and was better than a lot of wideouts split wide. 

Wherever he ends up, if he's not that OC's wet dream then said OC is very unimaginative indeed and not worthy of the title. 

I'd take Mixon over any back in this draft on pure talent. 

But without getting into it all again I have a thing about guys that hit woman. Shrugs.

Hail. 

Because I don't think he's a every down RB, that's why.

And yeah, you can be creative with him. but to do so, because we have so many weapons already on the outside, you're going to need to take one of them off the field to get him in there. If we had holes out there, like if Grant was as starter, I'd feel different. But we don't

But as a RB, and when I say RB, a guy running the football, he does not blow me away. And if you don't blow me away, I see no need to used a 1st round pick on a RB.

As for Mixon, I pretty much feel the same way as far as hitting women. But he is talented. And he would help the team and can be a very good 20+ carry guy. Now, we have to see if Gruden will call games like that, or that won't even matter.

59 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

So, you're saying that Chris Thompson is not a huge task for a LB to cover? That's insulting to Thompson. He's quicker that McCaffery.

I hope play calling will improve this year, so that we will actually spread out and try to run the ball, instead of always spreading out and passing, or always going jumbo and running. And I think the issues with running are not the RB's but the OL. LG is bad, and the rest are not physical enough. We don't move the LoS.

I think play calling was (not totally) limited by the weapons we had/didn't have on offense.  See....you can keep McCaffrey in from 2nd to 3rd on intermediate/long down & distances...& even short ones.  This allows you to dictate personnel to the defense...especially if you want to go hurry up.  If i just ran a 3-wide set with TE in, & singleback with McCaffrey...the threat of run, & including in between the tackles, is still there.  Now you gained 6 need 4 on the 11.  You can spread-wide, & check motion with McCaffrey vs a LB, & if they show zone, you can manipulate coverage by moving Reed.  CT doesn't scare teams the same way.

Likewise...you can load Jumbo, keep McCaffrey in, & still have the threat with Reed, & Davis, & now McCaffrey who can run WR routes, to throw...which can leave the edge unattended, or leave a soft underbelly when there shouldn't be one.

Also...just looked it up.  CT ran 4.42 vs McCaffrey's 4.48, no vert, & no short shuttle for CT...but McCaffrey beat Fournette, & Cook by at least 7" on the vert, & his short shuttle, & 3 cone were blazing fast.  

...i like CT...but his cut is nowhere near as sudden, or effective back to top speed as McCaffrey.  His step-cut is exactly like watching Faulk imo.  He changes direction at full speed faster than just about anyone.  

One other thing....CT is nowhere near as heady or aware as McCaffrey has shown on tape.  CT is a guy who can catch a ball in space, & make use of it because he is fast, & shifty.  He also needs his speed, & play design to get open.  McCaffrey will just get open because he can run routes better than most NFL slot WRs, which opens up the offense exponentially.  Then...when he gets the ball, he can create openeings with his vision, & football awareness. Not to mention the patience to set up key blocks that spring him for more yardage.

Kelley, & CT are nice players, & perhaps even above average at their specific positive attributes.  McCaffrey can run 15-20 times, return 4 kicks/punts, & then add 5-10 catches on a given night with the potential to just destroy a defense while being "corralled" for a game or 2.  He can do this, & allow you to keep the defense guessing on "obvious" downs.  

Sure...he'll need a spell or 2, & it would help to keep his usage from going too crazy  (i would say this about Bell as much as McCaffrey)...but that's where Kelley, & CT can earn their cash.

RB may not be a need.

.but when Gruden says "special," i think McCaffrey, & today's NFL are a match made in heaven.

5 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Yep that's my thinking too. 

Think the plan is for Crowder to actually spend less time in the slot. Pretty sure that's been said over recent weeks.

Have not heard that from any reliable source. Not only that, it's way too soon to make any predictions on that. If Doctons is healthy, he's going to be outside and Crowder will be in the slot.

Just now, Morneblade said:

And yeah, you can be creative with him. but to do so, because we have so many weapons already on the outside, you're going to need to take one of them off the field to get him in there. If we had holes out there, like if Grant was as starter, I'd feel different. But we don't

I don't get that. Why would you not want as many weapons at your disposal as you can have? It's how you get stellar depth if nothing else. 

Hail. 

4 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Really? Isn't that interesting. 

Not been up on the Redskins this past few months but thanks for that. 

Hail. 

I also think Gruden will love McCaffrey. not sure I agree but think he'd want him in here.

Just now, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I don't get that. Why would you not want as many weapons at your disposal as you can have? It's how you get stellar depth if nothing else. 

Hail. 

A couple of reasons.

First, I don't think very highly of McCaffery. I don't think he is going to be a great, or ever good NFL player. I think he might be "ok". So I don't think he is worth a 1st round pick on.

Second, We have A LOT of talent on offense. We have **** on defense. The best way to improve the team is to increase the talent on the side of that ball that doesn't have it. And that is not the offense.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I also think Gruden will love McCaffrey. not sure I agree but think he'd want him in here.

Oh, I do too. I think he'll be all over him. And that worries me.

11 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Second, We have A LOT of talent on offense. We have **** on defense. The best way to improve the team is to increase the talent on the side of that ball that doesn't have it. And that is not the offense.

The best way to improve your football team is to draft the BPA and continue stacking up on quality. If that top graded player on your board when you pick happens to be in a position you're already strong in, so be it. The best GM's don't window dress their boards or draft for need the first three rounds. You do that, you're risking losing out on superior talent and limiting your trade options. You draft BPA regardless of position, you're building a strong, deep roster. It's what teams like Seattle do. 

Said it on these boards recently but a favourite quote of mine draft time is from the great Packers GM Ron Wolf: 'If you feel good at a position, keep drafting it!' 

In other words, 'have 2 of 'em!' It's how you get stellar depth and a real strong roster. 

If the BPA on your board is a defensive player at 17, and it's not even close, sound. Draft him. If it's offensive player, the same applies. 

If you want to ever start to become a properly run football team again that is. 

Hail. 

36 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Mixon is more of a fumble risk than cook. If Mixon was as great as the other backs, he'd be talked about as a first.

Also, it doesn't look like any day 1 play makers on defense will be there at 17 and our second will be.

I dont want a RB at all, but it may still be the right choice.

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

.....  If Mixon was as great as the other backs, he'd be talked about as a first.

Have to disagree with you there mate, The only thing keeping Mixon out of Round 1 will be the baggage. His talent is a bona fide first round one and he's more than arguably the best all round back in this class.

But what happened three years ago is what is costing him dollars. 

Hail. 

9 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Have to disagree with you there mate, The only thing keeping Mixon out of Round 1 will be the baggage. His talent is a bona fide first round one and he's more than arguably the best all round back in this class.

But what happened three years ago is what is costing him dollars. 

Hail. 

I disagree. NFL doesn't care that much about that stuff. If he was that great, he'd be a top pick. He's a non physical gadget back with major fumble issues.

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I disagree. NFL doesn't care that much about that stuff. If he was that great, he'd be a top pick. He's a non physical gadget back with major fumble issues.

And yet he didn't fumble as much as Cook who you mistakingly said was less of a risk above: 

2017 NFL Draft: Which running backs raise red flags as potential fumblers? - CBSSports.com

Hail. 

Archived