Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

41 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

..I would not draft any CB at 17

Would not be my first choice but don't have an issue with it.

Said before, any CB across from Norman will get worked over. The chance to get a really good one on a rookie deal is not a bad move. By time the rookie needs paying, Normans 15mil py deal will be up. That's a good balance.

I dont see Breeland having a long term future here. Ship him out to the Jets for Richardson or something.

1 hour ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Skins flying to Alabama Tomorrow for a private meeting with Ryan Anderson

Fall back option in the third maybe. 

1 hour ago, nemocystem said:

Another way to say it is that Cook beats people with speed, & athleticism, while McCaffrey beats people with football IQ, & manipulation.  

Going purely with Cooley's take on this. They just have different styles.  McCaffrey likes to hesitate and scope out the hole/seam and than take off.  Whereas Cook is more in the style of Shanny's zone one cut and go style Denver Rbs.    

According to Cooley, Cook has vision and great balance.  He has a feel for open creases.  He has a good sense of how to quickly get to the edge and how to set up blocks.  Plays with attitude and violence and toughness. 

8 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

The Cooley segment in espn 980 is must hear. Beide the stuff Skinsparadise posted he also went in depth in there (their?) weaknesses. Was very interesting. Not sure if I want Reddick. Just like Sua he is hybrid player...but I'm not sure our D coördinator can get most out of does guys. You need have a creative mind and move them around. 

I got to listen to it again perhaps, but I didn't sense that Cooley summed him up as a Su'a type player.  He just said in year 1 you can transition him that way -- play edge on third down and play MLB on other downs.  He outright said Reddick is a 3 down player and thinks he will be a really good MLB. 

13 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Out of the guys that can be expected at #17, I think I like McDowell and Reddick the most. Cook would not be bad, just not as important to me.

Right now I am:

1. Reddick

2.  Cook

(if we get very lucky and Foster or Adams or Hooker drop -- I'd take that player)

I can be talked into Taco Charlton, Derek Barnett, G. Conley

if they trade down some in the first

1. Watt

2. Wormley

3. J. Willis

Maybe McKinley

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Going purely with Cooley's take on this. They just have different styles.  McCaffrey likes to hesitate and scope out the hole/seam and than take off.  Whereas Cook is more in the style of Shanny's zone one cut and go style Denver Rbs.    

According to Cooley, Cook has vision and great balance.  He has a feel for open creases.  He has a good sense of how to quickly get to the edge and how to set up blocks.  Plays with attitude and violence and toughness. 

I got to listen to it again perhaps, but I didn't sense that Cooley summed him up as a Su'a type player.  He just said in year 1 you can transition him that way -- play edge on third down and play MLB on other downs.  He outright said Reddick is a 3 down player and thinks he will be a really good MLB. 

No no. Sua part was my opinion. I just named him as an other hybrid player (other position but still tweaner/hybrid. In his case OLB ILB guy). That our D coördinator needs to use does guys flexibele not in standart roles. 

Cooley compared him with Jamie Collins I think. Not sure. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Right now I am:

1. Reddick

2.  Cook

(if we get very lucky and Foster or Adams or Hooker drop -- I'd take that player)

I can be talked into Taco Charlton, Derek Barnett, G. Conley

if they trade down some in the first

1. Watt

2. Wormley

3. J. Willis

Maybe McKinley

I'm not sure about Taco in a 3-4. He'd really have to add some weight.

17 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

No no. Sua part was my opinion. I just named him as an other hybrid player (other position but still tweaner/hybrid OLB ILB guy). That our D coördinator needs to use does guys flexibele not in standart roles. 

Cooley compared him with Jamie Collins I think. Not sure. 

Yep he compared him to Jamie Collins -- a faster version of him.  I just re-listened to it.   Actually Cooley was more effusive than my first impression listening to it.

Reddick: He won't overwhelm as a rusher in terms of bringing power.  Won't hold the edge well against the run.  He has two dominant rush moves, and he needs more moves.  He has good hands but needs to learn how to use them better.  He has a true ability to turn the corner -- that's the hardest thing to find in the NFL.  True dynamic speed which can burn you on the edge -- that's rare and he's got that.  Only other guy in this draft who can bring it like that is Garrett.  He has incredible range and side line to sideline speed.   He's slippery.  He can cover .  He has A plus closing speed.  He's a playmaker.   He projects as an inside linebacker.  He can be used immediately as a situational-dynamic pass rusher which the team needs desperately.  He will excel in every aspect -- what he can do is so special.

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

What were Cooley's thoughts on Foster?

I posted some of them previously.  He likes Foster but likes Reddick better.   Foster is a good pass dropping linebacker, he cuts off routes.  He sees QB eyes.  He can play man to man with a running back and tight end.  He keys in on screens well.  He is exceptional against the run, good patience and stays in his gap.  He runs into blocks way too often.  Some of his moves to shed blockers might not work in the NFL.  He's a massive hitter.  He tackles with his head down,and doesn't tackle with great technique so he thinks he will miss tackles in the NFL.  He's always around the ball, good speed.   Freak athlete. 

52 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

BPA looks like heading towards DB right now.

Trading back has to be on the cards. Bruce wants to look good, time to play around in the draft and feather his nest. 

I used to think so but now I wonder.  Looks like the two hot prospects Lattimore and Conley are likely going before #17.  And I see there is some mixed opinion and Marlon Humphrey -- detractors challenging his ball skills and say he just has straight line speed.   If its #17 for CB, I gather it would be Humphrey or White.   Some mocks have both going though late first.   Looks like the 2nd round might be a nice spot for CB.

14 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

@Skinsinparadise I think we'll go DE/OLB rusher in the second. Pretty wide open options for us though, no way in hell we should screw this up with 5 picks in the top 125 or so.

If the choices in the first are Humphrey and White at CB arguably they aren't higher value than some of the pass rushers in the first including Watt.  Seems like in this draft the value for all the positions of needs which are arguably:  CB, FS, DT, Edge Rusher -- are in the 2nd and third round. 

IMO if Reddick drops to #17 or in a surprise Foster or Hooker or Adams -- then you take one of those guys.  I like Cook, too.  Otherwise, if they could then trade down.  

I wonder if for example Reddick, Foster, Adams or even Allen drop past 10 -- do you actually consider trading up?  With Scot, I didn't consider that possibility because he doesn't like to do that.

11 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

@Skinsinparadise I think we'll go DE/OLB rusher in the second. Pretty wide open options for us though, no way in hell we should screw this up with 5 picks in the top 125 or so.

DE, CB or OLB in the 2nd is my best guess.  Reddick, Foster, Conley and Cook/McCaffrey are my guesses for the 1st.  Of course, if someone like Allen or Hooker drops...

Depending on how it shakes out, my ideal might be to trade back a bit and pick up a mid rounder.  

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wonder if for example Reddick, Foster, Adams or even Allen drop past 10 -- do you actually consider trading up?  With Scot, I didn't consider that possibility because he doesn't like to do that.

We did reportedly speak at the combine with the Bengals about the #9 pick.

14 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

We did reportedly speak at the combine with the Bengals about the #9 pick.

Isn't that just normal? Speak with every team. Gain intel. Know what the option are.  

Im curious if Scot thing will have an impact on our relation with Seahawks. If they might be less willing, althought nobody says no to a good deal. 

Archived