Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree, on the top notch DL in theory but I don't see what player that would be?  Malik McDowell is a wild card -- boom-bust player.  Brantley maybe.  But there doesn't seem to be a slam dunk choice.  As for MLB, Foster is likely gone.  Maybe I'd consider J. Davis though it seems a bit early for him.

To me, Reddick would be a novelty for this team.   Tough for me to recall the last speed edge rusher we've had.  Chris Clemons maybe?  Though think Reddick is better suited over the long haul at MLB.  And he's better suited to making that conversion than Cravens.  He's bigger and faster than Cravens and by a good margin.  Reddick has some background as a DB so apparently he can cover.

What gets me on Reddick is listening to Manusky and others talk about his scheme.   Apparently he likes the pressure coming from the edges and at times from the middle linebackers.   We need a speed rusher IMO to complement the power rushers.  And who is going to get to the QB right now on the blitz from up the middle, Compton?  Doubt it.

You can move Reddick from OLB to MLB -- and he'd be a nice toy to confuse offenses with as for where and when the pressure is coming from.  Manusky tried to do something similar with Cravens on blitzes last season but Reddick seems much more equipped to get it done.  Reddick is an accomplished pass rusher, Cravens isn't.  

I don't see Reddick as a risky pick because worse case scenario he's a third down situational pass rusher.  And IMO we need a guy like that.

looks like better coming from the left

Best pass-rusher from the left: Derek Barnett, Tennessee Hasson Reddick, Temple

Agree with every word you said, SIP but I also posted above that if both Foster and Reddick were both gone if we could trade down a few spots and pick up another draft pick I'd then take T.J. Watt.  Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree, on the top notch DL in theory but I don't see what player that would be?  Malik McDowell is a wild card -- boom-bust player.  Brantley maybe.  But there doesn't seem to be a slam dunk choice.  As for MLB, Foster is likely gone.  Maybe I'd consider J. Davis though it seems a bit early for him.

To me, Reddick would be a novelty for this team.   Tough for me to recall the last speed edge rusher we've had.  Chris Clemons maybe?  Though think Reddick is better suited over the long haul at MLB.  And he's better suited to making that conversion than Cravens.  He's bigger and faster than Cravens and by a good margin.  Reddick has some background as a DB so apparently he can cover.

What gets me on Reddick is listening to Manusky and others talk about his scheme.   Apparently he likes the pressure coming from the edges and at times from the middle linebackers.   We need a speed rusher IMO to complement the power rushers.  And who is going to get to the QB right now on the blitz from up the middle, Compton?  Doubt it.

You can move Reddick from OLB to MLB -- and he'd be a nice toy to confuse offenses with as for where and when the pressure is coming from.  Manusky tried to do something similar with Cravens on blitzes last season but Reddick seems much more equipped to get it done.  Reddick is an accomplished pass rusher, Cravens isn't.  

I don't see Reddick as a risky pick because worse case scenario he's a third down situational pass rusher.  And IMO we need a guy like that.

looks like better coming from the left

Best pass-rusher from the left: Derek Barnett, Tennessee Hasson Reddick, Temple

Thanks for the analysis. Makes a bit more sense in that light. There's no doubt he is a special football player. I still might be a bit wary about taking a guy in the first round in the hope that he can be an ILB but you make some good points.

My preference is for a linebacker. I'd really like a guy who plays inside and can run the defense,  like Davis or Cunningham,  but I'm assuming we go for a guy who can speed rush on 3rd down, because that's obviously a need. That makes me think Reddick or Watt.

Reddick is flying up draft boards and Watt is an early second rounder sniffing at the first. Speaks volumes about this draft, though.

I really really dont want to move up in the first 4 rounds. Back would be great. 

Im also going to assume there will be two big runs. PRer and CB. PRer will probably be mid first, close to where we pick and the second will start day 2 off.

Ideally, I'd like to move back 8- 10 spots in the first and let our pick come to us, while we can slide up about the same in the second, so we come away with a LB and CB. Then land FS and NT and we're looking much better.

The complete 7-round mock on another site is almost done.  I traded up in the 3rd and again in the 6th and grabbed two speedy promising young CBs that will also contribute to special teams.  There's some really great CB depth out there, and both these guys would be about 4th round in other years.  .  One more pick to go.  Let's see what's left and try to pick the best talent on the board there.   What do you think of this mock?

1 17 Washington Redskins Dcat Corey Davis Western Michigan WR    
2 17 Washington Redskins Dcat T.J. Watt Wisconsin OLB    
3 4 Washington Redskins Dcat Desmond King Iowa FS    
4 7 Washington Redskins Dcat Dalvin Tomlinson Alabama DT   from Jets
5 10 Washington Redskins Dcat James Conner Pittsburgh RB   from Saints
6 14 Washington Redskins Dcat Channing Stribling Michigan CB    
6 17 Washington Redskins Dcat Jeremy Cutrer Middle Tennessee CB    
7 2 Washington Redskins Dcat Ben Gedeon Michigan ILB   from 49ers

33 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Thats a great draft. Rather not take a WR in the first. Was Howard still available? 

Theres also a thread for mock drafts around here.

Howard went at #8.  I liked Davis in Round 1 for Washington because he and Doctsun could be an immense duo for years to come.  You only have Pryor on a 1-year show-me deal and I don't think all that highly of him.  All 3 of them would be tremendous for Cousins.  If I didn't tak Davis, i would have went with Cunningham, Reddick or Takka McKinnley for OLB.  Was thrilled that Watt fell to Washington in round 2.  What a steal there.  Here is how all of round 1 went down (there were a couple of trades):

1 1 Cleveland Browns Paradis Myles Garrett Texas A&M DE
1 2 San Francisco 49ers peppep Jonathan Allen Alabama DT
1 3 Chicago Bears Lithfan Solomon Thomas Stanford DE
1 4 Jacksonville Jaguars IndianaJet Leonard Fournette LSU RB
1 5 Tennessee Titans Untouchable Jamal Adams LSU SS
1 6 New York Jets Paradis Dalvin Cook Florida State RB
1 7 Los Angeles Chargers HawkeyeJet Malik Hooker Ohio State FS
1 8 Carolina Panthers pcola O.J. Howard Alabama TE
1 9 Cincinnati Bengals i against i Derek Barnett Tennessee DE
1 10 Buffalo Bills lray Mitch Trubisky North Carolina QB
1 11 New Orleans Saints pcola Reuben Foster Alabama ILB
1 12 Philadelphia Eagles lray Marshon Lattimore Ohio State CB
1 13 Arizona Cardinals JiF Deshaun Watson Clemson QB
1 14 Cleveland Browns Paradis Marlon Humphrey Alabama CB
1 15 Indianapolis Colts HawkeyeJet Taco Charlton Michigan DE
1 16 Baltimore Ravens Stark Mike Williams Clemson WR
1 17 Washington Redskins Dcat Corey Davis Western Michigan WR
1 18 Tennessee Titans Untouchable John Ross Washington WR
1 19 Tampa Bay Buccaneers chrebet80 Christian McCaffrey Stanford RB
1 20 Denver Broncos Hollywood Nosebleed Haason Reddick Temple LB
1 21 Detroit Lions rvajet815 Zach Cunningham Vanderbilt OLB
1 22 Miami Dolphins yankeejet22 Takkarist McKinley UCLA OLB
1 23 New York Giants JiF Ryan Ramczyk Wisconsin OT
1 24 Oakland Raiders Hollywood Nosebleed Quincy Wilson Florida CB
1 25 Houston Texans Hey Mangold DeShone Kizer Notre Dame QB
1 26 Seattle Seahawks ventesette Garett Bolles Utah OT
1 27 San Francisco 49ers peppep Jabrill Peppers Michigan SS
1 28 Dallas Cowboys Hey Mangold David Njoku Miami (Fla.) TE
1 29 Green Bay Packers eBoozer32 Sidney Jones Washington CB
1 30 Pittsburgh Steelers RobR Gareon Conley Ohio State CB
1 31 Atlanta Falcons Maury77 TreDavious White LSU CB

On 4/2/2017 at 5:59 AM, THE HAMMER'IN HOG said:

Caleb Brantley Fla. I believe should be the guy at 17, the man is relentless, and is a nightmare to block inside!

Then Possibly trade up in the 2nd rd. and grab Jarrad Davis MLB Fla., that should do wonders for the middle of our defense!

Yea ... and then grab Quincy Wilson CB in the 3rd ...  GO GATORS!

8 hours ago, RWJ said:

Agree with every word you said, SIP but I also posted above that if both Foster and Reddick were both gone if we could trade down a few spots and pick up another draft pick I'd then take T.J. Watt.  Thoughts?

I wouldn't mind Watt at all but I wonder if he's too similar to the guys we got in house.   If I am going lower in the draft (late first-early 2nd), I might go with Jordan Willis over Watt.  Like Watt, Willis is a hustle type of edge rusher.  But Willis has actual speed.  His speed is similar to Reddick.    TJ Watt's 40 time was almost identical to Ryan Kerrigan.

Not that speed is the be all and end all.  But I am looking more for a Galette in his prime type of edge rusher -- quick feet-burst-speed versus a power rusher type.  Though Galette if I recall doesn't have elite speed but has elite burst.   Elite burst but not speed I'd gather would fit Charles Harris and Carl Lawson.  

Part of the reason why I like Reddick and McKinley over the others is they have the quick first step explosiveness and the speed to match.  They can change direction well and pursue.   With Kerrigan it seems like QBs at times escape his grasp or he's just a hair too late -- he's just not quick enough at times.

Back to Watt, I love the guys fire -- similar to his brother.  He plays with a ferocity about him.  And as I stated in other posts, I think that attitude is missing on defense.   So I'd dig it from that angle.  You watch his highlights and its tough not to get fired up.  Preston Smith-Trent Murphy-Ryan Kerrigan are all oddly understated types personality wise compared to the typical edge rushers.  I don't agree with Doc Walker on everything -- but I do agree with him that you need to add some neanderthal-nastiness to this defense.  Watt would be that type of player.

I posted a mock earlier without trades, well here is one with trades:

1)  Browns-Garrett

2)  Panthers (from 49ers)-Fournette (Carolina gives up their 2nd rounder to move up ahead of JAX (note they also have a late 2nd rounder as well).  Price isn't as steep with no QB to trade for)

3)  Bears-Lattimore

4)  Browns (from Jags)-Hooker (Browns give up #65 and #108.  Jags slide back with no Fournette)

5)  Titans-Adams

6)  Jets-Foster (would love to trade down, but no one really worthy to trade up for at this stage from teams below.  Foster fills a huge need)

7)  Chargers-Allen (prefer to girth of Allen to the pass rush of Thomas)

8)  49ers (from Panthers)-Thomas (still get Thomas after the trade down)

9)  Bengals-Reddick (Fast riser.  Gives them a pass rusher on 3rd downs)

10)  Bills-Mike Williams (improves their WR corp which has nothing aside from Watkins)

11)  Saints-Conley (takes 2nd best corner in the draft)

12)  Jags (from Browns)-OJ Howard (traded away Thomas in the off-season.  TE is a need)

13)  Cards-Corey Davis (arguably the best WR in the draft)

14)  Eagles-Tre-Davious White (Must improve corner position)

15)  Colts-Barnett (must improve the pass rush)

16)  Ravens-Cook (Ozzie takes BPA usually, and they would have taken Zeke last year)

17)  Titans (from Redskins)-John Ross (Titans trade #18+#124 for #17.  Titans trade up to ensure they get John Ross.  Last of the top tier of the WRs)

18)   Broncos (from Redskins via Titans) (Broncos trade #20+#126 for #18.  Broncos trade up to ensure thy get Mccaffery hearings Bucs would take him).

19)  Bucs-Lamp (Bucs have to improve o-line.  Lamp is the best o-lineman in the draft).

20)  Redskins-Jarrad Davis (fills a huge need.  Stock solidified as a 1st rounder after pro day.  Excellent character and leadership.  Tak Mckinley, McDowell, in consideration).

Skins pick up 2 extra 4th rounders sliding down 3 spots due to the demand of likely WRs and RBs.  I think we will trade down (Bruce has traded down every draft since he took over).  

16 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wouldn't mind Watt at all but I wonder if he's too similar to the guys we got in house.   If I am going lower in the draft (late first-early 2nd), I might go with Jordan Willis over Watt.  Like Watt, Willis is a hustle type of edge rusher.  But Willis has actual speed.  His speed is similar to Reddick.    TJ Watt's 40 time was almost identical to Ryan Kerrigan.

Not that speed is the be all and end all.  But I am looking more for a Galette in his prime type of edge rusher -- quick feet-burst-speed versus a power rusher type.  Though Galette if I recall doesn't have elite speed but has elite burst.   Elite burst but not speed I'd gather would fit Charles Harris and Carl Lawson.  

Part of the reason why I like Reddick and McKinley over the others is they have the quick first step explosiveness and the speed to match.  They can change direction well and pursue.   With Kerrigan it seems like QBs at times escape his grasp or he's just a hair too late -- he's just not quick enough at times.

Back to Watt, I love the guys fire -- similar to his brother.  He plays with a ferocity about him.  And as I stated in other posts, I think that attitude is missing on defense.   So I'd dig it from that angle.  You watch his highlights and its tough not to get fired up.  Preston Smith-Trent Murphy-Ryan Kerrigan are all oddly understated types personality wise compared to the typical edge rushers.  I don't agree with Doc Walker on everything -- but I do agree with him that you need to add some neanderthal-nastiness to this defense.  Watt would be that type of player.

I am not a big fan of Watt, reminds me a lot of Murphy, productive college player who is a little slow and lacks the explosiveness needed in the NFL, If we can get a nose to penetrate the middle along with a big time MLB, and I do think Jarrad Davis is a possibility with a trade up in the 2nd, who I think is the best MLB in the draft, that should really enhance our outside rush, as QB's wont be stepping up into the pocket routinely out of the way of our guy's coming from the outside, I believe we are set with Kerrigan & Smith coming off the edge, we just need to push the middle of the O-lines back for a change!!

I would go with either Brantley or McDowell at #17, if you watch Brantley; he is one slippery SOB to block inside, I am thinking he's going to be a nightmare for centers to block, and really make QB's uncomfortable!!  

I am a huge propionate of dominant line play ---- it makes everyone else on the field better!!  

3 hours ago, THE HAMMER'IN HOG said:

I am not a big fan of Watt, reminds me a lot of Murphy, productive college player who is a little slow and lacks the explosiveness needed in the NFL, If we can get a nose to penetrate the middle along with a big time MLB, and I do think Jarrad Davis is a possibility with a trade up in the 2nd, who I think is the best MLB in the draft, that should really enhance our outside rush, as QB's wont be stepping up into the pocket routinely out of the way of our guy's coming from the outside, I believe we are set with Kerrigan & Smith coming off the edge, we just need to push the middle of the O-lines back for a change!!

I would go with either Brantley or McDowell at #17, if you watch Brantley; he is one slippery SOB to block inside, I am thinking he's going to be a nightmare for centers to block, and really make QB's uncomfortable!!  

I am a huge propionate of dominant line play ---- it makes everyone else on the field better!!  

As for Watt I was responding to post about him.  I think he could be good, love the dude's passion and fire but my issue with him is he's another power rusher and we have three power rushers on the roster already.    I am good with Brantley.  McDowell seems to have some bust factor to him so he scares me a bit -- reading about him he could be surly, aloof and doesn't always play hard.  But he's mega talented.  He comes off more talented than Brantley but Brantley seems the safer pick.

My preference (though its changed over time, and probably will change again) though is a speed pass rusher in the first (Reddick, McKinley) and then go D line in the 2nd or 3rd (Tomlinson, Watkins, Qualls, Montravius Adams, Larry Obunjobi).

I like Jarrad Davis but not sure in this draft I love the idea of trading up unless they give up very little.  Last time we traded up in the 2nd for a LB we gave up next years 2nd rounder.  Davis might be gone in the late first. I think this defense needs guy with leadership qualities, fire and energy.  Watt seems to have that.  Davis as I've hit on this thread many times is teaming with leadership qualities so I like that about him.  This draft seems so loaded, for example if we miss out on Davis -- the odds I think are good that a player who is now deemed a late first rounder would likely drop to that position. 

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hasn't Bruce traded back in every draft since he's been in charge?

I hope so. 

I could see us moving back. Teams like to stay in the first round to retain that fifth year rookie contract option. With that in mind, I reckon the pukes could be a viable trade partner.

I believe the signing of Zach Brown makes the value of some LB's in this draft a little lower.  Guys like Reuben Foster, Duke Riley, Jaylon Reeves-Maybin, Jabrill Peppers, and Zach Cunningham all play roles similar to what Zach Brown will.  Now I know Brown is on a 1 year deal, but still.

This might make guys who are aggressive against blockers like Jarrad Davis more valuable.  Our 2016 and 2015 draft picks of Daniels and Speight could probably fit next to Brown well.  Day 3 pick that might be a good one is Ben Gedeon.  He's simply solid.

I'd rather not trade back with our first round pick. I'd like to maximize the opportunity of nabbing a truly impact player there. Maaaaybe if one of the guys they really love just doesn't fall to them or someone blows them away in terms of compensation.  

2nd round and beyond? Absolutely. Would love if we can pick up an extra 3rd or 4th in particular. Similar to the 2014 draft, except with having a first rounder this time. That trade back with Dallas was excellent for us overall. Trent Murphy + Spencer Long > Demarcus Lawrence so far, it's not even close.  

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think we might actually go CB. The coaches have soured on Breeland from what I'm hearing.

CB is definitely a possibility. Breeland is in the final year of his deal. I still think LB is a strong possibility. BPA.

Archived