Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I haven't come to terms with it whatsoever and its really going to irk me if we ignore the position. Of course, I'm not really a fan of any of our TEs though. 

Our entire offense runs through a TE with major health concerns, that basically refuses to even attempt a block. Add a cat like Howard and your run game improves for a decade, along with the red zone and third downs.

Howard is still my personal favorite for our pick. Ill have to check Kittle out.

You are right. The Skins must draft a TE. Howard, Engram or Hodges 

Bleacher report, which I rarely read, had a beautiful 7 round mock for us: Brantley, Jarrad Davis, Kareem Hunt, Isiah Ford, Steve Tukiupuotupioputiipiupioou, Deveon Smith, and two late round centers. Would be elated with this.

21 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Kiper and McShay had a two round Mock....very interesting...

Kiper had us taking McCaffrey and Brantley

McShay had us taking Foster and Mixon.

Both very intriguing to me....I think I'd go with Kiper.

If we could get a mix of the Kiper/McShay picks, I'd be on cloud 9.  Foster in the 1st and Brantley in the 2nd.

I like McCaffrey that much better that i would love Kiper's scenario more just on that selection alone.  While i don't hate drafting Brantley at 49, i would be much more nervous with Foster/Mixon...though about equally as excited.

I would love McCaffrey/Jackson, or Cunningham/MacMillan more, & hope to get Watkins in the 3rd.

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I would absolutely take Foster in the 1st and Mixon in the 2nd.

I will one up you.  Foster in the 1st, Brantley in the 2nd and Mixon in the 3rd!   I have no clue, but Mixon may drop hard.  Tough to pass on him in the 3rd if he is still there.

truly a shame about McDowell.  i was really hard-up for him at 17 until all the nonsese became clearer.  if he falls to 49...hell yes.  will that ever happen? super doubtful.

i like Engram a lot....Reed clone with more speed, & better blocker.  i also like Butt later.  Howard is along Re Foster for me as guys who will absolutely be the pick if they fall...& yes, i would bet money that neither one, let alone both, fall to 17.

more & more i'm alligned with exactly what Kiper/McShay came out with today (only it was my idea first damnit! lol).  i think 1/2 should be defensive stud + RB.  based on who is likely to be available.  tons of options/possibilities....just seeing those as most probable.

2 hours ago, ILikeBilly said:

I will one up you.  Foster in the 1st, Brantley in the 2nd and Mixon in the 3rd!   I have no clue, but Mixon may drop hard.  Tough to pass on him in the 3rd if he is still there.

Holy crap that would be an absolute haul. I could maybe see Mixon falling to the 3rd but I just don't see any way he gets past there. IMO he's the best RB in this draft class though Fournette is damn impressive too but doesn't have the pass catching chops that Mixon has. I find it interesting that Mixon's character concerns are such a huge issue but Cook's aren't. Cook has been arrested multiple times over the years on a variety of charges from battery to mistreatment of animals IIRC, which to me shows a pattern. Mixon had the one (admittedly awful) issue in 2014 but I don't think anything since then and that is apparently enough to send him plummeting in the draft while Cook is still thought of as a 1st rounder. Cook is a very good back but his fumbling issue is a real negative to me...we already have one guy on the roster who can't hold onto the ball. Do we really want to spend a 1st on another?

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Great breakdown on McDowell.  Brett Kollmann really knows his stuff.  I think Tomsula could definitely coax the perennial pro-bowl talent out of him, but I wonder about the DL room he'd be walking into and if it would be strong enough to keep him on the right path. 

Thanks for posting this. I might have to reassess my opinion of him. Makes me think he might have just been really frustrated with the way his last season went, as opposed to just not a hard worker. I'll have to look some more, but thanks for posting.

One thing I don't worry about, is Tomsula.

24 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Holy crap that would be an absolute haul. I could maybe see Mixon falling to the 3rd but I just don't see any way he gets past there. IMO he's the best RB in this draft class though Fournette is damn impressive too but doesn't have the pass catching chops that Mixon has. I find it interesting that Mixon's character concerns are such a huge issue but Cook's aren't. Cook has been arrested multiple times over the years on a variety of charges from battery to mistreatment of animals IIRC, which to me shows a pattern. Mixon had the one (admittedly awful) issue in 2014 but I don't think anything since then and that is apparently enough to send him plummeting in the draft while Cook is still thought of as a 1st rounder. Cook is a very good back but his fumbling issue is a real negative to me...we already have one guy on the roster who can't hold onto the ball. Do we really want to spend a 1st on another?

Mixon has issues too. He isn't as bad as Cook, but it's a issue.

One of the guys I like in the 2nd does as well, Alvin Kamara.

Red Flag (Worse than 75)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2017-nfl-draft-which-running-backs-raise-red-flags-as-potential-fumblers/

41 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Mixon had the one (admittedly awful) issue in 2014 but I don't think anything since then and that is apparently enough to send him plummeting in the draft while Cook is still thought of as a 1st rounder. Cook is a very good back but his fumbling issue is a real negative to me...we already have one guy on the roster who can't hold onto the ball. Do we really want to spend a 1st on another?

If you check out this article about running backs with red flag issues with fumbling -- Mixon runs just about neck and neck with Cook as far as having a fumbling problem.  So I think the better argument is two guys with similar abilities and similar flaws.  Cook like Mixon IMO talks a good game in terms of putting his problems behind him.  Like I was saying the other day, I like the fact that Cook is considered likable by coaches, teammates -- and is a hard worker.  I don't like any type of character issues but the ones that concern me the most are drug issues, bad in the locker room and lazy-work ethic.  I don't think either Cook or Mixon have those issues.  Mixon though would be IMO the bigger PR problem.  But if he stays a good soldier, I presume the incident will be forgotten.

But the narrative that Mixon at least doesn't have Cook's fumbling issues -- based on the metrics in that article, that's not the case.  He's got fumbling problems, too.  They both had about 2300 total yards (rushing=passing) in a season -- in Cook's case 4 last fumbles last year and 2 the previous season IMO isn't the end of the world.  A bunch of the top prospects in this draft fumble too much -- hopefully that's fixed in the pros.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2017-nfl-draft-which-running-backs-raise-red-flags-as-potential-fumblers/

Edit:  I see Morneblade beat me to bringing the fumbling article up.  I talked about this the other day, too about Mixon.  But yeah I think so much attention has been put on Cook on that issue that it gets lost that he's not alone on it. 

27 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Mixon has issues too. He isn't as bad as Cook, but it's a issue.

One of the guys I like in the 2nd does as well, Alvin Kamara.

I'd love Cook or Kamara.  Still prefer someone on defense in both rounds.    I have to admit part of it is I'd hate to see either player in the NFC east.  I saw DJ's latest mock has Cook going to the Giants in the first -- I'd hate that.   As for McCaffrey, my issue with him is hard for me to dig taking a running back early who isn't a lead back who can carry the ball 20-25 times a game.   McCaffrey seems special out of the slot, and we already have a guy who is special out of the slot.

My favorite pick for now Reddick is building steam in mocks, I notice he was in Kiper's-McShay's mock today in both cases before #17.    If there is any merit to some of these mocks, seems like there is a fighting chance Foster drops to #17.

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd love Cook or Kamara.  Still prefer someone on defense in both rounds.    I have to admit part of it is I'd hate to see either player in the NFC east.  I saw DJ's latest mock has Cook going to the Giants in the first -- I'd hate that.   As for McCaffrey, my issue with him is hard for me to dig taking a running back early who isn't a lead back who can carry the ball 20-25 times a game.   McCaffrey seems special out of the slot, and we already have a guy who is special out of the slot.

My favorite pick for now Reddick is building steam in mocks, I notice he was in Kiper's-McShay's mock today in both cases before #17.    If there is any merit to some of these mocks, seems like there is a fighting chance Foster drops to #17.

I'm not high on McCaffrey. I've heard a lot of guys going nuts about him, so I decided to take a much harder look at him. And after going through the "highlight reel" stuff? I was left quite unimpressed. The most impressive things I saw were on kickoff/punt returns and a couple of receptions. But if you compare him to Cook, it's not even close. Cook is light years ahead of what I saw. So, I'm sticking to my original assessment, an over-hyped guy from Stanford.

And after going and looking at McDowell, and going over several scouting reports, I think he'll be fine @17. I don't think he will be as hard to motivate as I originally though. He is raw, but Tomsula is a great teacher, as well as a motivator. I think he'll be fine with us, and be a really good player.

I actually do see quite a few similarities between Cook's game and Mixon's game. Both have excellent vision and patience and great burst through seams. Both are also very good in the passing game. One thing I think Mixon tangibly has over Cook is size. Cook came in at 5'10 210 and I believe Mixon is 6'1 225 or so. Not a HUGE difference and not that Cook is too small, but that extra size is generally nice for longevity. And Mixon is just as fast as Cook (actually I think he ran a faster 40 in his pro day than Cook at the combine...not that 40s are the end all be all of course), though they both have really nice second gears.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd gladly take either Foster or Reddick at #17, SIP.  Here's my draft wish list all 7 rounds: 

1st round - Haason Reddick, ILB Temple
2nd round - Montravius Adams, NT Auburn
3rd round - Nate Peterman, QB Pittsburgh
4th round - Montae Nicholson, S Michigan State
4th round - Tyler Orlosky, OC WVU
5th round - De'Veon Smith, RB, Michigan
6th round - Tanzel Smart, DL 1 Technique, Tulane
6th round - Isaac Asiata, OG Utah
7th round - Caroll Phillips, EDGE rusher, Illinois
7th round - Zane Gonzalez, K Arizona State

I don't think mixon holds a candle to cook, the guy is a huge talent, moreso than mixon imo.

If we're in the business of drafting **** bags, grab the more talented blue chip one.

I'm really warming to the idea of cook in the first, and try to grab a dl who falls in the second or third. Brantley, Taylor, wormley, johnson, those are guys I'd target in the second or third. Then it you really want a nt, get big Steve late 4th early 5th.

The running game absolutely needs to be upgraded, i like Kelly but he was a non factor in all 7 of our losses, and way too often as a whole. (I know he didn't play during the first 2 losses) We averaged 58 ypg and  .14 rushing tds per game during those seven.. unacceptable.

Archived