Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

Right now, with that Zack Brown signing, it's opened up that 17th slot a bit. I'd be happy with a number of defensive positions here. DE or OLB would be my first choice, CB or S would be second. 2nd round if a really good offensive player, like a RB, WR or G drops, I might go that route, or stick with the defensive side of the ball. Still need help over there. NT is the biggest hole but I would wait until at least the third round for one. ILB is still something we need to keep on our radar too, as is WR.

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Interesting...  How many round 1 CB's do you think there are in this class? 

Hmmm...Lattimore, Quincy Wilson, Humphrey...I think Conley and White are borderline.

I would def. include Budda Baker if you consider him a CB...I would take Budda over any of the Corners....including Lattimore....Love me some Budda.

6 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Hmmm...Lattimore, Quincy Wilson, Humphrey...I think Conley and White are borderline.

I would def. include Budda Baker if you consider him a CB...I would take Budda over any of the Corners....including Lattimore....Love me some Budda.

I like Budda too, but I would draft those other guys at CB ahead of him.  I think BPA could easily be CB for us at 17, and I wouldn't be shocked at all if that was our pick.

4 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

I'd rather not trade back with our first round pick. I'd like to maximize the opportunity of nabbing a truly impact player there. Maaaaybe if one of the guys they really love just doesn't fall to them or someone blows them away in terms of compensation.  

2nd round and beyond? Absolutely. Would love if we can pick up an extra 3rd or 4th in particular. Similar to the 2014 draft, except with having a first rounder this time. That trade back with Dallas was excellent for us overall. Trent Murphy + Spencer Long > Demarcus Lawrence so far, it's not even close.  

I would agree, but I don't think there's a true impact player at #17.  It could happen, but I doubt the draft unfolds that way.  The most likely impact player to be around at #17 is a defensive back.  Depending on how the coaches/FO grades them, one of Humphrey, Baker, Conley, Lattimore, etc could be the closest that draft slot gets to an impact player.

It's not a "sexy" pick, but options are likely limited at #17.

1 hour ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Based on the current roster...

McCaffrey, Charles Harris, TJ Watt, Budda....And I'll keep Foster, Reddick and Jarrad Davis as options.

TJ Watt is so raw.  He's basically only played 1 season of college ball.  There's a lot of uncertainty with these prospects.

5 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I would agree, but I don't think there's a true impact player at #17.  It could happen, but I doubt the draft unfolds that way.  The most likely impact player to be around at #17 is a defensive back.  Depending on how the coaches/FO grades them, one of Humphrey, Baker, Conley, Lattimore, etc could be the closest that draft slot gets to an impact player.

At the moment when the pick is made maybe it'll seem that way. What most consider impact guys right now might not end up that way and what most consider "safe" picks or just solid prospects might end up much more than that. 

But I think, and this is totally captain obvious, if you look historically at the draft you have more of a chance at an impact player the higher you are in the first. It just lessens and lessens as you go on. 

I get the idea though. I also want a chance to hit on as many guys as we can, so more draft picks is the way to go. But it's the difference between maximizing the chances of finding a total stud versus finding numerous solid guys to me, you know? 

15 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

TJ Watt is so raw.  He's basically only played 1 season of college ball.  There's a lot of uncertainty with these prospects.

I give Watt bonus points for his last name....I believe in good genes....he apparently has a similar work ethic to JJ....he has leadership qualities and he plays hard......He would not be my first choice at 17....but he's an option.

Depending on how the first 16 picks go id like to trade back a few spots and see if we can get reddick later in the first and add another pick or two.  I really like his motor and athleticism, albeit a bit raw on tape and will have to adjust in the NFL to a new position. 

29 minutes ago, Morrison J said:

Budda Baker would be such a good fit here. Can man the slot where Fuller struggled so much last year on passing downs and play SS elsewhere. Would absolutely love him here. Top 10 player in this draft imo. 

In most drafts you might be right, but with Adams, Hooker and Peppers in there, he'll be late first, second round.

31 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

In most drafts you might be right, but with Adams, Hooker and Peppers in there, he'll be late first, second round.

The more I watch of the latter two the more overrated I feel they are. Very good players like but not the bonafide first round talents they're made about to be. Adams is the best safety prospect in a long while. Absolute sure thing. The other two I have questions about. Hooker really struggles in run support and Peppers' has his limitations due to his frame. Gets swarmed by blockers a lot and I dont think he can really be effective as a box safety. Lacks reps playing deep zone coverage too. I'm just not exactly sure on his fit. Both will be good starters, just not convinced they're the can't miss first rounders many have them billed as. 

Adams, Baker and Melifonwu are my top three personally. 

2 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

Depending on how the first 16 picks go id like to trade back a few spots and see if we can get reddick later in the first and add another pick or two.  I really like his motor and athleticism, albeit a bit raw on tape and will have to adjust in the NFL to a new position. 

If we drafted him he'd have a year to sit on the bench, learn the defense, come in on some sub packages as a pass rusher.  But largely would not gain experience as an ILB unless Zach Brown got hurt.  I'm guessing Brown and Reddick would play the same spot on our defense (the one Mason Foster did last season).

Reddick is raw and a risky transition pick, so having him sit might be a good thing.

Man, Dalvin Cook is so good on tape. Makes me wonder how he tested like he did. Was he nursing injuries after the season and wasn't able to train much? Also, I'm in the extremely tiny boat that thinks Matt Jones can perform as an above average RB. I understand we can get a good RB in mid-rounds, but if we have to roll with Kelley, Jones, and Thompson? I'm so okay with that. Barring a guy like Foster/Lattimore/Allen falling to us, there are a few names I'm thinking we are interested in at 17. 

1. Forrest Lamp- Yeah, I know Jay Gruden made fun of Scot for picking a guard at #5. But this guy is good, really good. He will be a pro bowl G or C it doesn't matter. At 17? This is great value.

2. Derek Barnett- The Redskins, statistically, were pretty good when it came to rushing the QB. And with a potentially 100% Junior Gallette, this may seem like a luxury. I don't care, give me more. Some draft media are souring on Barnett because his lack of athleticism/upper body strength. His production isn't a Trent Murphy case at Stanford, Barnett has the bend that teams covet in the NFL. I see him as a 3-4 EDGE guy that will play like Greg Hardy. Give me that. 

3. Quincy Wilson- The DB's in this draft class are very good, and it is deep. However, Wilson is a bulldog of a CB and worthy of a first round selection. Our DB coach knows him very well, and can utilize his prototypical size. His arm length helps him against jump balls and can control his WR more in and out of breaks. He is a fierce competitor when the ball is in the air, I absolutely love that about him. With his size, I want to see him in on more tackles. There are a few clips where it is absolutely miserable to watch him attempt to make a tackle. I wouldn't be surprised if Philly nabs him right in front of us. 

Of the three, which of you think would fit best?

I look at the current roster and see 5 positions where we are average or below average..

1) DL

2) Right OLB

3) Slot Corner

4) RB

5) LG

We have 5 picks in the first 4 rounds...if we can somehow address these 5 positions in the first 4 rounds, Bruce will get an A grade in my book for this off-season.

Zach Brown signed a 1 year deal. Terrell Pryor signed a 1 year deal. I love both signings and presume we'll have first shot at getting them both back ... but they both took the deals they did so they could "prove it" and make what they want next off-season. They want to get paid.

I love both signings ... but we must not let it sway our minds when it comes to drafting talent. If both leave next year, we'll be staring at holes again in those two spots. Not saying you reach for ILB or WR (particularly WR since we have depth there), and obviously both could be brought back next year ... but the draft should be BPA so that we just get talent no matter the position. I still hope we draft an ILB at some point if we see value.

Of course, the team could see Brown as a good stop-gap to allow the team to have more time to assess Daniels and Spaight for another year to see if they emerge as starter-caliber.

2 hours ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Man, Dalvin Cook is so good on tape. Makes me wonder how he tested like he did. Was he nursing injuries after the season and wasn't able to train much?

No idea, there's speculation his playing weight was below McCaffrey's and when he tried to bulk up for the combine, his body wasn't used to it.  That possibly matches up with rumors that some teams don't value him as an every down back.  He'd be best in a committee.  I don't want to spend a 1st rounder on a back that's destined for a committee.  That along with his medical issues and off field issues and we'll find out come draft day how much teams like him.

3 hours ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

1. Forrest Lamp- Yeah, I know Jay Gruden made fun of Scot for picking a guard at #5. But this guy is good, really good. He will be a pro bowl G or C it doesn't matter. At 17? This is great value.

2. Derek Barnett- The Redskins, statistically, were pretty good when it came to rushing the QB. And with a potentially 100% Junior Gallette, this may seem like a luxury. I don't care, give me more. Some draft media are souring on Barnett because his lack of athleticism/upper body strength. His production isn't a Trent Murphy case at Stanford, Barnett has the bend that teams covet in the NFL. I see him as a 3-4 EDGE guy that will play like Greg Hardy. Give me that. 

3. Quincy Wilson- The DB's in this draft class are very good, and it is deep. However, Wilson is a bulldog of a CB and worthy of a first round selection. Our DB coach knows him very well, and can utilize his prototypical size. His arm length helps him against jump balls and can control his WR more in and out of breaks. He is a fierce competitor when the ball is in the air, I absolutely love that about him. With his size, I want to see him in on more tackles. There are a few clips where it is absolutely miserable to watch him attempt to make a tackle. I wouldn't be surprised if Philly nabs him right in front of us.

1.  Lamp looks good, and he would be an upgrade over Shawn Lauvao, but it feels weird spending this much capital on Guards.  It would help us in 2018 though when Long, Nsekhe, and Moses are free agents, we could weather a loss there.

2.  Derek Barnett plays nothing like Greg Hardy, they have different body types.  Hardy was 20-25 lbs heavier with a 2 inch longer reach and more power.  Barnett produced in college because he was smart.  He'd see a college blocker make a mistake and he'd adjust and capitalize.  That won't happen as much in the pro's.  The only players I saw him flash physically against were when TE's were trying to block him.  I need to watch him try and bend the edge more, because honestly I don't remember that coming up in the film I saw much.

3.  Agreed on Wilson.  Physically he's what you want, but man does he look awkward against the run.  I have no idea what the pecking order is for the corners in this draft.  I suspect every team's big board of these corners is going to be different.

I'd say Lamp or Wilson.  But I'd rather trade down here. 

Who will contribute more than any other player on every down?  Who will make the biggest impact?  Who has the greatest separation between him and the next best player at his position?  Let's take LG.  LGs are important, but they don't carry, catch, or throw the ball, they generally operate in confined quarters (and if they pull, it's still a set course), and rarely do they operate in space downfield having to scan for someone to hit.  At a certain point, you kind of max out their utility.  How much better -- all other things equal -- is LG 1 who is 6'5/315 and runs a 5.15 - 40 v. LG 2 who runs a 4.8 - 40.  How often is #2 going to be using his blazing speed, and for what?  In contrast, while TEs do more blocking than WRs (even if they're receiving TE's and then are *supposed* to block), if you want to utilize a TE as a receiving threat, then, in general, the utility of speed doesn't really have an upper limit, unlike an OG.  However, if you can get a TE a round later who's speed deficit will rarely matter and is otherwise comparable to the earlier-round TE, why take the earlier-round TE when there's a guy, say a LB, who is sufficiently better than the next LB are likely to draft?  So what does Forrest Lamp offer in round 1 -- that makes a difference -- that Dion Dawkins doesn't in round 2?

The other thing is the split between philosophies of BPA ensures you have more higher-quality players on your team v. including strong considerations of need ensures you don't have a weak link (or, perhaps, a hole in the hull that sinks your ship).  Case in point:  SB XXII when Doug Williams demolished Denver's secondary.  Really, he demolished safety Tony Lilly who was utterly incapable of covering Ricky Sanders.  Monk and Clark combined for 4 for 95, 1 TD.  Sanders - 9 for 193 and 2 TDs.  It didn't matter where else they had that pure-BPA player (even QB, but I'd never pass on a potentially-great QB who fell into my draft lap), because John Elway could not overcome Lilly's deficiencies.  Now, I'm not saying pass up Barry Sanders for a good RT because your RT is some rookie named Conover (or whomever it was Charles Mann demolished that game), but you *have* to address fatal flaws.  So, for us (and before signing Zach Brown), that doesn't mean taking a 2nd round ILB in round at #17 because our ILBs are meh and suck, but it does mean that at some point you have to consider need.  If we're in round 3 (and again, before Z Brown), and there's an ILB who will go in the 4th if we don't take him and he's noticeably better than what's-his-name (i.e., different results), but there's a steal of a guy who should have gone in round 2 who plays a position he won't make a substantial impact at, then if you don't draft the ILB for need, you are simply asking for the same result -- our woefully inadequate ILBs get exposed over and over.  The Hall of Fame is packed with guys who never even got to taste *losing* a SB, let alone winning one.  Then there are teams who won SBs with a roster with no weak spots and maybe a borderline-middling HOF'er or two.  Build the team so that not only is your average player quality high, but you have no weak links.  Then get greedy and draft that pure BPA at a position of strength.

Anyway, gotta get back to work, but I got on a draft roll and couldn't stop.  This stuff is fun though.

Just now, Alcoholic Zebra said:

No idea, there's speculation his playing weight was below McCaffrey's and when he tried to bulk up for the combine, his body wasn't used to it.  That possibly matches up with rumors that some teams don't value him as an every down back.  He'd be best in a committee.  I don't want to spend a 1st rounder on a back that's destined for a committee.  That along with his medical issues and off field issues and we'll find out come draft day how much teams like him.

1.  Lamp looks good, and he would be an upgrade over Shawn Lauvao, but it feels weird spending this much capital on Guards.  It would help us in 2018 though when Long, Nsekhe, and Moses are free agents, we could weather a loss there.

2.  Derek Barnett plays nothing like Greg Hardy, they have different body types.  Hardy was 20-25 lbs heavier with a 2 inch longer reach and more power.  Barnett produced in college because he was smart.  He'd see a college blocker make a mistake and he'd adjust and capitalize.  That won't happen as much in the pro's.  The only players I saw him flash physically against were when TE's were trying to block him.  I need to watch him try and bend the edge more, because honestly I don't remember that coming up in the film I saw much.

3.  Agreed on Wilson.  Physically he's what you want, but man does he look awkward against the run.  I have no idea what the pecking order is for the corners in this draft.  I suspect every team's big board of these corners is going to be different.

I'd say Lamp or Wilson.  But I'd rather trade down here. 

If I think back to the Giant game and saw KC running for his life I would go with Lamp at 17. Our running game was weak so a upgrade at LG would help. Adding a running game would help our all around better team. I was against drafting a Guard at 5 but 17 is where the real good ones get drafted. I do not think Lamp will be there at 17 as the Colts draft before us and their #1 priority is protection for Luck. Then I look at the Pats who in the last 17 years drafted Defense with all their 1st round picks except 1.

Archived