Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

20 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So a team shouldn't go defense in the mid 1st round unless a once in a generation player happens to fall to them?

That is a.....special.....opinion.

Comon Tim ... you know the Draft is a crap chute ... especially for Defensive players like fatty lineman in the 1st round.

Remember Kenard Lang ... or are you too young?

6 minutes ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Comon Tim ... you know the Draft is a crap chute ... especially for Defensive players like fatty lineman in the 1st round.

Remember Kenard Lang ... or are you too young?

I agree with your first point...but not your second. Offensive players in the draft are just as much of a toss up as any defensive player.

29 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Nonetheless, you just shifted the argument.  I'm assuming this means you can't list what I asked for?

Teams with HOF QBs usually have good defensive stats ... other ... weaker ... Teams always have to chase. 

My Drafting strategy generally sound ...

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Offensive players in the draft are just as much of a toss up as any defensive player.

Less so ... not just as ...

Follow the Rules and Skins will come out with a good selection THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Teams with HOF QBs usually have good defensive stats ... other ... weaker ... Teams always have to chase. 

My Drafting strategy generally sound ...

Less so ... not just as ...

Not sure how you can claim your drafting strategy is generally sound if you can't provide at least one example of a successful franchise following you strategy.

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Not sure how you can claim your drafting strategy is generally sound if you can't provide at least one example of a successful franchise following you strategy.

Successful Teams do not need a Drafting strategy ... they use Draft for filler ...

I'm talking about Skins and this year's talent pool.

Your request for precedent is meaningless and argumentative!

Focus!!

6 minutes ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Successful Teams do not need a Drafting strategy ... they use Draft for filler ...

I'm talking about Skins and this year's talent pool.

Your request for precedent is meaningless and argumentative!

Focus!!

:ols: Got a laugh out of this.

46 minutes ago, nemocystem said:

... If Foster falls, etc.

Don't think Foster will get by Cincy at # 9 ... and signing of ZB makes it less important to address this "need" in 1st round.

Sure there are other WRs in later rounds ... but Ross and Davis are special enough to grab either at 17.  Might even convince KC to take a few million less LOL!

I like Obi M. but I think he is a 2nd rounder ... raw and has long skinny legs ... will not be a good-enough CB ... must play safety IMO.  

I have heard that Jonathan Allen has a shoulder problem.  I saw one mock draft that had him dropping to #17 and being picked by us.  That would be a perfect pick for us.  However, there is no way he will drop unless the shoulder really is a big concern.  Will someone get the rumor mill started so that he drops?

8 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

Here is a question for all you guys out there.  If we happened to draft Malik Hooker, would you buy his jersey for your wife/girlfriend?  My wife would never wear it, but it would be funny.

Well, the term "hooker" (aka, strumpet or doxy for our British friends) did come from the last name Hooker -- a Civil War general.

4 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

Here is a question for all you guys out there.  If we happened to draft Malik Hooker, would you buy his jersey for your wife/girlfriend?  My wife would never wear it, but it would be funny.

That's hilarious!!  We think alike man!  i would definitely do that and try to get my wife to wear it, but only at the house..

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Panthers, Broncos and Redskins "loom" for Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey.

McCaffrey to the Panthers at No. 8 has been the rumor du jour the past few days, while he was previously linked to the Broncos at No. 20. The Redskins at No. 17 are new. There have been multiple recent reports that McCaffrey could go in the top 10, but it still seems a little far-fetched. There's no question all three teams badly need running back help.

Not really news, but w/e, it's a slow day.

4 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I don't buy that.  McCloughan has a long track record of undervaluing DL guys.  His teams have rarely drafted a DT before Day 3.

I buy it 100%, he flat out told me he had a guy in his sights in round two for D line in 2016 but was taken before their pick.  He told me he's studying D line hard for 2017.  He even lit up when I mentioned was it tempting to trade for Richardson when he was on the market.  Finley, Chris Russell, Laconfora all said they talked to Scot while he was here and he emphasized D line.  Scot practically has a billboard cooking in neon lights on the need for D line.  Now do they still see it that way with him gone -- don't know.

2 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

As of right now, my top 5 at #17 based on realistic chance the player will be there...

1) McCaffrey

2) Foster

3) Reddick

4) Jarrad Davis

5) Can't decide between...Takk/Harris/Watt and Budda

I like all of these guys -- I have a hard time though with McCaffrey seeing how he fits considering C. Thompson and Crowder.  But if Jay thinks he does, good enough for me.

4 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I am curious about Chris Wormley playing inside, but I'd like to see tape of him doing that before I'm willing to say he'd be worth a Day 2 pick.  He was largely invisible as an Edge guy.  He's athletic, but doesn't seem comfortable playing in space, he didn't really "attack" at any point.  Always hesitant.

The odd thing for me about Wormley is people talk up Brantley and McDowell as guys who can pressure the QB -- but Wormley is the one of the three who actually had good sacks numbers -- not them.   

Wormley has some big draft geek supporters -- he seems consistently a 2nd rounder in most mocks.  And draft geeks I respect like Dane Brugler rank Wormley ahead of Brantley.  

Wormley has freakish athletic measurables (similar to Malik McDowell, actually a hair quicker than him), has better sack numbers as I mentioned compared to others in this draft.  He actually has the wingspan-arms of a good 5 technique player versus Brantley for example who has short arms-wingspan.    And he has that Jarrad Davis style personality -- leader.

Yeah I mentioned myself you got to project him inside from film of him playing the edge.  But he has the build and speed and size that's way more suited to being a 5 technique than a defensive end in a 4-3.  Is he a guy to pursue in the 2nd?  I don't know but the dude stands out on some metrics especially compared to Brantley. 

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I buy it 100%, he flat out told me he had a guy in his sights in round two for D line in 2016 but was taken before their pick.  He told me he's studying D line hard for 2017 but to keep that in the room.  He even lit up when I mentioned was it tempting to trade for Richardson when he was on the market.  Finley, Chris Russell, Laconfora all said they talked to Scot while he was here and he emphasized D line.  Scot practically has a billboard cooking in neon lights on the need for D line.  Now do they still see it that way with him gone -- don't know.

I like all of these guys -- I have a hard time though with McCaffrey seeing how he fits considering C. Thompson and Crowder.  But if Jay thinks he does, good enough for me.

I will be sick to my stomach if we use a first on McCafffrey.  If he was a workhorse or every down back I would only be marginally disappointed.  I'd still have my reservations but I can understand not passing on an impact offensive player.    

With all the holes on D I refuse to believe that there was NOBODY at 17 that would upgrade our D.  At this point I don't care if defensive player X is not worth a high draft pick.  We could stand to upgrade at several positions on the defensive side of the ball.  Maybe not some stud defensive player, just better than what we have now.  Shoot I'd rather take a chance on black jack McDowell at 17 than any offensive player.  

My ideal draft would start with the first pick being any defensive player then a RB in the second.  I don't care what happens after that because I will be too busy striking up the band. HTTR! 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I buy it 100%, he flat out told me he had a guy in his sights in round two for D line in 2016 but was taken before their pick.  He told me he's studying D line hard for 2017.  He even lit up when I mentioned was it tempting to trade for Richardson when he was on the market.  Finley, Chris Russell, Laconfora all said they talked to Scot while he was here and he emphasized D line.  Scot practically has a billboard cooking in neon lights on the need for D line.  Now do they still see it that way with him gone -- don't know.

I remember that convo.  We sort of came to the conclusion he was talking about Chris Jones.  Which backs up the thought that he undervalues DL, since Jones should've gone about 10 picks higher to the late 1st.  Thinking he'd make it all the way to pick #54 (or whatever it was) seems unrealistic, unless he honestly undervalues DL skills.

25 minutes ago, pray4surf said:

With all the holes on D I refuse to believe that there was NOBODY at 17 that would upgrade our D.  At this point I don't care if defensive player X is not worth a high draft pick.  We could stand to upgrade at several positions on the defensive side of the ball.  Maybe not some stud defensive player, just better than what we have now.  Shoot I'd rather take a chance on black jack McDowell at 17 than any offensive player. 

Would you be happy with a cornerback?   It's possible that the only good value on defense at #17 is a corner.

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I remember that convo.  We sort of came to the conclusion he was talking about Chris Jones.  Which backs up the thought that he undervalues DL, since Jones should've gone about 10 picks higher to the late 1st.  Thinking he'd make it all the way to pick #54 (or whatever it was) seems unrealistic, unless he honestly undervalues DL skills.

I think it was Jarran Reed, which is why Seattle traded up ahead of us to get him.

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I think it was Jarran Reed, which is why Seattle traded up ahead of us to get him.

That's possible.  I liked Jarran Reed a lot.  Haven't watched enough of Dalvin Tomlinson this year to compare the two.  But Tomlinson is in the same vein.  Tomlinson actually had more tackles than Reed did his senior year, and Reed had a lot.

56 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The odd thing for me about Wormley is people talk up Brantley and McDowell as guys who can pressure the QB -- but Wormley is the one of the three who actually had good sacks numbers -- not them.   

Wormley has freakish athletic measurables (similar to Malik McDowell, actually a hair quicker than him), has better sack numbers as I mentioned compared to others in this draft.  He actually has the wingspan-arms of a good 5 technique player versus Brantley for example who has short arms-wingspan.    And he has that Jarrad Davis style personality -- leader.

Yeah I mentioned myself you got to project him inside from film of him playing the edge.  But he has the build and speed and size that's way more suited to being a 5 technique than a defensive end in a 4-3.  Is he a guy to pursue in the 2nd?  I don't know but the dude stands out on some metrics especially compared to Brantley.

Yeah, it's hard to get a gauge on his value.  He kind of strikes me as a slightly longer Trent Murphy with an extra 45 lbs.  Trent Murphy had a really good combine as well, and also feasted on a lot of cleanup sacks in college.  Which can be a good thing as he's usually near the ball and in position to make a play.  Probably better from a DT that that's the trait instead of an Edge.

Wormley is practically in the exact same spot for me as McDowell, for different reasons obviously, where i wouldn't be upset with the pick as long as we trade back a few, or we can land him at 49.

I've gotta say....i really like Carlos Watkins as a 3rd rounder.  I think he's going to be an impact player right away, & i think he can move around the front 3/4.  If we got Watkins, i would like to supplant him with another pick along the DL...perhaps a more traditional NT, later on (or perhaps earlier)...but i kinda feel that way about any DL prospect not named Garrett/Allen/Thomas.

Btw...some personal horn-tooting here...

I believe i said waaaay earlier in this thread that Thomas would never fall to 17, & frankly...i would be surprised if Thomas didn't slide ahead of Allen.  Not alone on this...but it wasn't a popular opinion at the time.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I don't feel like rehashing that conversation -- but yeah don't see how a guess that it might have been Chris Jones meant Scot undervalues the position.  D line came up 4 different ways in that Scot conversation and it wasn't hard for me to see he knew that he made one major mistake in the last off season and that was the D line.  It was the only thing he was defensive about and he brought it up to me voluntarily.  It came off the 100% opposite of him undervaluing the position -- it came off like he knows the hype about him was that he was about building BOTH the offensive line and defensive line and he's only accomplished one of those feats -- but rest assured he's on it.

Keim in an article I posted here said he was told they'd go D line in multiple rounds awhile back -- I presume that was the Scot version of the FO -- 3 other reporters said Scot/FO source told them D line EARLY in the draft.  That's a lot to take in and sum up that he's undervaluing the position. 

Clearly Calais Campbell was #1 on his FA shopping list.  He's the same dude that broke the bank for J. Smith when he was in SF.  Yeah I don't think he undervalues D line, its simply that he's a strict BPA guy and won't force a pick.     

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If we drafted McCaffrey, I would trade Thompson...probably could get a 5th or 6th rd pick from him.

McCaffrey is getting lots of hype now...probably doesn't get past Philly at #14......I can't believe people would be upset if we drafted him....the dude is a GREAT player...I've watched Stanford quite a few times....He can run inside and out...great patience....plus he's a great receiver and kick returner......and has great character.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Would you be happy with a cornerback?   It's possible that the only good value on defense at #17 is a corner.

I'm okay with that.  Norman turns turn 30 this year, don't know if Breeland bounces back and Fuller has not played enough and still questionable as a starter IMO.  

Archived