Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah...I'm off the Cook bandwagon. Just pick up a guy in the 2nd or 3rd. There are always backs available then.

Cook was sorta off my radar in general due to the fumbling issues. But the off the field issues mean I wouldn't even consider him.

I'm thinking the Skins should trade out of this position. Seriously wouldn't be upset if they pulled Taco Charlton in that spot, asked him to gain 13lbs and play some DE. Regardless, this investment needs to be upfront. If the Skins can have a penetrating front line, their skilled LB's could turn into sack machines.

11 hours ago, saltydog75 said:

Love the Reddick pick.  Biggest area of need for us.

OK with the Kamara pick.  Decent value.  Still think 2nd round would be better used on defense, but if he turns into the next Leveon Bell, that'd be great.

Like the Johnson pick.  Good spot to draft OL.  Really depends on how they feel about Kouandjio. If they project him as a starter, could be a bit early for another G.

Like the Basham pick.  Maybe could go with more of a pure pass rusher but he's a well-rounded guy who could turn into a starter.

Love the Peterman pick.  I wish we'd already signed Kirk long-term but there's no guarantee we will.  Sudfeld probably isn't the answer. Better to draft a guy here and let him sit a year under Kirk.

OK with the Taylor pick.  I really think this position should be addressed higher. We need a future starter, not more of a rotational space filler.

Like the Orlosky pick. We need to draft a C, and this is the right spot. Long's only under contract for another year.  Need to prepare for that.  I would prefer more of a G/C hybrid guy so he can either stay at C or shift to G if we keep Long around.

Meh on the Phillips pick.  If he's a good special teamer, maybe.  Otherwise, 3 LBs in one draft?  Seems excessive.

Like the Magnuson pick. Versatile backup OL is always good.

Love the Griffin pick, although I'd like to see CB addressed earlier.

Overall: just don't like using the second rounder on a RB.  Feels like DL or CB would be a better move.  Also feels like a G in the third is too early.  I think I'd rather go CB/OL in the 2nd and 3rd and OG/RB in the 5th and 7th.  Would prefer more of a G/C hybrid to a pure C.  Also, we need a WR.  Pryor, Quick, and Grant's contracts are all up after this year.  My re-do would be something like:

1: Reddick

2) CB

3) DL

4) Basham

4) Peterman

5) G/C hybrid

6) WR

6) S who can play ST

7) Magnuson

7) Griffin

Thanks for the feedback. 

Seven round mock results on another board.

One trade: traded up 13 spots in round 3 with Jacksonville getting 3.04, giving them 3.17 and 4.16.  we are at top of round 6 now

1 17 Washington Redskins Dcat Corey Davis Western Michigan WR    
2 17 Washington Redskins Dcat T.J. Watt Wisconsin OLB    
3 4 Washington Redskins Dcat Desmond King Iowa FS   from Jacksonville
4 7 Washington Redskins Dcat Dalvin Tomlinson Alabama DT   from Jets
5 10 Washington Redskins Dcat James Conner Pittsburgh RB   from Saints
6 17 Washington Redskins Dcat          
6 25 Washington Redskins Dcat         from Texans
7 2 Washington Redskins Dcat         from 49ers
7 17 Washington Redskins Dcat          

I ran to the podium for Corey Davis and Watt.  Yeah I know you drafted Doctson in round 1 last year and I know you got Pryor on a one-year show me deal and maybe he plays well enough to stay more than a year but Davis and Doctsun together would be deadly.  And if for some reason Doctsun doesn't get over the injury or Pryor doesn't show enough, the Skins have the best WR in this draft, IMO. The next 5 picks right after Davis were Ross, McCaffrey, Reddick, Cunningham and McKinnley. So you can see what was out there. There were a lot of good CBs still on the board when I picked Conner, who I really like.  But they have been flying off the board.  like?  no-like? 

We need to find some trades in the draft to add more picks in the 2nd-4th round range. Add our 5th and one of the 6th to jump back into the 4th, maybe even both 6ths to get another in the 5th.

Love the fact we have a stack of picks, need to convert them into the areas of the draft where we can hit on some real solid players, fair bit of talent is going to drift into the 3rd/4th rounds.

Fellas, 

I don't post much because I don't have specific info on players.  I'm not good at breaking down film etc. etc. but I love the draft and the whole team building process and definitely geek out over it more than a 37 year old Dad of 2 young kids probably should.  I read this thread every year so definitely have my ideas on who Skins should draft.  With that said, I feel compelled to mention this player as a VCU alum myself.  Has anyone heard of basketball player Mo Alie-Cox?  He is a big, strong kid who is trying to get on as a tight end.

I really hope we draft him in the later rounds.  That would be really cool and I also think he could be good.  The guy is huge and very athletic.  

Also think/hope we draft that d lineman out of ODU?  I think his last name is Coward or something.  

Thoughts??

6 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

We need to find some trades in the draft to add more picks in the 2nd-4th round range. Add our 5th and one of the 6th to jump back into the 4th, maybe even both 6ths to get another in the 5th.

Love the fact we have a stack of picks, need to convert them into the areas of the draft where we can hit on some real solid players, fair bit of talent is going to drift into the 3rd/4th rounds.

Three 4th rounders in this draft would be great. And I agree, the more picks in the meat of this class (2-4th rd) the better.

I'd be all over a trade down in the first to pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd, as well as trading back into the 4th

1 hour ago, Sea Donkey said:

Fellas, 

I don't post much because I don't have specific info on players.  I'm not good at breaking down film etc. etc. but I love the draft and the whole team building process and definitely geek out over it more than a 37 year old Dad of 2 young kids probably should.  I read this thread every year so definitely have my ideas on who Skins should draft.  With that said, I feel compelled to mention this player as a VCU alum myself.  Has anyone heard of basketball player Mo Alie-Cox?  He is a big, strong kid who is trying to get on as a tight end.

I really hope we draft him in the later rounds.  That would be really cool and I also think he could be good.  The guy is huge and very athletic.  

Also think/hope we draft that d lineman out of ODU?  I think his last name is Coward or something.  

Thoughts??

Just to repeat this back to you...you are advocating the Redskins using two of their draft picks on a basketball player from VCU who wants to be a TE, in a draft FULL of actual, talented TE's and a DL from a school who has only had a D1 program (also in VA) in a draft that is FULL of DL talent.  I mean kudos to you for being a total state of Virginia homer but words cannot express how much I hope this does not happen.  Now, UDFA pickups?  Sure...but not draft picks.  

I am of the opinion that  RB can be found in latter rounds.  I mean this is why org pay scouts.  I really like Foster, I mean he is a thumper, and he will lay you out.  You need that from your ILB. 

Just a thought, would anyone consider moving up for him or not good enough to.  Again just a thought.  I personally would think about, of course considering that cost. 

I think he can be a very special player, very special. 

I know we have to many holes to consider moving up, but does a stud ILB make the whole defense better.  I remember A. Pierce that year he broke out, we were stout on defence.  I just do not like Cook (And I watch every FSU game) or McCaffery with so many issues regarding this defence.  I would not draft any other ILB other than Foster. 

IDK pulling hair out......................................................................................................

13 hours ago, Rocky52Mc said:

I'm thinking the Skins should trade out of this position. Seriously wouldn't be upset if they pulled Taco Charlton in that spot, asked him to gain 13lbs and play some DE. Regardless, this investment needs to be upfront. If the Skins can have a penetrating front line, their skilled LB's could turn into sack machines.

No thanks. I'm sick and tired of drafting guys who are good at one position and then asking them to play another. We've been doing it for years, since literally the Lavar Arrington era.

My take at the moment -- pass rusher in the first with a preference for a speed rusher.   Hasson Reddick or Takkarist McKinley (though doubt Bruce has the patience to let him heal the shoulder injury).  Derek Barnett isn't a speed guy but he has quick hands, has a variety of moves -- so he intrigues IMO. 

I don't think  Charles Harris, TJ Watt, Carl Lawson last to the 2nd round pick.  

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/30750/t-j-watts-visit-speaks-to-redskins-desire-for-improved-pass-rush

Adding another pass-rusher would allow for versatility. If they draft a pass-rusher, they could always slide Preston Smith or Trent Murphy inside on obvious passing downs, for example. Or if they bring in a linebacker with versatility, the Redskins could align him in various places to help provide more defensive looks.

Here’s why the team wants more help in this area:

Third-down defense. Improving here is a focus at Redskins Park. Washington allowed a staggering 46.6 percent to be converted. The Redskins run defense absolutely must improve, but it’s not as if they were in third-and-short all the time. Of their 208 third-down snaps, 107 occurred when the opposition needed at least 7 yards. Yet opponents converted a staggering 38.3 percent of those tries. That’ll kill many a game (or season).

The Redskins' issues stem from a variety of reasons, including coverages -- both why they were played or how. They hired a new coordinator (Greg Manusky) and a new secondary coach (Torrian Gray) to help. But the problem also stemmed from an inadequate pass rush.

Depth. Outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan recorded 11 sacks and has 34 over the last three years. He’s consistent and productive. But the Redskins need more. Murphy recorded nine sacks, but he’ll be suspended for the first four games. Smith did not develop enough in his second season, and too often a good game was followed by quiet ones. He needs to continue working on a consistent approach. They have Junior Galette, too. But he’s returning after missing two seasons after Achilles injuries to both feet. There’s no guarantee he’ll be the same player. And backup Houston Bates tore his ACL on Dec. 19.

Therefore, the Redskins could use more bodies at this spot. It's like pitching in baseball; you never have enough. Seattle once upon a time was knocked for drafting or signing multiple pass-rushers -- until it led to the Seahawks becoming a top defense. In a league in which teams attempted nearly 5,000 more passes than runs, the desire remains strong to find more players to impact the pass defense.

TJ Watt is intriguing to me....reminds me of Clay Matthews.....can play inside and out....comes from good genes...

After listening to Gruden, I'm convinced we're not drafting a D-Lineman in the first 3 rounds unless he's clearly the best player on the board.....If a Caleb Brantley type falls to the 2nd round.....I get the sense they believe Tomsula can coach up some of these guys.

Back to Watt...I would still take Reddick over him, but if we can't trade down, I would not be unhappy with Watt at 17.

Having said that...I hope we draft...

2 - DL

1 - OLB

1 - ILB

1 - CB or S

1 - RB

1 - OL

1- WR

2 - Miscellaneous

I'm not really understanding the Reddick thing. Sure he is a really good player and a great athlete but where will you put him? I see people saying ILB but we don't know how he would adapt to that. It's one thing to take a guy who played something like 4-3 OLB in college and move him inside but its another to take a guy who was pretty much a full time 4-3 DE and move him to 3-4 ILB. Obviously there's no way he could play DE in the NFL, and I think he's also too small to be a full time rush OLB. He also didn't do very well when he was on the right side and he wasn't lined up across from the RT: only 11 pressures in 115 rushes from the right side. We already have a tweener jack of all trades guy we can move around in Cravens. Just seems like giving up a 1st round pick for him would be silly, especially if there are top notch DL or true ILBs there when we're on the board.

43 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm not really understanding the Reddick thing. Sure he is a really good player and a great athlete but where will you put him? I see people saying ILB but we don't know how he would adapt to that. It's one thing to take a guy who played something like 4-3 OLB in college and move him inside but its another to take a guy who was pretty much a full time 4-3 DE and move him to 3-4 ILB. Obviously there's no way he could play DE in the NFL, and I think he's also too small to be a full time rush OLB. He also didn't do very well when he was on the right side and he wasn't lined up across from the RT: only 11 pressures in 115 rushes from the right side. We already have a tweener jack of all trades guy we can move around in Cravens. Just seems like giving up a 1st round pick for him would be silly, especially if there are top notch DL or true ILBs there when we're on the board.

He practiced and played ILB at the Senior Bowl and did well...I know that's not a lot...he has the size and speed to play ILB...and I think you can use him as a rusher on passing downs.

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

@Skinsinparadise pretty sure we talked on Takk weeks back. Would be a great pick. I do agree though, 6 months out isn't the greatest selling point got out FO on the back of Doctsons year off. Maybe after a trade back for an extra 2nd or 3rd.

Yeah I among others spent time on him even before that.  I'd still go Reddick but if he's gone IMO McKinley is one of the rare bonafide speed rushers in this draft with actual speed -- versus just being a quick first step rusher.   Not sure McKinley could be had in a trade back one way or another -- he's hard to get a handle on in terms of buzz on his value, he is all over the place in mocks, I've seen him top 15, even top 10, also seen him in the late first.   Kiper had him going #9 in his latest mock.

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I among others spent time on him even before that.  I'd still go Reddick but if he's gone IMO McKinley is one of the rare bonafide speed rushers in this draft with actual speed -- versus just being a quick first step rusher.   Not sure McKinley could be had in a trade back one way or another -- he's hard to get a handle on in terms of buzz on his value, he is all over the place in mocks, I've seen him top 15, even top 10, also seen him in the late first.   Kiper had him going #9 in his latest mock.

SIP, I go Foster at #17 if he falls, then Reddick if Foster is gone and if both are gone, I trade back and hope T.J. Watt is there and go with him.  I still think ILB/LB is the weakest position on this team that needs to be addressed.

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

I'm not really understanding the Reddick thing. We already have a tweener jack of all trades guy we can move around in Cravens. Just seems like giving up a 1st round pick for him would be silly, especially if there are top notch DL or true ILBs there when we're on the board.

Agree, on the top notch DL in theory but I don't see what player that would be?  Malik McDowell is a wild card -- boom-bust player.  Brantley maybe.  But there doesn't seem to be a slam dunk choice.  As for MLB, Foster is likely gone.  Maybe I'd consider J. Davis though it seems a bit early for him.

To me, Reddick would be a novelty for this team.   Tough for me to recall the last speed edge rusher we've had.  Chris Clemons maybe?  Though think Reddick is better suited over the long haul at MLB.  And he's better suited to making that conversion than Cravens.  He's bigger and faster than Cravens and by a good margin.  Reddick has some background as a DB so apparently he can cover.

What gets me on Reddick is listening to Manusky and others talk about his scheme.   Apparently he likes the pressure coming from the edges and at times from the middle linebackers.   We need a speed rusher IMO to complement the power rushers.  And who is going to get to the QB right now on the blitz from up the middle, Compton?  Doubt it.

You can move Reddick from OLB to MLB -- and he'd be a nice toy to confuse offenses with as for where and when the pressure is coming from.  Manusky tried to do something similar with Cravens on blitzes last season but Reddick seems much more equipped to get it done.  Reddick is an accomplished pass rusher, Cravens isn't.  

I don't see Reddick as a risky pick because worse case scenario he's a third down situational pass rusher.  And IMO we need a guy like that.

looks like better coming from the left

Best pass-rusher from the left: Derek Barnett, Tennessee Hasson Reddick, Temple

Archived