Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Star Wars Rogue One Thread

DM72

59 minutes ago, Larry said:

Maybe it's just me, because I was really looking for it, but I thought some scenes of Tarkin looked like animation from a video game. 

I think I would have preferred it if the main plot was more spy movie, more infiltration and sneaking and lone operatives, and less huge fleet battles. Think I would have liked more of Darth Vader, badass, too. 

I just got home from my screening, too tired for a complete review, but on that point I will say that we get just enough of Vader, badass for him not to overshadow the movie. Every scene he is  in, every time he appeared on screen there was that next level hush over the theater as if everyone knew "Ok, everyone be even quieter now because business is about to pick up"  By the time the movie ends we get something we've been waiting for every since the disappointment of the prequels.  They did it in a "wet the appetite" fashion instead of overindulging, which would have been a very easy thing to succumb to, and I can't honestly say I'd have been not okay with it because.....DARTH F'N VADER!

Otherwise, to briefly sum it up.  It was damn good, it felt completely relevant to the overall saga, and while it is a "stand alone" movie, it feels like it belongs due to the specific story/mission of the movie.  I still don't have good feelings about the stand alone installments coming that are just based on single characters which will probably feel more like actual side-story movies. 

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

Otherwise, to briefly sum it up.  It was damn good, it felt completely relevant to the overall saga, and while it is a "stand alone" movie, it feels like it belongs due to the specific story/mission of the movie.  I still don't have good feelings about the stand alone installments coming that are just based on single characters which will probably feel more like actual side-story movies. 

Granted, I've heard nothing about any other standalone movies.  

But I have to once again point out that, after Star Wars, when Lucas was looking for spinoff money, he allowed Brian Daly to write three books based around what I describe as "Han Solo, Space Bum".  And I thought they were good, mindless, entertainment.  

And I wouldn't mind if they created an entire freaking series around Han and Chewie (or Lando, for that matter) drifting around the Galaxy and "avoiding Imperial entanglements".  No big Imperial or Rebellion story lines.  Just "I'm in it for the money".  

Heck, would a Han Solo origin movie be a good idea?  

(Yeah, I could certainly see the argument that hiring anybody to play Han Solo might really blow up in somebody's face.  But still.)  

9 minutes ago, Larry said:

Granted, I've heard nothing about any other standalone movies.  

But I have to once again point out that, after Star Wars, when Lucas was looking for spinoff money, he allowed Brian Daly to write three books based around what I describe as "Han Solo, Space Bum".  And I thought they were good, mindless, entertainment.  

And I wouldn't mind if they created an entire freaking series around Han and Chewie (or Lando, for that matter) drifting around the Galaxy and "avoiding Imperial entanglements".  No big Imperial or Rebellion story lines.  Just "I'm in it for the money".  

Heck, would a Han Solo origin movie be a good idea?  

(Yeah, I could certainly see the argument that hiring anybody to play Han Solo might really blow up in somebody's face.  But still.)  

I believe currently in the works are Han Solo and Boba Fett stand alones.

Agreed on Vader. They used him enough to keep the audience satisfied but he wasn't there as a main character. There were kind of loose references to the original movies but it also paved it's own way story wise. This was about gyn and her friends. This was their story and Vader and other such Easter eggs didn't really distract the audience from the main theme of gyn and company. 

Compared to episode seven where all the original cast reprised their roles. And there's nothing wrong with that too. That was a different circumstance and story. 

I'm not looking forward to the Han Solo movie. Harrison Ford is Han Solo.  End of story.  There are so many other areas that Disney could look into.  An Obi Wan story would have made more sense (Ewan McGregor was perfect and he would be able to play the character again).  But Solo is Ford and I'm just not interested in seeming some other guy play the character.

Disney will ruin Star Wars.  They will oversaturate everyone with it.  Last night was the first time I've ever seen a SW movie at the first showing that wasn't sold out.  If we are getting SW movies every year now, they will become less of an event.  

As for Rogue One. I loved it way more than TFA.  It felt like SW where as TFA to me, just felt like fan service.  After watching Rogue One, I wanted to know more about certain places (Not trying to spoil) and got to see a place that I had seen pictures of when I was just a kid and always wanted to see.  It just really fit in. Its a side story because it isn't about the Skywalkers.  It really makes me look at A New Hope under a new light.  Cant wait to see it again tomorrow.

It honestly felt like the director was a diehard geek SW fan just like me who wants to know all the little backstories and such.  

I took my boys (9 and 12) to the 7 O'clock show last night.  It was a surprise for them (both Star Wars nuts).  I enjoyed every minute of it and only had minor complaints (and by minor, it was more like Vaders voice not sounding right).  The boys loved it, but left with mixed reviews.  My 12 year old told me that it was his favorite Star Wars movie because of the battle scenes towards the end (Vader!).  My 9 year old loved the movie, but left telling me that he now HATED Vader because of how evil he and the Empire were (that put a smile on my face, because to me, that was the best part!).

Personally, I cant wait to watch this again and then go home and watch A New Hope. Although the ending felt rushed,  I feel that Rogue One filled the gap perfectly and couldn't have transitioned better into EP4.

I saw it last night and thought overall it was pretty good.  The ending and how they tied into ANH was surprising.  I kept waiting for the movie to cut and it kept going.  It was nice seeing Vadar back on the big screen being a badass and not just screaming Noooooo!

It was really good. It was kind of hard for me to watch because I love the original films so much and was constantly pulled out of the movie thinking "How is this leading into A New Hope?" or "That's really cool!" (on seeing a character/ship/bit of trivia that leads into the original Star Wars). Overall though, it is a great war/heist film! The cast is excellent, the action is exciting and fast, they introduce us to new worlds and expand old ones. They give us new heroes & villains and show us how great some of the old ones really were.  My biggest complaint was that the score was not as epic as the original movie.There's some great spectacle that really should be enjoyed on the big screen. I highly recommend seeing this in the theater, even if you're not a big SW fan (it's a great stand-alone movie).

4 hours ago, codeorama said:

I'm not looking forward to the Han Solo movie. Harrison Ford is Han Solo.  End of story.  There are so many other areas that Disney could look into.  An Obi Wan story would have made more sense (Ewan McGregor was perfect and he would be able to play the character again).  But Solo is Ford and I'm just not interested in seeming some other guy play the character.

I am not interested in this movie either. I don't need to see what Han was up to, his mysterious past and all the trouble it's hinted at that he was up to is part of what I like about his character. Also, I doubt his character in a prequel will be more of a pre-ANH Han where he is that "bad guy" until he gets caught up in the rebellion. Probably will come across as just young hijinx and more like his good guy ROTJ character whis only further cheapens him. Also, it's not Ford. 

Has there ever been a legendary/iconic character played by an iconic actor that was played by someone else and it ever worked out? The only example i can think of is De Niro playing a young Brando's Vito Corleone in the Godfather Part II. 

4 hours ago, codeorama said:

Disney will ruin Star Wars.  They will oversaturate everyone with it.  Last night was the first time I've ever seen a SW movie at the first showing that wasn't sold out.  If we are getting SW movies every year now, they will become less of an event.  

I agree that Disney will Marvelize Star Wars and it won't be an event or as special. Annual releases will just cause fatigue and I think eventually the quality will dip. I loved TFA and am looking forward to the rest of the new trilogy but I don't need a hundred stand alone stories either. I am excited about RO because of it's tone and it really can be plugged right in after ROTS in the timeline and fits with the story of those movies as sort of a mini ANH prequel. 

But they are going to go overboard and kill it. 

39 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I am not interested in this movie either. I don't need to see what Han was up to, his mysterious past and all the trouble it's hinted at that he was up to is part of what I like about his character.

Agreed.  Add the history, and you lose the mystery. 

It's kinda like the Texas Chainsaw remake.  I mean, did they really need to tell us that Leatherface had a bad childhood?  No **** sherlock.  

And I'm super excited for Rogue One.  Can't go until tomorrow.  Gonna go on info lockdown until then.  See y'all on the other side. :)

36 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I agree that Disney will Marvelize Star Wars and it won't be an event or as special. Annual releases will just cause fatigue and I think eventually the quality will dip. I loved TFA and am looking forward to the rest of the new trilogy but I don't need a hundred stand alone stories either. 

Not that my opinion matters, but you are one of my favorite ES'ers and I respect your opinion a boat load, but I can't wait until you are forced to eat crow a few days from now :)

One of the things with R1 that is inconsistent and hurts A New Hope is:...

Spoiler

... Vader.  He literally just wrecks shop the last few minutes, then when you watch ANH and he allows the stormtroopers to go in and get shot up by the rebels, where as just a short time before, he killed all of the ones in his way on his own.  In ANH, he's also slower, less powerful. Its like he's aged 30 years in a span of 15 minutes...

Now, this does not ruin the movie for me, but JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER SW movies, there are things that don't make the most sense.  But it's ok.  The scene is amazing, probably one of the best in the film, but ultimately does not help ANH.  If you look hard enough, you can find fault with anything.

1 minute ago, codeorama said:

One of the things with R1 that is inconsistent and hurts A New Hope is:...

Hide contents

Now, this does not ruin the movie for me, but JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER SW movies, there are things that don't make the most sense.  But it's ok.  The scene is amazing, probably one of the best in the film, but ultimately does not help ANH.

I've got a theory...

Spoiler

since it's basically a matter of minutes between the end of RO & the start of ANH it could simply be that he had exhausted his abilities as he was also drawing on the Force for endurance & strenght. That could be tied into the meditaion chamber from ESB & the first scene in RO. It'd also been explained/shown with Palpatine vs Windu that signifigant use of the Dark Side had physical effects on the weilder. 

I enjoyed the movie, my son fell asleep for about 20 mins in the middle (he has been grounded).  I really liked Ben Mendelsohn as Krennic, and his white uniform and his troopers.  

Spoiler

Many of Bothans did not die to bring them the information and the Xwings took out those Walkers with ease, guess they armored up for Empire.

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Has there ever been a legendary/iconic character played by an iconic actor that was played by someone else and it ever worked out? The only example i can think of is De Niro playing a young Brando's Vito Corleone in the Godfather Part II. 

I think Ledger's Joker was even better than Nicholson's, and going into that movie I never thought I would think so.

3 minutes ago, gbear said:

I think Ledger's Joker was even better than Nicholson's, and going into that movie I never thought I would think so.

Other than Sean as Bond and Harrison as Solo/Indy, I got nothin'

On that level of legendary anyways.  Nothing that makes me cry.  

Han's back story isn't really a mystery though. Unless you mean that the EU has been declared non-canon so they may rewrite the back story. (Side note, that annoys me. The various Star Wars novels were preferred middle school reading for me, so to have them be reduced to essentially unofficial status doesn't sit well with me.)

At any rate, it's a moot point. They just recently announced a Han Solo film for 2018.

7 hours ago, TK said:

I've got a theory...

Hide contents

since it's basically a matter of minutes between the end of RO & the start of ANH it could simply be that he had exhausted his abilities as he was also drawing on the Force for endurance & strenght. That could be tied into the meditaion chamber from ESB & the first scene in RO. It'd also been explained/shown with Palpatine vs Windu that signifigant use of the Dark Side had physical effects on the weilder. 

Could very well be. My ultimate point is that IMO, you can tear down anything you want if you really want to. 

Archived