Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Nice official: Probably 30 people killed when truck runs through crowd

No Excuses

There are countless crowds of people in every corner of the world every single day. The idea that you can protect them all with concrete barriers is ludicrous.

if someone is running you down with a vehicle you can either hope to out run it or hope to have as large a caliber gun (rifle or otherwise) with as large a magazine as possible. Even if you dont stop it from hitting you maybe you could stop it from hitting someone else.

I too look forward to the day when our young children carry assault rifles at the playground to prevent rogue truck attacks.

There are countless crowds of people in every corner of the world every single day. The idea that you can protect them all with concrete barriers is ludicrous.

if someone is running you down with a vehicle you can either hope to out run it or hope to have as large a caliber gun (rifle or otherwise) with as large a magazine as possible. Even if you dont stop it from hitting you maybe you could stop it from hitting someone else.

Yep, we should all have bazookas just in case. Ya just neva know.

I bet you are a blast at mixers

Would he hop from group to group saying the same thing waiting for someone to bite? Or is that just message boards behavior?

I too look forward to the day when our young children carry assault rifles at the playground to prevent rogue truck attacks.

No but maybe their parents might have a large caliber handgun with a large clip to do just that.    After all, do you have a better idea?  Concrete barriers at every place that people might gather?  I do not expect that every truck could be stopped, nor do i expect truck killings to spread into an epidemic.  The point is that a deadly weapon can be just about anything, and your personal defense could require just the same. 

No but maybe their parents might have a large caliber handgun with a large clip to do just that. After all, do you have a better idea? Concrete barriers at every place that people might gather? I do not expect that every truck could be stopped, nor do i expect truck killings to spread into an epidemic. The point is that a deadly weapon can be just about anything, and your personal defense could require just the same.

I think the lesson here is that you can't plan for everything. Bad **** is going to happen*. Putting noob tubes in everyone's hands will cause way more problems than it will solve. You are acting like this happens all the time.

*at least until we rid the world of bad message board posters.

Widespread high-caliber firepower and extreme prejudice to all religions and their followers...

It sounds like a great plan.

Mockery and ridicule are just as effective. Especially when you are not starting at a position where you hold absurd supernatural beliefs yourself. Telling them their imaginary friends are not as nice as yours is not effective. Ridiculing all imaginary friends is far more valid.

I think the lesson here is that you can't plan for everything. Bad **** is going to happen*. Putting noob tubes in everyone's hands will cause way more problems than it will solve. You are acting like this happens all the time.

*at least until we rid the world of bad message board posters.

No of course not.   I am not scared of trucks, just like I am not scared of guns.   I wouldn't advocate everyone running around with guns, but I also would not advocate them not not being able to.     I think its telling that most people fears revolve around too many free citizens being able to walk around with guns,  while my  fears would revolve around too few. 

*at least i am a poster with a relatively low capacity magazine,  I will quickly grow bored of trying to fight the tide of stupidity and be off on my merry way. 

Mockery and ridicule are just as effective. Especially when you are not starting at a position where you hold absurd supernatural beliefs yourself. Telling them their imaginary friends are not as nice as yours is not effective. Ridiculing all imaginary friends is far more valid.

The state is most prevalent imaginary friend of them all.  Their followers have killed more in the past century then any god lovers.  By a long shot.

I think its telling that most people fears revolve around too many free citizens being able to walk around with guns,  while my  fears would revolve around too few. 

*at least i am a poster with a relatively low capacity magazine

This country is doomed.

I'm an atheist. However, I don't go around telling people what they believe in is a farce. It's none of your business what people choose to believe in. You really need to get off of your high horse that you've been parading around on in each and every thread talking about how silly and terrible religion is.

My choice not to believe doesn't put me above anyone who does believe, nor does yours. If believing in God makes someone happy than they should be allowed to do so without pretentious atheists constantly telling them how stupid they are. Enough already.

This country is doomed.

If it is doomed then it wont be americans with guns that does it.  Given the current evidence,  A truck driven by just about anybody is a far greater threat and a more deadly weapon then a gun.   While it might be true now that guns have been the tool of choice for those wishing to cause death and mayhem in the past.   The idea that it could just as easily be something even worse in the future, is very real..    Something that there is little protection against, and something that has nothing to do with guns.  Except that they actually might be one of the few defenses against it.   Knowing this has to change the mentality regarding the false promises offered by many gun control advocates as to what they can actually do to stop these type of attacks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/15/world/europe/nice-bastille-day.html?smid=tw-nytimesworld&smtyp=cur&_r=0

In Nice, a Vibrant Celebration Gives Way to a Trail of Death

A red ambulance, its lights flashing, sped down the road and jerked to a stop. The driver jumped out, asking, “Where are the wounded?”

“We only have dead here,” replied two men, trying to comfort a young man who was weeping over the body of his mother and imploring Allah to accept her into heaven.

An eerie tableau of death and dying extended along a mile-long stretch of the graceful, crescent-shaped Promenade des Anglais on Thursday night, running from Nice’s airport to the oldest part of the coastal city.

One moment, there was a great street celebration for France’s Bastille Day holiday — and the next, a truck came barreling through at high speed, leaving a trail of bodies, shock and despair through a French Riviera fiesta.

Among the first people killed by the speeding truck on the sidewalk next to Lenval Beach was the middle-aged Muslim woman. Two of her sons and other family members stood, weeping or frozen in stunned silence, around her body, which was covered in a pale blue tartan blanket.

Nearby there was another victim, an unidentified man sprawled on the sidewalk next to the beach beneath a bloodied sheet.

So numerous were the bodies that to protect their dignity, people had covered some of them with tablecloths snatched from the restaurants lining the Promenade des Anglais.

was talking about this tonight with my parents, after hearing someone on the news say they have to wait until somebody claims responsibility or something like that. I was like "wait...do people actually like...say out loud ohhh, it was us...#sorrynotsorry"? and apparently some terrorist groups do.

Sigh. Meanwhile,latest about the attack. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/15/world/europe/nice-france-truck-attack-what-we-know.html

Truck Attack in Nice, France: What We Know, and What We Don’t

A large truck plowed into a crowd gathered to watch Bastille Day fireworks in Nice, France, on Thursday, killing scores of people in what the president of France called a terrorist attack. 
  What We Know

• Around 10:30 p.m. Thursday, the truck sped down the promenade in the seaside city of Nice. French officials said that one man was identified as driving the truck, and he was shot dead by the police.

• At least 80 people were killed, the interior minister, Bernard Cazeneuve, said Friday morning, and dozens of others were injured, some severely.

• President François Hollande called it a terrorist attack, and he convened an emergency meeting at the Interior Ministry in Paris to discuss the situation. He said he would travel to Nice later on Friday.

• The president said he would request a three-month extension of the state of emergency declared after terrorist attacks in and around Paris in November. It had been scheduled to expire on July 26.

*Click Link for More* 

And from CNN 

Terror attack kills scores in Nice, France, Hollande says

(CNN)Scores of people were killed Thursday night when a large truck plowed through a Bastille Day crowd in Nice, France, in what President Francois Hollande called a terror attack.

The death toll grew through the night, with Hollande saying 77 people died. Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said 80 people were killed.
The driver first shot a gun into the crowd before driving two kilometers along the Promenade des Anglais, the main street in Nice, mowing down people who had gathered to watch fireworks, regional President Christian Estrosi told CNN affiliate BFM-TV.
Police shot and killed the driver, said Pierre-Henry Brandet, a spokesman for the French Interior Ministry. Police found firearms, explosives and grenades in the truck, Estrosi said.
"We cannot deny that it was a terror attack," Hollande said in a national television address. He added that the choice of the day -- Bastille Day, when France celebrates its post-French Revolution republic -- was particularly poignant.

*Click Link for More*

I'm an atheist. However, I don't go around telling people what they believe in is a farce. It's none of your business what people choose to believe in. You really need to get off of your high horse that you've been parading around on in each and every thread talking about how silly and terrible religion is.

My choice not to believe doesn't put me above anyone who does believe, nor does yours. If believing in God makes someone happy than they should be allowed to do so without pretentious atheists constantly telling them how stupid they are. Enough already.

pretension03.jpg

I think its sadly ironic that one of the few things that can stop someone in a large truck from indiscriminately running people over is the same weapons that everyone seemingly wants to ban.

But there is another thing that can stop a truck, a force equalizer that would have ended this attack almost before it began. A good guy with a truck. If all of those people had been in trucks of their own, this tragedy would never have happened.

Naa, just ban Assault Trucks all together because you never know what somebody is going to use them for and all anybody really needs is a small truck anyway.

Clearly only someone hired by the government should be able to commandeer such a dangerous weapon.

Latests news on this attack is 84 killed and hundreds wounded including 18 in critical condition.

Once again on our soil. And I feel terrible once again. don't feel like working again, today...

Why would you carpet bomb France?

Nice job on making me smile for a few mate :)

Well they do make terrible coffe

I would suggest you to check your taste mate, it doesn't look good :P

Thanks for the smile again.

If it is doomed then it wont be americans with guns that does it.  Given the current evidence,  A truck driven by just about anybody is a far greater threat and a more deadly weapon then a gun.   While it might be true now that guns have been the tool of choice for those wishing to cause death and mayhem in the past.   The idea that it could just as easily be something even worse in the future, is very real..    Something that there is little protection against, and something that has nothing to do with guns.  Except that they actually might be one of the few defenses against it.   Knowing this has to change the mentality regarding the false promises offered by many gun control advocates as to what they can actually do to stop these type of attacks.

AFAIK, planes aren't ban either... People walking carrying guns makes two things:

- You doesn't know if one of those is a terrorist, if we spot one here in France, we know we have to run to cover, which is the only smart thing to do. (your handgun not gonna bet AR).

- Just like in old FPS video games, people walking around with guns and assault Rifle, are free ammos for terrorists.

Still, not the thread to discuss that.

Thanks for respecting those that lost their lives and those that lost beloved one on a day of supposedly joy.

Of course there is no way to prevent a crazy person from harming others. Guns, truck, bomb, etc. The real key is to get the person before they move into action.

And by the way, the difference between a gun and truck is so large. A gun is created to kill. A truck is created to transport materials. All the, "ban trucks," jokes are dumb and just a front by gun rights advocates.

I don't even know where to begin. The jokes in this thread are in extremely poor taste. 84 people so far have lost their lives last night to a terrorist attack. Whether it was ISIS inspired or ISIS directed is immaterial. Let's just look at the highlights of the past few weeks.

June 12 - Orlando gay nightclub attack - 49 dead 53 injured

June 28 - Turkey Airport attack 38 dead 147 injured

July 1/2 - Bangladesh Restaurant Attack 22 dead

July 13 - French Terrorist attack 84 dead (so far), 50 injured. 

These are just the major attacks from the top of my head.  I don't ever recall AQ being this active and successful, although I do admit that AQ was always trying from something bigger and better each time instead of volume. Even if we beat ISIS on the battlefield, they are still going to be in the shadows. You have to stamp out the ideology and make in unacceptable. Unfortunately, you have to create a future for people who are uneducated and have little hope. I am not even sure that you can even solve that problem. You can't just give them jobs. There isn't enough money to give them jobs and education. How do you give people a future when we can't even fully employ our own citizens?

These are just the major attacks from the top of my head. I don't ever recall AQ being this active and successful, although I do admit that AQ was always trying from something bigger and better each time instead of volume. Even if we beat ISIS on the battlefield, they are still going to be in the shadows. You have to stamp out the ideology and make in unacceptable. Unfortunately, you have to create a future for people who are uneducated and have little hope. I am not even sure that you can even solve that problem. You can't just give them jobs. There isn't enough money to give them jobs and education. How do you give people a future when we can't even fully employ our own citizens?

This is getting at the heart of the problem.

How do you change the minds of these radical Muslims? How do you prevent them from recruiting others? How do you reach the recruits before ISIS does?

These, "lone wolf," attacks are just going to keep happening. I think all we can do is try to kill those doing the radicalizing. Cut the head off the snake.

Archived