Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BREAKING: Shooting at BLM Protest in Dallas

Duckus

To see a live BLM protest here in DC click the link below. It's kind of heartening to see so many races, ages, and genders linked in the hope of greater fairness and justice for all.

https://www.facebook.com/armando.trull/videos/vb.1053715491/10207954206427039/?type=2&theater&notif_t=live_video&notif_id=1468183959651718

The way it should be. The onus is on each individual. We should concentrate on violence as a whole not just cop shootings. What is going on in the likes of Baltimore and Chicago needs to be a top priority also.

Don't know how reputable this site is, but "uh oh" were the first words to pop iny head.

http://bearingarms.com/jenn-j/2016/07/09/mn-officer-involved-shooting-investigation-uncovers-explosive-evidence/

I havent read the rest of the thread yet, so maybe it's all be figured out, but the fact that they show one county's twitter account as saying they didn't issue the permit as some sort of evidence is kind of telling. Either they don't know how it works, or are purposefully throwing misleading information out there.

Unless he lived in the county when he got it, then there's no reason they would have paperwork.

downward spiral

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/07/10/gunfire-hits-san-antonio-police-headquarters/86915612/

5]Multiple gunshots were fired at the San Antonio Police headquarters building Saturday night, and police are seeking a suspect who was seen running from the area, SAPD Chief William McManus said.

5]The shots were fired just before 10 p.m. Saturday. There were no reports of injuries, but bullet marks were found on the exterior wall of the building,

So glad I'm going to San Antonio this weekend. Yay.

'Profiling' can extend beyond race, and police may be required to have to have a better reason other than a hunch. The LA bomber was stopped because a customs officer thought he was acting a bit odd. Profiling can be good security but obviously shouldn't be race-based.

My (white) son was pulled over late at night by police when driving through our neighborhood. They claimed he resembled a robbery suspect. He was wearing a hoodie at the time with the hood up, as he had just got into his modest car on a brutally cold winter night. If he resembled a robbery suspect it must have been the tip of their noses in common.

The real reason for the stop was they suspected a hoodie wearer in the middle of the night in a modest car in an affluent neighborhood.

I once got pulled over for going 54 in a 45 zone in my late teens.  The first thing the cop asks me when he comes to my window is if I had been in a fight.  Apparently, there had been a large brawl in the area, and they were looking for suspects.

This was like at 1 am, and I was driving home from work from Pizza Hut still in my uniform.  I looked at him said, I'm wearing a Pizza Hut uniform (it said Pizza Hut right across the front of the shirt). Do you really think I'd be out fighting wearing a Pizza Hut uniform?

I don't think I even looked suspicious.  I just happened to be driving a car on a road at the right time they thought the people involved in the brawl might have been driving on, and I was going 9 over the speed limit.

He gave me the ticket for going 9 over at 1 am when I was the only car on the road.

But don't forget that NC case about the officer ignorant of the law.  We average citizens can't be *ignorance of the law is not a defense* but police officers can be.  Craziest **** I've ever heard.  Seriously.  The craziest....well, Trump for President is certainly going to take the lead at some point, but still...

Speaking of craziest,that ignorance thing worked out pretty well for Hillary.

I was driving his me from school after a basketball game my senior year. It was around 11:30 pm. I came to the same 3 way stop sign I went through every day going home. I look right, and I hear a metallic tap on my window. Turn and there are 2 cops, guns drawn. They open my door, and tell me to exit my vehicle. I walk backward, Hands locked behind my head. I kneel and cross my ankles. I am handcuffed. They look in my car. They ask me what I am doing. I explain.

The tags and my license come back clean. They explain there is an undercover operation involving prostitution and heroin and me and my car (87 Sundance) matched the description of a suspect. I was 18.

Fast forward less than a year, me and my best friend are leaving open gym (midnight'ish) at Vint Hill Farm and a cop car come FLYING up behind us with lights and sirens on. We pull over, but nothing happens. We are just chilling in a Chevy Astro trying to figure out what is going on. 3 more cop cars come screaming up and basically surrounding us. We have 3 spotlights on us. 3 cops have drawn on us. We matched the description (2 white male in a white van) of suspects fleeing a reported rape.

Before the age of 20, I had been held at gunpoint twice. It sucks. It is scary. But I was never scared that they were going to shoot me. Because I hadn't done anything wrong and I complied in every aspect.

I tell those stories because it illustrates that there is a difference between being profiled for matching a description and being profiled for being a certain ethnicity. These anecdotal stories of "profiling" don't do anything to negate a systemic profiling of a race. All it does is make you look petty.

13% of the country nearly equal the same stats as 60%. That doesn't happen without policies in place that lead to those stats being equal. Those policies date back to the pre-civil rights era and have "evolved" with the times. War on drugs after introducing crack, stop and frisk, the list is out there.

The only way to move past an issue is to identify the issue, acknowledge the issue, discuss the issue to identify resolution, and implementing those resolutions. It is our duty as a country to complete this process. It's been identified. It's been acknowledged (begrudgingly by some it seems). Some discussion has taken place. The rest is to be seen...

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/giuliani-black-parents-should-teach-children-to-be-respectful-of-the-police-225342#ixzz4E1NpyS6K

Giuliani: Black parents should 'teach children to be respectful of the police'

In order to solve the issue of racial bias in policing, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani said Sunday, the United States needs to "look differently at race if we're going to change it."

For Giuliani, that means "maybe whites have to look at it differently and blacks have to look at it differently." It also means black people have "got to teach your children to be respectful to the police, and you've got to teach your children that the real danger to them is not the police," he said on CBS' "Face the Nation."

White people should recognize that African-American men and boys "have a fear of being confronted by the police because of some of these incidents," regardless of whether some people see it as "irrational" or "rational," he said.

The second reality, Giuliani said, is that there is "too much violence in the black community," remarking upon black-on-black violence being a greater danger than police-involved incidents.

"So if you want to deal with this on the black side, you've got to teach your children to be respectful to the police, and you've got to teach your children that the real danger to them is not the police. The real danger to them, 99 out of 100 times," is "other black kids who are going to kill them; that’s the way they’re gonna die," Giuliani said. "Now on the white side, we have to understand whether we get it or not there's an extraordinary fear of the police, and police have to institute a policy of zero tolerance like we did for crime in New York. Zero tolerance. No disrespect."

Of course there is. Black Lives Matter is not anti-police or anti-white. It's about life and addressing wrongs and injustices. Frankly, it's something we should all get behind. Mistakes can happen. Justifiable shootings can happen. We need to find a way to reduce the instances of unnecessary force. We need to find a way to stop unnecessary killing. There are unfortunate disparities in the treatment and sentencing of minorities. We ought to be striving towards fairness/equality.

Why should anyone disagree with that? Why should any group wanting to save innocent lives be called a terrorist outfit?

someone explain to me what's going on in this image.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36759711

Black Lives Matter: The Baton Rouge photo hailed as 'legendary'

In the wake of ongoing protests in the US against the killing of black men by police, more than to 100 people were arrested in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, on Saturday.

In the wake of the demonstrations, and growing debate over the seeming militarisation of American police, one photo has stood out.

It was taken by Jonathan Bachman, a New Orleans-based photographer who has been working for Reuters in the past few days.

https://twitter.com/tyriquex/status/752269454675812352

This photo has been everywhere. This is Leshia Evans, mother to a 5 y/o son, and she is still in jail. BatonRouge

6:33 PM

She was arrested for impeding traffic and reportedly was released a couple of hours ago.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/8ab52ecefa454a66b5affb35b2b162af/duty-st-louis-county-officer-kills-man-entering-home

Uncle: Web dispute over Black Lives Matter precedes killing

The uncle of a man fatally shot by an off-duty St. Louis County police officer said his nephew had been arguing with the officer on Facebook about Black Lives Matter.

Police said the officer shot Tyler Gebhard, 20, after he threw a 50-pound concrete planter through a window to enter the officer's Lakeshire home.

St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said the unnamed officer is a three-year veteran of the department and has been placed on administrative leave pending the investigation of the incident.

Gebhard's uncle, Patrick Brogan, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch (http://j.mp/29r2hhC ) that his nephew and the officer became acquainted through a church connection and had argued on Facebook about Black Lives Matter.

Brogan said Gebhard, who was biracial, empathized with the group's objectives but did not participate in protests. Details of the officer's race were not disclosed.

According to police, Gebhard was known to the family and had recently made online threats toward it and "uninvolved members of the community." Belmar declined to elaborate on the nature of the threats, citing the ongoing investigation.

Brogan said his nephew, a former Affton High School football standout who graduated in 2014, suffered from bi-polar disorder and sometimes didn't take his medicine.

"He had a lot of mental problems the last few months," Brogan said. "A lot of difficulties in life."

Of course there is. Black Lives Matter is not anti-police or anti-white. It's about life and addressing wrongs and injustices. Frankly, it's something we should all get behind. Mistakes can happen. Justifiable shootings can happen. We need to find a way to reduce the instances of unnecessary force. We need to find a way to stop unnecessary killing. There are unfortunate disparities in the treatment and sentencing of minorities. We ought to be striving towards fairness/equality.

Why should anyone disagree with that? Why should any group wanting to save innocent lives be called a terrorist outfit?

Most of what you said, I think most people will get behind.

Maybe you're not aware of the reason people accuse them of terrorist ties. I've posted a few times in this thread why that would be the case- aligning yourself with Assata Shakur.

How anyone is surprised at this outcome is what I don't understand.

(actually I think there are a couple of reasons, mainly, most people aren't aware of the connection or who she is)

Social Design Notes (blog):  Law Professor's Response to Black Lives Matter Shirt Complaint

A first year law school student wrote a complaint about her professor having worn a Black Lives Matter T-shirt during class. The professor’s response is priceless. 

Scans of the original letters were uploaded to the internet as images here. I’ve transcribed them below. 

To: REDACTED

Dear REDACTED,

We write this letter to you with concern about your inappropriate conduct at REDACTED Law School.

Specifically, you have presented yourself on campus, on at least one occasion, wearing a “Black Lives Matter” t-shirt. We believe this is an inappropriate and unnecessary statement that has no legitimate place within our institution of higher learning. The statement you represented and endorsed is also highly offensive and extremely inflammatory. We are here to learn the law. We do not spend three years of our lives and tens of thousands of dollars to be subjected to indoctrination or personal opinions of our professors.

REDACTED Law School has prided itself on the diverse demographics represented within the student body. Your actions however, clearly represent your View that some of those demographics matter more than others. That alienates and isolates all non-black groups.

As someone who is charged to teach criminal law, it should be abundantly clear to you and beyond any question that ALL lives matter, as it is expressed unequivocally in the law. Furthermore, the “Black Lives Matter” statement is racist and anti-law enforcement and has been known to incite violence in this country. As someone who is paid to teach the law, you should be ashamed of yourself.

More (including the professor's response, and lots of other things that I haven't read, yet) at the link.

Seeing a lot of clips and tweets about dramatic events in Baton Rouge tonight.

https://twitter.com/shazza_razza/status/752302034297163777

BRPD rushed inside woman's home & pulled out protesters who were inside to arrest them #BatonRouge

USA. 2016.

8:42 PM

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2016/07/10/baton-rouge-cops-contain-and-threaten-to-arrest-press.html?via=desktop&source=copyurl

Baton Rouge Cops Contain and Threaten to Arrest Press

Cops are containing reporters and threatening to arrest all journalists without credentials as protests continue against the police killing of Alton Sterling last week.

The Daily Beast and several other media outlets were forced into a 10-foot wide zone by police during a protest at France and East streets by hundreds of people on Sunday. Police then ordered all reporters without credentials out of the zone and threatened to arrest any who put a foot in the street.

“We’re giving you an official direction,” one officer told The Daily Beast. Arianna Triggs, a production assistant for NBC 33, told The Daily Beast she was also threatened with arrest and forced to move.

Minutes later, some of the 100 police in riot gear charged the area where protesters were legally gathered, forcing them into the street where they were then arrested for obstructing a highway. Reporters have been forced some six blocks away.

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/752312459625656321

Right now, outside the White House:

9:24 PM

CnDAMCuXEAE9_rx.jpg

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/752313346263777280

Recent chant: "Obama, come out! We have a lot to talk about."

9:27 PM

CnDA_nlXYAE0o6l.jpg

Seeing a lot of clips and tweets about dramatic events in Baton Rouge tonight.

BRPD rushed inside woman's home & pulled out protesters who were inside to arrest them #BatonRouge

USA. 2016.

8:42 PM

Really hope that's not true. (Or I suppose, second best option is that they actually had a legit reason for doing that).

Archived