Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

10 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Her doctor is saying that the abortion is medically necessary. 

How is Paxton allowed to disagree with this and practice medicine without a license?

How is the Texas Supreme Court able to legislate on this? They are a higher medical authority than her doctor?

Because MAGidiots!

• Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Great country we're living in

Not to be too graphic, but that dead fetus will expel itself eventually if she can't get a D&C soon enough (I know this because it happened to my stepdaughter on the morning hers was scheduled, we already knew the baby had died in utero.) 

This could become a very tragic emergency that could have been avoided. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Not to be too graphic, but that dead fetus will expel itself eventually if she can't get a D&C soon enough (I know this because it happened to my stepdaughter on the morning hers was scheduled, we already knew the baby had died in utero.) 

This could become a very tragic emergency that could have been avoided. 

Isn't there enough of a possibility that it WON'T get expelled and could cause a major medical concern? I remember learning about it in EMT school but nothing beyond that.

• Like 1

It’s unfortunate but this is likely what is needed to get people to understand. 

Unfortunately just telling people “but this could happen, or that, or that” isn’t really enough. People don’t tend to listen to others, especially with hypotheticals. 

You need real world examples to point to. My guess is we will need more than just these. 

• Like 1

Between now and the next election I'd expect legal challenges in almost every state with similar laws as Texas from women pregnant with a terminal prognosis for the fetus and either a danger of the woman dying or being unable to have children after this. We'll see the faces of women who wanted a baby and this is who people like Ken Paxton are going after. It'll be used by PACs in ads to why the GOP isn't pro-life or pro-health. It'll force the topic that people like Ted Cruz and John Cornyn won't even talk about happening in their own State.

Pregnant Texans Continue to Be Pulled Over in Carpool Lane After Abortion Ruling: ‘I Have Two Heartbeats in the Car’

fficials in Texas continue to ticket pregnant women for driving in the carpool lanes, despite the state's stance on abortion that grants unborn children the rights of people.

The pushback comes in response to the state's abortion ban, which prohibits abortions after detection of a fetal heartbeat.

A Texas woman, who did not wish to be named, told the Daily Mail she was alone in her car while pregnant and driving in a carpool lane, which is reserved for vehicles with two or more passengers, when she was ticketed. She protested the ticket, and is not the first pregnant woman to challenge the state's apparent hypocrisy.

Another woman, who only identified herself as Jacqueline, told the outlet she was pulled over in late June while pregnant and driving in the carpool lane.

When the officer asked if she had two people in the car, she said yes.

"Yes, I'm pregnant; I'm 32 weeks pregnant. I have two heartbeats in the car," Jacqueline recalled as her response.

She was ticketed and inspired to fight the ticket, plead not guilty and advance the issue after hearing about Brandy Bottone's story.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The amendment would explicitly protect abortion access until viability, estimated at around 24 weeks. This would override the state’s 15-week abortion ban and the 6-week ban lawmakers approved in April.

60% threshold though thanks to Florida

38 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

They'll play games to keep it off the ballot. 

Maybe not. They could easily just count on the 60% threshold as a good enough firewall. 

Although I could see them keeping it off the ballot out of fear that it might drive turnout among - people who might be inclined to vote against them. 

• Thumb up 1