Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who's your favorite Batman!

Burgold

Who's your favorite Batman?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who's your favorite Batman

Got to meet Adam West and Burt Ward yesterday at Awesome Con. Adam is still sharp and very funny. He gets it and just has so much fun with it. I suspect he tells the same stories often and the quips are well rehearsed, but since that was my first time meeting them... I had a ball.

I grew up with this Batman watching him as a kid in afternoon repeats after school as an adventure series and then resdiscovering it as a comedy in my teens. It still works mostly and it is a fund part of my pop culture memories.

Which Batman is your favorite? Do you need your Dark Knight to be dark or do you enjoy the other incarnations? I won't list all of 'em in the poll, but I'll try to be pretty inclusive.

As for Catwoman... while I really liked Michelle Pfifer's take... and Eartha Kitt was great it's probably Julie Neumar. Anne Hathaway wasn't really Catwoman. Good performance, but I don't think she's even on the list.

Frank Miller's Batman from All Star Batman & Robin.

Also, you forgot to spam a plug for your book again. :)

Nah, I went as a reporter and a fan this time and not as an author. :D If you want one I'll be more than happy to oblige.

Nah, I went as a reporter and a fan this time and not as an author. :D If you want one I'll be more than happy to oblige.

Just take the hint, keep that in you one thread like you've been asked to do before by other mods & quit quoting pics. ;)

I suspect Adam West's Batman would beat up Keaton's in a fight (that Bat costume looked so stiff and he could barely move), but lose to Bayle. However, I think West still gets him on gadgets. Christian Bayle would never have Bat shark repellent or a Bat laser.

Bale for me.  But I liked Keaton a lot, too.  I used to watch the tv show repeats when I was a kid, those were fun.  Adam West gets a mention.

I think Clooney/Kilmer were victims of bad scripts and terrible concepts for their movies.  Clooney at the time made decent sense to try and be Bruce Wayne.  Had the scripts and the movie not been complete crap, I think he could have held his own.

Think that Bale, Keaton, and West all deserve mentions, at least.

And I agree that that ranking is probably mostly due to the quality of their movies, rather than tha actors, themselves.

How much of the props for Bale is because he had such good surroundings, not least of which including Joker?

But then, the actors certainly contributed, too. I'm remembering Keaton. "My life is . . . . Complicated".

Probably Bale, but I'd have to go back and watch The Animated Series again to be sure.

I too grew up watching the campy 60s series Batman with Adam West. I need to order the set on DVD.

You can catch it every saturday night at the same bat time and same bat channel (MeTV)

The only negative to Bale's (<-- notice the spelling) Batman was the ridiculous voice he gave the Bats. He sounded like he had a pulled groin with a severe bout of constipation. I think Keaton was more believable as Bruce Wayne though.

Also..does anyone else think Aaron Eckhart (aka Harvey Dent/Two Face from the Dark Knight) would have made a good Batman had Bale not been selected? Seems like they wasted him in that role.

Edit..the movie sucked, but I think Halle Berry looked the part of Catwoman best from the "modern" movies.

I picked Conroy, because even though the Dark Knight  is an awesome movie, and Bale plays the best of the live actors, Batman the Animated Series was awesome from day one, it broke molds and set higher expectations. The first Bale movie is alright, but the third one is awful. Plus, the bat mask i so tight it makes him thpeak with a lithp and thpit a little bit.

Michael Keaton was ridiculous, there's nothing believable about a 5'9" Batman ..  I was surprised when they cast him and not surprised in that he was a shrimp in a bat-suit as expected. In the big Bat Movie of 89, he gets taken down instantly by the first two punks he faces, only to rise menacingly and scare them with his awesome Keaton Presence...  
the Joker's henchman manage to shoot him AND get his mask off in their first encounter...  he walks right into it..   later when the Joker kills the entire museum of people and has Vicky Vale in his clutches..  batman breaks through the skylight all awesome and bad, lands smack face to face with the joker,, grabs Vale ..  points hisBatGadget at the Joker's face, which fires two ropes, and and off he goes, leaving the joker in a museum full of murdered people to ponder where he gets his wonderful toys.

(Also with a nifty use of Batsmoke Batbombs to mask the Bat-exit the Joker was certainly glad he took. Bats does this because Vale has his picture,, which is obviously more important than arresting the guy who just murdered a few dozen people when he's 2 feet in front of your face.)
Later he fires machine guns into the crowded streets, but.. really, who cares anymore.
That movie gets a pass because it looked cool and it wasn't Adam West, but overall it is awful, and the other ones that came after it are even worse.

~Bang

IMO, Keaton was lousy as both. He's not believable in either Bruce or Batman's role,

Kevin Conroy from The Animated Series is the definitive Batman. It's a a perfect comic show and he nails the character.

However, given that Conroy is only voice acting, id have to say the best Batman is Bale from Batman Begins specifically, His voice is perfect here, not exaggerated like TDK or TDKR. It's disguised but menacing..scary a bit which plays into the fear and Batman as fear theme of the movie.

He is built like a tank in this movie too and brings a physicality to the role that was missing in his sequels. Some of my favorite Batman moments are from this movie such as when he strings Flass upside down to interrogate him and growls "swear to me!"

Additionally, as Bruce Wayne he absolutely kills it. The arc of Bruce in this movie as angry, bitter and veangeful college dropout to novice criminal to eventually a heroic Batman is outstanding. The desire to do good for Gotham is on display here and is expressed thru the character where it never was with Keaton. I love how Bale learns to play up the idiotic playboy Wayne to distract from any suspicion of his alter ego.

Bale brings so much heart to the role and to be fair, a lot of that is also due to the writing but Bale really shines.

Or this scene, where you can really see the seeds being planted in Bruce's mind that cause him to want to give up Batman so quickly and find a successor in TDK, doing prematurely causing a whole chain of events leading to Rachel and Harvey's deaths.

Batman begins to me is the definitive Batman movie and Bale plays the best Batman and Bruce in it. A lot of that is carried over into TDK and TDKR but I don't think it ever comes together as perfectly as it did in Begins.

Having said all that, I did love Affleck's Batman and Bruce and his standalone Batman movie could make me ultimately change my mind. So we will see.

Archived