Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who will have a bigger impact on Defense: Galette or Norman

Vanguard

They will help each other. But I think a good pass rush helps any corner more than the other way around.

Norman plays off, mainly in zone and is great at reading the QB and route combinations and breaking on the ball. He can get caught sometimes being aggressive though and if you don't have a good rush that makes the QB get the ball out quickly he can get in trouble. With Norman and Breeland along with Toler, Blackmon, Dunbar and maybe Culliver we have a good group of corners. Kerrigan, Galette and Smith give is 3 good edge rushers. 

Still question marks at safety but we are starting to put together a pretty good pass defense.

Maybe it is just me not setting the bar too high, but I will be happy keeping Galette on the field without injury and Norman won't draw any personal foul penalties with his battles with Becham, Bryant or the like. Just happy that the pieces are being placed for us to be a competative team against "playoff bound" teams that we will be going up against.

Wait, that's 6 damn good defensive players already mentioned in this thread.

Hail yeah.

We're probably going to suck against the run again looking at where that personnel is, but if that offense starts clicking fast outta the gate, were gonna dominate.

Not if we draft someone like andrew billings.

Does pass rushing make good DBs or do good DBs make the pass rush? Simple answer is yes; the better each plays the more it helps the other. Add in the other players mentioned and the shiny new DL we draft in the first round and the D should be fun to watch. HTTR!

Neither.

Bold prediction: our two best players on D next year will be Bashaud Breeland and Preston Smith.

I think Breeland will have a career year as teams become reluctant to pass to Norman's side of the field. I could also see us playing more of a mutant 4-3 in passing situations to get Smith, Galette and Kerrigan on the field at the same time, with Kerrigan playing DE.

Don't underestimate juniors pass rushing ability. He's looking healthy and explosive as of late.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/redskinsblog/how-junior-galettes-rehab-well-he-can-throw-down-windmill-dunk-ryan-kerrigan-washington-redskins

Dunking relates to pass rushing ability?

I'm hoping for the best but right now he cant be expected to play at a high level coming off of an achilles tear.

Norman will. He is the best player on our defense and it's not even close. Everyone says he is strictly a zone CB. That is simply not true. Carolina played man something like 15% of their defensive snaps last year. Norman dominated every receiver he faced except OBJ. OBJ caught a TD against him and dropped another one. I am sure Norman is salivating at the fact that he gets to face that guy at least twice a year for the next few years.

For what Norman was paid and from a talent level - it had better be him.

If Gallete plays lights out it would be awesome for 2016, but I think we'd have a tough time retaining him when he hits the market.

So for the long term health of the franchise I hope they both play well and Norman plays better.

Norman negating a #1 WR doesn't have the same value to me as Galette consistently making plays in the backfield, leading to other people making assist plays because of it.  Norman playing well will force a situation where we need to protect Breeland and Culliver from getting exposed (aka pass rush).

Norman will. He is the best player on our defense and it's not even close. Everyone says he is strictly a zone CB. That is simply not true. Carolina played man something like 15% of their defensive snaps last year. Norman dominated every receiver he faced except OBJ. OBJ caught a TD against him and dropped another one. I am sure Norman is salivating at the fact that he gets to face that guy at least twice a year for the next few years.

Yeah and Odell is one of the best WRs in the entire league easy. It's not shame getting beat a time or two by him. He is going to make his plays too Norman just can't make it a regular occurrence and we need to make sure that when it happens, its because the Giants are trying to catch up to our 20+ pt lead.

Does pass rushing make good DBs or do good DBs make the pass rush? Simple answer is yes; the better each plays the more it helps the other. Add in the other players mentioned and the shiny new DL we draft in the first round and the D should be fun to watch. HTTR!

sorta does a good ol or good qb argument

Joe Barry will have the biggest impact of all. 

If he still can't make it work with the pieces he's being given ......

Hail. 

He must have had an orgasm when he read the news about Norman's signing.

Word at Redskins Park is that Joe Barry bought a Santa's outfit for Scotty.

Archived