Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tesla Model 3 Release

SkinsHokieFan

Tesla in autopilot mode hits Snohomish County deputy’s SUV

A driver says their Tesla was in autopilot mode when they hit a Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office SUV Saturday.

A deputy was responding to a crash in the 25200 block of 103rd Ave NE in the Arlington area where a vehicle had sheared a power pole in half. The deputy was parked on the shoulder with his emergency lights flashing and had gotten out of the SUV to speak with firefighters.

About 30 seconds later, the Tesla hit the deputy’s SUV, causing significant damage, the sheriff’s office said.

But autopilot isn’t exactly what it sounds like; it’s a driver assist mode.

On Tesla’s website, the company states that, “Before enabling Autopilot, the driver first needs to agree to ‘keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times’ and to always ‘maintain control and responsibility for your vehicle.’”

The Washington State Patrol, which is leading the investigation into the crash, told KIRO 7 that even if a driver is in autopilot, they are “still required to be paying attention to the road and ready for hazards.”

The driver was ticketed for causing or permitting the vehicle to be unlawfully operated.

Safety experts said the scene in Arlington is becoming more and more frequent across the country.

Jason Levine is the Executive Director of the Center for the Auto Safety in Washington, D.C. He said it really comes down to people misusing the technology on the car, but also says at some point part of the blame falls on the company.

“They’re crashing into stopped vehicles on the road we’re seeing it with police vehicles, we’re seeing it with fire trucks, ambulances there was a turned over semi-truck the other day in California that resulted in a death,” he said. “When Tesla calls it autopilot, when Tesla calls it full self-driving, that convinces people that it’s something that it isn’t.”

Click on the link for the full article

This is where I get mad at them because it’s an engineering ****up

you dont design something you label as true auto pilot with features that are basically true auto pilot with a caveat of you need to handle the edge cases, then release it to the public with a silly waiver saying you understand it isn’t true auto pilot. 

It’s reckless. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, tshile said:

you dont design something you label as true auto pilot with features that are basically true auto pilot with a caveat of you need to handle the edge cases, then release it to the public with a silly waiver saying you understand it isn’t true auto pilot. 

It’s reckless. 

I'm kind of shocked that the government has given them so much leeway on the way they marketed "full self driving". Guessing part of it was to move the ev industry along, which will explode with other brands in the next couple of years. There's definitely cause to come down hard on Tesla for it, and I wouldn't be shocked if it's part of their downfall (aside from competition that can actually make panels match)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Placed an order for a Y. 

going to love it!!!! Congrats.

On 5/18/2021 at 11:25 PM, tshile said:

It’s reckless. 

Any time someone is looking at there phone while driving they are driving on autopilot.

The standard isn’t is Tesla’s autopilot completely safe. That’s a rediculous standard.

The standard should be is it safer than the absence of similar safety features. It is.

The accident would have happened regardless of the car having autopilot or not because the driver wasn’t paying attention. He wasn’t paying attention in a Tesla and he wouldn’t have been paying attention in a Kia.

There’s no evidence to support the assumption that drivers using Tesla’s fsd product pay less attention.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

I would not recommend buying a old roadster. The batteries are gonna be trash and it is very expensive to work on them. Tesla doesn’t support or work on them anymore.

i am somewhat surprised that an 08 f150 is going for more than an 08 Tesla roadster though...

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

9 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

08ish used Tesla Roadsters are starting to pop up at the auctions these days.

Theyre bringing solid money, but nowhere near what F150s are doing...comparatively.

That’s because you live in Trump country. F150s are a badge of honor. Much easier to fly that Trump flag from the cargo bed than from a Tesla Roadster. 

Besides, those ‘lectric cars are a liberal commie plot to take over our minds!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Lebanon Debuts Its First Car And It's An Electric Doozy

Power comes from a 50-kilowatt lithium-ion battery that helps deliver 160 horsepower (119 kilowatts) to the rear wheels through a single-speed transmission. Eighteen-inch staggered forged aluminum wheels sit at the corners.

Gallery: Electra Quds 

electra-quds-rise-ev.webp

8 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

160hp???? That seems low for an ev... model 3 base model has 275hp.....  the highest end Tesla S plaid plus has 1100 hp.... new roadster unknown but it will go 0-60 in 1.1 seconds....

Isn't torque the big thing for electric cars?

13 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Approximately how long did it take for your car to be delivered from the date you ordered it? 

well... I mean, I ordered it a week before Covid shut everything down so I didn’t get it until June. 

When I took deliver of the model three earlier it took about three weeks.

looks like the chip shortage coupled with high demand is causing delivers to take about 4-6 weeks.

i would highly suggest you join TeslaMotorsClub.com if you want to learn a lot about Tesla. 

On 5/26/2021 at 9:08 PM, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Will do. Right now they are giving me 4-12 weeks. 

my coworker ordered his in December 2019 and didn’t get it till June. 

its gonna be 12 weeks

Also, Tesla paint sucks a giant hairy dick. Prepare to have it wrapped, ceramic coated, paint protection. Whatever. My 6 month old car has chipped paint.

Tesla has a wonderful ability to promise the very most and deliver the very least.

That said, my model 3 will smoke 95% of the cars on the road so I’m cool.

@Dr. Do Itch Big

If possible, I would recommend trying to delay delivery six months. All you hav ego do is tell them you want to delay delivery and they will move you to the back of the line.

the reason is that within the past two weeks, Tesla has removed some features from the model 3/model y.

They removes the radar because, according to them, they want to roll out Tesla Vision which will use cameras only for auto pilot. However, the camera system isn’t on par with the radar/camera combo now and it may not be, especially after dark.  

In addition, they have gotten rid of the passenger side lumbar support adjustment because “not many people use it”

however, the real reason for both issues is likely the global chip shortage.  Hopefully in six months or so the chip shortage will decrease and they will start adding these features back. Or at least the price increases Tesla have implemented might go away. Tesla has a history of changing their prices up and down as supply/demand changes.  The other thing to keep in mind is if you want full self driving, if you do delay your order you may have to pay more for it, as there is some source code that shows that FSD might increase in price to 14K soon. 

Up to you how important those features are, but just thought you should know.

Thanks for the heads up, I’ve been following the issue and I’m not 100% on what to do yet.

While I find their excuse about radar limiting FSD in the future plausible, I’m more inclined to believe it is to save money.  As for FSD I’m not interested and opted. 

Reading stories on Reddit about having auto high beam required for adaptive cruise control and random flashing of high beams is disappointing. What I’m curious about is will Tesla continue to support cars with radar? Cause if vision is the future then they will have to opt out radar from future updates right?