Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tesla Model 3 Release

SkinsHokieFan

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

So Model X? Overpriced SUV with better options in the price range or worth the $$$?

Asking for a friend 😶

The model x is supposed to be getting a major refresh in the next few months, so i’d wait to see, Right now i would do the model y over the model x, but it depends on what is in the update.  Right now the major advantage the x has over the y is that it has an actual usable third row and you can configure it so that the second row is two bucket seats with a space to move toward the back in the center. So if you need a lot of room, x maybe wins out, otherwise you can get almost the same performance and better tech in the care for 30k less.

49 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Oh, here's my new Model 3 on the day I got it. Named it Rudolph (the reindeer, not the corrupt politician)

It's fast. Like ridiculously fast. I don't know that I've ever been in a car so fast, let alone drive one. Launching feels like you are shot out of a cannon, or like a roller coaster that starts from a dead stop (Flight of Fear or Volcano, for the old school Kings Dominion heads).

Auto pilot and Auto steer are two things that actually caught me by surprise. I never use cruise control. These two features make driving on highways a breeze. Just set it, and the car does the rest. Goes as fast as you want, follows the cars in front of you as far away as you want. Slows down and speeds up with traffic. Changes lanes when you put on your turn signal. Keeps the lanes very, very well. I was amazed. 

1xi7TOq.jpeg

I have no info about the Model X. Couldn't even tell you what their base price is. Bears noting that at least on the Model 3, the base model leaves enough to be desired that you'll naturally gravitate towards the more expensive models.

I can say that I'm not a huge fan of the wing doors though. Seems like they might get in the way, such as in a garage where side space is limited.

hell yeah. 

Watch out for curb rash, the larger your rims the easier they are to get scraped.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Watch out for curb rash, the larger your rims the easier they are to get scraped.

You're a day late homegirl. Pulled into a street parking spot yesterday, heard the "cccrrrrrrrrrrpp" and my heart sank. The rubber bands they stretch onto these gigantic wheels offer exactly no protection. Don't remember the last time I nicked a curb but this did it. Already looking into wheel repair. I nearly cried. Wife said, "Well, at least we got that over with, and at least it was you and not me."

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, China said:

I thought Tesla has an Auto Park feature so you can avoid the wheel scrape?

it does but it only worked under some scenerios. There has to be a car in each adjacent space and you have to drive slowly past the space. I’ve only used auto park once in 2 years of ownership. 

Autopark and summon are more parlor trick than useful feature.

These Repair Bulletins for Tesla's Quality Problems Are Downright Embarrassing—and Serious

It's no secret that Tesla tends to ship cars to customers with questionable fit and finish. Sometimes components don't fit the way they should, so fake wood from Home Depot is used to ensure they do. Other times, glass roofs simply detach while driving down the highway. This time, however, it's not a random Facebook rant or one-off tweet telling us Tesla is selling vehicles of questionable quality, it's the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), via recalls and service bulletins.

Thanks to Bozi Tatarevic on Twitter, we know about errors numerous enough to warrant a response from the NHTSA, and some of them are pretty bad. They include low-grade rust repair, fixes to bodywork using a dead-blow hammer, and missing fasteners. We're not talking about a couple of loose lug nuts, either. We're talking parts missing from the car's power system that may affect battery charge and discharge, and even nuts missing in the front suspension.

Click on the link for the full article

• 2 months later...

Russian Pleads Guilty To Conspiracy To Introduce Malware Into Tesla's Computer Network

A Russian citizen who was arrested in the United States last summer has pleaded guilty to conspiracy to introduce malware into the computer network of automaker Tesla.

The U.S. Justice Department said on March 18 that Yegor Kryuchkov pleaded guilty in federal court "for conspiring to travel to the United States to recruit an employee of a Nevada company into a scheme to introduce malicious software into the company’s computer network."

According to the statement, in the summer of 2020, the 27-year-old Kryuchkov and his accomplices tried to bribe a company employee, offering him $1 million to install malicious software to get access to the firm's network so that Kryuchkov could extort cash from Tesla by threatening to make the stolen data public.

• 1 month later...

Seems to me there should be a safety feature that prevents the car from driving without a human behind the wheel.

‘No one was driving the car’: 2 men dead after fiery Tesla crash in The Woodlandds, officials say

Two men are dead after a Tesla traveling in The Woodlands crashed into a tree and no one was driving the vehicle, officials say.

The crash happened at 11:25 p.m. Friday in the Carlton Woods subdivision near The Woodlands. The car burst into flames after hitting a tree near 18 Hammock Dunes Place.

Harris County Precinct 4 Constable Mark Herman told KPRC 2 that the investigation showed “no one was driving” the fully electric 2019 Tesla when the accident happened. There was a person in the passenger seat of the front of the car and in the rear passenger seat of the car.

Herman said authorities believe no one else was in the car and that it burst into flames immediately. He said it he believes it wasn’t being driven by a human.

The brother-in-law of one of the victims said relatives watched the car burn for four hours as authorities tried to tap out the flames.

Authorities said they used 32,000 gallons of water to extinguish the flames because the vehicle’s batteries kept reigniting. At one point, Herman said, deputies had to call Tesla to ask them how to put out the fire in the battery.

There is.  There are many. The article is factually inaccurate.

1) Autopilot cannot be activated on a road without lane markings. The crash occurred on a road without lane markings.

2) Autopilot can only be set to drive a maximum of 5 miles over the speed limit on undivided roads.

3) Autopilot requires the seatbelt be worn to be activated and will disengage if the seat belt is undone (ie to move to the back seat)

Elon Musk tweeted:

Also, the dudes investigating the car said the battery acid caused the fire to take a long time to be put out; a lithium ion battery does not have battery acid...

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

There is.  There are many. The article is factually inaccurate.

Also, the dudes investigating the car said the battery acid caused the fire to take a long time to be put out; a lithium ion battery does not have battery acid...

I don't see anything in the article referring to "battery acid"  just that they couldn't extinguish it and called Tesla for assistance.

3 minutes ago, China said:

I don't see anything in the article referring to "battery acid"  just that they couldn't extinguish it and called Tesla for assistance.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/investigators-explosive-tesla-car-crash-killed-texas/story?id=77153506

The battery acid from the car was highly flammable and made the fire extremely difficult to contain, according to Herman. Eventually, the firefighters had to let the fire burn itself out.

herman is the sherif dude...

been following this one for a while...

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/2-die-in-tesla-crash-report-says-nobody-was-in-driver-seat.226062/page-4

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/investigators-explosive-tesla-car-crash-killed-texas/story?id=77153506

The battery acid from the car was highly flammable and made the fire extremely difficult to contain, according to Herman. Eventually, the firefighters had to let the fire burn itself out.

herman is the sherif dude...

been following this one for a while...

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/2-die-in-tesla-crash-report-says-nobody-was-in-driver-seat.226062/page-4

Yeah, that guy sounds ignorant.  If it is a lithium battery, then those fires are known to be difficult to extinguish, and firemen should be aware (trained) that they need to use something other than water, such as class D extinguishers.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm surprised they don't have a weight sensor in the driver's seat that prevents something like this:

UPDATE: CHP Announce Arrest of Man Who Rode in Back Seat of Driverless Tesla Across Bay Bridge

HP in the East Bay on Tuesday announced the weekend arrest of the man spotted riding across the Bay Bridge in the back seat of a Tesla Model 3 operating on “Autopilot” mode with no one in the driver’s seat.

Tesla.jpg?resize=620,349

The California Highway Patrol said officers arrested 25-year-old Param Sharma on Sunday evening for reckless driving of a Tesla while in the backseat on Interstate 80 in the Bay Area. Authorities said Sharma was arrested without incident and booked into Santa Rita Jail on two counts of reckless driving and disobeying a peace officer.

1 hour ago, China said:

I'm surprised they don't have a weight sensor in the driver's seat that prevents something like this:

UPDATE: CHP Announce Arrest of Man Who Rode in Back Seat of Driverless Tesla Across Bay Bridge

HP in the East Bay on Tuesday announced the weekend arrest of the man spotted riding across the Bay Bridge in the back seat of a Tesla Model 3 operating on “Autopilot” mode with no one in the driver’s seat.

Tesla.jpg?resize=620,349

The California Highway Patrol said officers arrested 25-year-old Param Sharma on Sunday evening for reckless driving of a Tesla while in the backseat on Interstate 80 in the Bay Area. Authorities said Sharma was arrested without incident and booked into Santa Rita Jail on two counts of reckless driving and disobeying a peace officer.

Likewise, I am surprised that hot water heater manufacturers make a device that can turned into a bomb when you defeat all of its safety features....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Likewise, I am surprised that hot water heater manufacturers make a device that can turned into a bomb when you defeat all of its safety features....

Somehow I thought the technology and the failsafes in a Tesla would be a little more sophisticated and difficult to disable than those in a water heater.  But I suppose there's always somebody with too much time, enough tech knowledge, and too little common sense to take it too far.

• Like 1

Al my car's front passenger seats have a ****ing sensor that warns the passenger seat airbag is off when no one sits in the seat. You're telling me Telsa can't implement a failsafe to operation of their cars?

Elon Musk is a genius right? Or is he that big of a fan of E-40? 😁

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952d37ba3b7cc36e74bf

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Al my car's front passenger seats have a ****ing sensor that warns the passenger seat airbag is off when no one sits in the seat. You're telling me Telsa can't implement a failsafe to operation of their cars?

Elon Musk is a genius right? Or is he that big of a fan of E-40? 😁

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952d37ba3b7cc36e74bf

Ok, so Tesla does that. How you get around if is you:

1) fasten the seatbelt before you sit down.

2) sit in the car, put the car in drive.

3) activate autopilot 

4) without touching any of the controls shimmy to the back seat.

if you touch the steering wheel while you are working your way to the back, you could win a Darwin Award since the car detects a steering input and will disable auto steer.

if you unbuckle the seat belt autopilot is automatically disabled and you have to have the seat bell buckled to activate it. You have to be in the seat to put in drive. But it only checks for the seat weight when you shift into drive. Probably an oversight but honestly I don’t think Tesla should be responsible for making sure assholes don’t turn their car into a circus.

15 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Ok, so Tesla does that. How you get around if is you:

1) fasten the seatbelt before you sit down.

2) sit in the car, put the car in drive.

3) activate autopilot 

4) without touching any of the controls shimmy to the back seat.

if you touch the steering wheel while you are working your way to the back, you could win a Darwin Award since the car detects a steering input and will disable auto steer.

if you unbuckle the seat belt autopilot is automatically disabled and you have to have the seat bell buckled to activate it. You have to be in the seat to put in drive. But it only checks for the seat weight when you shift into drive. Probably an oversight but honestly I don’t think Tesla should be responsible for making sure assholes don’t turn their car into a circus.

My riding lawnmower has better safety.  If the drive is engaged and the weight is removed from the seat it automatically shuts off.  Not sure why it wouldn't be the same.

5 hours ago, China said:

My riding lawnmower has better safety.  If the drive is engaged and the weight is removed from the seat it automatically shuts off.  Not sure why it wouldn't be the same.

Try getting out if the drivers seat in any car while it is moving and see what happens....

I agree it’s an oversight, one that will probably be corrected in a software update, but it doesn’t make the car unsafe. Clowns do that, and clowns can make anything unsafe.

• Like 1

Tesla’s are no more safe than most other new cars. “Autopilot” is just a fancy term for adaptive cruise control with steering assist. “Full self driving” is absolute snake oil.

They have the exact same safety features as other cars, sometimes even less so. They have sensors that detect occupancy. If someone defeats that using a rudimentary method then so be it. Tesla’s aren’t this supercomputers on wheels that people make them out to be.

Their genius is actually in their simplicity.

• Like 1