Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tesla Model 3 Release

SkinsHokieFan

3 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

You actually pilot it with a Dualshock 5.

Did my best to pull up a screenshot from Men In Black when the car goes into boost mode and a playstation controller replaces the steering wheel, but couldn't find a good one.

Edited by PokerPacker

9 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

In the description he gives he talks about the wide screen displays with entertainment content.  Do we really want people watching entertainment on a widescreen while driving?  Maybe they should hold off on that feature until driverless cars are a reality.

• 1 month later...

NTSB: Tesla driver was playing video game at time of fatal crash, new safety measures needed for driver assist systems

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) says the driver of a Tesla SUV who died in a Silicon Valley crash two years ago was playing a video game on his smartphone while his vehicle was being controlled by a partially automated driving system.

Chairman Robert Sumwalt said at the start of a hearing Tuesday that systems like Tesla's Autopilot cannot drive themselves, yet drivers continue to use them without paying attention.

“If you own a car with partial automation, you do not own a self-driving car,” Sumwalt said in opening statements. “This means that when driving in the supposed ‘self-driving’ mode, you can’t read a book, you can’t watch a movie or TV show, you can’t text and you can’t play video games.”

The board will determine a cause of the crash at the hearing and make recommendations to prevent it from happening again. Sumwalt says government regulators have ignored the board's previous recommendations for measures to prevent these crashes.

Click on the link for the full article

Tesla needs to put cameras in the car that track people’s eyes, like subaru’s eyesight does. Then we wouldn’t have to tug on the wheel every 15 seconds.... and people couldn’t fall asleep at the wheel.

I cannot imagine falling asleep with AP on... i will never bee that comfortable with it.  My biggest concern with AP is like what happened with that one model three where the guy turned on AP on a road where AP generally does a good job, diverts his attention for just a few seconds, and has a truck pull out in him and gets decapitated... Because, you expect autopilot to be able to handle those types of roads, you aren’t expecting a truck to pull out, and you only have like 3-4 seconds to react. It’s a reminder for me to be vigilant... 

• 4 weeks later...

Thought this was an interesting aside that I hadn’t considered:

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/tesla-reportedly-removing-paid-features-124900595.html?bcmt=1

”Jalopnik has run a couple of interesting stories on the experiences a number of people have had after buying used TeslasIt started last month with a story on a man named Alec, who bought a used 2017 Tesla Model S from a used-car dealer last December. The dealer, United Traders, bought the car directly from Tesla at an auction on November 15, 2019. At the time of that auction sale, the Model S had Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self Driving Capability options installed, which the original owner had paid a combined $8,000 for, as listed on the Monroney that Tesla gave the dealer. On November 18, Tesla ran an audit of the software in its vehicles, including the Model S now owned by the dealership, and removed Enhanced Autopilot. The automaker did not inform the dealer of the changes to the Model S, so the dealer sold the sedan to Alec on December 20 believing the car contained what was on the Monroney.”

continued in the link

Edited by stoshuaj

• 1 month later...

You know, I considered buying a Tesla but I don’t think I can justify the risk of buying a car from a tech startup helmed by a megalomaniac who is becoming increasingly more unhinged.

There’s a very good possibility that Tesla fails to exist in a few years time.

Edited by Springfield
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

@Springfield I heard you were looking for a fun car to drive.... the Sr+ is very fun to drive.

top of the budget looks like you were looking to drop 25-30k but you won’t regret it :P

Edit: I posted this In response to your post in the Econ thread, not noticing your post right above this one lol

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

@Springfield I heard you were looking for a fun car to drive.... the Sr+ is very fun to drive.

top of the budget looks like you were looking to drop 25-30k but you won’t regret it :P

Edit: I posted this In response to your post in the Econ thread, not noticing your post right above this one lol

Tesla still seems cool. But maaaaaaan is that Elon Musk nutso.

8 hours ago, Springfield said:

Tesla still seems cool. But maaaaaaan is that Elon Musk nutso.

just drive one and you will forget all about Elon Musk.... btw, him calling CA politicians fascist was just him tickling the nether-regions of Texas politicians for incentives for his Texas gigaplant for cybertruck 

• 2 weeks later...

Tesla on 'autopilot' hits Nash County deputy's cruiser, while driver watches movie

A man was driving his Tesla on "autopilot mode" early Wednesday when he nearly missed hitting a Nash County deputy standing outside his cruiser – before crashing into patrol cars from the Nash County Sheriff's Office and State Highway Patrol parked on the side of U.S. Highway 64.

Devainder Goli, a Raleigh doctor, was in the Tesla, watching a movie on his cell phone while his car drove itself, officials said.

94328-DSCN0115-DMID1-5nz7izd9k-480x360.j

94329-DSCN0122-DMID1-5nz7kryb9-640x360.j

• 4 weeks later...

Tesla CEO Elon Musk says company can build a $25,000 self-driving car within three years

Tesla CEO Elon Musk offered new delivery predictions for 2020 at the company’s shareholder’s meeting on Tuesday, where the company also detailed a new battery design that it claims will make its cars cheaper to produce.

Musk said he expects vehicle deliveries to increase by 30 to 40 percent over last year, when the company reported deliveries of 367,500 vehicles. The new guidance from Musk implies deliveries of between 477,750 and 514,500 cars, a range that encompasses the company’s previously stated goal to deliver half a million cars in 2020.

“In 2019, we had 50% growth. And I think we’ll do really pretty well in 2020, probably somewhere between 30 to 40 percent growth, despite a lot of very difficult circumstances.”

Musk also said the battery and manufacturing advances Tesla is working on will soon lead to lower prices, which will be vital for getting more electric vehicles on the road. “About 3 years from now, we’re confident we can make a very compelling $25,000 electric vehicle that’s also fully autonomous,” he claimed. Musk is notorious, however, for being overly optimistic with his predictions.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Tesla will be the #1 car maker by 2025 in the world. 

Um, no.  Not even close.  Even if Tesla has a 40% year over year gain in production (which would probably necessitate new factories which presumably take time to build), by 2025 they would still only be producing fewer than 3 million vehicles.  Toyota, the current #1 is producing more than 8 million vehicles.  I don't see their market share decreasing by more than 50% in the next 5 years.

Number one in the cool way, not numbers wise is what @skinsfan2k meant I’m sure. 

however, Tesla’s factory in China just opened, they are building two more currently, one in China and one in Texas, and there are two others in the planning phase, so I wouldn’t fully discount them from growing at 50-60 percent year/year

• Like 1

California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed an order yesterday that aims to end the sale of new gasoline and diesel-powered passenger cars in California by 2035.  

Bold and interesting move.  The technology seems to be right on the cusp of this being a reality.  Imagine not giving a **** about Middle East Oil.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-09-23/sales-new-gasoline-cars-banned-by-2035-what-you-need-to-know

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tesla Model 3 thief left licence in Mix presenter Annabelle Brett’s allegedly stolen car

A Canberra radio presenter has taken down an aspiring Tesla thief after they forgot one of the carmaker’s main draws – and then left personal effects behind in the abandoned car.

Mix 106.3 Drive show presenter Annabelle Brett received a number of alarming notifications from the Tesla app on her phone at around 6.20am on Thursday morning.

While she was getting ready to start her day, the app was informing her that her Tesla was going for a drive.

“I got a ping on my phone that my car alarm was going off,” she told the Hit network’s Hughesy and Ed.

After the alarm notification, Ms Brett dispatched a friend to check, who arrived in the car park to find her car gone.

The thieves apparently knew a little bit about what they were doing, removing linked iPhones from the car in an effort to prevent them being tracked, but they were unable to take away the primary iPhone belonging to Ms Brett.

She and her friend then began tracking the car while calling police.

“We could see that it was driving out of the garage … we did not think it through probably very well, we decided to get in the car and chase them.”

Ms Brett also decided to have a little fun with the alleged thieves, placing a speed limit on the car, rolling down the windows and honking the horn using the app on her phone.

Around two blocks from her home, they found the alleged thief in a public park getting into another car and leaving her Tesla behind.

“I started filming as I approached the scene where they’d pulled over and police were on the way. They left my car and started driving off and flipped me the bird,’ Ms Brett told the Daily Mail.

Ms Brett said she later found a driver’s licence belonging to the alleged thief inside the vehicle, which led police right to them.